Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default L'Ymperean Li -- Entrez-Vous Fromage

FOR THE EMPEROR!
    SALT FOR THE SPIRITS!
    SILVER FOR THE SILVER THRONE!
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHT OF THE PEOPLE OF THE IMPERIUM!

This discussion thread is for EMPIRE! players who are part of the Salterri Imperium. If you are an EMPIRE! player who isn't part of the Salterri Imperium, please do not read the contents of this thread nor post in it. Thank you.

In the spoiler below is the revised Imperium Charter. It was never officially signed (at least by the Heartlands), but since a lot of the agreements in it have been made later verbally, I've put it here instead of the old charter. Further talking shall be done in spoilers, so that Empire players who enter this thread don't accidentally see something they shouldn't. This thread was remade so that we could resume talking about trade and diplomacy and ties between us and others without interference or spying.

Here is the old thread.

Spoiler: The Revised Imperium Charter
    Show
    The Salterri Imperium

The Salterri Imperium exists as a unified empire with the goal of bringing peace, order, and civilization to the world. All provinces and protectorates of the Imperium agree to abide by the following requirements.

Leadership
    1. Loyalty to the Qzare is absolute. As the bearer of the Silver Mandate, the divine favor to rule, the Qzare maintains ultimate authority over the Imperium. The Qzare agrees never to rule unilaterally without the input of the Senate and Proconsuls unless necessary for the preservation of the Imperium.
    2. Greater nations bonding into the Imperium by treaty or conquest, or those that achieve a greater status shall have full rights and responsibilities to maintain their native leadership and methods of selection. Leaders of such nations shall be granted the Imperial Title of Proconsul and may use this title for all legal purposes. Traditional local titles for leadership may be retained and legally used, provided said titles are not Qzare, Emperor, Senator, or derivatives thereof.
      Spoiler
      Show
      This section applies to players who have formed Great Kingdoms.
      In short, it says your leader gets to use the title of Proconsul of Name, where “Name” is the name of your nation. Nothing else changes from the basic game rules.

3. Lesser nations within the Imperium shall retain their native leadership, provided that the leadership meets with the approval of the Qzare. Traditional methods of leader selection shall also be maintained; however, the chosen leader must meet with the Qzare's approval or be approved by the Senate. The leader of lesser nations shall be granted the Imperial Title of Praetor and may use this title for all legal purposes. Traditional local titles for leadership may be retained and legally used, provided said titles are not Qzare, Emperor, Senator, Proconsul, or derivatives thereof.
      Spoiler
      Show
      This section applies to players who have NOT formed a Great Kingdom.
      In short, it says your leader gets to use the title of Praetor of Name, where “Name” is the name of your nation. Additionally, the Qzare has the right to require a leader openly hostile to the Imperium to be denied the leadership of your nation, though this is unlikely to actually happen. Nothing else changes from the basic game rules.

Representation
    1. The Senate
      1. The Senate shall be convened on a regular basis to debate the priorities, goals, and agendas of the Imperium and put to a vote said issues. The result of such votes shall be made law to the Imperium.
      2. Senators are to be selected by a method determined by the regional rulers, whether that be by vote or appointment. The Imperium shall not interfere in the method of Senatorial selection.
      3. Each region shall have one Senator and receive one vote in the Senate.
      4. Each Proconsul shall also receive one vote.
      5. The Qzare shall receive no votes but does maintain veto power over any law passed by the Senate. The Senate may, however, override the Qzare's veto with a three quarters vote of the Senators.
        Spoiler
        Show
        In short, there will be a governmental body setup where each player has a voice to try to direct the Imperium. Each player has a number of votes equal to the number of regions he directly owns. A player with a Great Kingdom has 1 bonus vote.

2. The Imperial Court
      1. All members of the Imperium have the right to attend or send a duly appointed representative to the High Court of the Salterri Imperium. Here, members may petition the Imperium or have grievances addressed.
      2. The Court will consist of a tribunal composed of Chief Magistrate and two Magistrates appointed to that trial by lot.
      3. The Chief Magistrate shall be appointed to a 5 year term by the Qzare.
      4. The two other Magistrates shall be chosen by lot. Lots will be cast to choose from all provinces of the Imperium. The chosen province shall appoint a Magistrate of good moral character and legal experience.
        Spoiler
        Show
        This is basically a way to resolve in character disputes that might arise if we want to role play it out.

Military
    1. A Legion is defined as 1,000 armed and expertly trained soldiers or equivalent thereof.
    2. Defensive Requirements
      1. All Imperium members must maintain a minimum of 1 Legion standing army in each province.
      2. Each Proconsul must maintain a minimum additional force of 4 Legions ready to mobilize at a moment's notice to any region of the Imperium.
      3. Each Praetor must maintain a minimum additional force of 2 Legions for the same purpose.
      4. The Imperium shall maintain a minimum of 1 Legion and no more than 4 Legions standing army in every region for the same purpose.
        Spoiler
        Show
        All players need to have at least 1 unit of military in every region.
        Anyone with a Great Kingdom must have 1 unit per region plus an additional 4 units minimum.
        All others must have 1 unit per region plus an additional 2 units minimum.

3. Military Limitations
      1. The Imperium shall not house more then 3 Legions in any province outside of the core provinces, except in times of war.
      2. Proconsuls and Praetors shall not raise unreasonable military forces, as determined by the Senate, except in times of war.
        Spoiler
        Show
        This means that the player controlling the Qzare may station up to 3 Legions in any region of any member of the Imperium, but no more than that if there is no current war.
        Great Kingdoms may create any number of military units they choose, but if the numbers become threatening to the Imperium as a sign of rebellion, it's going to cause some political problems.
        All others may not raise more than 2 units per region as the maximum, unless special permission is gained.

