New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re-Post from Q&A: Dahlver-Nar + Share Pain: how much damage is prevented?

Question from the Q&A thread. Not the easiest., but I suspect that 75% of damage would be deflected following multiplier rules (i.e. damage is multiplied by 1/2 twice, becomes 3/4).

What happens if I have Dahlver-Nar bound and Share Pain active targeting the same creature? Different creatures?
    Share Pain here, Dahlver-Nar's ability as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic
    Shield Self: At will as a standard
    action, you can designate one creature
    within 10 feet per effective binder level
    to share the damage you take. As long
    as the subject creature remains within
    range, you take only half damage from
    all effects that deal hit point damage,
    and it takes the rest. The effect ends
    immediately if you designate another
    creature or if either you or the subject
    dies. Any damage dealt to you after the
    effect ends is no longer split between you and the
    subject, but damage already split is not reassigned
    to you. You can affect one creature at a time with this
    ability. An unwilling target of this ability can attempt
    a Will save to negate the effect.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Re-Post from Q&A: Dahlver-Nar + Share Pain: how much damage is prevented?

Quote Originally Posted by Irk View Post
    Question from the Q&A thread. Not the easiest., but I suspect that 75% of damage would be deflected following multiplier rules (i.e. damage is multiplied by 1/2 twice, becomes 3/4).

What happens if I have Dahlver-Nar bound and Share Pain active targeting the same creature? Different creatures?
    Share Pain here, Dahlver-Nar's ability as follows:
    Unless someones got something official, I'd say you are correct with 75% (give or take rounding), but for slightly different reasons.
    You (or someone) has to decide the order of effects, and after everything is said an done, you'll have taken ~25% damage, and passed on the rest.

Example:
    You get hit for 40 damage.
    You decide Share Pain happens first, so 20 is 'kept', and 20 is passed along.
    Then Bound kicks in, but there is only 20 damage _actually_ being done to you at this point, so it splits what remains, you keep 10, and pass along 10.
    At this point there are no more relevant effects, so you take 10, and Badguy takes 30.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Re-Post from Q&A: Dahlver-Nar + Share Pain: how much damage is prevented?

That's the only reading I would allow at my table. One goes off first, halves the damage and spits it back at the attacker, then the other one does the same thing.

I am reminded of the time I put two Binding Agonies on my friend's Pariah'd Serra Avatar.