New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age of Worms

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Age of Worms

It all begins in the lively mountain village of Diamond Lake, a muddy smudge on the map of the hills east of the fabulous Free City. Most of Diamond Lake’s inhabitants are miners and laborers, serious folk who spend most of their lives toiling below ground. When not working, the miners celebrate along the Vein, a seedy road lined with alehouses and brothels. Overall, the village is a sooty, sullen place prone to unpleasant bursts of violence and passion. But Diamond Lake holds plenty of opportunities for adventure, for the uplands on the lakeside opposite the village are rife with ancient tombs that for centuries have named them the Cairn Hills.

Idle chatter around the village says that a band of richly dressed adventurers now frequents the taproom of the Feral Dog, Diamond Lake’s most notorious tavern. The confident heroes of the Free City spoke of hard-won battles on their journey to Diamond Lake, and of their intention to explore the long-abandoned Stirgenest Cairn on the lake’s distant southeastern shore. Whether you are from Diamond Lake or just here for a day, you couldn#t have missed the talks about this supposedly so experienced party.

Not all in the village are happy about the situation. "It leads young people to do foolish things," the older people say. For the young people, of course, the foolish thing seems to be to sit inside and do nothing but listen to stories.

It is a nice warm evening, and it seems there will be stories to be heard in the Feral Dog again...
    Last edited by Grimtina; 2014-08-20 at 05:46 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    In the village where the heroes came from, with a kobold attack.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Worms

Duvix will have packed up his gear and left from the rather seedy inn where he spent the last two nights. He decides to head to the Feral Dog before looking into heading out of town. He normally is not too fond of bars, but he makes an exception when it comes with a good tale.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Fossil stood by Allustan's doorway watching the coming and going of the people of Diamond Lake. The people for the most part ignored him, the miners used to his presence now. A pair of rough looking burly men chatting about "adventurers" caught his ear.

He clunked down the steps, wood creaking under his weight as he followed them. Allustan's commands echoing in his thoughts if anything to do with adventurers happens observe and report back to me. The men head to the rougher end of town with Fossil on higher alert now, the last time he was at this end of town someone had thrown a large rock at him with a cry of monster. Strange he was not a monster Fossil mused to himself.

Watching the men enter the charming Feral Dog Fossil pauses on the threshold pulling the hood up on his long robes to try look a little more discrete, or as discrete as a 6ft animated adamantine construct can be...
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Snethel strode in lackadaisically to the Feral Dog, a tavern that should have caused more than a second thought...

He glances around, looking for the adventurers that he had heard tales of their adventure and their intents to explore Cairn Hills. He spots them and listens in attempting to discern their intentions and if they needed any assistance. The man spots a six foot construct lurking around and becomes interested. He strides over and strikes up a conversation, "Ey, iron fella, what are you doing here?"
    No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Visrial normally avoids the Feral Dog as much as possible. It is not a fitting place for holy men. Nonetheless, the rumors he has heard have aroused his interest enough that he has overcome his distaste out if curiosity.

Spotting the construct and other man striking up conversation, he heads over to them and waits to hear the "iron man's" reply before speaking himself.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kegana stared motionlessly at the green meadow stretching between the main road and Menhirs at the edge of Diamond Lake. The buzzing, chirping sounds of the ever busy insect families and birds living nearby soothed her mind as usual, but something in the back of her brain kept her from relaxing completely. Bastian's words from the day before continued to echo in her head.
    "Keep an eye on those adventurers", her mentor advised. "Last time we had a noisy bragging band like that around nearly the whole forest burned down."
    "I might take a look", she decided, slowly overcoming her after meal laziness. "It will even be exciting to hear those stories about distant lands..." She stood up slowly, waving at Tractor who trotted behind her after making sure no rabbits were in sight.

As the duo arrived at the Feral Dog the place seemed crowded with people which was unusual for a late afternoon. The table of the richly clad adventurers was surrounded by curious townsfolk, listening to the tales with awe and delight, and envy of course. Kegana didn't feel like joining them. She spotted a group of people in a corner, all surrounding a very unnatural mobile metal statue. One of the men seemed to address the strange construct. Kegana stepped closer to listen...
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Fossil turned to look at the man addressing him, eye sockets filled with blue incarnum energy. I am a being titled Fossil. I am here to see adventurers and report back their activities to my creator and assess whether its worthwhile that I be dispatched to the location they are exploring.

Fossil pauses, then almost like an afterthought asks What is your purpose here? Eyes widening his head shifts a little as he observes another man approaching and a young woman with a large dog. Fossil looks at the dog. Canine. Used for hunting, guard duties, farming and general companionship.

8. - Top - End - #8

Duvix has finally worked up the gumption to interject. He gets up from his place a few seats over and steps closer. "Fascinating, so close to life. Duvix Hyand. I'm just looking for a good tale." He indicates himself as he says his name. "Were you created like this or did you live in another skin prior to this one? May I?" He reaches out a hand as if to touch Fossil's face.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kegana

"Dogs used for farming?!", Kegana exclaims. "Are you sure your programmed dictionary is all up-to-date? Wouldn't herding be the correct term?" Curiously, she steps even closer. "Apart from Tractor here, obviously. He could help out on a farm as well, I'm sure." She pats Tractor briefly on the side of his neck. "In my book fossils are remains of long gone creatures, what's that for a title?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Eh, we're all a slave to some maka in some way or anotha," he replies, "I guess I'm ere like you are to see what dey been up ta."

As others approach, his curiosity gets the better of him. Others had approached and were poking at the construct, he might as well do the same! He beginnings to knock on parts on Fossil. "Ey, you figua ee hollow on is innads?" he asks to the newcomers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Fossil doesn't react as the strangers tap his chest and face. I do not know why Master designated me Fossil. Were did your designations come from? I am not hollow I am composed of metallic, wood and alchemical components.

Standing awkwardly he points to the adventurers in the crowd. Who are they, do they plan a quest?

12. - Top - End - #12

"You wish to know about my name? Well, Duvix is from a Draconic word, it does not translate perfectly, but it refers to balancing flexibility and planning. Hyand is my family name, its origins trace back to old Oeridian, where it likely developed from their words for sea-skinned." Realizing that he has gone on a bit, he looks a little embarrassed. "I heard that they intended to quest to the south, but I do not yet know the details."

13. - Top - End - #13

Visrial watches the conversation with very little interest from the time the construct first spoke.

"Indeed. It was my curiosity as to these adventurers that led me to come to this disgraceful tavern in the first place.

I am Visrial, by the way. I suggest, as we all seem interested in these adventurers, that we go ask them ourselves precisely who they are and what it is they intend to do while here."

14. - Top - End - #14

Kegana

"They're nothing but trouble," Kegana exclaims. "It's enough to move closer and listen, they don't seem to be too secretive about their doings..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, loud laughter originates from the central table the 3 of them are sitting at. "And then I went to help him up and told him to not hold his ass in my way if he doesn't want me kicking it," the dwarf in the group chuckles, and more laughter breaks out. "Anyhow, let us eat now, we will tell more stories later."

The crowd thins slowly, with most of them still chuckling. The dwarf leans back on his chair and waves for the tavern girls, stroking his beard. "Nice place here," his words drift over to you. "Let's hope we'll find some riches in the area others haven't cleaned out yet."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to eavesdrop on them, there are two free tables close to them, one was just vacated and the other seems to have been empty for a while
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kegana takes a seat at the closer empty table, calling for Tractor softly. The dog obediently moves next to her and proceeds to lie under the table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Listen is 18, or should I roll?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Fossil clunked forward slowly on adamantine legs towards the tables with the strange adventurers. Blue eyes glowing almost as brightly as a lantern in the dim pub. Standing beside Kegana he looks down at her - Are you close enough to overhear the conversation now? I could move the table closer, it does not look heavy."

18. - Top - End - #18

"Why don't you yell a bit louder in case they don't pay attention?" Kegana hisses. "Just stay where you are and pretend you're a statue or something."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Just before Fossil reaches the table, you hear the adventurer who is clearly the wizard - stern looking with red robes and a long black beard with silver pieces woven in just like a dwarf's - say to the only woman at their table "You know Tirra, for all that it's worth, the local probably have no idea what they missed when they went into the Stirgenest Cairn to begin with. There is no telling what riches are truly there until we go in!"

20. - Top - End - #20

Duvix follows Fossil, trying to seem inconspicuous and mainly failing. When the wizard speaks, he looks aside and pretends to be very interested in the offerings of the bar. He then eases his way into a seat at Kegana's table, but continues to look across the room.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Following the construct and the men who have surrounded him to their table, Snethel becomes bored with eavesdropping. "Why not jus go talk wit dem?"

Somewhat oblivious to the social pressures of the situation, the wilder grabs a chair and pulls it up next to the table of the loudmouthed adventurers. "Ey, my name's Snethel! An what sotta iches ya suspectin?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Fossil looks at the wilder and then the wizard. Speaking in his clanking voice he asks the wizard, What is the stirgenest Cairn?

23. - Top - End - #23

"What do you expect to find in Stirgenest Cairn?" Kegana asks in a loud voice without moving her chair.

24. - Top - End - #24

Visrial had moved to sit with the others in their attempt to overhear the adventurers. As they begin bombarding them with questions, however, he glowers at them.

"Don't let's ask them all at once now. Give them time to respond first." Otherwise, he thinks to himself, they will take unkindly to their probing...
    Last edited by Still_I_Rise; 2014-08-24 at 11:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The group of adventurers seems to be rather amused. "Well, it's a place we haven't checked out yet, and despite what some people around here might think, We're sure we can get a few things worth our while out of there," the dwarf chuckles. "Ain't too likely the locals would've known what to check for the first place."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone local and interested in schulary things will remember that the Stirgenest Cairn isn't only picked dry in every regard, it is also used as a love nest for young lovers, a dare for children and other harmless fun.

26. - Top - End - #26

"What is an adventurer's life like? I've always wondered how much the bards gild their tales. Can't all be slaying princesses and rescuing dragons, right?" Duvix seems to have missed his mistake as he looks at them appraisingly.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Parenly it's also lootin' kissin' pads..." he said with light mockery in his voice.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Yes but what exactly do you expect to find there? You must have heard stories to have traveled this far..." Kegana lets her voice trail off.

29. - Top - End - #29

Visrial shakes is head almost imperceptibly. The people he were with obviously did not understand what they were doing wrong. No matter, however. These adventurers seemed foolish and overconfident; with any luck, they would be cocky enough to reveal whatever interesting information they may have to even such crude questioning.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman in the group laughs. "Bard always make up extra, and sometimes get paid for it, too. Hell yes, everyone exaggerates their stories. It's part of the fun."

Their wizards grimaces. "Yes, well, when it comes down to it it is hard work, and a lot of people don't have the stomach for that. It's more than slaying things and taking their stuff, or just go exploring. There is a lot of planning involved, and research and..."

The dwarf cuts him off. "If it was for you, you'd always be planning and schemind and we'd not get outta the inn to get started," he laughs. "As for information, well, everyone talks about all the cairns here in this area, so we thought we'd try our luck - or rather use our skills - here before all is taken!"