4. Requirements and Responsibilities
      1. No Imperial Province will raise arms against another, except in defense.
      2. No province will militarily invade lands belonging to nations outside of the Imperium, except in times of war or directed to do so by the Qzare or the Senate.
      3. Should any province of the Imperium come under attack, all mobile forces, as defined above, shall immediately be sent to defend the populace of the province under attack.
      4. Regions incapable of supporting the minimums as laid out herein may be given special dispensation until such time as they can meet the requirements.
        Spoiler
        Show
        Don't attack each other!
        Don't attack other players unless the majority of us are okay with going to war.
        In other words, play nice until we're all ready to be mean.

Faith and Religion
    1. The state officially recognizes and endorses the following religions: Ascension and Hailings of the Silver Sea.
    2. Proconsuls and Praetors must adhere to a state approved faith, if necessary openly and publicly converting prior to claiming a leadership role in any Province or Protectorate. Special dispensations may be given to leader who follow regional religions with long standing traditions in the area.
    3. The clergy of all state approved faiths are granted autonomy to move through all Imperium lands spreading their beliefs without hindrance.
    4. Members of unapproved, traditional faiths may continue to practice their beliefs within their traditional lands; however, spreading of such faiths to other regions is strictly forbidden.
    5. Missionaries from outside of the Imperium are denied entry to Imperial lands and are prohibited from spreading their faith anywhere within the Imperium.
    6. No member of the Imperium may start or organize a new faith or religion.
      Spoiler
      Show
      Just stick to the faiths. Simple as that.

Trade, Resources, & Technology
    1. Imperial Provinces may make trade agreements as they see fit with the following requirements.
      1. If a region of the Imperium has dire need of a resource you can provide, you must offer the resource to that region before offering it to any nation outside of the Imperium.
      2. No trade agreements of any sort may be made with any nations declared to be an enemy of the Imperium.
      3. No technology of any kind may be given to any nation not belonging to the Imperium without approval of the Qzare or Senate.
        Spoiler
        Show
        In other words, if a player has a required resource in a region that you can provide, be nice and offer it to that player first.
        Don't aid our enemies, and don't give away our technologies. It's simple, really.

2. All acquired technologies are to be shared openly with all members of the Imperium, though recipients of the technologies may still be required to provide resources in payment for the technology.
      Spoiler
      Show
      In other words, we give each other any tech we find or create. Just keep it in the family.

3. The Qzare will not require tribute from his vassals; however, the Qzare may build up to 3 Trade Posts in each vassal nation, but no more than one trade post in any one region.
      Spoiler
      Show
      Instead of just taking resources from you, the Qzare can choose to build up to 3 Trade Posts in regions each player controls. He won't build more than this in any one player's regions.

Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-08-24 at 08:36 AM.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: L'Ymperean Li -- Entrez-Vous Fromage

Spoiler
    Show
    Thoughts on the charter, seeing this version for the first time in a while:

I wonder whether the Faith portion of the charter causes more problems than it addresses. Of course, it was drafted by the Ascensionists so reflects their preoccupations and might be more restrictive than we'd like. A couple of bits were slipped back in in the Priory's revision; the Wandao-approved charter recognised Ascension but endorsed only Hailings, and required permission of region governors to spread religion to their territory.

Anyone who doesn't follow one of the state religions will fall into the "tradition" exception anyway unless they convert, in which case it might be easier to word it as something along the lines of "Praetors and Proconsuls shall not convert to an unrecognised religion". If the proposed increased toleration of foreign religions goes ahead that might need revising anyway.

While I like the principle of a Senate to debate legislation, as a monarchist I'd probably be opposed to reducing the legislative capability of the Qzare. Although the charter doesn't, I suppose, indicate that he can't propose legislation, and he can veto anything the Senate come up with, so that might be a null concern.

I also notice this version makes mention of the Silver Mandate, which the original one didn't

As a purely aesthetic concern, I'd probably prefer Praetors to be called Prefects, but that doesn't really affect me and is triflingly minor.

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup - Season V
    Red Sabres
    Season 1 Cup Champions; two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

The Kingdom of the Carmine Sea in Morph Bark's EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game
    We now have a wiki!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The Faith section definitely needs to be changed to not be as restrictive as the Priory tried to make it. Furthermore I'd move that after all this we stripped Ascension as an official state-recognized religion or simply dismiss any state-recognized religion until you get around to forming the Southern Pantheon. Then it can be the official state-recognized religion with Hailings, Fire Lord Reformation, and Wyrm Below being accepted as denominations of it.

On that note, we still don't really know much about the Silver Lady...

Since the Silver Mandate has caused such problems do we even want to include it? Or if we do should we work together to come up with its exact wording so that problems regarding it at least will have a base to spring off of?

Praetor or Prefect sound good to be but hopefully soon I'll be moving to Proconsul!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Hello fellas.

The charter seems alright to me. I am curious about religions too though. Once I got a Great Kingdom going I was thinking of making a religion but then I saw it was forbidden by the old (and new) charter so I was wondering what the existing religions were about so I could decide which one of them I wanted to pursue.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Howdy RandoMan.

