New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

]Re: A 106
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Ok, but why did you consider them to be Thrown Weapons? By your clarification, it's pretty clear that it's an attack, but I don't see how it's a thrown weapon.
    Dropped and thrown weapons use the same rules, according to the "Aerial Bombardment" section of Heroes of Battle (pages 67-68).

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 106 Contention, Continued

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 106 Contention
    The rules for spells state that Ice Storm is an attack. As a ranged attack spell, when cast underwater Ice Storm's effects are modified per the Ranged Attacks Underwater rules.
    Ok, but it's not a thrown weapon.

A thrown weapon is:

Thrown Weapons

Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll.
    A spell can only be considered a weapon in certain circumstances:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane
    WEAPONLIKE SPELLS
    Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage
    functions as a weapon in certain respects, whether the spell
    deals normal hit point damage, nonlethal damage, ability
    damage, or energy drain.
    The rules for modifying underwater weapons apply to weapons, and while Ice Storm is an attack, it is not a weapon.

Edit: Gimme a sec, reading up on HoB

Edit Edit: It says nothing about spells.
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2014-08-31 at 06:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 111 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft Skull Talisman
    Benefit: You can create a skull talisman of any spell you know and that targets one or more creatures.
    A Wish spell can target one or more creatures, so you can use Wish with a skull talisman with the restriction that the spell targets one or more creatures. Handily for this purpose, that restriction is built into the way skull talismans work.
    When you create a skull talisman, you make any choices that you would normally make when casting the spell. Whoever destroys the skull is the target of the spell.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Re:111
    Does that mean I could use a Skull Talisman of Wish to activate non-targeted effects like the creation of magic items, or does it mean that any attempt to use a non-targeted effect will fail and only a targeted effect can work?
    The way I see it, the limitation is that only a targeted spell can be put into a Skull Talisman. And Wish obeys that rule. Once I break the talisman, even if I'm the target of the "I wish I had a magic item" effect which doesn't really have a target, the spell should still work, right?
    (Similarly, how would a Skull Talisman of Dispel Magic work, if it can be either targeted or an area?)

5. - Top - End - #275

A 111 partial

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to do a nontargeted Wish with a Skull Talisman, but if you put Dispel Magic in there, it would do a Dispel Magic targetted on the breaker of the Skull Talisman. Pretty easy to adjudicate, there.

What would probably happen with the Wish Skull Talisman is that the spell would fail, as "Create a Magic Item" doesn't have the breaker of the skull talisman as a target, as:

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    The conditions of the Wish spell, when applied to the Skull Talisman, is that it must target the breaker of the skull Talisman.

"I wish I was a magic item", however, is totally legal.
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2014-08-31 at 07:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276

Q 112: Can a resilient sphere be used to trap the jaws of force created by the spiritjaws spell? And if yes, would it allow a reflex save?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 112

No. Resilient Sphere only works on creatures, and the jaws of force ain't one.

8. - Top - End - #278

Q 113: Can a caster cast an AOE spell through a wall of force?
    The spell description states that no spells can be cast through the wall and I know this definitely indicates targeted spells, but does this also prevent the casting of AoE spells?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 109
    When a spellcaster takes their 8 hours of 'restful calm' before preparing spells, they are restricted from any task that is 'physically demanding'. How far can a spellcaster move during this time under their own power? What about by ship, cart, or riding?
    To make this a little simpler in hopes of baiting an answer, let's divide this into two parts:

109A
    Because they do not usually need to make constitution checks, can constructs and undead walk over land while 'resting' to recover spells? Technically a long walk would not be physically demanding.

109B
    Could a spellcaster get 'restful calm' by riding an animal somewhere? Would the rest only be interrupted by anything that demands a ride or concentration check? Would those even interrupt rest?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Q 114

Can a Lich's phylactery be in the form of a (finger) ring, or does the fact it is made using Craft Wondrous Item preclude that?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 115
    Can you add more weapon enhancements to a Warforged Armbow, and if so, how would they increase the cost?
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Q116

Summon Monster N can summons 1 monster from the lvl N list, 1d3 monsters from the lvl N-1 list, and 1d4+1 monsters from the lvl N-2 list. Since Summon Monster IX can summon 1d4+1 monsters from the SM7 list, and Summon Monster VII can summon 1d4+1 monsters from the SM5 list, can SM9 summon (1d4+1)^2 monsters from the SM5 list?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A116 No
    It is limited to 1d4+1 as that is the number specified for "a lower-level list".

