New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

A 13

See Curmudgeon's answer below for a better answer, this is a ballpark estimate at best if you have no idea for the price.

From the SRD: (Spell Level (2) x CL (min 3) x 1,800 for command word) / 5 for 1 charge, so 720 x CL (min 3) gold. Hours/level is the default pricing as 10 mins/level is more expensive, and 24 hours/level is less, and AFAIK there are no other time/level between those two.

Edit: Scratch that last sentence, that applies to continuous items, not command word.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2014-08-20 at 11:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 013 [correction]

The answer for all custom magic items is: ask your DM. The hierarchy of pricing is:
    1. actual worth
    2. comparable existing item(s)
    3. price based on a formula

See BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES on page 282 of Dungeon Master's Guide. Any answer which ignores the first two considerations and jumps to the third (the formula price) is incorrect.

3. - Top - End - #33

Thanks for the correction Curmudgeon, I'll change my answer to state its an approximation at best.

Q 14

Does the Primeval's Fast Movement ability stack with the Barbarian's or do they overlap?

Q 15

Can a Wizard that takes the Extra Spell feat learn a spell from the Cleric or Druid spell list that is not on the Wizard list?
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2014-08-20 at 11:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 14

Abilities with the same name overlap, unless stated otherwise.

A 15

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: This question has been debated time and time again on D&D Forums

The official FAQ says you can't, that Extra Spell allows you only to learn spells from your list, but the FAQ isn't RAW because it's not an errata.

As such, you can, by RAW, pick a spell from a different list

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 015 [correction] No.
    Benefit: You learn one additional spell at any level up to one lower than the highest level of spell you can currently cast.
    What's the highest level Cleric or Druid spell a Wizard can cast? You can't do the arithmetic required by Extra Spell until you can first supply a number.

Spells don't have levels without an associated class. As an example, what's the level of Control Water? The answers would be 4 for a Druid, 4 for a Cleric, but 6 for a Wizard, and "—" for a Paladin. If you can't supply a number for what level of Cleric or Druid spell you can already cast, you're starting with "—". Subtraction isn't possible with "—", which means Extra Spell only works with spells already on your class list.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Q 016

I may have asked this before, but I would like citations if possible:

Does a Human with a template that changes it's type from Humanoid (say, Half-Farspawn) still qualify for the Human Paragon class, and/or the Able Leaner feat because it retains the Human subtype?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

A 16

Yes, race is a(n ill-defined) property separate from Type or Subtype. So unless a template changes the creature's race (I'm not aware of any doing that), the creature retains it race.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Obviously, a character can only take levels in the racial paragon class associated with his race.
    so Type and subtype do not matter.

Able learner is a bit less explicit:
    Quote Originally Posted by RoD p. 150
    Prerequisite
    Human or doppelganger
    It does not mention whether the Human subtype or the human race is required, though the alternative prerequisite (doppelganger) would suggest that it is the latter (there is no doppelganger subtype). Either way the answer is yes unless the template either removes the human subtype or changes the creatures race. Again, I'm not aware of any template doing that.

8. - Top - End - #38

Q 017
    The master of a familiar can cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

Does this include the Permanency spell for spells that can be made permanent only for the caster? For example, can a familiar receive a Tongue spell and have it made permanent by its master?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Q 018

I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about having a chance of hitting an ally when shooting missile fire into a grapple and/or pin, but I simply cannot find it. Am I imagining it, or can someone show me where it is?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 18

See footnote 3 about firing a ranged attack at an opponent who is grappling on the Combat Modifiers chart.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-08-21 at 07:21 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 10

Is there a list of mundane armor enhancements, be them templates (like githcraft), materials (like Mithral) or add-ons (like Wandchambered for weapons)?

Thanks!
    A10

Templates, materials and add-ons are scattered throughout the books, although there are a number of mundane enhancements listed in Dragon 358 that are built into the weapon when created. I believe wand chambers are from Dungeonscape.
    Last edited by Bronk; 2014-08-21 at 08:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 018 additional info

This rule is also stated in the Improved Precise Shot feat's Normal section.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 19

if someone without improved precise shot or similar ability shoots into a grapple, is the random determination who is hit modified by the size of the creatures involved in a grapple?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 019 Ask your DM.

The rules only stipulate a random roll. The DM could weight this random distribution by the number of creatures or the number of creature squares.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q20

If a damage roll goes below one, it is still one damage. One of my friends said this damage would always be nonlethal instead of lethal. Is this true? If so, in which book and on which page is it?

Example: 1d3-4 is always going to be one point of damage, is this lethal or nonlethal?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

A20 Your friend is making things up. That isn't a rule.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q21

This one has always eluded me.