The Hailings lot follow She-Of-Silver-Spear-And-Coin. Silver and salt seem to be important, and also useful for fighting zombies. (Coincidence?) Not a lot has been written on it yet. Ascension is technically a denomination of the same religion, but has a lot of differences. Here's Rizban's write-up of it:

Spoiler: Ascension
    Show
    In recent years, a cult has arisen in the shadows of the Imperium which believes in the strength and 'rightness' of their humanity and their right to rule as an empire. This religion has come to be known simply as Ascension, and has grown to become the dominant religion in Salteire. Ascension espouses a belief that each and every man is but an embryonic god. Through a concerted effort towards enlightenment, dedication to the church, and becoming a powerful leader in this life, one can ascend upon entering the afterlife, literally becoming a god. Naturally, this appeals strongly to many of the Salterri, and in the wake of the imperial instability, many look towards Ascension for guidance in this life and the next. The church teaches that the path of ascension has been suppressed by the Lord of Fire, and that he and his evil avatar on Telluris directly interfere in ascension and must be brought down for mankind to truly take its rightful place in this world and the next.

The Priory of Ascension is a political organization created to lead civil affairs. The Chief Hierarch of the Church of Ascension is also the leader of the Priory. Upon the current Chief Hierarch's ascension to godhood, a new Chief Hierarch is elected from among the elder Hierarchs, prominent church leaders deeply involved in the inner workings of both the Church and the Priory who serve both as leaders and as advisors to the Chief Hierarch.

The Church of Ascension holds 17 tenets at the core of their beliefs which dictate the thoughts and actions of that faith's adherents. These are organized into the Quaternity of Quaternions, or four sets of four to the layman. Each Quaternion has a chief Principle and three supporting Virtues. These are Obedience, Temperance, Readiness, Vigilance, Ambition, Efficiency, Diligence, Precision, Respect, Honesty, Honor, Loyalty, Valor, Justice, Mercy, Sacrifice, and Spirituality. More information about this can be found below in the information about the Quorum of the Sixteen Patriarchs.
    [/quote]

Ascension has also been known to turn its followers into angels, as described here. Given the civil war, it is perhaps less politically popular right now in non-Priory regions than it might be...

All other religions are foreign, and to find out more it's probably best to talk to the player who controls it (Chief for Lord of Fire and Reformed Lord of Fire; zabbarot for Radurja; Waylander for Ashmar; lt_murgen for Children of Kina) although some of them have writeups in their region posts or in the Radurjic Codex thread.

There has been talk (OOC for now) about making the Salterri a bit more multifaith and developing a pantheonic religion rather than the current monotheism.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-28 at 01:50 AM.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

The Kingdom of the Carmine Sea in Morph Bark's EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game
    We now have a wiki!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Trade/tech thoughts:

Now we all have Raaneki Diplomacy (I think?), but there's no more Heartwine to be had and it hasn't yet been converted to work with other alcohols. Assuming we don't get our Priory beer back any time soon, Niskovia and Halja each have a spirit alcohol (vodka and absinthe, respectively) and I wonder whether we could come to some arrangement with them - trading posts/gifts of those resources in exchange for converting the tech and sending it back. I've pinged Kitsanth and RD to see if they'd be interested at least.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We can look into altering the Charter for official use later, no problem.

I am getting one stack of vodka myself, though I also have a TP for Heartwine. The tech could conceivably work with grain (whiskey!), I suppose, but maybe the tech would have to be altered somewhat in wording overall due to the wide variety of things that can be made into alcoholic beverages.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

After a couple days of talking with Durk I've committed myself to this war on the side of you all. I only have 2,000 troops but they are yours. I shall not be canceling trade with the Priory for this but would ask that if war can be avoided in the future it is as I am not eager to do this again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's fair enough... I don't think any of us really wanted this to happen the way it did, but it's become kind of unavoidable, and once it's started it's best to see it through. Hopefully it'll be out of the way soon and we can get on with less controversial stuff.

Speaking of which, Kitsanth is up for a tech deal over the vodka, so if there are no objections I'll set that up. Also with Opus's death I'm free to make my long-overdue peace with AQUA and re-establish some trades there.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The Qzare, at least under me, is not likely to call on everyone in times of war anyway. When the other side escalates it with allies, that's when some calls will be made, but they won't be forced unless your help is absolutely necessary.

The Salterri are a bit warlike, or have been in the past, but the upcoming ruler is not going to be like that at all, so no worries.

No objections on the vodka. Also, Aedilred and RandoMan, I found this today. I know Mularuhm cut off a bunch of old deals earlier, but I thought this was a nice bit and was wondering if it might still be on, or be re-done by you.

Also, after the war, perhaps we can poke Silverbit (or Way) to put up some connections between the Mularuhm dwarves and the northern dwarves of Sulvan, Keldagrim and Razdis.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as I'm concerned that treaty's still in force (I later unilaterally edited in a clause giving us claims over each other's regions if the ruling line became extinct after Forza left, but then Mularuhm became part of the Imperium and now it has a player again anyway, so that bit of forged paper has been buried somewhere )

I think RandoMan's reaffirmed it too (OOC), iirc.

It does assert a claim over Pavonia, of course. I don't think they know about it...

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as I'm concerned that treaty's still in force (I later unilaterally edited in a clause giving us claims over each other's regions if the ruling line became extinct after Forza left, but then Mularuhm became part of the Imperium and now it has a player again anyway, so that bit of forged paper has been buried somewhere )

I think RandoMan's reaffirmed it too (OOC), iirc.

It does assert a claim over Pavonia, of course. I don't think they know about it...
    Spoiler
    Show
    And then Mularuhm digs it back up and sends assassins all over the Jarrows.

Pavonia can be told if they ever join the Imperium.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The treaty of friendship with the Jarrs is still accepted in Mularuhm and is listed in my lands post under International Agreements.

Unfortunately I'm trading all my Shellfish at now so I wouldn't be able to reforge that deal. Once I finish colonizing there will be other resources that can be traded though.

