New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age 3 III: Where Is Your Maker Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    *snip*
    If I read this thing right it sounds like focus would accumulate fairly quickly. I hope they put high focus costs on the focus abilities otherwise this game would be a cake walk...which is genius if that's one of the ways they scale difficulty.

Double sided daggers? Weird, but okay.

So we get to look at specializations before we take them again. Well I guess they got one more good thing from DA2.

Nothing really surprising, but it sounds like Dragon Age. Which is what I wanted so...good job I guess.

EDIT: Found some stuff on races.

So apparently the elf racial ability applies to every single ranged attack ever. That is considerably more powerful than I originally thought especially since Bioware explicitly stated this applies to magic attacks too.

Also there seem to be some people who interpreted the qunari ability to mean +50 hp per level up. If that's the case then qunari is looking a lot more appealing.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2014-08-21 at 06:49 PM.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Which was originally supposed to matter, as it tied into the dark energy ending, but no longer does since that was scrapped.
    The fact that they didn't use it for ME3's ending does not remove anything that was said from canon.

Again, not at all seeing how "exceptional individuals in each species are on par with each other" translates into "humans are better than everyone else." Seems to be a leap of logic there.
    But they're not "on par with each other." All of ours are on par with theirs, in their fields of specialty. There are no Salarian or Quarian biotic experts, just like there are no Asari or Krogan tech experts. But we have all bases covered. Hopefully that was clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The fact that they didn't use it for ME3's ending does not remove anything that was said from canon.
    No, just from relevance. Random biology trivia that has nothing to do with anything important.

But they're not "on par with each other." All of ours are on par with theirs, in their fields of specialty.
    Since when? Again, the only thing I can think of that at all matches this are unique individuals like Jack and Shepard, who are not at all representative of the species as a whole: the exceptions, not the rule. Other than that, there's no reason I've ever seen to believe that even a highly-trained N7 human biotic will necessarily measure up to an Asari Matriarch, or so forth for other races.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

I don't think we get enough information in the series to really do the comparison properly.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

-No equipment degradation, which has never featured in the DA games, but it's always good to hear. I honestly don't see how anyone thinks a mechanic like that was ever a good idea.
    It's really more for games like the Elder Scrolls or an MMO with a limitless money being generated to take currency out of circulation*. Or fallout where your gear breaking would make sense in the setting. Neither of which ever really fit Dragon Age. But I agree that is a game mechanic that does not bring a whole heck of a lot to the table.

*and Elder Scrolls dropped it in Skyrim.
    Last edited by Derthric; 2014-08-21 at 11:02 PM.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

IGN is running an extended gameplay demo from Gamescom right now if anyone's interested. Basically, it shows the beginning with the Inquisitor chatting with Harding (the dwarf scout that sounds suspiciously like Ali Hillis/Liara), and then the Inquisitor closing a Fade rift and setting up a camp in the Fallow Mire.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/08/15/...-gamescom-2014

Boy, rage demons are getting bigger and bigger.

I quite like the tarot card designs in the party selection screen.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-08-21 at 11:54 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

7. - Top - End - #37

No, just from relevance. Random biology trivia that has nothing to do with anything important.
    All canon is relevant until the writers remove it from that status. Even if its only purpose until they use it is internet debates.

Since when? Again, the only thing I can think of that at all matches this are unique individuals like Jack and Shepard, who are not at all representative of the species as a whole: the exceptions, not the rule. Other than that, there's no reason I've ever seen to believe that even a highly-trained N7 human biotic will necessarily measure up to an Asari Matriarch, or so forth for other races.
    Your logic is flawed - exceptional individuals are not representative by definition. Rather, it is their mere existence that proves the species' potential. But the fact remains that even the most exceptional salarian or quarians will be middling biotics at best, and even the most skilled krogan techs will barely amount to more than average in salarian or quarian company.

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I don't think we get enough information in the series to really do the comparison properly.
    We get it from authoritative voices - Mordin, who first points it out, or asari speaking to each other in Citadel (and clamoring for human biotic amps in a sidequest.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Oh, I'm sorry, guys. I shouldn't have posted that video here. I didn't realize this was the Mass Effect thread. My mistake.

@V: I'm sarcastically remarking on the ongoing ME debate.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-08-22 at 03:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm confused now. What do you mean it's the Mass Effect thread?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

All canon is relevant until the writers remove it from that status. Even if its only purpose until they use it is internet debates.
    I meant that it isn't relevant to this discussion. (See below.)

Your logic is flawed - exceptional individuals are not representative by definition.
    Which is the point here. You were arguing that Bioware would give humans the most powerful racial bonus in a game like Dragon Age because they place them above other races in some inherent fashion. But they don't, neither in Dragon Age nor Mass Effect. And you're pointing to exceptional individuals in Mass Effect as if they would justify that argument, but you wouldn't base a racial trait in a game on just that race's exceptional individuals.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

We get it from authoritative voices - Mordin, who first points it out, or asari speaking to each other in Citadel (and clamoring for human biotic amps in a sidequest.)
    We get a different conclusion from Mordin. Quotations gone unquoted mean zip. And asari buying human biotic amps may equally mean that humans are less shy about putting their best stuff on the market than the salarians, and more palatable to asari customers than quarians.

Is there a reason to go with "humans rule, aliens drool" over "humans are mutable, aliens are static"?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, I'm sorry, guys. I shouldn't have posted that video here. I didn't realize this was the Mass Effect thread. My mistake.

@V: I'm sarcastically remarking on the ongoing ME debate.
    That's alright Candle. It's actually a very common mistake. I made it when I clicked on the thread titled Dragon Age, and expected dragon age.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

13. - Top - End - #43

But they don't, neither in Dragon Age nor Mass Effect.
    Yes they do. My point was that in Mass Effect, humanity has the best biotics/techs/soldiers, and in Dragon Age, they have the best fighters/mages/thieves. Even if it is only a few individuals, the fact remains there is no racial limitation holding them back from greatness in any field. And a strong racial bonus represents that.

To actually become an exceptional individual takes talent of course, but they have a good base to build on.

Anyway, this is just one more thing I'll be proven right about once the game debuts.

Calm down, it's the same "wading through the swamp" video we saw before.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    EDIT: Found some stuff on races.

So apparently the elf racial ability applies to every single ranged attack ever. That is considerably more powerful than I originally thought especially since Bioware explicitly stated this applies to magic attacks too.

Also there seem to be some people who interpreted the qunari ability to mean +50 hp per level up. If that's the case then qunari is looking a lot more appealing.
    Unless they cut down the HP bloat, which is unlikely, having even more HP than everyone else isn't terribly appealing. If the human bonus means an actual spell/talent, it means that the humans get something actually good, while the non-humans get dull passive traits. If it means an attribute point (unlikely)... it means everyone gets a dull, sometimes-relevant passive trait.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah the problem with Bioware threads is that everyone has specific issues with specific games that tend to get brought up at every oppor

ALL THREADS SHALL BECOME ONE. MASS EFFECT IS THIS FORUM'S GENETIC DESTINY. HOPE IS IRRELEVANT.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Yeah the problem with Bioware threads is that everyone has specific issues with specific games that tend to get brought up at every oppor

ALL THREADS SHALL BECOME ONE. MASS EFFECT IS THIS FORUM'S GENETIC DESTINY. HOPE IS IRRELEVANT.
    I know you feel this
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, from what we've seen from the map already, it would appear that most of the action will be centered in Orlais and Ferelden, with the occasional trip to Nevarra and the Free Marches possible. It's doesn't look as though we'll get to see northern Thedas for a while yet, then.

Unless, of course, that comes up after a point in the game that Bioware doesn't want to show us, yet. Otherwise, hopefully we'll get to see Tevinter, the Anderfells, and Rivain in the next game.

The old link to that video wasn't particularly high quality on my end, so I didn't really get to examine it too closely. Now I can actually see some of the details and they're quite interesting. The Inquisition perks certainly look useful, especially the ones that open up new dialogue options. I suspect that might help make it feel like your character is growing along with the Inquisition. After all, if you have those resources available, I suppose it makes sense that you'd read up on a few things.
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2014-08-22 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

IGN is running an extended gameplay demo from Gamescom right now if anyone's interested. Basically, it shows the beginning with the Inquisitor chatting with Harding (the dwarf scout that sounds suspiciously like Ali Hillis/Liara), and then the Inquisitor closing a Fade rift and setting up a camp in the Fallow Mire.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/08/15/...-gamescom-2014

Boy, rage demons are getting bigger and bigger.

I quite like the tarot card designs in the party selection screen.
    "That's a Final Fantasy sized sword!"
    "Yeah we really slowed it down to feel weighty"
    *watches as the Inquisitor swings her blade down like a meat cleaver*

Sigh.

Other than that it looks pretty interesting. I like the map and they've got my curiosity on what is happening with the Fade.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    "That's a Final Fantasy sized sword!"
    "Yeah we really slowed it down to feel weighty"
    *watches as the Inquisitor swings her blade down like a meat cleaver*

Sigh.

Other than that it looks pretty interesting. I like the map and they've got my curiosity on what is happening with the Fade.
    I've got two wooden two-handers in my closet, if anything they're heavier than swords of equivalent size. What say we take them over there and show them just how "weighty" these things really are?