A bag of holding is a non dimensional space

A portable hole is an extra dimensional space

A rope trick is an extra dimensional space

Put a BoH inside a PH and it goes boom
    Put a PH Inside a BoH and it goes boom

Rope trick says that it is hazardous to have an extra dimensional space (PH or RT) Inside another extra dimensional space (PH or RT) however it makes no hints that having a non dimensional space (BoH) inside a RT is dangerous.

BoH + RT = boom?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

A 21

No. More about this can be found here.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Q22

Can a martial adept use a maneuver while restrained? E.G. Could a swordsage use Shadow Jaunt to escape restraints?

Q23

Can a Psion manifest powers while being restrained? If so, is there a conventional low-magic way to stop one from manifesting powers?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 022 No.

From page 38 of Tome of Battle:
    To initiate a maneuver or a stance, you must be able to move.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

A23 Yes, with a concentration check.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/ps...ifestingPowers
    Grappling or Pinned
    To manifest a power while grappling or pinned, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + the level of the power you’re manifesting) or lose the power.
    [...]
    Entangled
    If you want to manifest a power while entangled in a net or while affected by a power with similar effects you must make a DC 15 Concentration check to manifest the power. You lose the power if you fail.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 23

Yes. Manifesting psionic powers is a purely mental action. You can even do it while paralyzed (such as when subjected to a hold person spell).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 024

I have 2 quick questions regarding the way the Shadow Evocation spell manifests a quasi-real Wind Wall spell.

1. Arrows, bolts, normal ranged weapons, gases and most gaseous breath weapons (all referenced in Wind Wall) would all ignore the Shadow Evoked Wind Wall due to their object status, correct?

2. If my wizard has the Heighten Spell feat, could I cast the 5th level Shadow Evocation spell to simulate a Heightened 4th Level Wind Wall?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 025A

Skiprocks (RotW pg 165) are thrown weapons that are treated as ammunition for the purposes of what happens to them after they are thrown. If a +1 returning skiprock is thrown does it still return to the thrower or is it destroyed?

Q 025B
    Does the result change if the skiprock is affected by a Bloodstorm Blade's Lightning Ricochet ability?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 26

As a wizard, could I learn a bard spell If it was on a scroll, because it is also an arcane spell?

If not , where does it state this explicitly?
    Last edited by Coldsturm; 2014-08-22 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    ...I would guess at low optimization a Cleric wins, bc that's when the chassis matters more, at mid levels I would guess wizard simply because the Wizard spell list is better, and at high it doesnt matter because the universe is being destroyed retroactively as both classes are making new ones, smugly saying "I'll create my own arcane/divine universe with blackjack and hookers.".

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 024

1. Correct.

2. Not directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Evocation
    You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to cast a quasi-real, illusory version of a sorcerer or wizard evocation spell of 4th level or lower. (For a spell with more than one level, use the best one applicable to you.)
    If your Wizard knows Wind Wall and has Heighten Spell, they still only know Wind Wall. Being able to assemble a higher-level version of Wind Wall is not the same as knowing that higher-level spell.
    known spell

A spell that an arcane spellcaster has learned and can prepare. For wizards, knowing a spell means having it in their spellbooks. For sorcerers and bards, knowing a spell means having selected it when acquiring new spells as a benefit of level advancement.
    The mechanism for a Wizard learning a spell is clearly documented, involving Spellcraft checks, time, and pages written into their spellbook. If your Wizard has a written version of Wind Wall heightened to 4th level, they can study that and learn it as a 4th-level spell. Only then could they cast that 4th-level spell via Shadow Evocation.

A 025A It's destroyed.

There's nothing in the description of the Returning weapon property which overrides the general rules for ammunition.
    Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.
    If it's destroyed, that's the end of the Returning magic.

A 025B No.

There's also nothing in the Lightning Ricochet description to override the ammunition rules.

A 026

Player's Handbook, page 56:
    Spells: A wizard casts arcane spells (the same type of spells available to sorcerers and bards), which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192).
    Also see the above Glossary definition for known spell. A Wizard cannot prepare or cast a Bard spell (because it's not on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list), which means they cannot learn (know) it. (The Wizard can certainly copy the Bard spell into their spellbook, but that's less useful to them than writing their grocery list into the same pages.)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 27 Incorporeal creatures ignore solid objects, terrain, and a great many physical effects. How many medium sized incorporeal undead can I cram into a Type 1 Bag of Holding?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q28

Are spell foci inherently considered magic items or are they mundane items? Specifically, can one cast Animate Objects or Shrink Item on the bottle which is the focus of the spell Smoky Confinement (CMa)?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

A 28

Focus components are not magic items.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Q29 How do chill metal and heat metal interact with Extend Spell metamagic? With Persistent Spell metamagic?