I might be interested in joining Dwarven royalty elsewhere, but for now I'm planning on a lot of internal stuff in regards to marriages and such. Mularuhm follows a pretty strict and ancient caste and clan system so trying to make it work some new way with foreigners rather than just sticking with tradition may be hard to have happen. Especially since the real power at the moment, Kaitlind, still has a lot of debts to pay off through her and her husband's position and making more arrangements with more people doesn't really seem smart at the moment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Continuation of PMs
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DurkBlanston
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred
    So <spoilers> we narrowly won both battles this round, thanks in part to stopping the UN reinforcements, and thus conquered both regions.

To help smooth over the situation OOC, and since it was iirc the original intention anyway - and with both Tailong's and Rongyao's being dead, is the plan to basically hand Salteire back to Rizban on condition he behaves himself, keep CP and use this as a springboard to reunite the Imperium? His having crowned Rongyao's son Qzare probably isn't going to help, but our negotiating platform is very strong here, and I think Salteire is the only region he cares about as anything more than a GK-buffer. I'm also (and don't think I'm alone here) kind of tired of the whole thing and if it could be sorted, that would be great. Whether Rizban will agree/see it that way, or just flip out, I don't know.

I don't think there's much room for actual (as opposed to contrived-because-of-grievance-about-results) controversy in the way things actually turned out, though, unless people think the one tactical manoeuvring roll Bordeux made against the Caercian fleet should have allowed all reinforcements (the Imperium won all the other relevant rolls, including tactical manoeuvring against the Alydaxis fleet, and both battles, and would probably have beaten the Alydaxis fleet even had Bordeux had its own troops there). We probably got quite lucky...
    Mwahaha! The double tactical maneuvering and false fleet to distract Bordeux worked! And better than could be expected! How delightful! (Sorry, moment of glory and revelry over, but I am happy that plan worked out!)

There's really no relevant complaints that can be raised regarding the results I don't think either. (Though Rizban may yet prove me wrong. Of course, those might not be "relevant"...)

Holding onto CP for reuniting the Imperium (and setting myself up for GK/Greater Vassalhood *happy dance*) and handing back Salteire under the oath he and his swear fealty to the true Qzare and make repentance for rebellion is definitely the plan as it stands. Like you say, that actually happening shall rely on Rizban's response to such things.

On that note should we start a thread for a Treaty/Peace deal type thing? The Silver Summit II is my suggested name
    I am currently in the process of sending out invitations to Tianshi's coming-of-age ball, where she will also take up her rights and duties as Qzarina in all official capacities. We could do it there, or separately.

To any peace talks I would also invite Ri Chugang, Alydaxis and Bordeux, possibly Guilder as well, so that they don't end up coming for us separately. Ri Chugang would definitely need to be present, at any rate.

We should start from a strong position where we can always cede things if need be. Helping them expand if they are again part of the Imperium I'd definitely do, whether underground, aboveground, underwater, or what-have-you. Underground would depend on what the Mularuhm dwarves think though, and partly for that reason I will repost all of this in our new thread, since we can discuss all this there without filling up PM boxes (which for me has been swiftly filled today already).

Important sidenote: we should of course discuss some of the things with Rizban OOC first. I'd rather be sure first that most OOC grievances with regards to all this are out of the way, or will largely be at the conclusion of peace talks. I'm sure not all things can be resolves, but at least the big stuff can be mitigated.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-08-24 at 03:42 PM.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Doing at the ceremony seems fitting (assuming it's not going to be a giant international event. Don't want to air our dirty laundry in front of the world)

Strong position from which concessions can be made? Let me list Cass's inflexible demands for surrender (That is to say the extreme positions from which we can negotiate down from )

1.)The Priory shall officially renounce loyalty to the false Qzare Zuìdà Hépíng and turn the boy over to the Heartlands to be kept as a ward of the House of Li. The other children of the false Qzare Zuida Rongyao shall personally renounce any claim to the Silver Throne or Silver Mandate and swear loyalty to the Qzarina Li Tianshi and her heirs.

2.)The Chief Heirarch of the Priory shall pledge his loyalty to his rightful liege Qzarina Li Tianshi and her duly appointed heirs and shall not act against her or promote unrest beneath her rule.

3.)The Priory shall surrender all claim, remove all angels, remove all Priory representatives, and admit all rights to rule as invalid in the region of Campestrus Pratum and recognize the Caercian Consortium as the rightful ruler of the region.

4.)The Priory shall make reparations for their rebellion in cost of food and luxuries to the Salterri Heartlands, their rightful liege. (Details here can be worked out)

5.)The Salterri Imperium shall remove recognition for the seditious and rebellious doctrine known as "Ascension" and its spread shall not be tolerated in lands beholden to the Imeprium.

6.)The Salterri Imperium shall, if the above conditions are met, return Salteire to governance of the Priory and work to rebuild relations with the Priory.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    While I will attend any negotiations that happen (assuming Rizban doesn't quit) I think, IC at least, I consider my role in this pretty much played out, and have my own stuff to do back home - like finish off the wildlings that my allies had to fight for me last round*. I don't really want (again, IC, or OOC) to carry on fighting over this, and might the position that I'm not leaving home again one way or the other until the situation is fixed and the Imperium is reunited, without Tailong's children being deprived of any of their due rights and inheritances. I'm not fond of Ascension as a doctrine, but I'm not going to push for it to be extirpated so long as it leaves me (and my LoF worshippers) alone; for Jarrland this war was largely a matter of (a) fighting for the lord we were sworn to, (b) family, and (c) actually resolving the situation so that things could go back to "normal" rather than dragging on forever. As such I'd be prepared to make some fairly large compromises (and therefore would hold back from the demands in the Cassius letter) and I basically have nothing to gain either way anyway since there's no territory up for claiming, but there's no reason each of us can't have our own objectives and demands.

I don't think we need to worry about Guilder. I imagine their attention will be fixed on trying to get Inigo back for at least the coming round, and Wombat seems to have leaned on Sam to stay out of it. Bordeux and Ri Chugang, who knows.

Anyway.

I've been talking to Sorrcerousflux and he's keen to develop relations. I've offered him vassalage (either of me, or of the Imperium) but, largely for IC reasons, he'd rather deal with things separately for now at least. RandoMan, I was wondering about extending the land rights agreement to give the Nix claim over all the underwater regions in exchange for their accepting our claims to above- and below- ground regions.

He offered me a treaty of alliance - to the bare bones of which I've provisionally agreed - although he also wanted to include a free-sharing tech clause which I rejected (since it contravenes the Imperial charter unless he joins, and I'd get nothing out of it for a while). I have however said that I'd be prepared to give him Ocean-Faring Ships, Plate Armour and the Printing Press to get him started if he doesn't get those anyway, since they're common techs and in the case of the Printing Press he'd still need to find the resource from somewhere. That's subject to Imperial approval, of course, so let me know if there's an objection**.

*I had intended, when I first saw the wildling invasion, to try to reach out to them diplomatically and settle them in my territory. Various reasons - that they seemed leaderless suggested they were fleeing from something, rather than invading (see: ASoIaF wildlings!), they didn't really present much of a threat other than in timing, fighting them would require pulling out of Salteire, and we were also shaping up for a potential conflict with the Empire of Dawn at the time... But then Blade offered to fight them for me, so that seemed like a more elegant solution. Now there are only 2,000 of them left and the fighting in the north is hopefully done I might investigate the diplomacy option.

**Particularly as far as Jeriah goes, since she's been quite vocal about how difficult it is to get techs, I'd have thought that was a decent carrot to dangle for rejoining the Imperium proper, but my expectations are rock bottom right now.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

OOC I'm absolutely tired of the war too and would like to Dip 10, build some armies and move on to Markus the Younger for religious spreading and then Ji for potential magic stuff.

Most of those demands are really nothing I OOC as a player care too much about other than CP, they're just things that would seem to make sense IC to demand.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DurkBlanston View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Doing at the ceremony seems fitting (assuming it's not going to be a giant international event. Don't want to air our dirty laundry in front of the world)

Strong position from which concessions can be made? Let me list Cass's inflexible demands for surrender (That is to say the extreme positions from which we can negotiate down from )

1.)The Priory shall officially renounce loyalty to the false Qzare Zuìdà Hépíng and turn the boy over to the Heartlands to be kept as a ward of the House of Li. The other children of the false Qzare Zuida Rongyao shall personally renounce any claim to the Silver Throne or Silver Mandate and swear loyalty to the Qzarina Li Tianshi and her heirs.

2.)The Chief Heirarch of the Priory shall pledge his loyalty to his rightful liege Qzarina Li Tianshi and her duly appointed heirs and shall not act against her or promote unrest beneath her rule.

3.)The Priory shall surrender all claim, remove all angels, remove all Priory representatives, and admit all rights to rule as invalid in the region of Campestrus Pratum and recognize the Caercian Consortium as the rightful ruler of the region.

4.)The Priory shall make reparations for their rebellion in cost of food and luxuries to the Salterri Heartlands, their rightful liege. (Details here can be worked out)

5.)The Salterri Imperium shall remove recognition for the seditious and rebellious doctrine known as "Ascension" and its spread shall not be tolerated in lands beholden to the Imeprium.

6.)The Salterri Imperium shall, if the above conditions are met, return Salteire to governance of the Priory and work to rebuild relations with the Priory.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While I will attend any negotiations that happen (assuming Rizban doesn't quit) I think, IC at least, I consider my role in this pretty much played out, and have my own stuff to do back home - like finish off the wildlings that my allies had to fight for me last round*. I don't really want (again, IC, or OOC) to carry on fighting over this, and might the position that I'm not leaving home again one way or the other until the situation is fixed and the Imperium is reunited, without Tailong's children being deprived of any of their due rights and inheritances. I'm not fond of Ascension as a doctrine, but I'm not going to push for it to be extirpated so long as it leaves me (and my LoF worshippers) alone; for Jarrland this war was largely a matter of (a) fighting for the lord we were sworn to, (b) family, and (c) actually resolving the situation so that things could go back to "normal" rather than dragging on forever. As such I'd be prepared to make some fairly large compromises (and therefore would hold back from the demands in the Cassius letter) and I basically have nothing to gain either way anyway since there's no territory up for claiming, but there's no reason each of us can't have our own objectives and demands.

I don't think we need to worry about Guilder. I imagine their attention will be fixed on trying to get Inigo back for at least the coming round, and Wombat seems to have leaned on Sam to stay out of it. Bordeux and Ri Chugang, who knows.

Anyway.

I've been talking to Sorrcerousflux and he's keen to develop relations. I've offered him vassalage (either of me, or of the Imperium) but, largely for IC reasons, he'd rather deal with things separately for now at least. RandoMan, I was wondering about extending the land rights agreement to give the Nix claim over all the underwater regions in exchange for their accepting our claims to above- and below- ground regions.

He offered me a treaty of alliance - to the bare bones of which I've provisionally agreed - although he also wanted to include a free-sharing tech clause which I rejected (since it contravenes the Imperial charter unless he joins, and I'd get nothing out of it for a while). I have however said that I'd be prepared to give him Ocean-Faring Ships, Plate Armour and the Printing Press to get him started if he doesn't get those anyway, since they're common techs and in the case of the Printing Press he'd still need to find the resource from somewhere. That's subject to Imperial approval, of course, so let me know if there's an objection**.

