New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Q 101

Suppose character A is grappled, and character B is free. If they switch positions via Benign Transposition, is character B now grappled in A's place, or just occupying the square of the former?
    A 101

I might be wrong but isn't "grappled" a condition. Like prone or stunned.
    BT changes positions not conditions so I'd have to say no, B is not grappled (yet)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Edit--"pinned" is listed as a condition In the SRD. silent on grappled though. I'd have to say that upon transporting, B would have to make an immediate grapple check to see if he's free or not.
    Last edited by bjoern; 2014-08-29 at 07:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 101 [correction]
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    I'd have to say that upon transporting, B would have to make an immediate grapple check to see if he's free or not.
    Grapple checks are always opposed, and take place on one of the creatures' turns; making a grapple check is always a voluntary choice by one of the grappling creatures. There is no RAW basis for "an immediate grapple check". Also, if the spellcaster transposes two other creatures, it's not the turn of either grappling creature; the game lacks a mechanism to make opposed checks when neither party has a turn.

"Grappled" is a state that requires prior grapple checks to create. The transposed character is merely squeezed into an occupied space; they are not involved in grappling.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 101

If a character is teleported out of a grapple, does he immediately cease to be grappled?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A87 - Contention - contention

The new spell is not added to the Sorc/Wiz Spell list, but to that specific character's Spell List. Pretty much the same way a Cleric with the Animal Domain can cast Calm Animals from a scroll with no UMD, but a cleric without it must use UMD.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 101 Yes.
    Step 4
    Maintain Grapple. To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space.
    If you cease to be in the same space as the other grappling creature(s), the grapple is no longer maintained.

6. - Top - End - #246

Q102

If a character starts out as a monk, then takes a level of druid and takes the Deadly Hunter ACF, do the two AC bonuses stack?
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 87

Quote Originally Posted by Skevvix View Post
    A87 - Contention - contention

The new spell is not added to the Sorc/Wiz Spell list, but to that specific character's Spell List. Pretty much the same way a Cleric with the Animal Domain can cast Calm Animals from a scroll with no UMD, but a cleric without it must use UMD.
    This doesn't work because while Domain spells may not be on the Cleric's list, they have a written exception for this in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Spells
    A cleric also gets one domain spell of each spell level he can cast, starting at 1st level. When a cleric prepares a spell in a domain spell slot, it must come from one of his two domains
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-30 at 12:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Q103

I could've sworn that there was a book in 3.5 that ruled that items with enhancement Bonuses to Stats and/or Resistance Bonuses to Saves cost the same regardless of what slot it was made for.

If such a thing exists, what is the book and page number of this?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 102 No.

Bonuses from the same named source (AC Bonus) do not stack.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 103

I'm pretty sure you are thinking about the rule from Magic Item Compendium that allows common enchantments (such as enhancement bonuses to ability scores and resistance bonuses to saving throws, among others) to be added to existing items without the 50% mark-up that a magic item with multiple magical upgrades usually costs. These things, however, still have preferred body slots that they need to go in.

See "Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items" on pages 233-234 of MIC.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 104: if creature A is grappling creature B, and creature C succeeds in grappling creature A, can creature A continue to grapple creature B while being grappled by creature C?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

Q105
    Regarding the 'silence' spell, this:

The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary unless cast on a mobile object.
    Does this mean you can cast this on a mobile object such as a rock or even better, arrows, and then have that object land amongst your enemies, stopping them from casting (verbal components) and communicating amongst each other?
    Last edited by Harlot; 2014-08-30 at 05:10 PM.
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 105

Indeed, and the creatures in the area don't get a save as well. Note that they can choose to just move away from the pebble, also that if the object you choose to affect is being attended by someone (say, their weapon) then the spell only works if they fail their saving throw

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

A 105 Addendum

The rock or any other thrown weapon is better than ammunition. Ammunition breaks on impact with its target. So the spell ceases to function because the conditions of the casting can no longer be met.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Q 106

Is there any way, other than Southern Magician, to create a divine scroll of a Wu-Jen only spell?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 107 Chameleons can't use abilities attained from aptitude focus and ability boon to qualify for various options. But could they qualify for spellcasting and caster level options since those are not abilities? As I understand it, the D&D glossary overrides English for definitions so your abilities would only include Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intellect, and Charisma rather than the English version of things you are able to do.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-08-30 at 07:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

A106 A Wu Jen/Archivist/Mystic Theurge (or similar) with Alternative Source Spell should also be able to do it. A 12th level Warlock should be also able to do it, as well as an artificer of any level.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 107 No.

"Ability" is an overloaded term in D&D. In addition to ability scores, there are also class abilities, as mentioned on page 23 of Player's Handbook:
    Special: Level-dependent class abilities, each explained in the Class Features section that follows.
    You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option.
    This Chameleon's restriction isn't limited to ability scores; it includes all D&D abilities, including named class abilities like Arcane Focus, Combat Focus, Divine Focus, and so on.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 108

The Marshal's Auras (Ex) ability has the following statement in its description:

"All bonuses granted by a marshal's auras are circumstance bonuses that do not stack with each other."

So if two Marshals are together, one projecting "Motivate Strength" and the other "Motivate Dexterity", do you only get the bonus to one of the auras? I think not, but I want to check.

Also, If one has "Motivate Strength", and the other "Art of War", does a character in range of both get both bonuses to something like a Trip attempt?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

A 108

Any stacking rule only comes into play if the bonuses apply to the same ability. A bonus to DEX and a bonus to STR always both apply since they do not modify the same ability. Only if both bonuses were to apply to DEX (for example) the stacking rules would come into play.

Motivate STR and Art of war both apply to a trip attempt for the reason above. One gives a bonus to STR checks and the other to trip attempts.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-08-30 at 11:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

EDIT: Answered perfectly by heavyfuel, below.
    Thanks!

@Q105, additional question:
    OK, I cast 'silence' on a rock and throw it into the melee.

Stupid a** question: Where do I find the rules for throwing stuff?
    (How far can I toss an object, how do I know I hit my mark (say, the center of the skirmish) If I am not trying to 'hit' an opponent.
    I can't seem to find the rules anywhere, and I KNOW this will be an issue.

Also: Can I have a caster do nothing but 'silencing rocks', and then have his allies tossing them at the opponents? I can't se why not, but may be missing something?

(I am thinking tuckers kobolds, yes. )
    Last edited by Harlot; 2014-08-31 at 03:26 PM.
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 105

A rock is an improvised weapon, therefore, it has a Range Increment of 10ft (so you can throw it up to 50ft) and a 5ft square has AC 5, so you need to hit that in order to have the rock fall there. As an improved weapon, you take -4 on your Attack Roll, and an additional -2 per range increment.

It's also ok to have the caster only silence the rocks while everyone else throws them.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-31 at 03:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 106

Can an Ice Storm be cast underwater? The spell description never states otherwise, unlike fog spells, but given the name, I wanted to make sure.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 106

Yes, Ice Storm can be cast underwater. However, the magical hailstones are ineffective, as are all other thrown or dropping weapon attacks.
    Ranged Attacks Underwater

Thrown weapons are ineffective underwater, even when launched from land. Attacks with other ranged weapons take a -2 penalty on attack rolls for every 5 feet of water they pass through, in addition to the normal penalties for range.
    Ice Storm's penalty to Listen checks remains.

25. - Top - End - #265

A106 Contention

Ice Storm is not a thrown weapon, it is a spell with an area of effect. It doesn't even have an attack roll. Giant hailstones may pound down for one full round, but it says nothing about what happens if they are slowed down or sink slowly.

It does exactly what the spell says: Giant hailstones pound down and deal 3d6 bludgeoning, 2d6 cold damage to everyone in the area.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 109
    When a spellcaster takes their 8 hours of 'restful calm' before preparing spells, they are restricted from any task that is 'physically demanding'. How far can a spellcaster move during this time under their own power? What about by ship, cart, or riding?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 110

I know that you can convert all spells into powers but is there a way to convert powers into spells?

Edit: Found it.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-08-31 at 06:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 106 Contention
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Ice Storm is not a thrown weapon, it is a spell with an area of effect. It doesn't even have an attack roll.
    The rules for spells state that Ice Storm is an attack. From page 171 of Player's Handbook:
    Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. For instance, invisibility is dispelled if you attack anyone or anything while under its effects. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents (such as disarm and bull rush) are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks.
    As a ranged attack spell, when cast underwater Ice Storm's effects are modified per the Ranged Attacks Underwater rules.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Re: Re: A 106

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 106 Contention
    The rules for spells state that Ice Storm is an attack. From page 171 of Player's Handbook: As a ranged attack spell, when cast underwater Ice Storm's effects are modified per the Ranged Attacks Underwater rules.
    Ok, but why did you consider them to be Thrown Weapons? By your clarification, it's pretty clear that it's an attack, but I don't see how it's a thrown weapon.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q111
    Can you make a Skull Talisman containing a Wish spell? Skull Talismans state that the spell must target a creature, and Wish's effects can target a creature but they also can not.