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 117
    A few questions about the Martial Study feat from the Book of Nine Swords and how it interact with martial adept classes.

117A: If you take Martial Study while already having levels in a martial adept class, it is added to your maneuvers known (even if the maneuver is in a discipline not normally accessible by this class). However, this doesn't change the number of maneuvers readied, right? You can't ready more maneuvers because you know more...

117B: On the other hand, if you take Martial Study before having levels in a martial adept class, the maneuver gains no recovery method, but you can use it once per encounter in addition to those gained through a martial adept class, right? In other word, taking Martial Study this way disavantages you a far as the recovery method is concerned, but is advantageous as far as readied maneuvers are concerned...

117C: Does the Adaptive Style feat concern maneuvers gained through Martial Study as well as those gained through martial adept levels? In other word, does the full-round mediation allows to refresh those maneuvers too?

117D: Class features affecting martial maneuvers are not linked to the way they were learned, right? For example, would a Swordsage gain the advantage of insightful strike with all the maneuvers of the chosen discipline, whether they are gained as a swordsage, through another martial adept class, or through Martial Study?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2014-09-01 at 08:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 118

If an Anthropomorphic giant squid has the multi-weapon fighting feat and has the Draconic Template applied to it, how many natural/weapon attacks could it make during one full attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

A 117

a) Correct.

b) Correct.

c) Only if you took the Martial Study feat after becoming an Initiator.

d) Correct.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 113 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall of Force
    Breath weapons and spells cannot pass through the wall in either direction, although dimension door, teleport, and similar effects can bypass the barrier.
    You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect.
    The origin point of any area spell is a grid intersection. If all lines between the spellcaster's grid intersections and the desired origin point of the spell must pass through a Wall of Force, the casting fails.
    Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    A 114 Yes.

This is explicitly permitted by the rules.
    Other forms of phylacteries can exist, such as rings, amulets, or similar items.
    Of course, you have to follow all applicable rules. Even though the phylactery may be in the shape of a ring, it's not not permitted to have magical ring properties unless it is created through the use of Forge Ring.

A 115

Yes, if you have Craft Magic Arms And Armor, you can improve a Warforged Armbow. However, there is no price formula for this item, so the only enhancements you can add are those with a fixed cost (rather than a +n enhancement cost). One such example would be Blindsighted (Underdark, page 68). You simply add the given fixed cost (30,000 gp in the case of Blindsighted) to the cost of the component.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-09-01 at 02:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q119 Factotum's Cunning Brilliance

119A Does the effect of a Factotum using Cunning Brilliance to emulate Item Creation from an Artificer allow enough time to actually create an item?

119B When is the check made for this, or is it something that must be met the entire time of the process?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 119A No.

Cunning Brilliance lasts for 1 minute, once per day. The minimum requirements for item creation are as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master's Guide, page 283
    The character must spend the gold and XP at the beginning of the construction process.

The caster works for 8 hours each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, page 88
    Time: The time to create a magic item depends on the feat and the cost of the item. The minimum time is one day.
    A 119B

The required costs must be paid ahead of time (i.e., spend the XP and use up materials as specified for the item before any creation work is attempted). Then the necessary conditions must be met for the time required (required item creation feats, access to a laboratory or magical workshop, and so forth). After 8 hours of work each day, any needed checks are made. If multiple days of work are required, repeat for each day.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 120

If a target has total concealment from me, I have to attack the square it occupies instead. Do I roll against my targets AC or the squares AC?
    Edit: typo

21. - Top - End - #291

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snailgosh View Post
    Q 120

If a target has total concealment from me, I have to attack the square it occupies instead. Do I roll against my targets AC or the squares AC?
    A 120