*I had intended, when I first saw the wildling invasion, to try to reach out to them diplomatically and settle them in my territory. Various reasons - that they seemed leaderless suggested they were fleeing from something, rather than invading (see: ASoIaF wildlings!), they didn't really present much of a threat other than in timing, fighting them would require pulling out of Salteire, and we were also shaping up for a potential conflict with the Empire of Dawn at the time... But then Blade offered to fight them for me, so that seemed like a more elegant solution. Now there are only 2,000 of them left and the fighting in the north is hopefully done I might investigate the diplomacy option.

**Particularly as far as Jeriah goes, since she's been quite vocal about how difficult it is to get techs, I'd have thought that was a decent carrot to dangle for rejoining the Imperium proper, but my expectations are rock bottom right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With regards to Guilder, their crown prince is going to be romantically involved with one of my princesses, which will distract him from his father's capture and one of his brothers being turned into a gold statue, so that should help.

Is there anything we might offer Alydaxis or Bordeux, other than resolving things peacefully with the ally they were going to defend?

With regards to techs, I'd beware handing them out too easily, especially before we've handled things with the Priory and Ri Chugang. I don't want to see Jeriah upset about someone just joining the game being given techs right off the bat without being vassalized. Of course, if he gets vassalized, we should look into getting submarine tech from Lyradis or Hurosha somehow.

At any rate, Tianshi is not going to be super strict with the Priory the way Cassius would. However, if we'd deal with them in a small group or one by one, we could do a good cop/bad cop thing. As long as Cassius doesn't make the Qzarina look bad simply by being under her command, she will come across as much better by virtue of the contrast. Of course, it'd be preferred for one of the Jarrows to be present to provide a contrast with Cassius, so that the image wouldn't be created that all Imperial vassals are thirsting for angel blood. She'd offer similar things as Tailong had told Rongyao before Rongyao started making demands. (Like Tailong had offered to make reparations to the Salterri in Bor-Teire by building temples to the Silver Lady and something with CP too. She might order Cassius to institute a program/Great Project to raise up the civilization of the people in CP.)

The ward thing sounds good. Heck, as compromise I could send him one of my princesses. I'd almost make them a resource.

Just one thing Durk: the Caercians struck a deal with Hurosha in which Hurosha practically gets free tribute from all of CP's resources for doing nothing. Tianshi's gonna be pretty cross with Cassius over that.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    With regards to Guilder, their crown prince is going to be romantically involved with one of my princesses, which will distract him from his father's capture and one of his brothers being turned into a gold statue, so that should help.

Is there anything we might offer Alydaxis or Bordeux, other than resolving things peacefully with the ally they were going to defend?

With regards to techs, I'd beware handing them out too easily, especially before we've handled things with the Priory and Ri Chugang. I don't want to see Jeriah upset about someone just joining the game being given techs right off the bat without being vassalized. Of course, if he gets vassalized, we should look into getting submarine tech from Lyradis or Hurosha somehow.

At any rate, Tianshi is not going to be super strict with the Priory the way Cassius would. However, if we'd deal with them in a small group or one by one, we could do a good cop/bad cop thing. As long as Cassius doesn't make the Qzarina look bad simply by being under her command, she will come across as much better by virtue of the contrast. Of course, it'd be preferred for one of the Jarrows to be present to provide a contrast with Cassius, so that the image wouldn't be created that all Imperial vassals are thirsting for angel blood. She'd offer similar things as Tailong had told Rongyao before Rongyao started making demands. (Like Tailong had offered to make reparations to the Salterri in Bor-Teire by building temples to the Silver Lady and something with CP too. She might order Cassius to institute a program/Great Project to raise up the civilization of the people in CP.)

The ward thing sounds good. Heck, as compromise I could send him one of my princesses. I'd almost make them a resource.

Just one thing Durk: the Caercians struck a deal with Hurosha in which Hurosha practically gets free tribute from all of CP's resources for doing nothing. Tianshi's gonna be pretty cross with Cassius over that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Good cop/bad cop works but I don't know if Cassius should be marching around making demands either. He's just a vassal (and a lesser one at that for now) so calling for surrenders or whatnot isn't really in his wheelhouse. Now he could stand beside a good cop (Tianshi or Alfmark) and insist on more penalizing terms but making them himself would be disrespectful to the chain of command which he wouldn't really go for.

The conversation regarding CP should be interesting then

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't get the impression Alydaxis is particularly fussed about anything, and I doubt they'd have got involved at all if Bordeux hadn't pushed them, so just stopping killing their troops might be enough for them.

Bordeux, I don't know. I don't think we have any techs that they don't, although we do have berunda-riding beasts which they currently don't. (I'm being a bit precious about the huma, though, like Zap with the berundas; I don't really want to trade them if I can avoid it and made an exception for Aus-Teire only because the Qzare is the one person in the hierarchy higher than the king). It might be that they leave us alone if we don't continue attacking the Priory, and if they want to continue things, we can do what Rizban did and play the victim defender card when they attack us, while making no attempt to retaliate. And that would be a genuinely international conflict, too, rather than a civil war, so we could call on our friends/allies to support us in better conscience. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that, though.

I will send Alfmark and possibly Elwyr to any meeting that happens (and probably Valéria, as a quasi-witness to the events of the Second Council), fear not.

