New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    A 27
    As much as I would like to answer this question...
    Thanks man, I thought it was like this but I don't have access to everything published so I thought I would check. It wasn't a 30' cube anyways but 30 cubic feet, more like 3' x 5' x 2'.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

A 41

Yes you must succeed on a ranged touch attack for each ray. As far as I can tell, the rules are silent whether the caster has to roll once for SR or as many times as rays hit the target with SR. Personally I'd lean towards once per ray.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Spamalot in the Playground

A41 correction: Rules Compendium 130 covers this - you check SR just once.

Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of
    a spell or use of a spell-like ability.
    If a creature’s spell resistance
    fails the first time, it fails each time the creature encounters
    that same casting of the spell. Likewise, if spell resistance
    succeeds the first time, it always succeeds. If a creature has
    voluntarily lowered its spell resistance and is then subjected
    to a spell, the creature still has a single chance to resist that
    spell later, when its spell resistance is again functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 42

Do dreadful wrath and frightful presence stack with each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    ...I would guess at low optimization a Cleric wins, bc that's when the chassis matters more, at mid levels I would guess wizard simply because the Wizard spell list is better, and at high it doesnt matter because the universe is being destroyed retroactively as both classes are making new ones, smugly saying "I'll create my own arcane/divine universe with blackjack and hookers.".

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Thanks man, I thought it was like this but I don't have access to everything published so I thought I would check. It wasn't a 30' cube anyways but 30 cubic feet, more like 3' x 5' x 2'.
    Whoops, I was calculating for square feet. Shoot.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 042 No.

Dreadful Wrath conditionally grants you the Frightful Presence ability. Frightful Presence doesn't stack with itself.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 43

If, as a wizard, I know spells in the enchantment school and it later become a prohibited school due to a prestiege class, can I still cast the spells I know or are those spells now useless in my spellbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    ...I would guess at low optimization a Cleric wins, bc that's when the chassis matters more, at mid levels I would guess wizard simply because the Wizard spell list is better, and at high it doesnt matter because the universe is being destroyed retroactively as both classes are making new ones, smugly saying "I'll create my own arcane/divine universe with blackjack and hookers.".

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coldsturm View Post
    Q 43

If, as a wizard, I know spells in the enchantment school and it later become a prohibited school due to a prestiege class, can I still cast the spells I know or are those spells now useless in my spellbook?
    A43

They are useless.

From SRD
    "Spells of the prohibited school or schools are not available to the wizard, and she can’t even cast such spells from scrolls or fire them from wands. She may not change either her specialization or her prohibited schools later."

There are however feats and methods that you can take to circumvent this prohibition. But I'm not overly familiar with them.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 44

a) What is the form of the area covered with Kelgore's Grave Mist?
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB II p. 116
    Area: 20-ft. radius spread, 20 ft. high
    Is it a cylinder a cone or some other form?

b) can this form be oriented as the caster sees fit? E.g. if it is a cylinder, can the circular part be parallel or perpendicular to the ground?

Q 45

If the lowest point of an area effect is 5ft off the ground are medium creatures (especially those that are taller then 5 ft) safe from the effect, but large and larger ones are not?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 46

I have a question about 'killing' the ghost of a creature one has just finished killing. I know Ghostwalk has rules for the time it takes for a dead-creature's soul to rise and appear on the etheral plane before possibly being swept away by the etheral current. I do not know how the soul leaving the body works outside Ghostwalk rules, and whether the non-ghostwalk raw even covers that. My question is, depending on the rules in play, if a character has access to the clarity of vision skill trick (or an other method of perceiving invisible/etheral creatures) and is capable of affecting etheral creatures (e.g. force attack), can said character wait around next to a just-died body for the ghost to rise, perceive that ghost, and then attack/kill the ghost of the creature to prevent it from being ressurected?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #101

DwarfClericGuy

Q47

If a creature has dark vision 60', such as a kobold, how exactly does it measure away from him if the area immediately around him isn't dark at all?

Example:

A kobold is carrying a torch with him which gives illumination to 20' and shadowy illumination another 20' beyond that (40' total with at least some amount of light on it) does his darkvision allow him to see 20' beyond the edge of the shadowy illumination? Or does the darkvision distance begin at the point where the light stops, so at 40' from him he can see into 60' of pure darkness for a total of 100' away he can see? If its the latter, then even creatures with darkvision can benefit from a light source as it extends their ability to see. (Other than the negative points of having a light source like having everything else see your light and know you're there.)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 44 Another one where they forgot to read the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB2
    Area: 20-ft. radius spread, 20 ft. high
    So let's take this apart:

20' high means 20' high, so we limit whatever shape is created to 20' high.