I like what I've seen so far and I'm liking what I'm seeing now, though I should probably go back on media blackout until either the game's released or the Keep is accessible, whichever comes first.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair to them, they didn't say it was for the sake of realism, but to feel the 'punch' behind the swings of this weapon. Which is still silly, but at least it's not a misapplied attempt at realism. And the combat doesn't look too bad otherwise. Enemies actually go down in a hit or two.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-08-22 at 10:55 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    To be fair to them, they didn't say it was for the sake of realism, but to feel the 'punch' behind the swings of this weapon. Which is still silly, but at least it's not a misapplied attempt at realism. And the combat doesn't look too bad otherwise. Enemies actually go down in a hit or two.
    I will never understand the rationality behind making something slower and look like you're having a hernia each time you swing it and that somehow makes it more fun and cooler.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I will never understand the rationality behind making something slower and look like you're having a hernia each time you swing it and that somehow makes it more fun and cooler.
    The same rational that turns a contest of speed and positioning into a struggle over strength and leverage. It looks more dramatic to certain parties, watching the blades lock and the two parties stare within inches of each others' face. After Star Wars descended, all sword fights are vaguely Kendo inspired kinetic affairs.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Bioware just posted one of those jokey videos with the voice actress for Vivienne, a lovely woman named Indira Varma. (Game of Thrones fans would recognize her as Ellaria Sand.) It gave me a few chuckles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G5qKxRzkGI

SHE'S SO BRITISH
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-08-22 at 12:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    The same rational that turns a contest of speed and positioning into a struggle over strength and leverage. It looks more dramatic to certain parties, watching the blades lock and the two parties stare within inches of each others' face. After Star Wars descended, all sword fights are vaguely Kendo inspired kinetic affairs.
    Yeah, except no. Turning medieval weaponry into big unwieldy chunks of metal is far older than Star Wars. That and there is nothing kendo about the animations shown in the clip. Also, strength and leverage are also pretty important in a sword fight, especially once armor gets involved.

Bioware just posted one of those jokey videos with the voice actress for Vivienne, a lovely woman named Indira Varma. (Game of Thrones fans would recognize her as Ellaria Sand.) It gave me a few chuckles.

SHE'S SO BRITISH
    Damn, I was just about to completely write her off as my mage when I find out she's Niobe from Rome. Ugh, now the whole party composition is in disarray again.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2014-08-22 at 12:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Love her voice. Man, between her and Traynor, DA is going to end up sounding like Fable.

Now we need her to narrate the fan response to Casey and Mac, snerk snerk.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

She was also in Torchwood as a minor character, so that's three alumni from that show who have voiced Dragon Age characters. (Eve Myles did Merrill, Gareth David-Lloyd is voicing Solas.)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Nor will I. I'm certainly not happy about it, and if I play Inquisition, I'll probably skip two-handed weapons and go for a melee dwarf rogue.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Yes they do. My point was that in Mass Effect, humanity has the best biotics/techs/soldiers, and in Dragon Age, they have the best fighters/mages/thieves. Even if it is only a few individuals,
    Just a few individuals does not justify such a sweeping statement - especially when those individuals are not clearly better than everyone else in their field. Jack's powerful, but we don't have any reason to believe that powerful Asari are just as strong: Samara is equally capable of passing the biotic barrier segment at the end of 2, for instance. And who could you even point to as humanity having the best techs or soldiers? And there's nothing to support that at all in Dragon Age.

the fact remains there is no racial limitation holding them back from greatness in any field. And a strong racial bonus represents that.
    No, a racial bonus represents something unique about the race. Hence Dwarves getting magic resistance, and Qunari getting health. (No idea where the Elven bonus against ranged attacks comes from; guess they just didn't have good ideas for them.) Humans we tend to treat as the generic baseline race in fantasy, so any bonuses they get tend to be generic - hence just a point in something here. Just like they get a feat in D&D.

Anyway, this is just one more thing I'll be proven right about once the game debuts.
    If "ability point" means attribute point and yet that somehow manages to be the most powerful racial bonus, sure. But only that would actually support your assertions here, and I can assure you I'm just as confident that won't happen as you seem to be in your conclusion.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

SHE'S SO BRITISH
    Wow. Yeah Vivienne is getting a slot in my party now, and forever.

The extreme britishness of her voice, the Waldorf and Statler banter, and if her writing is anything like that video...she may end up being my favorite follower.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

30. - Top - End - #60

If "ability point" means attribute point and yet that somehow manages to be the most powerful racial bonus, sure. But only that would actually support your assertions here, and I can assure you I'm just as confident that won't happen as you seem to be in your conclusion.
    Making it "talent" would also fit, since my assertion was "humans get the best overall racial because they are human." It's a common thread in RPGs, really.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy