New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

A 054 Yes
    For one, there is the spell Discern Location which specifically reveals the plane the target is on - just cast it on yourself.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q 55

Wings of Flurry

(Races of the Dragon)

Evocation [Force]
    Level: Sorcerer 4,
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 30 ft.
    Area: 30-ft.-radius burst
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Immense, scaled wings unfurl from behind you and beat at nearby foes in a savage flurry before vanishing as quickly as they appeared.
    You evoke flickering dragon's wings that strike at every target in range, dealing 1d6 points of damage per caster level to all designated targets within 30 feet that fail a Reflex saving throw and half that damage to creatures that succeed on the save.
    Creatures that fail the Reflex save are also dazed for 1 round.
    Special: A dragonblooded character, or a character with the dragon type, casts this spell at +1 caster level.

"Designated" is a little ambiguous.

Are you the one who designates the target?

Are they designated automatically based on their status as friend or foe?

Can it hit a friendly that is disguised as a foe?

Or does the fact that he is still friendly
    prevent him from being targeted?

Can it strike foes that you cant see but know are in range?

can it strike foes you are unaware of?

Does it strike friendlies that you are unaware of?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 56

"Petitioner" template set HD = 2

But what if the only HD was class HD?
    Does it mean such petitioners still have 2 class levels?
    (And, also, if creature was lvl 1 in life, it will got level-up postmortem)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 057

A question regarding the Shadow Evocation spell.

-----------------------------------------------

An enemy wizard has a 3rd level spell up and running - Blacklight. My sorceror casts a 5th level Shadow Evocation spell that simulates the 4th level spell Blistering Radiance (SpC p. 33). Which has the following text line in it: "Blistering radiance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level."

In this case, does Shadow Evocation successfully dispel the enemy wizard's Blacklight spell?

Similarly, if my sorceror chose to instead simulate Continual Flame (2nd level Light descriptor spell) via Shadow Evocation, would the Blacklight spell still dispel? Or does the Shadow Evocation's 5th level spell status override the 2nd level spell status of Continual Flame?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 58

So, what happens to the Paladin's mount when the Paladin dies? And I am not talking about a mount obtained as a cohort, I mean the horse you call from the celestial realms?

6. - Top - End - #126

A55
    Wings of Flurry hits all targets in a 30ft radius. Since it doesn't explicitly say that some creatures can be excluded from the blast, all creatures are affected, since the general rule for burst spells are:
    A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners).
    A56
    A petitioner does not level up, it loses all previous hit die and gains 2d8 Outsider hit die. For 1 hit die creatures, this is an improvement!

A57
    RAW, it looks like it acts like a 5th level Light spell, and especially since it explicitly mimicks the effects of the spell you're copying, using Blazing Radiance would counter Blacklight.

However:
    If the disbelieved attack has a special effect other than damage, that effect is one-fifth as strong (if applicable) or only 20% likely to occur.
    This might mean that Shadow Evocation would act as a 1st level Light Spell (1/5th of 5th level is 1st), or have an 80% failure chance, but it's not clear if a Shadow Evocation interacting with a spell interacts the same way as it affects a creature or an object. Since spells don't make will saves, and aren't objects, they might act like it's a real spell.

Probably need a second opinion on this.

A58
    RAW, the mount lasts 2hrs/paladin level and at the end of the duration, is plane shifted back to where it came from. It still exists, but cannot be summoned. The Paladin's Call Mount ability creates a Warhorse at 5th level for them to ride - the paladin dying doesn't make the Warhorse vanish or anything, the ability just means he can call it to him.

7. - Top - End - #127

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    A55
    Wings of Flurry hits all targets in a 30ft radius. Since it doesn't explicitly say that some creatures can be excluded from the blast, all creatures are affected, since the general rule for burst spells are:

Soooo does this mean that the spell hits the caster as well?

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    Soooo does this mean that the spell hits the caster as well?
    A55 additional

No, since you count squares by intersection when casting spells, and spell area origins must always land on an intersection. The only way you could affect yourself is if you start on an intersection behind you, or in the center of the square, which is illegal. The spell effect looks something like this:

The drow is the caster.
    Green is the spell's range.
    Purple is the spell's area.
    Cyan is the area that, by RAW, is affected by the spell, due to stupid range limit rules that nobody actually uses.

Unless I'm wrong, I do think this is how it works.

9. - Top - End - #129

DwarfClericGuy

A55 additional

No, since you count squares by intersection when casting spells, and spell area origins must always land on an intersection. The only way you could affect yourself is if you start on an intersection behind you, or in the center of the square, which is illegal. The spell effect looks something like this:

The drow is the caster.
    Green is the spell's range.
    Purple is the spell's area.
    Cyan is the area that, by RAW, is affected by the spell, due to stupid range limit rules that nobody actually uses.

Unless I'm wrong, I do think this is how it works.
    Wow. If that's how WoF works then its a piece of crap spell.

10. - Top - End - #130

EvilClericGuy

Q 59

Is there any sort of "continual darkness" spell or item in 3.5 (I know there was in 3.0)?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 55 - Correction

A55
    This is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Flurry
    Immense, scaled wings unfurl from behind you and beat at nearby foes in a savage flurry before vanishing as quickly as they appeared.
    You evoke flickering dragon's wings that strike at every target in range, dealing 1d6 points of damage per caster level to all designated targets within 30 feet that fail a Reflex saving throw and half that damage to creatures that succeed on the save.
    Since "foe" isn't, as far as I know, defined in game terms, we must go to the real-life definition of it

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster: Foe
    noun \ˈfō\: an enemy
    Quote Originally Posted by WotC's Glossary: Enemy
    A creature unfriendly to you.
    Unfriendly is defined in the Diplomacy skill and it says:

Quote Originally Posted by Unfriendly
    [Means] Wishes you ill [Possible Actions] Mislead, gossip, avoid, watch suspiciously, insult
    So while I don't it, by RAW, targets anyone attacking you (because then they would be Hostile, not Unfriendly. Maybe I should post this to the Stupid RAW thread?), it most certainly doesn't target allies within the radius.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 59

You can make an item like this by following the item creation guideline.

Since Darkness is a level 2 spell (unless you can get a Telflammar Shadowlord to make as a 1st level spell), has a minimum CL of 3 and lasts for 10min/lv, a continuous Eye lenses or Goggles of Darkness should cost 2*3*2000*1.5, which is 18'000,00 GP. If you choose another body slot not related to vision, you an make it for 27'000,00 GP.

If you do get a Tf Shadowlord to make you one, it should cost 3000 GP for Eye lenses/goggles or 4500 GP for a different slot.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-25 at 11:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A 55 - Correction
    A55 - Amendment

While I would love for this to be true, as it would make WoF really good, I'm not sure if the italicized fluff text at the start of some spells counts as rules text.

Q60

Does the italicized text at the beginning of some spell descriptions count as rules text?
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2014-08-25 at 11:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 61A
    Does a Nature's Warrior's Armor of the Crocodile ability increase natural armor by 1 per Nature' Warrior level or for every class level you have?

Q 61B
    Does the Nature's Warrior's Claws of the Grizzly stack with itself? It does not list a type but Armor of the Crocodile is specifically an actual improvement and Nature's Weapon is specifically an enchantment bonus. So is Claws of the Grizzly an untyped bonus?

Q 62A
    Does an Ultimate Magus' Augmented Casting class feature allow a wizard to spontaneously apply metamagic to their spells by sacrificing a sorcerer spell slot at the time of casting, or must the slot be sacrificed when preparing spells?

Q 62B
    Is there any limit to the amount of metamagic one can place on a single spell, granted you only use the ability once?
    For example, could you sacrifice a 5th level spell (slot) to place both Empower and Maximize on a spell at the same time?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 61A
    "Per class level" always means "Per levels in the class that grants the ability". Unless otherwise noted.

A 61B
    Untyped bonuses don't stack with themselves (as in, if they're from the same source)

A 62A
    The sacrificing happens when you apply a metamagic feat. You apply metamagic feats to Wizard spell when preparing them, as such, the Sorcerer slot must be sacrificed then

A 62B

sacrifice a spell or spell slot from one of your classes to apply the effect of a metamagic feat that you know to a spell cast using another arcane class.
    It's all singular, so it's one slot/spell for one feat.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-26 at 01:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

A 60

The books make no distinction between fluff and rules text. so either everything is rules text or nothing.

A 61 B Correction

Untyped bonuses generally do stack with each other. They don't if they come from the same source. The source of a bonus is the ability that grants it. So this is the case here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 56 Addition

What's about sentient items?
    They are constructs, but without any HD!
    Are they get 2d8 too?
    (And what's will be with the magical properties of intelligent item-petitioner)

A56
    A petitioner does not level up, it loses all previous hit die and gains 2d8 Outsider hit die. For 1 hit die creatures, this is an improvement!
    Indeed, improvement it is!
    And yes, petitioner may not level up, but I couldn't see any rules about losing pre-existing CFs
    Skills, feats, (Sp), (Su)... But what's about the (Ex) and natural abilities?
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2014-08-28 at 10:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q63

Does Psudeonatural and Paragon have a listed level adjustment in the Epic Level Handbook or it's Errata? I've looked all over for it but it not part of the main entry.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Q 064

I want to create a Dwarven Paladin/Knight, who can freely multiclass between the two.