In terms of events, doing a meeting at the coronation would make sense, although it's probably best if it's in a private room. I also wonder whether there's mileage in getting a neutral party (i.e. Celero in all likelihood) to mediate, especially when it comes to Bordeux, or whether that would cause more problems than it solves. I also need to speak to AQUA this round, but that doesn't have to concern anyone else (just that if there's a non-exclusive event I'd appreciate it if they were there).
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-24 at 05:19 PM.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I talked things over a little with Rizban. I was pretty miffed at the start while we were still talking in PMs, because he was taking a strong tone with me about being communicative, and I felt like he hadn't been much communicative himself. We talked it over a bit, and while I had expected him to fly off the handle with me or at least act very angry with me, he stayed very calm. That was good too, because I don't know how I would've responded if it had been otherwise--probably rather strongly to the point of wanting to throw him out.

At any rate, we're on friendly terms again by the looks of it, and I'll talk more with him tomorrow to actually resolve some things about the Salterri Situation and such. I figure we'll talk about the things from an OOC perspective first and foremost for once, since we haven't really talked since the war started, and before the war started we had talked a LOT about the conflict that was there, but only really about the IC perspective of things (the only OOC bit being that Rizban's eventual goal was to take over the Imperium).

I am considering the possibility of--if reunification is completely off the table--offering a compromise where the two nations are close in politics and culture, but claim separate territories, in a West and East Roman Empire way. Similar to how there was the East and West Imperium before (the East Imperium becoming the Salterri Imperium), but more of a North and South Imperium. Or basically saying the Priory can expand all they like in the West but not around the main Imperium's land (except maybe underground to grab that one region they need to reform a GK down the line), and we'll not claim anything beyond coastal lands there. However, the East, beyond Niemidaland and all the coastal land between Sterkelv and Nan Hai Nian? Ripe for the taking.

Of course, that option won't be offered until late in negotiations, and only if they agree to some other concessions first. (Perhaps minor concessions, but it's mainly about the moral victory at this point, I guess, which is par for the course with diplomacy.)
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I talked things over a little with Rizban. I was pretty miffed at the start while we were still talking in PMs, because he was taking a strong tone with me about being communicative, and I felt like he hadn't been much communicative himself. We talked it over a bit, and while I had expected him to fly off the handle with me or at least act very angry with me, he stayed very calm. That was good too, because I don't know how I would've responded if it had been otherwise--probably rather strongly to the point of wanting to throw him out.

At any rate, we're on friendly terms again by the looks of it, and I'll talk more with him tomorrow to actually resolve some things about the Salterri Situation and such. I figure we'll talk about the things from an OOC perspective first and foremost for once, since we haven't really talked since the war started, and before the war started we had talked a LOT about the conflict that was there, but only really about the IC perspective of things (the only OOC bit being that Rizban's eventual goal was to take over the Imperium).

I am considering the possibility of--if reunification is completely off the table--offering a compromise where the two nations are close in politics and culture, but claim separate territories, in a West and East Roman Empire way. Similar to how there was the East and West Imperium before (the East Imperium becoming the Salterri Imperium), but more of a North and South Imperium. Or basically saying the Priory can expand all they like in the West but not around the main Imperium's land (except maybe underground to grab that one region they need to reform a GK down the line), and we'll not claim anything beyond coastal lands there. However, the East, beyond Niemidaland and all the coastal land between Sterkelv and Nan Hai Nian? Ripe for the taking.

Of course, that option won't be offered until late in negotiations, and only if they agree to some other concessions first. (Perhaps minor concessions, but it's mainly about the moral victory at this point, I guess, which is par for the course with diplomacy.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Excepting Region 92 I'd be more or less fine with an eastern and western thing. Hell, I'd help him explore if he moved his GK out that way and away from the core Imperium territories.

EDIT: I say that because he seems to be keen on expansion and being out there gives him that option (and puts him closer to his buddy Jeriah) which will likely result in less conflict down the line.

DOUBLE EDIT: Do you guys think I should go for conquering 92 this round or wait for next round?
    Last edited by DurkBlanston; 2014-08-24 at 07:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd be okay with that.

As for the granting of a Priory an underground region, 33 or 34 would be preferential for the Dwarves because then only one border will be contested as I'm planning to try and expand Mularuhm under 65, 67 after the Great Kingdom is founded.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    At the moment the Priory only has 34 and 33, so if they start exploring for an underground region this round that's where it'll be, although 35 will almost certainly be given back to them.

If you get in quick, there's also a newly-discovered region under 61, although Lyradis might be a bit miffed (but then, they have enough regions already )

Durk: depends on your other plans for this round, but if you can I'd say do it: leaving regions unclaimed for too long just increases the risk of a new player taking them - or in that case possibly Celero/AQUA.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-24 at 08:45 PM.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    At the moment the Priory only has 34 and 33, so if they start exploring for an underground region this round that's where it'll be, although 35 will almost certainly be given back to them.

If you get in quick, there's also a newly-discovered region under 61, although Lyradis might be a bit miffed (but then, they have enough regions already )

Durk: depends on your other plans for this round, but if you can I'd say do it: leaving regions unclaimed for too long just increases the risk of a new player taking them - or in that case possibly Celero/AQUA.
    Spoiler
    Show

That was my concern as well. Alright, forget raising units in CP, time for another invasion. It's not like Cass doesn't already have a bloodthirsty reputation

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been speaking to Murgen and he's interested in becoming a vassal of the Imperium. Whether of me, or of the Imperium directly, is up in the air, but he seems fairly keen (he approached me, rather than vice versa): I think he's getting a bit intimidated by the large empires forming in the north.

A full reconciliation between AQUA and Jarrland has now been agreed: they will issue a statement of regret over the killing of Amber and a condemnation of the killing or attempted killing of all the other council/family members, an exoneration of the assassination of Tupelo, and welcome back any members of the Grant/etc. families who wish to return, including refurbishing the Coral Skipper. In return I will issue a statement that the assassination of Tupelo was a personal matter rather than a state one and not directed against AQUA itself, a commitment of non-intervention in AQUA affairs (assuming they don't become my vassal, I guess) and stop my privateers raiding AQUA shipping. Trades etc. will follow.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, turns out Inigo took the ancestral sword of the Qzares... and Sam's not sure yet if he would still have it on him when he got caught.