Assuming that you know that he is there, you have a 50% miss chance in addition to normal combat rules.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    A 120

Assuming that you know that he is there, you have a 50% miss chance in addition to normal combat rules.
    So regular target's AC? So for example an arrow fired from a +1 Seeking Shortbow at a guy behind some tapestry would be just a regular attack roll?
    Last edited by snailgosh; 2014-09-01 at 07:42 PM.
    Edit: typo

23. - Top - End - #293

DwarfClericGuy

So regular target's AC? So for example an arrow fired from a +1 Seeking Shortbow at a guy behind some tapestry would be just a regular attack roll?
    Well, that's not concealment, that's cover. There's a difference. Cover basically gives him a +4 to AC If its just partial cover like having another guy standing in the way or something like that.
    Total cover means you can't attack him at all. Total cover could be a wall, or a door.

In this case, he would probably get more than a +4 to AC since he is completely blocked from you visually.

He would get the 50% miss chance because you can't see him at all. And he would get a bonus to AC because of the tapestry.
    If the tapestry was especially thick, it could block the attack entirely, but that would depend in the hardness and HP of the tapestry.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 120
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeking
    (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)
    If you can't aim at the square (i.e., the tapestry covers it completely, blocking line of effect), your seeking arrow can't get there. Even if there's line of effect you still need to guess the correct square. But other than those difficulties, it's just a regular ranged attack roll.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 121

Is there any variant of the vampire template that would make it possible for Giant-type creatures to become vampires?

I've been looking at one of the mini-adventures at the back of Libris Mortis (the Fanghurst adventure site) which features a vampiric Ogre and a vampiric Ogre Mage, but I don't know of anything that actually makes that a legal use of the template. (Possibly of note is that the Ogre Vampire only has his 4 racial Hit Dice, which besides being the wrong creature type also disqualifies him from being a full vampire by RAW, meaning this may just be poorly written.)

I don't have a problem house-ruling vampiric giants, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something first.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

A 121

The Monstrous Vampire template (Ghostwalk, p. 166) can be applied to Giants.

However, I say with some confidence that the sample Ogre Vampires in Libris Mortis were an error made by someone who didn't understand that Giants are not eligible for the standard Vampire template (they were probably getting confused with Monstrous Humanoid).

27. - Top - End - #297

Q 122
    Can Bestow Curse be used to overwrite the effect of a previous Bestow Curse, due to the rules on stacking the same effect with different results?

Q 123
    By RAW and without DM fiat, may Bestow Curse inflict a penalty of -0 to an ability score? -2? -3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbacz
    For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic is silly, and has little place in the real world.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Reposting so it doesn't get lost

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 118

If an Anthropomorphic giant squid has the multi-weapon fighting feat and has the Draconic Template applied to it, how many natural/weapon attacks could it make during one full attack?
    Also:

Q 124

What are the penalties/limitations while prone? I'm particulary interested in thrown weapon attacks, as Shuriken's are mentioned to be usable, but that's all I found.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

29. - Top - End - #299

A122

If two Bestow Curses of the same type affect the same creature, the worst applies. If the two have different effects, they "stack" due to not having anything to do with each other.

A123

Yes:

You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.
    It can be less powerful.

A124

Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.
    But in the Table of Attack Roll Modifiers

Most ranged weapons can’t be used while the attacker is prone, but you can use a crossbow or shuriken while prone at no penalty.
    Interesting. Text-trumps-table seems to say that only a crossbow can be used while prone, but... I'm not actually sure, here. I think that's all the rules on being prone.
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2014-09-02 at 04:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

MindFlayer

Q125
    Can a Wilder use Wild Surge and get the "free" power points from doing so even when it doesn't bring the spent PP above its ML? For example, could a level 5 Wilder with Wild Surge +2 manifest Synchronicity for 1 PP, Wild Surge to augment it to 3 PP spent, even though it could have just spent 3 PP on its own?

What about for an unaugmented power? Could that same Wilder manifest Time Hop by paying 3 PP and Wild Surging for 2, even though it could pay 5 PP on its own?