A.) Is there a feat that allows me to do this?

B.) Is there any way to make either Knight or Paladin a favored class for a Dwarf?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q 65

I don't understand how the feat Midnight Augmentation works. Do I need to spend my psionic focus on this feat in order to use it or can I use it if I spent my psionic focus on the power I am manifesting? I am not sure because other feats say "To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus", while this says "If you expend your psionic focus when manifesting that power".

21. - Top - End - #141

Q66: Can Animal Growth be Permanencied by RAW?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

A 63:

There is a level adjustment for those two templates, but it's very well-hidden. The sample creatures for those templates (a paragon mindflayer and a pseudonatural troll) both have listed ECLs. By subtracting away the normal ECL for a mindflayer and for a troll, we find that paragon is +11 and pseudonatural is +13.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 63:

There is a level adjustment for those two templates, but it's very well-hidden. The sample creatures for those templates (a paragon mindflayer and a pseudonatural troll) both have listed ECLs. By subtracting away the normal ECL for a mindflayer and for a troll, we find that paragon is +11 and pseudonatural is +13.
    Q 63 Follow-up

What page is this located on? The creatures I found have a challenge rating but not an effective character level.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

A 63 Contention

While you might be able to deduce the LA for these specific creatures that way, we do not know whether this same number applies to any other creature. LAs might vary from creature to creature.

A 64 Partial

a) I doubt it. Paladins have to be Lawful Good and Bards cannot be Lawful.

b) No. I know of no way to change any race's favored class.

A 66

No. Permanency has an exhaustive list of which spells can be permanencied. Animal Growth is not on that list.

25. - Top - End - #145

A 63 clarification
    The Epic Level Handbook is a 3.0 source book and thus does not have a concept of level adjustment, this is why none is mention, it did not exist at the time of publishing.

A 64 a) partial correction
    The question is about paladins and knights not bards, so alignment conflicts on the Law-Chaos axis are not present. I am not sure about any feat that would allow this however.

26. - Top - End - #146

BlueKnightGuy

Q67:
    There is a set of armor called Bond Leaf wrap that is as such.
    Bondleaf wraps are each crafted from a single enormous leaf found on magical trees. A bondleaf wrap is inactive until worn for 24 hours.
    During this time, it grows into the skin,drawing water and nutrients from its host. Afterward,as a standard action, you can command it to wrap around your body.
    Arms and equipment.
    Would spells like defoliate destroy it rather easily or not?
    Last edited by Platymus Pus; 2014-08-26 at 09:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Re 63:
    3.0 didn't use the term "level adjustment", but it did have the concept of ECL, as well as that a creature's ECL could be different from (usually greater than) its HD by some amount.

Re 64:
    Ironically, there is actually a feat that lets you multiclass freely between paladin and bard, Devoted Performer from Complete Adventurer. It also removes the alignment restriction from bard and lets the two classes stack for Smite Evil damage and Bardic Music uses.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #148

Q 68
    A. Can the quick-loading property from the Magic Item Compendium be applied to the firearms in the DMG on pages 145-146?

B. If so, what action would be required to load it?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 059 [correction] No.

The question asked for a spell or item of continual darkness, not continual Darkness. Darkness does not create darkness; it creates shadowy illumination. (A 3.5 spell which does create darkness is Blacklight (Spell Compendium, page 30).) However, all custom magic items are at the discretion of each individual DM, so an answer using the formula, even applied to a spell which creates darkness, is not RAW correct. The correct answer for any custom item is: ask your DM.

A 064

A.)
    Members of the Order of the Golden Lion (Champions of Valor, page 103) can multiclass freely between Paladin and one other class. No feat is required. You'd need to be a Paladin of Torm; membership in Order of the Golden Lion has duty requirements and also offers Paladin substitution levels (Champions of Valor, pages 43-44).

B.) A house rule might be your only option. There's an example house rule feat specific to this point: Additional Favored Class (Unearthed Arcana, page 100).

Re: Q 067

I'm unaware of any D&D spell called "Defoliate", so I think this question cannot be answered without clarification.

A 068 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Loading
    Property: Crossbow
    This weapon property is exclusive to crossbows.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-08-26 at 11:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platymus Pus View Post
    Q67:
    There is a set of armor called Bond Leaf wrap that is as such.
    Arms and equipment.
    Would spells like defoliate destroy it rather easily or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I'm unaware of any D&D spell called "Defoliate", so I think this question cannot be answered without clarification.

Seems there's a Defoliate spell in Pathfinder. If this is the spell meant then be aware there is a separate thread for Pathfinder questions.