New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Totemist soulmelds level one

Question, totimest soulmelds at level one, are pretty much just stat boots right, now much you can do with them until you can bind at level 2?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Totemist soulmelds level one

Off-hand not much while they do have a lot of options for general stuff, their main schtick, becoming a blender of natural attacks, doesn't really come online until level 2 since there are very few soulmelds that give you natural weapon when unbound. AFAIK only the only soulmelds which give weapons unbound are the chaos roc span (whichi s from Dragon) and the Wyrm Claws (which need Dragonblood subtype) and they are a non-lethal wing buffet and claws respectively.

At level 1 I think your best option is picking up a longspear and/or crossbow and shape a wormtail belt as far a combat goes.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CyberThread View Post
    Question, totimest soulmelds at level one, are pretty much just stat boots right, now much you can do with them until you can bind at level 2?
    Dusk is correct that most Totemist soulmelds don't really come into their own until you can bind then to the Totem Chakra. Draconic Soulmelds are an exception, as noted. But even without chakra binds, they're not just skill boosts. Dread Carapace gives its bonus to natural weapons simply by shaping it. Totem Avatar's bonus HP can be very useful in a pinch. The AC bonus from Lammasu Mantle or Ankheg Breastplace is friendly, as are the low-light vision from Basilisk Mask and the Detect Magic from Disenchanter Mask. Winter Mask gives you a straight-up ability to fatigue an enemy, which is potentially useful. And let's not forget the Blink Shirt's sweet Dimension Door action.

So, yeah. They do stuff other than just give skill boosts. But you'll note that, for the most part, a lot of unbound soulmelds give skill boosts. It's kind of the default.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rageclaws are nice since they basically double your HP at level 1. Beyond that I would probably go with Wormtail belt, the best armor/spear/crossbow you can afford, and go to town on some rats or goblins or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Rageclaws are nice since they basically double your HP at level 1. Beyond that I would probably go with Wormtail belt, the best armor/spear/crossbow you can afford, and go to town on some rats or goblins or something.
    Ah yes, the first quest of first-level characters everywhere, no matter the universe: vermin extermination.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

If you have access to the shape soulmeld feat, Asteral Vambrances are worth it at low levels. They grant DR 2-4/magic at level 1, and later can be bound for 2 slams (non-totem) or flight (20ft average).