New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Deliberately terrible character ideas

Vow of Nonviolence/Peace Frenzied Berserker.

"Please don't make me angry. Seriously, PLEASE."

This might actually prove a compelling story. You could be the guy who turned his back on war and taken the vows after going berserk and slaying your old party. Bonus points if you go into Apostle of Peace, as there is still the constant threat of failing a will save, entering a frenzy, and losing all your class features.

Omg I post in a joke thread and discover my next character.
    Last edited by Nousos; 2014-08-18 at 10:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nousos View Post
    Vow of Nonviolence/Peace Frenzied Berserker.

"Please don't make me angry. Seriously, PLEASE."

This might actually prove a compelling story. You could be the guy who turned his back on war and taken the vows after going berserk and slaying your old party. Bonus points if you go into Apostle of Peace, as there is still the constant threat of failing a will save and losing all your class features.

Omg I post in a joke thread and discover my next character.
    This is fantastic...

Similarly: Kender Rogue focused on thievery, with a vow of poverty and all class skills based around sneaking and stealing things. This character not only steals treasure from the party, but donates it all to her church afterwards.

Bonus points for any ACF's that get rid of useful combat abilities in exchange for being able to steal even more.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Tyr View Post
    This is fantastic...

Similarly: Kender Rogue focused on thievery, with a vow of poverty and all class skills based around sneaking and stealing things. This character not only steals treasure from the party, but donates it all to her church afterwards.

Bonus points for any ACF's that get rid of useful combat abilities in exchange for being able to steal even more.
    Haha I'd love to see him a party with an Apostle of Peace. He pathologicly steals all of his magic items, but the apostle can't complain because he gives it to the church.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've always wondered what a DM's reaction to a character who takes one (and only one) level in every single class would do. Of course, you can't do all 11 core classes due to alignment restrictions, but still.

"You're playing a level 1 fighter? Okay, cool."
    "Multiclassing to Barbarian at level 2? Makes sense, I guess."
    "Ranger? Really? I guess the Favored Enemy is kind of useful."
    "I mean, yes, you can use sneak attacks, but I think a fourth class at level four isn't wise."
    "Cleric? We really don't NEED a backup healer so much as someone... useful."
    "If you really want your character to learn the lute, just spend some ranks in Perform. You REALLY don't need to multiclass to Bard..."
    "You realize Sorcerer spells have a pretty high fail chance in armor..."
    "...same as Wizard spells."
    "And now you're a Druid, too. I guess... you know, I'm not even going to try to rationalize this."

I think that's pretty much the most useless 9th-level character ever... I'd just be curious to see how long a DM would let this go on
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #35

BlackDragon

Make a Buomman Bard that inspires his allies, casts spells, and communicates entirely through interpretive dance. Further since he considered his dance a matter of "art", and believes in the artistic phgilosophy of "death of the author", he accepts whatever anyone thinks he is trying to communicate as an equally valid interpretation of what he is "saying".
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...lateral+damage

This is a thread about creating a character so specialized it can only cast spells that do massive damage to everything. I think they eventually got it to a character that can create a tornado/hurricane miles wide that lasts for several hours, and refuses to prepare any other spells. So every time you get into a fight, you not only obliterate the enemy, you wipe out the entire town. Anyone gets mad, just look dumbfounded and say its the only spell you know...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    I've always wondered what a DM's reaction to a character who takes one (and only one) level in every single class would do. Of course, you can't do all 11 core classes due to alignment restrictions, but still.

"I mean, yes, you can use sneak attacks, but I think a fourth class at level four isn't wise."
    "If you really want your character to learn the lute, just spend some ranks in Perform. You REALLY don't need to multiclass to Bard..."
    "And now you're a Druid, too. I guess... you know, I'm not even going to try to rationalize this."

I think that's pretty much the most useless 9th-level character ever... I'd just be curious to see how long a DM would let this go on
    That's not true, you just lose access to most of the abilities.

LG monk 1,
    Paladin 1,
    NG Druid 1,
    Bard 1,
    Cleric 1,
    Barbarian 1,
    Ranger 1,
    Rogue 1,
    Fighter 1,
    Sorcerer 1,
    Wizard 1

To be fair, you just have to be LG for your first 2 levels and take monk and paladin. Then go to NG for the rest. You lose out on many of the class abilities but you could still do it.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

IIRC monk actually keeps most of its abilties. You just can't advance any further.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Petal Warblade with Spiked chain and Insightful Strike.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: Deliberately terrible character ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Nousos View Post
    Haha I'd love to see him a party with an Apostle of Peace. He pathologicly steals all of his magic items, but the apostle can't complain because he gives it to the church.
    What would be hilarious is if he picked up a truncheon version of the -2 Cursed Sword. Forced to always draw it and beat people unconscious with nonlethal damage!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mongrelfolk bard that specializes in racist jokes and insult comedy and dual wields rotting hams.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

1) Mystic Theurge who specializes in blasting spells. They meditate on the intricacies of causing as many explosions as possible.

2) Psion/Thrallherd pulling off Leadership abuse via Psicrystals and cohorts with Psicrystals.

3) Any build where the fluff is based entirely around the Devoted/Ascetic feats from Complete Adventure.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beguiler/Prestige Bard/Arcane Archer focused on using Imbue Arrow to shoot allies in order to heal them (for trivial amounts, of course) with Mass Cure X Wounds spells.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I actually built one of these, granted it was intended to become non-suck asap, but it still initially sucked.

Warforged Juggernaut with only a 13 in Str, 8 in Dex, 14 in Con, 18 in Int, 12 in Wis, 12 in Cha.

He was not supposed to be a Juggernaut. In game or Out.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Halfling Monk Grappler. The small size really helps here.
    The other day I was thinking about this, though honestly I'm not great at optimizing.

Go with something like Paladin 3 / Monk 3 / Reaping Mauler 1 / Monk +4 / Reaping Mauler +4 / x 5.

Use the 3rd Wary Swordknight Paladin substitution level (Champions of Valor), the 7th Halfling Monk substitution level (Races of the Wild) and the 1st Hin Monk substitution level (Champions of Valor web enhancement).

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfClericGuy

Mr. Bubbles

Be a Goliath Whirling Frenzy Barbarian / Frenzied Berserker.
    Take the aquatic template, the Slow flaw, the trait that slows you down even more.
    Use a whip.
    Buy a small-sized pool you can sqeeze in and some servants to carry it.

You can't do much in combat, because your whip can barely damage most creatures and doesn't threaten anything. Also, your pool is in the way. If you get damaged and start frenzying and raging, you become too big for your pool (Goliath Barbarian sub levels) and fall out of it, starting to flap towards your enemies with the speed of 5 ft per move action. Too bad holding your breath requires some concentration, so you probably start suffocating immediately.
    Last edited by HammeredWharf; 2014-08-19 at 02:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Always Angry Barbarian. Take the Frenzied Berserker ACF, go straight Barbarian, and keep taking effects that reduce your HP (Frail flaw, Quick trait, Grafts) until your HP is so low that you're always Frenzied. Possibly include effects that give it temp HP if it seems you have too little survivability, but be sure you can remain really, really mad.

The Paranoid Kobold. Basically, play a Kobold Artificer that has a Bottle of Air, Decanter of Endless Water, Endless Trail Rations and never leaves the Enveloping Pit it calls home. It spends all of its time setting up Folding Traps (RotD p. 124) around the edge of its hidey-hold, spring-loaded to shoot out in case the pit ever gets opened, at which point he activates them all with the same command word. The kicker, of course, is that Folding Traps actually suck, are ridiculously overpriced, and the Artificer never builds anything else. Still, it would be the most Kobold-y Kobold that ever Kobolded.

(I actually want to try this now...)

Urist McFistbeardfist. A Dwarven Monk/Kensai with the Overwhelming Attack archetype, the Decisive Strike class feature, and who focuses solely on beating people to death with his mighty beard.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuuya View Post
    Celestial or Fiendish (or any other template that can give a vermin 3+ Int) Hairy Spider Swordsage, focused on Setting Sun. A little tarantula scurrying into foes' squares and tossing them around the battlefield. If your DM lets you play with the listed Int of --, even better. Either way, never learn a language or indicate in any way that you're anything other than an improbably awesome mundane spider.
    This is the single best thing I've seen all week. I will have to use this as a friendly NPC that the party encounters sometime.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi67 View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ral-Damage-Man

This is a thread about creating a character so specialized it can only cast spells that do massive damage to everything. I think they eventually got it to a character that can create a tornado/hurricane miles wide that lasts for several hours, and refuses to prepare any other spells. So every time you get into a fight, you not only obliterate the enemy, you wipe out the entire town. Anyone gets mad, just look dumbfounded and say its the only spell you know...
    The exact build was here. It literally is a character who can cast exactly one spell... that creates a tornado sucking up everything within a 3rd of a mile, and lasts for 3 hours. For bonus points, you can turn the tornado on and off at will, meaning that all encounters that you have within the radius over next 3 hours you can deal with by just reactivating this ridiculous tornado. (The CL-boosting item mentioned was the Dragonmark Focus (3k for +2 CL, ECS). For kicks, add in an Extend Channeling Rod for 5.5k to make it last for 6 hours. Add in Dragonmark Visionary for another use of this per day, for a total of 3 uses at level 9. Use a Flaw for Ability Focus to raise the DC of the tornado. Proceed to wreck combat math forever with your DC 18+Cha Modifier CL 18+ spell that sucks up all who fail the save they repeat each round for 6d6 untyped damage + falling damage + chaotic flinging people about the battlefield. Be sure to make and stand in a one-square safe zone at the center of the effect.)
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2014-08-19 at 03:57 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Anthropomorphic Bonobo Beguiler with a one track mind.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #49

EvilClericGuy

Bard with Fell Animate and Requiem

Warforged-Scout Blast focused Warlock

Kobald Psionic warrior/Stoneblessed Goliath/Goliath Barbarian

Tibbit Factotum with maxed out Handle Humanoid

The Omnificier

Halfling D2 Crusader

Dwarf Battle Sorcorer with an asp familiar and Poison healing.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I present -for your consideration- my favorite character concept ever:

