New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age 3 III: Where Is Your Maker Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    By ability scores, do you mean attributes? They're in the game. You just don't assign them as you level up; they grow automatically as you level up, buy talents and equip gear.
    Really? Excellent, this is the first good news I've heard about Inquisition in some time. Ability score assignment was a staggeringly pointless process.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remmirath View Post
    Ah, so that would be a major difference in play style, then. I prefer not to reload at all in any given playthrough, and I never reload to try different options unless the option I did try didn't work at all for the character.
    The best part is I was willing to do that even when the combat blew chunks. Now that it's essentially a tactical/ARPG hybrid, it's going to be as much fun as replaying ME2/ME3 were.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Really? Excellent, this is the first good news I've heard about Inquisition in some time. Ability score assignment was a staggeringly pointless process.
    +1000. I was so sick of the Dex/Cun Lethality debates or retraining stats once you found that one piece of gear that raised your {insert dump stat here} juuuuust high enough to equip {insert BiS item that depended on dump stat here.}
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

More Skyhold gameplay here.

I'd recommend skipping to 1:00 so that you don't have to put up with the guy with the incredibly annoying voice.

It would appear that you can change into civilian clothes while you're in Skyhold, so that's one of my predictions come true.

EDIT: Looks like Cole's been raiding the larder!
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2014-10-22 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

4. - Top - End - #814

You can change the bedsheets eh? That'll come in handy during my slutty elven mage playthrough.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    +1000. I was so sick of the Dex/Cun Lethality debates or retraining stats once you found that one piece of gear that raised your {insert dump stat here} juuuuust high enough to equip {insert BiS item that depended on dump stat here.}
    I just pumped whatever felt relevant, in both games.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #816

I did too - only to find that awesome bow I picked up needed more Str, or that awesome shield I wanted needed more Dex, or that I should have maxed out Coercion sooner because there was a difficult conversation check around the corner etc. It was really annoying and inorganic design born out of a misguided devotion to tabletop tropes or older CRPGs like Wizardry.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

I did too - only to find that awesome bow I picked up needed more Str, or that awesome shield I wanted needed more Dex, or that I should have maxed out Coercion sooner because there was a difficult conversation check around the corner etc. It was really annoying and inorganic design born out of a misguided devotion to tabletop tropes or older CRPGs like Wizardry.
    One thing I learned from all cRPGs. Always maximize the persuasion skills first.

That said, yeah, I'm fine with the loss of attributes. But then, I'm the kind of guy who would say "My Warden is smart, therefore I must put points in Intelligence and Cunning. Despite the fact he's a warrior."

That said, I am not exactly opposed to certain things being ability gated. So long as the core game is completely completable without it. If you want to have a part of the game you can only access with a certain skill I'd have no problem with it.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed. It's not like there was even any interesting, different ways to go about it, it was all very straightforward.

Are you a Warrior? Strength > Constitution > Will. Ignore everything else.
    Are you a Rogue? Dexterity > Cunning > Constitution & Will. Ignore everything else.
    Are you a Mage? Magic > Will > Constitution. Ignore everything else.

In DA:O, get cunning to 18 regardless of your class, for the Coercion skills. If you're a Rogue, get strength to 20 before the late-game so you can wear the best light armor. If you're a Blood Mage, consider favoring Constitution over Will. And in DA2 only the Blood Mage exception applies, since skills and strength requirements for armor were ditched.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #819

Indeed, every spec had one and only one stat assignment, and if you deviated from it you ended up gimp. It's not interesting and it undermines the whole point of letting the player assign points.

The game also did a very bad job of showing you the impact of your assignments. No sheet DPS to compare when you assigned points one way vs. another etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, every spec had one and only one stat assignment, and if you deviated from it you ended up gimp. It's not interesting and it undermines the whole point of letting the player assign points.

The game also did a very bad job of showing you the impact of your assignments. No sheet DPS to compare when you assigned points one way vs. another etc.
    DA2 did show you those numbers, actually. They even included percentages next to the attack, defense, and armor numbers, so you had some idea how good those numbers were for your level.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You can change the bedsheets eh? That'll come in handy during my slutty elven mage playthrough.
    Reading these two comments in succession made me spit out my drink.

You guys owe me a new keyboard.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

You don't really want to know what I've read instead of "drink" after reading those comments in rapid succession.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, Origins had an annoying way of presenting players with fiddly attribute requirements for skills and talents. DA2 did away with that, but at that point, there was really no reason not to let it run on automatic. In either case it was an illusion of choice.

As far as persuasion skills in general go, I'm not sure if they even have a place in RPGs where you only control a single character. Players are going to want them anyway, otherwise they lose a part of the plot, so they become an obligatory 'skill tax'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    You don't really want to know what I've read instead of "drink" after reading those comments in rapid succession.
    I regret nothing.

14. - Top - End - #824

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Some coincidences are simply beautiful. And result in new keyboards.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #825
    Dwarf in the Playground

They released the description of the ESRB rating . It ...contains some gems.
    A million thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar!

16. - Top - End - #826

Quote Originally Posted by Aolbain View Post
    That was one of the most lulzy regulatory synopses I've ever read.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As in promising? Funny? Stupid? "What were they smoking?"?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    As in promising? Funny? Stupid? "What were they smoking?"?
    A completely deadpan description of some pretty NSFW situations without any context.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A completely deadpan description of some pretty NSFW situations without any context.
    So we're going for the immature definition of Mature, I take it.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    So we're going for the immature definition of Mature, I take it.
    Depends. As I said, we don't have any context to the (two) lines quoted so it could range from "OK, that makes sense" to "Oh god what is this".

21. - Top - End - #831

From the quotes, the dialogue (at least in parts) has gotten a bit more "Game Of Thrones-y." Certainly I can't recall the t-word in either of the previous installments, or the f-word for that matter. (Actually, I don't think those words were in Mass Effect either.)

And yes, it is immature. Amusingly, gloriously so.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

From the quotes, the dialogue (at least in parts) has gotten a bit more "Game Of Thrones-y." Certainly I can't recall the t-word in either of the previous installments, or the f-word for that matter. (Actually, I don't think those words were in Mass Effect either.)

Well, if it's the traditional F-word, then it was used quite liberally by certain characters in Mass Effect 2, to the point that in ME3 Joker quips that Jack's swear jar would probably have enough to buy a new cruiser. ME3 was a lot less free with foul language, but I'm pretty sure it still popped up now and again.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-10-23 at 01:22 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

23. - Top - End - #833

Ah right, Jack did use it in ME2. And Aria come to think of it. (And Aria did say t**s as well.)

Never mind then, spotty memory.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

DA:O mostly stuck to fictional swearing, but Isabela and a few other characters dropped some pretty impressive streaks of blue in 2, including mode F.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-10-23 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

25. - Top - End - #835
    Barbarian in the Playground

The ESRB rating description was sounding more or less par for the course until it got to the quoted snippets... I'll just hope context will make them a bit less off-seeming. And yeah, DA:O had mostly fictional swearing, but DA II didn't. It doesn't bother me.

It was in DA II because the rest of the numbers and bonuses associated with combat were so large that the stats had relatively little effect, or at least that's how it felt. I don't consider it pointless in DA:O, though. There were several reasonably effective ways to build just about any class, and I prefer being able to vary that up to suit the character. Yes, there was probably one way to build each class that was technically the best, but since there were many different ways to make a powerful character, I don't think that matters.

I don't like that it seems the only way to change the ability scores will be through crafting. Having some items that add ability score bonuses is all well and good, but this just seems to make items an oddly integral part of a character.

26. - Top - End - #836

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    DA:O mostly stuck to fictional swearing, but Isabela and a few other characters dropped some pretty impressive streaks of blue in 2, including mode F.
    Really? I believe you, but I can only remember Isabela generally sticking with euphemisms and innuendo.

I don't like that it seems the only way to change the ability scores will be through crafting. Having some items that add ability score bonuses is all well and good, but this just seems to make items an oddly integral part of a character.
    It's an ARPG, they're all like that. Loot is the core engagement because loot is the main reason to keep delving.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

It's an ARPG, they're all like that. Loot is the core engagement because loot is the main reason to keep delving.
    Yeah, about that. It is, of course, absolutely the case, and indeed the one time when I indulge in consumerist behaviour (more is better! More! More! More!... It's quite therapeutic to get it out of the system), which is why I think I found DA2 so uninspiring even in its early stages. I had no chance of finding stuff for anyone but the main character, since everyone else had pre-defined, event-based armour and in some cases weapons. And anything I found for the main character had no choice to it. It was either better (larger DPS, which was given to me) or worse, or not applicable, so there was no joy in finding the new stuff and deciding if it was worth giving it a try.

[Disclaimer: I understand some prefer it that way - this is not a criticism of DA2, just something that irked me and subtracted from my personal enjoyment of it, like me not enjoying a sport minigame in a game because I don't like non-blood-bowl sports]

I understand this is not going to be the case in DA:I? Or is all the armour crafting and stuff going to be only for main character again?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #838

You can outfit your followers, so I imagine the crafting will play into that. And I'm sure there will be a few "found pieces" as well, e.g. a boss that drops a sword instead of just dropping some silverite and blueprints.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

It was in DA II because the rest of the numbers and bonuses associated with combat were so large that the stats had relatively little effect, or at least that's how it felt. I don't consider it pointless in DA:O, though. There were several reasonably effective ways to build just about any class, and I prefer being able to vary that up to suit the character. Yes, there was probably one way to build each class that was technically the best, but since there were many different ways to make a powerful character, I don't think that matters.
    The real way to customize your character was in spells/talents and specializations. The attributes are just a layer of pointless bean-counting on top of that. Like I said, an illusion of choice. You put points in what your class needed, and towards your talent requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I understand this is not going to be the case in DA:I?
    Unfortunately, yes. It looks like a truckload of mostly identical items is the order of the day once more.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yeah, about that. It is, of course, absolutely the case, and indeed the one time when I indulge in consumerist behaviour (more is better! More! More! More!... It's quite therapeutic to get it out of the system), which is why I think I found DA2 so uninspiring even in its early stages. I had no chance of finding stuff for anyone but the main character, since everyone else had pre-defined, event-based armour and in some cases weapons. And anything I found for the main character had no choice to it. It was either better (larger DPS, which was given to me) or worse, or not applicable, so there was no joy in finding the new stuff and deciding if it was worth giving it a try.

[Disclaimer: I understand some prefer it that way - this is not a criticism of DA2, just something that irked me and subtracted from my personal enjoyment of it, like me not enjoying a sport minigame in a game because I don't like non-blood-bowl sports]

I understand this is not going to be the case in DA:I? Or is all the armour crafting and stuff going to be only for main character again?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    To my understanding, you have full control over party gear once again, but the armor has customized variations based on who's wearing it. The same armor may be gold and black and showing a rather samurai theme on one person, but look like gold and silver knight's armor on someone else. A helmet may be a simple leather affair on one guy, but on Cole it might be a conical hat with a brim about a foot in diameter. So you get it both ways - the gear is your choice, but it always takes on a distinctive look for each character.

As for the ESRB thing, I have to say I have two reactions to it. First is to reconsider my preorder of the game, because that dialogue's a bit more direct than I find tasteful in a video game, though it's probably an outlier and I'm overreacting. Second is that I can certainly imagine Iron Bull saying either line based on what I've read about him.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.