New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Wondering about Wishes

The Efreet seems to be the go-to creature for Wish procurement/abuse; what I'm wondering is, why not the Noble Djinn? A Noble Djinn has equal HD to an Efreet, and can thus be summoned via the same means (Planar Binding springs to mind), and "can grant three wishes to any being (nongenies only) who captures it". They also have "Alignment: Always Chaotic Good", which means they're probably a lot more willing to fulfill the spirit of a wish they grant rather than finding loopholes or fulfilling the letter of the wish in treacherous, potentially fatal ways, as Efreet often do. Even if their wish-granting ability is meant to only work once for each individual who captures the Noble Djinn (i.e. no summoning it again for three more wishes), the Elemental Plane of Air is infinite in size and there is thus an infinite or at least arbitrarily large number of Noble Djinn in existence. Capturing a Noble Djinn (and thus qualifying for its wishes is as easy as casting Planar Binding with a properly-constructed magic circle and attached dimensional anchor. Is there some condition attached to either the Efreet's or the Noble Djinn's wishes that make the Efreet better for wish collection, or are they referred to as the primary cheap source for wishes because bargaining with evil outsiders is more fun?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: [3.5] Wondering about Wishes

So far as I can tell, Genie wishes are not up to interpretation of the genie and they are just using the magic to let the wish come to be, so the alignment wouldn't matter if so, since as summoned creatures, they are forced to do as you ask. The biggest reason I can think of for the preference though is that Noble Djinn have only a 1% chance to come into existence, and while anything can be summoned no matter how rare, it just feels strange calling lots of them to yourself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: [3.5] Wondering about Wishes

It seems plausible that you can't really call up a noble djinn. It's not so much a creature as it is some percentage of a different creature. Thus, instead of calling up a noble djinn, you'd have to call up a djinn a massive amount of times, waiting for one to be noble. It's not an absolute thing, the argument I'm claiming here, but it does make working with a noble djinn more ambiguous than working with an efreet, and that'd be reason enough for me to work with the efreet.