New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

wink Using alchemy, etc. to "fake" spells

My character concept is a stage magician/con-artist who can't actually cast spells, but is just really good at sleight of hand and alchemy. I'm building a level 5 Factotum that I want to eventually prestige into Charlatan (from Dragon Magazine #335). But until then, I want to be able to pull off fake spells to convince those around me that I am a legit spellcaster. I figure alchemist fire and tangle-foot bags are a good start, but what else is out there? I'm not too concerned that these effect look like particular spells out of the book, but rather, that they look magical enough that non-casters will think, "yep, that's magic alright." Should make for some fun RP.

So what are some fun and practical effects you can think of? Bonus points if you can make them useful in combat. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Using alchemy, etc. to "fake" spells

Is this for 3.5 or PF, or some combination?

Remember in 3.5, you have to be a spellcaster to craft alchemical items. It is, in my estimation, one of the stupidest intentional things put into the PHB.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

In 3.5e, there is a class in Dragon Compendium that is based on doing this...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Character is for 3.5

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Chameleon prc (Races of Destiny) has the following line in his adaptation section:
    Chameleons can be reworked as a completely nonmagical class, where they have no spells but use Sleight of Hand to make items "disappear," and potions or powders to create smoke, fog, and fire.
    Of course, it isn't fleshed out at all so any attempt to create such a version of Chameleon like that is homebrew.

Regarding the Charlatan, I always figured that Changeling Rogue 1 / Marshal 1 / x 3 using the 1st Changeling Rogue substitution level (Races of Eberron) was the best entry.

Have a (incomplete) Charlatan handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...3&topic=6543.0

Also take heed of the following reaction to the handbook:
    Quote Originally Posted by Akalsaris
    Classes:
    -Binder: Bind Naberius and you can take 10 on bluff and diplomacy, get command every 5 rounds, and do diplomacy as a standard action with no penalty (when you actually want to ask for help instead of bluff). Really, 1 level is all you need for Binder.
    -Marshal: Boost your Cha with your Cha aura! Also, Skill Focus (Diplomacy) for free.

Skill tricks (Complete scoundrel):
    -Any of the social interaction ones are good. Social recovery, false theurgy, second impression, conceal spellcasting, and timely misdirection are all solid.

Feats:
    -Fade into violence (PHB II): Bluff vs. opponent's Sense Motive: if you succeed, the opponent hits your ally instead of you. Especially good if you have an ally who wants to be hit, like a Crusader.
    -Master Manipulator (PHB II): More of a diplomacy one, but you can give opponents -4 to their sense motive checks.
    -Wanderer's Diplomacy (PHB II): Some new uses for diplomacy, sense motive, and bluff. The diplomacy is something you could already sorta do though, the sense motive is of limited use, and social agility is only good if you dumped Diplomacy. So overall not great, but it's a social feat nonetheless.
    -Combat Panache (PHB II): Some very good bluff-based abilities - redirect a foe's attack to his ally, and play dead to gain sneak attack, as well as an intimidate maneuver.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Male

Ravenloft: Legacy of Blood has devices, which are nonmagical versions of magic items. They're made using a single feat (Craft Device), and there are no limits on which magic items can be duplicated (scrolls, wands, armor, weapons, rods, staves, wondrous items, psychoactive skins, etc). For instance, you can create a hand-cannon (wand) that fires blobs of alchemic jelly that explode into rubbery (Evard's) black tentacles when they hit something. There are drawbacks (some fairly severe), but clever usage of the rules can circumvent or mitigate all of them.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-08-19 at 01:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could always play the pathfinder alchemist...
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"