Also, Logic PM'd me very excitedly yesterday to hold off on any deals to get my Qzarina married and he'd have a proposal in 12 hours. Said proposal being she'd get hitched to the new regent of Celero, uncle to the next King.

When I mentioned it to Waylander, he immediately began about how he has two single Kasumori at the event as well--one of them being a female.
    Current Projects:
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess she is just about the most eligible bride in the world right now. Not surprising she has suitors lining up!

I also have a prince her age... but he is her first cousin.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Brutus is only 5 years younger and Octavio's just 3 years older! And they aren't related by blood either! Keep it in the Imperium, keep it in the Imperium

On a not so light note I am now worried about Pavonia's intentions though I wasn't before. Here's a PM exchange in its entirety between Reader and myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046
    So hey man, I know we haven't talked much but that's because I've been consumed with this Civil War thing and I've been relying on Aedilred to do most of the talking but now that it's winding down I wanted to talk with you.

I saw in the OOC you talking about dragons, which is awesome because that means we have similar goals which is made even better by our regions and people having a shared ancient history to some degree.

Anyway, I was curious, did you ever get a religion thing straightened out? I ask because my next ruler (still some rounds away) is going to convert and begin to spread the Wyrm Below, the religion of Wyrmar focusing on the belief that a giant dragon lives under the earth waiting and judging and guiding where necessary and possibly destroying where necessary as well. I've added a bit to its writeup in my nation post if you want to read over what I've got. I was just wondering if you'd be interested in developing some religious and political ties?

I'm very open to ideas and such regarding the religion, IE runes could definitely be incorporated into it seeing as right now its a pretty hippieish philosophy that hasn't been codified and exists alongside other religions pretty seamlessly at the moment. The only thing I know is that I plan to have a Faith 10 action to attempt and call forth either the Great Wyrm itself or bring Dragons into the world and I'd definitely be down with sharing that with you if you were interested. Heck, we could pull a double Miracle to really try and make it work if we both had Wyrm Below Faith driven rulers. It could be super awesome.

On the political side of things Ji Caercia, the current second in line to be Lord Protector (heir to the heir) is quite young but will need a bride at some point. Markus (the current heir) is brideless but he's likely to remain unmarried and chaste in devotion to his religion (but that's not a requirement of said religion considering Ji, his adopted son, is the biological son of Markus' personal Guru and a mystical Far West Princess) Ji will hopefully, should his father prove successful with the dragon miracle, be a wizard-king dragon rider and hopefully pretty all around badass dude owing to his mystical heritage from both his biological sides and being raised as the heir to the throne of the Caercian Consortium. If he had a wife she's definitely need her own dragon

Now of course, I still need to discuss all this with Morph but I'm definitely thinking no matter what it'll be a wild and interesting ride and I do like your nation and play-style so I'd love to go at it together if you were interested?
    I'm not sure how well that would work. The Worm Below would probably stir up some unpleasant memories among my Pavonians. To make matters worse, my heir is married to an LoF follower and will probably convert to that religion, plus I'm seriously considering introducing one of two possible new religions this turn: either a faux-Christianity or the return of the Faeren.
    Okay, well that's fine. I just figured you might be interested in dragons too based on your other post and this was a way to pursue them I thought of.

More religions is fine by me.

What about a potential marriage? It doesn't have to be heirs or anything, I've got Brutus (B. 430) who will likely be named Protector of Region 92 once it's conquered if you had a lesser royal family member you'd like to marry off.
    We'll see how that turns out. I have got some potential princesses coming up, but it will be a few years before anything will happen, and there's no guessing what relations between us will be like by then.
    That sounds ominous... I was hoping they'd be good and don't see any reason they wouldn't be...

You guys tell me if I'm just being paranoid.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't be inclined to read too much into it except not wanting to commit to anything on his part. Pavonia has a large military for its size and a good Mil score, but I can't imagine he'd be foolish enough to try to fight us - and now that we have Minotron again he can't block trade between us either.

Really he (and we)'d probably be better off if he just joined us: he's fought for us at every time of asking anyway, he'd get easier access to our technologies as well as guaranteed military support. I guess it would stop him from deploying his mercenaries outside the Imperium, unless he got a blanket exception to that, but there aren't so many wars, and his troops aren't in such demand, that that's likely to be a serious issue. It wouldn't stop him from doing anything else except maybe getting an Empire, but he's an awfully long way off that anyway. I do understand not wanting to be a vassal psychologically, but it's not really too much of a handicap.

Quinton's mentioned that Murgen's also been speaking to him about maybe joining the Triumvirate. If we would rather he joined the Imperium it might be wise to move now. Not that I particularly mind the Triumvirate expanding, but it seems a shame to pass up the opportunity to grow ourselves! I'd be interested in getting AQUA as a vassal anyway (and actually have the best dynastic claim of anyone, not that that really matters in their republican government) so I'll begin negotiations for my own part. We can always sort out any details later.

[It's funny how within a few rounds of the vassal rules being changed, almost everyone has been pulled into one centre of gravity or other. I quite liked the patchwork of small states around the place, but it's also fairly realistic I guess. It does also limit the possibilty for "small wars", though, which is a shame. Good on Pryonia for fighting off Hurosha, though: I think that needs an epic poem - even if they ended up becoming a Hurosha vassal anyway.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-26 at 11:27 PM.

Red Sabres
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

We now have a wiki!