The Psionic Sandwich by Tleilaxu_Ghola

Spoiler
    Show
    ...the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

Race: Elan
    Build: Telepath 20
    Feats: Any, must have EK(Astral Seed) and skill focus (craft [basket weaving])

1. Acquire a loaf of bread (2cp)
    2. Turn the bread into a sandwich (craft DC 5) (probably 2 minutes)
    3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
    4. Cast astral seed (10 minutes)
    5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
    6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
    7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
    8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
    9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Congratulations, your ascension to the sublime state of a sandwich took:
    23 minutes 6 seconds and cost you 1200.02 gold pieces.

Have the BSF carry you around in his lunch sack.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingAtomsk View Post
    I present -for your consideration- my favorite character concept ever:

The Psionic Sandwich by Tleilaxu_Ghola

Spoiler
    Show
    ...the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

Race: Elan
    Build: Telepath 20
    Feats: Any, must have EK(Astral Seed) and skill focus (craft [basket weaving])

1. Acquire a loaf of bread (2cp)
    2. Turn the bread into a sandwich (craft DC 5) (probably 2 minutes)
    3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
    4. Cast astral seed (10 minutes)
    5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
    6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
    7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
    8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
    9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Congratulations, your ascension to the sublime state of a sandwich took:
    23 minutes 6 seconds and cost you 1200.02 gold pieces.

Have the BSF carry you around in his lunch sack.
    Relevant
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-08-19 at 08:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

DwarfClericGuy

Not really sure what the build would be but have a guy that was his own (and his parties) worst enemy.

He has so much anxiety about failure that he somehow manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Starting a fire on a wood boat.
    Sneezing at just the wrong time.
    Etc

It would be fun but at the same time a challenging balancing act so as not to do something that will kill the party, just make everything harder than it needs to be.

23. - Top - End - #53

- A Merfolk Swiftblade. Even with Haste, you'll only be flopping around on land at a speed of 10', but you're otherwise imbued with extreme magical speed.

- A Warmage or blaster Sorcerer with the fire subtype (or who is otherwise immune to fire). Drop AoE fire spells centered on yourself. For an extra-concentrated dose of stupid, fluff them as explosive flatulence.

- An unarmed Dungoncrasher Fighter, further pumping your break items check with Str bonuses, the dead levels enhancement, and anything else you can think of. Run through walls like a dang cartoon character, leaving perfectly you-shaped holes in your wake. Never use doors.

24. - Top - End - #54

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gelatinous cube wizard. Let's try to cast spells without an int score or limbs.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

25. - Top - End - #55

An STP Erudite Psionic Sandwich who, via transparency rules, has lost all psionic ability via manifesting disjunction on an artifact. Retraining is not allowed.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I've been working on a Crazy Cat Lady build.

Mongrel Folk Druid 1/ animal companion variant wizard 1/animal companion variant sorcerer 1 /Totemist 2/ beast master 10/ totemist 5.

Feats: share soulmeld, wild cohort, companion spell bond, natural bond, skill focus (pre-req), bonus essential, expanded soulmeld capacity.

You get 8 animal companions, all of which should be cats. With the share soulmeld feat you can give them some offensive potential... Like breathing fire or flinging wyrven spines.

Overall I see Role playing gold here.

27. - Top - End - #57

SwashbucklerGuy

OK everyone, I have a specific challenge for you:

Pokey-Man the half-ogre pikebard. His sole purpose in life is to squeeze every sourcebook for every reach extension technique ever.

I managed to give him 45 feet of reach with a longspear, but alas I have lost the character sheet and can't remember everything I used

So...I hereby challenge y'all to match or exceed a 45' reach! First I'd like to see the most possible at level five, followed by the most possible ever.

(Note: someone here will inevitably say "why not just give him a spiked chain?" The answer is that would be a good idea, and they clearly have not been paying attention.)
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2014-08-19 at 11:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post

I basically did this in Iron Chef once. Except for the secret ingredient, I didn't have more than 1 level in any class. (I also didn't have any base classes that gave spells, despite the secret ingredient requiring both arcane spells and divine spells. Oh, and no Factotum, because that's too easy.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    OK everyone, I have a specific challenge for you:

Pokey-Man the half-ogre pikebard. His sole purpose in life is to squeeze every sourcebook for every reach extension technique ever.

I managed to give him 45 feet of reach with a longspear, but alas I have lost the character sheet and can't remember everything I used

So...I hereby challenge y'all to match or exceed a 45' reach! First I'd like to see the most possible at level five, followed by the most possible ever.

(Note: someone here will inevitably say "why not just give him a spiked chain?" The answer is that would be a good idea, and they clearly have not been paying attention.)
    For ever-Drunken Master with a spool of endless rope. 500' reach
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I once had the idea for a female dwarf wizard with Int 11. Her name was Paula Deen the Butter Queen, and would only respond to the entire name. She knew one spell: Grease.