Spread means
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Burst, Emanation, or Spread
    Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.
    Whilst Bursts and Emanations can be cone shaped not spherical, this does not really apply to Spreads because they turn corners, not to mention the default is a sphere unless specified otherwise - base shape without obstructions is a sphere.

So put the two together - you get a spread of 20' from the point of origin in all directions with the caveat that the top cannot be more than 20' above the base - presumably a bottom-half hemisphere if created in mid air. Definitely a hemisphere if created on flat, unobstructed ground.

A 45 Yes, but the rules do not clarify if the mist is lighter or heavier than air. By default I think it should be neutral buoyancy (i.e. it will neither sink nor rise) as some spells specify that their vapors sink.
    However, because it is a "thin mist" any disturbance of the air could move it. It should remain fairly still normally, but this is worth clarifying with your DM and they (or you if it is you) should try for consistency - a person walking through it should not have any effect, but a Colossal creature might well!

Edit: Creatures not touching the mist are not effected by it. The rules are weird for creatures taller than their space but I think Curmudgeon is right and creatures taller than 5' will be affected.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2014-08-24 at 02:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Q 048

If my 12th level elf wizard uses Alter Self to transmute into a Raptoran (from RotW), how do I adjudicate the Raptoran's unique HD-based Flight ability for my elf wizard? Reference RotW pg. 68 for the Raptoran Flight ability.

I'm primarily wondering if the Alter Self's 5HD limitation correlates to the HD-based Flight mechanics of the Raptoran race.

Thank You!
    Last edited by Miss Disaster; 2014-08-24 at 12:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 045 No.

If any part of a creature is inside the effect, they're inside the effect. Dwarves (less than 5' high) would be safe, but not most Medium creatures.

A 047

Darkvision radius is from the creature, so the creature would perceive things in that radius in plain sight, but outside illuminated areas, as black & white.

Edit: Ninja cross-fire.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-08-24 at 12:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A47 The Darkvision starts at the creature and is measured independently of any light sources. The Darkvision not only allows the kobold to see 20' beyond the edge of the torch's shadowy illumination, it also covers the shadowy illumination thus relying on the torch shadows to hide in (i.e. not behind an object) will fail as there is no concealment from the darkvision. It is black-and-white though so the torch is still potentially useful.

16. - Top - End - #106

BardGuy

Q 048
    What is the correct way to calculate reach when having the Inhuman Reach feat?
    Medium with no reach weapon: 10ft
    Medium with reach weapon: 20ft
    Large without reach weapon: 15ft ??
    Large with reach weapon: 30ft ??

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 048 Yes.

All of those are correct. Inhuman Reach increases your natural reach, and reach weapons double your natural reach. (Don't forget the -1 to attacks, though; this feat isn't without its downside.)

18. - Top - End - #108

BardGuy

Thank you Curmudgeon

Q 49
    What's the correct way to calculate reach with the Long Reach feat on larger creatures?

Large creature with a Shortspear: 5-20ft or 5-15ft?
    Large creature with a longspear: 20-30ft or 20-25ft?

Q 49.b
    Assuming you had both Inhuman Reach, Long Reach and a long spear, what would your reach be?
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2014-08-24 at 02:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

I already had Q 048 posted, but Seppo87 overlapped it. So I'll repost with a new number.

Q 050

If my 12th level elf wizard uses Alter Self to transmute into a Raptoran (from RotW), how do I adjudicate the Raptoran's unique HD-based Flight ability for my elf wizard? Reference RotW pg. 68 for the Raptoran Flight ability.

I'm primarily wondering if the Alter Self's 5HD limitation correlates to the HD-based Flight mechanics of the Raptoran race.

Thank You!
    Last edited by Miss Disaster; 2014-08-24 at 02:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 049
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Reach
    Benefit: When you wield a spear or shortspear, you can use the weapon to attack opponents 5 or 10 feet away. When you wield a longspear, you can attack opponents 10 or 15 feet away.
    The benefit of the Long Reach feat is in fixed distance figures. So a Large character wielding any of these weapons with Long Reach would not gain any extra capabilities. A Huge character (15' reach) would be able to attack opponents at 10' with a longspear thanks to Long Reach, a capability they would normally lack. Gargantuan and Colossal creatures would also be able to attack at 10' and 15' with a longspear; again, these reach distances are not normally possible for them.

(The Normal section of Long Reach may provide ground for arguing for a house rule with your DM, but that's outside the scope of this thread.)

A 050

You cannot assume any form with more than 5 HD. If you find a 5 HD Raptoran you can assume that form, and you would gain the movement capabilities of that form.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 45

I didn't mean in relation to Grave Mist but in a more general sense. Do medium creatures that are taller than 5 ft occupy more than one 5 ft cube? Can they be affected by area effects that are not in the cube they are supposed to be in but in an adjacent one that would contain some of their body.

Re: A 050

Isn't the Flight of a 5+ HD Raptoran and Extraordinary ability and as such would not be conferred to the beneficiary of an Alter Self spell?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-08-24 at 03:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 045
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I didn't mean in relation to Grave Mist but in a more general sense. Do medium creatures that are taller than 5 ft occupy more than one 5 ft cube? Can they be affected by area effects that are not in the cube they are supposed to be in but in an adjacent one that would contain some of their body.
    Yes, they're subject to effects in all the cubes they occupy. The Movement in Cramped Spaces section of Dungeon Master's Guide II (page 55) explains the ramifications of the squeezing rules for characters moving through spaces which are smaller vertically than a creature’s height. A character between 5' and 10' tall can squeeze through using just their bottom 5' cube, but normally they occupy multiple 5' cubes.

Re: A 050
    Isn't the Flight of a 5+ HD Raptoran and Extraordinary ability and as such would not be conferred to the beneficiary of an Alter Self spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Self
    You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), ...

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-08-24 at 03:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Q 51:

Is Dragonborn of Bahamut officially considered a template? Specifically, could you use Alter Self or similar to turn into one? It's treated effectively like a template, of course, but I don't think they ever actually use the word "template" in relation to it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

24. - Top - End - #114

DwarfClericGuy

Q52

Ocular Spell

( Lords of Madness, p. 181)

[Metamagic]

Your study of the terrible powers of the beholder has given you insight into new ways to prepare and cast spells.
    Prerequisite
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) 4 ranks, two or more eyes,
    Benefit
    You can cast a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or less as an ocular spell. An ocular spell does not take effect immediately, but is instead held in one of your eyes for up to 8 hours. You can store only two ocular spells in this fashion, even if you have more than two eyes. Only ray spells and spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells. When you choose, you can then cast both of the ocular spells as a full-round action; the spells become brilliant blasts that shoot out from your eyes. You can choose different targets for the two ocular spells. When you release an ocular spell, its effect changes to a ray with a range of up to 60 feet. If the spell previously would have affected multiple creatures, it now affects only the creature struck by the ray. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target with an ocular spell, and the target is still permitted any saving throw allowed by the spell.
    Example: Ferno, an 11th-level wizard with the Ocular Spell feat, could prepare two scorching ray spells as ocular spells, casting them at the beginning of the day. In combat, he can take a full-round action to fi re off both scorching ray spells. He can fire each spell at a different target, and he gets all three rays from each spell. An ocular spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Does a spell have to meet both criteria or just one?

ie , must be a ray AND range other than personal

Or is it
    Any ray spell, or any spell with range other than personal?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

A 52

It is only ray spells can be cast as ocular spells and only spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells. Otherwise the metamagic could be applied to no spells at all, because ray spells do not have a target entry.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-08-25 at 12:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

DwarfClericGuy

A 52

It is only ray spells can be cast as ocular spells and only spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells. Otherwise the metamagic could be applied to no spells at all, because ray spells do not have a target entry.
    Oh duhhhr.
    Pretty obvious

27. - Top - End - #117

Q53

If I have an ability that increases the critical range of a weapon by a flat amount (say, 1, turning a 19-20 longsword into 18-20). Does Keen and/or Improved Critical apply before or after the flat increase to critical range? Or do they not work together at all? (So, does the longsword turn 17-20 like a normal keen sword. 16-20 with the keen +increase ranged. Or 15-20 due to increased range, then Keen?)

28. - Top - End - #118

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Q53

If I have an ability that increases the critical range of a weapon by a flat amount (say, 1, turning a 19-20 longsword into 18-20). Does Keen and/or Improved Critical apply before or after the flat increase to critical range? Or do they not work together at all? (So, does the longsword turn 17-20 like a normal keen sword. 16-20 with the keen +increase ranged. Or 15-20 due to increased range, then Keen?)
    A53

I want to say that you apply them in the most beneficial order. The big thing would be if either effect has a blanket statement saying that it doesn't stack with any other effect. If it specifically lists a few effects that are excluded then you should be fine.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 051 No.

The word "template" is never used for Dragonborn; "transformation" is used instead. Operationally, it functions as an acquired template; it just lacks that label.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 054
    Is there a spell or power that allows to divine which exact plane of existence you are on, either directly or as a secondary effect? For example, after a random banishment or plane shift...
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature