New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 5e Homebrew - The Artificer (of Alancia)

Quote Originally Posted by Negflar2099 View Post
    Looks really great. I created Alchemist and Gadgeteer classes too but they weren't working as well as I think this will work. I erred too much on the side of making them weaker never realizing how powerful some of the 5e classes are (I'm looking at you druid).

One question though. What level does an Artificer learn their first two discoveries? I know they learn 2 more at 10 and 17 but I wasn't sure when they learn their first two as it doesn't look like it's on the chart. I assumed it was 2nd level when they get their innovation points but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.
    I read it as they get the first two at 2nd level, and then another 2 at 10 and 17 as well.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hm.

If you were to make some feats that would synergize with this well, what would they be, DiBastet.

So far, I've got a Master Artisan feat, that doubles your crafting progress when using a specific artisan tool that you're proficient with, and a firearms expert feat that's similar to crossbow expert. I'd like to come up with more, just to have some options.

EDIT: Perhaps a feat that lets you analyze a magic item for a time, and then have the ability to make a formula from that time spent analyzing, for use in crafting a copy?

EDIT EDIT: Also, possibly one that allows you to better direct any helpers you might have, further increasing the progress you make each day in your crafting?
    Last edited by Inchoroi; 2014-12-13 at 01:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

First, I want to say that this class is AMAZING! I , just like Inchoroi, created my forum account just to congratulate you on this class and add my thoughts.

I think there might be a few spells from the wizard/cleric/druid list that might seem out of place for an invention to be able to accomplish. You might want to go through and slowly cross out a few spells at a time from the list that just don't make sense. You could also add a line to the spell list section reminding the player that the DM has final say on

I think you meant to have Discoveries start at 3rd level like the sorcerers metamagic, am I correct in assuming this? Most of the discoveries seem to be well balanced, but I might make a few changes. The medic discovery seems to really be edging into the cleric's territory. Maybe this Discovery should cost an Innovation point to use? Simple Science seems to be, in my opinion, overpowered. It allows you to have a buff active on each member of your party simultaneously, when the concentration rules would normally limit you to only having one buff active at a time. If everyone rolls high initiative, you could effectively cast fireball 4 times in the same round and wipe out the opposing party before they could spread out. you could also have the entire party witch-bolting their enemies for continuous extra damage per round. My suggestion would be to use Innovation point to install an extra simple switch that anyone could activate on each invention before you hand it off to another character. You could build your inventions normally and then invest the Innovation point just before handing the device to an ally. You will still be able to pull off these tactics, but they will require a little extra investment to balance them out.

The 6th level Elemental Ammo ability from the Gunsmith Vocation seems underpowered for an ability requiring you to spend an Innovation point. I would suggest increasing the duration if it costs an Innovation point. Maybe 1 minute per level, or 1 minute per intelligence modifier. Removing the loading feature from the Prototype Gun does not seem to matter unless you are multiclassed into another class that offers extra attacks. You might consider adding an extra attack feature at 6th level to this Vocation specific to firearms use and maybe call it "Double Tap." It might require an Innovation point like the Mechanical Fist ability from the Machinist.

The 14th level Construct Armor ability from the Machanist Vocation might benefit from adjusting the definite value of 5 to a value based on your intelligence modifier. It seems more similar to the rest of the game mechanics. Maybe up to intelligence modifier(minimum 1) Construct Armors at the same time.

If you want the try an fit the Gunsmith into a campaign world that doesn't have firearms available, you might consider it to be a magically powered crossbow that only a gunsmith has access to making and operating. The crossbow does not have the bow portion and the launching force is provided by magical energy. It could use full bolts, or just the tips for the ammunition.

All that being said, this is still a well constructed class. Thank you.

EDIT: you might also consider allowing the Gunsmith and the Machinist to incorporate their Gadgets into their guns and armor. It would be fun flavor to have Fire Bolt as an under-barrel option, or a Shocking Grasp bayonet or mecha hand. You might even be able to build gadgets into the gun and be able to turn a nob/crystal and select a cantrip you know. Fun flavor ideas.
    Last edited by Lord_Ardilla; 2015-01-31 at 01:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hello and thank you for your imput. I'm surprised people still even comment on this little work of mine!

First let me adress the issue about the spell list: I agree that there are some cleric and druid spells that are on the weird side of artificer, I really do. (I'll spoiler the next part since it boils down to a rant about my vision of spell lists)

Spoiler: "In my games" rant
    Show
    In my games these spells have the [Divine] tag, and are mostly spells that deal with the nature of the divine, like creating holy water, affecting people from different religions, talking to gods and the land, that kind of thing. Also in my games all spells are universal, and in short characters have access to all spells of a certain focus; so a fire mage, druid or cleric have access to the same spells; a healing mage, druid and cleric cast the very same spells too (except non-divine casters can't cast spells with the [Divine] tag).

As you can see in my games that's a non-issue; the artificer can't create divine spells and that's it. But since that works only for my games I can see the reason on your argument.

I think I may just add the following line to the spell list part: ", except the DM may forbid some Divine spells, like spells that deal with the nature of the Divine (see sidebar)". That way I make my personal suggestion but leave it open for the DM; some may like the idea of technology creating holy water (with silver nanites instead of dust!!!), some others may not.

-Now about healing, I really hate healing being a cleric's job; really, i really really hate that; but for those groups that prefer to keep spell lists as they are, that discovery allows two things: an efficient healing-focused artificer, and also the artificer being an acceptable replacement for a cleric. "hey, who's gonna play a cleric to heal?" "ugh, not me..." "dibs on arcane caster" "Ok, i'm an artificer, i'll get that healing discovery"

-Simple science: Other people can actually only use your beneficial inventions. But in any case I did some playtest and on the second game session found that the following line is needed ", but unlike you the invention requires their full concentration to keep active". With that line you can still buff each party member with a concentration spell, but if they're casters they need to choose between their spells or your invention; if they're not they still have to deal with disrupting. You see, your suggestion was the original idea for the ability: allowing any spell but with a innovation cost. However I scraped that in favor of only beneficial spells (healing syringes, power gloves, rollerskates) and no cost.

-Elemental Ammo being weak: That's something I was worried about. I still didn't have the chance to see the gunsmith spec in play in 5e (only had the chance with the 3.5 version) so I still can't tell if it's weak or just feels weak. That said I already had a fix for it if it turned to be too weak: Making it scale damage like a cantrip, adding +1d6 damage at levels 6, 11 and 17. I'll add that fix for now until I can playtest it better (oh and about the duration, the ability was loosely balanced on Divine Favor and the Smite spells; bonus action 1 minute spells)

-The reload part: Your point is perfectly valid, and in fact it's one the first questions my players asked: "why, if the artificer won't benefit?". Well, that's because of one fighter archtype; the Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is to the Gunsmith what the eldritch knight is to the wizard; he has 1/3 inventions he can only use as Special Ammo and the same Prototype Gun as the artificer.

-Construct armor: That... that makes perfectly sense actually. Consider it done.

-Edit: That's a great suggestion, and that's also exactly how you roleplay Armor Upgrades and Special Ammo! Maybe I could make it clear that you can make them off your cantrips too!

Thanks for the very well thought comments and suggestions!
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

People keep commenting on this because its awesome.

As a note, I've played the Artificer myself up to level 8, and didn't notice much in the way of damage lag, even if having Extra Attack makes me cackle with glee. Having them stack damage with level would just be awesome, since that makes more sense and lets me, in the future, have my shotgun artificer going.

Printing off a new copy with the changes!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Inchoroi View Post
    As a note, I've played the Artificer myself up to level 8
    Oh did you? I had the pleasure to see reports of the Machinist and Grenadier, so tell me, which spec did you choose?
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

I quite like this class, and though my needs for it differ a little from how it's currently designed, it's a very apt fit for the role I intend.

First, general input. I'm just a bit concerned about the power of having a full-caster with access to all 3 major spell pools who also has more HP than your average rogue/caster. A minor concern, but one worth noting. Also, a minor tweak for how inventions work; what if, instead of going inert after a day, they occupy the spell slot instead? Meaning you could keep the same inventions from day to day, but the spell slot won't refresh until you dismantle it. It doesn't change a whole lot, but it does present the option of cutting out a bit of the drudgery for things you know you'll be reusing the next day, and it presents the possibility of kitting out a party member who maybe has to separate from you for a while, if RP reasons call for it.

Last, and I think deserving of its own paragraph... When I think 'artificer' in D&D, I think of crafting. But now that crafting isn't an improvable skill, and is instead a much, much slower thing... Well, it presents in issue that I feel like a lot of people might want a 'fix' for. Rather than modify the system, why not resolve it with a class built around, well, building things? I see a few totally empty levels (besides slots) where incremental crafting boosts could be added. If you don't do something for it, I probably will when I get serious about using this class, but I'm putting the idea out there for others' benefit.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Default More Thoughts

DiBastet: I missed the "beneficial inventions" clause in Simple Science. it sounds good to me now

Elemental Ammo Update: I like what you did with it. It's damage lags behind the fire bolt cantrip and a fighter with a great sword. If you multiclass as a fighter or ranger, you can get an extra attack and deal more damage with a gun than a pure artificer, but still less than a pure fighter, so I would still call it balanced. You might want to add that it is considered magical for overcomming damage reduction? I have not read very much of the DMG or MM so I'm not sure if making it magical really effects anything. The additional +3d6 also make the 18th level vocation power useful, being able to deal 3d6+1d10 damage in a shape, mimicing some 1st/2nd level spells and being 1 step above the cantrips you could be casting. I would probably not use the +d6 version for the fighter archetype though.

Arracor: the cleric and rogue both get d8 hit points and the cleric is a full caster. The sorceror is also full caster with d6 hit points, and with the draconic heritage, their d6+1 hid dice average out to the same as a d8. The HP isn't anything to worry about. If wizards and sorcerers still had d4s and rogues had d6s, it might be imbalanced.

Part of the reason why the large casting list is balanced is because it requires a full minute to construct each invention. It would not affect that balance if you required the artificer to sacrifice 1 minute for each invention after a long rest before it could be used again. I would like to say that, for flavor's sake, having items remain constructed but not active feels better. The artificer could just spend 1 minute repowering the devices he wanted to and it would seem more logical and not effect any game balance.

The efficient crafter discovery allows for crafting at 5x normal speed, were you thinking of regular item crafting or magical item crafting?

New Discovery Ideas/feats :
    Exotic Invention: You may choose one spell from outside the normal artificer class list to add to your artificer design book. You may now create inventions based on this spell, but the notation is so bizzare that no other caster or artificer can understand this inventions plans.

Rechargable Invention: After you have used an invention, you may immediately spend an Innovation point and an invention slot of equal or higher level to the one used to create the original invention in order to make the invention functional again.

Improved Elemental ammo: When you activate the Elemental Ammo Feature of the Gunsmith or Gunslinger, your shots have an added effect that corresponds to the element you choose. Creatures immune to that type of energy are immune to the additional effects as well. Acid/Fire: The target(s) is covered in acid/fire. At the beginning of it's turn a creature covered in this fire/acid must make a dexterity save or take 1d6 points of acid damage. This effect lasts for 5 rounds or until the creature makes it's first successful save. Cold: The target(s) becomes stiff with near frostbite. It's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn. Electricity: The target(s) neural system becomes less functional and it is unable to take reactions until the beginning of your next turn. Thunder: The target is pummeled by thunder and must succeed at a strength check or be pushed 10 feet away from the shooter.

New Flavor ideas
    Multi-charge items: instead of crafting multiple instance of the same invention, you create a singe invention of the same type with multiple uses. You would still need to take 1 minute of construction time for each use. EX: instead of taking 2 minutes and creating 2 different magical tuning forks to create a "thunder wave" spell, you could spend 2 minutes and create a single magical tuning fork that could be struck twice. Same prep time, same balance, less wasted space.

9. - Top - End - #39

Ha, I completely overlooked that. Still, though that feels like a good starting point, it seems a bit underwhelming once you get to higher levels to still craft as slowly as you did as a wee laddie at level 1.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

there is also the simple machine discovery. it costs 1 hour and 500 gp to create the initial helper, but you can then have a helper crafting with you. if your character spent a years constantly using them, you could technically build an army of crafters. "your skill of tool proficiency" could also be extended to your Efficient Crafting, since you designed the machine and you are skilled and crafting efficiently. Loose interpretation there. with one mechanical helper of your own design, you could make a set of 1500 gp plate mail at 50 gp a day in 30 days! 2 helpers in 20 days. as you level you could conceivably create more and more crafting machines and continually increase your building speeds.

You might want to hire an apprentice artificer to run your workshop and make the minor repairs to keep your simple machines functioning for their initial year investment until they become permanent. You could then start a set of full plate armor with your simple machine and just have your apprentice keep making the 10 minute daily repairs. Leave for 2 months of adventuring and BAM! new set of full plate armor. This particular version of crafting assistance was possible in 3.5 with the appropriate homunculus, so I would say that it isn't against the flavor of the class or its old uses in other editions.

Another thing to remember is that Artificer's Knowledge allows you to become proficient in any tool after 1 minute and 1 innovation point, so you can make crafting helpers of any type without needing to spend a lifetime learning how to use every tool.

11. - Top - End - #41

Ok, let's take a look

Elemental Ammo: In fact, lord adilla, the Gunslinger doesn't get elemental ammo at all, he gets mostly gun tricks. I'll try to post it later.

Exotic Invention: That's one I would consider in my games but not to the general populace. The rule has precedent in form of Magical Secrets of the Bard, but people use it to choose exclusive paladin and ranger spells that were supposed to be balanced to a certain class level and get them earlier, and I frankly don't like that. However, that could be rephrased as "You may also choose spells from Bard and Warlock class lists to add to your artificer design book. You may now create inventions based on this spell, but the notation is so bizzare that no other caster or artificer can understand these invention plans. Inventions from these spells can't benefit from Simple Science." Seems like a great new discovery.

Rechargable Invention: Seems balanced. You're spending one very finite resource (discoveries know) to be able to "double tap" or "nova" a spell. I don't see many situations outside of "oh crap" moments in that this discovery would be a good; most of the time if things are running smoothly you either built the number of inventions you needed, are conserving resources or just spends one minute building another one. That discovery shines when neither is happening and things aren't as smooth as you wanted. I would change the name to fit this role, something like "Emergency Recharge", "Squeeze Juice" or something like that, but that's a good addition.

Flavor Idea: For handheld inventions I totally allow that, specially because I had the players that were really into the artificer flavor; one of them would always build 3 scorching rays back on 3.5, and his mounted cannon had three red lights showing how many charges were left. There was a time someone asked (in character) why wouldn't she build more uses for her cannon, and the awser was an amazing "How many lights do you see? Do you, sir, see space here for one more cannon?". Of course, that was all IC and flavor. Equipment inventions are another matter; another player wanted to have two of a same spell back in 3.5... i believe it was an Immediate Action defensive spell or something... he always said he felt safer with two of them, but since they qualified as Equipment and he had to wear them, he built them as both his main Barrier-Emitter Bracers and his Emergency Head-Mounted Barrier-Emitter Helm (or something like that).

Speaking of flavor, actually my players always roleplayed re-building the same invention, be it from an expended one or after a long rest, as actually maitaining or recharging the same invention instead of building from scratch the same one.

Finally, lord ardilla, the ammount of though you put into Simple Machine makes me chuckle. The original 3.5 version had a Complex Machine upgrade that allowed even for more crazyness (it could move, be proggramed for up to INT tasks and some other things; players created a poor man's kwalish apparatus with that), but since the feel of 5e is being simpler, some of the possible functions were worked into Simple Machine.

Trying to keep up with 5e's feel, I leave some interpretations open for the DM to judge. If he's not okay with the idea of the sole vaguely steampunk crafter being able to be the Ford of his time, then he won't allow you to stack efficient crafting on your simple machine; however if that idea makes him chuckle inside he'll not only allow that but probably allow you to spend resources to start with your micro factory already fully functional! Maybe the lords of the realm even comission "that crazy man with his machines" to build them their weapons and armor of war, maybe the other blacksmiths of the region hate your character, or maybe you win them with your charisma and turn them into factory hands!

The campaign I dm right now -a dark, gritty fantasy in a land of knights and backstabbing nobility- doesn't have space for such sillyness, but my main setting, a "generic high fantasy setting of my own" is a perfect place for that. in fact back in 3.5 one player did exactly this, but he was an alchemist instead of a blacksmith, and his auto-chemist would churn potions for the group daily. He even used shrink item on it everyday; he would bring it to full size in the morning, make repairs, get the finished batch, put some more raw materials in, make sure everything was ok and then use shrink item on it again. It was glorious.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    Oh did you? I had the pleasure to see reports of the Machinist and Grenadier, so tell me, which spec did you choose?
    Why, Gunsmith, of course.

I decided to dual wield pistols, myself; I considered going shotgun or rifle, but pistols just felt more fun. I also went pistols so I could do damage while focusing almost all my inventions on healing and buffing, since I was the designated healer. It was so much fun, still; in character, I freaked out the players by literally making spiders that sewed them shut to heal them, knowing that the players, with the exception of one, were very afraid of spiders (yes, I am a ****).

I am going to add the Exotic Invention; I know my wife's next artificer wants a gattling gun, and doesn't that just sound like Eldritch Blast to you? She and I have decided that we're both going to play Artificers at some point, probably for when I run Iron Gods in 5e, and name our characters after guns: Beretta Stampede and Ruger Vaquero. Ruger, my character, will be going full-on Caster Shells from the anime Outlaw Star. Not sure what she wants to do, but she mentioned something about a town that walks on spider-legs.

For the crafting thing, my artificer did turn out to be a bit of a craft-mule, but that was okay. I bought a couple custom feats (we use houserules that give a couple bonus feats to make the character feel more awesome) that I will repost here:

Master Artisan
    Through training and dedication, you have mastered the use of a type of artisan's tools. You pick one set of artisan's tools that you are proficient with. When using those tools to craft an item, you double the amount of progress you make each day, after all other modifiers. If you wish, you may purchase this feat multiple times, each purchase applying to a different artisan tool.

Cooperative Crafting
    You are adept at communicating and detailing your instructions to your assistants. When using artisan tools to craft an item, any creatures assisting you double the amount of progress that is made on the item being created by the group.

13. - Top - End - #43

That's the spirit of the class! Using your inventions in crazy ways. Sounds like you had a good ol' lot of fun! Keep it up!
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

14. - Top - End - #44

RogueGuy

I have yet to do more than skim over this, but from what I've seen, this is really cool.

Only comment so far: From what I can see, there is no limitation against taking the same Discovery multiple times. You may want to change that.

Again, nicely done.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I really love this class. Like seriously. Its really cool what you've done with it. It feels really open to whatever you need your caster to do, which is great.
    If possible though, could I get some clarifications regarding the Gunsmith vocation.

1)Can gadgets be used to create custom ammo for prototype guns?
    2)Can you have multiple Prototype Guns(Like a rifle and holdout pistol for example)
    3)Can you use custom ammo and elemental ammo in the same shot?

Thanks, and please do keep this kind of stuff coming.

16. - Top - End - #46

1 - actually you can
    2 - the intention is to allow as many as you can change. in fact this isn't gunsmith-dependent; you could even find a cache of prototype guns from an enemy gunsmith or something like that. imagine that!
    3 - no, they are incompatible, and i'll add that to the text. for all the fancy names Special Ammo is nothing more than casting a spell -albeit with a different range-, while special ammo is a carrier effect for a weapon attack.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was wondering. My wife wants her artificer to have a Gatling gun. How would you go about doing that?

18. - Top - End - #48

A modified version of NWN's greater missile storm would be great. That or a modified version of that barrage spell.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Just wanted to say that I am playing a Gunsmith right now and am really enjoying it. It's huge fun imagining how my PC will spin a magic spell into an invention. Will report back later on balance issues if they come up; only at level 3 right now.

20. - Top - End - #50

So I finally, finally got around to working on translating your Artificer to my world's lore. It took a solid few days, forced me to define 5e crafting rules for my games, and caused me many headaches in designing a very powerful restricted subclass. No small part of this project was scrawling though 5e's spell lists, marking out spells I could justify as nonmagical with the game's highest (mortal) tech level. If you'd like, I can upload these documents, and if not, your thread deserves the front page bump anyway!

21. - Top - End - #51

Returning to previous commenters after an extended leave, I would be honoredif you posted your subclass / version, so yeah, please do.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

22. - Top - End - #52

Returning to previous commenters after an extended leave, I would be honored if you posted your subclass / version, so yeah, please do.
    In that case, here is the version of Artificer that I'll be using in my games.

Spoiler: Artificer Base Class
    Show

Class Features

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per Artificer level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Artificer level after 1st

Proficiencies
    Armor: Light armor
    Weapons: Simple weapons.
    Tools: Two artisan’s tools of your choice
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
    Skills: Craft, Nature, and then choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Perception.

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
    • (a) any simple weapon
    • (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an explorer's pack
    • (a) a set of artisan’s tools
    • Leather armor and a dagger

(1st Level) Inventions: You can create devices of amazing technological complexity, called Inventions. The Artificer table shows how many Invention slots you have to create your Inventions of 1st level and higher. To build one of these Inventions, you must expend a slot of the Invention’s level or higher. You regain all expended Invention slots when you finish a long rest.

An Invention is keyed to the Artificer and immediately becomes inert if it leaves the Artificer's possession, reactivating as soon as it returns to their keeping; an Artificer cannot normally pass out their Inventions for allies to use (but see the “Simple Instructions” Discovery below). An Invention, once built, remains potent for 1 day before becoming inert, so an Artificer must rebuild or recharge their Inventions every day. Building an invention takes 1 minute of work, but the Artificer can build any Invention in their Design Book as long as they have an Invention slot of the appropriate level. Many Artificers build several Inventions at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it's not uncommon for an Artificer to keep some (or even all) of their daily Invention slots open so that they can build Inventions in the field as needed.

An Artificer’s Inventions are strictly scientific, and therefore are unaffected by anything that disrupts or negates magic. Every Artificer has a Design Book that determines what Inventions they can build. An Invention is activated with the Use Item action Any beneficial Invention that has a range of self or touch and a duration of more than 1 round must be made as a piece of Equipment that the Artificer must be wearing to activate. These Inventions may be made as bracers, gloves, shoulders, belts, boot, helmets or backpacks, are always cumbersome, and prevent the use of other items in the space they occupy. All others are some kind of handheld item that must be retrieved before use. Inventions require no concentration to keep, even if the effect has a duration of Concentration; however, the Artificer can only keep one of these Inventions active at a time.

Building Inventions consumes raw materials, but the cost of these materials is insignificant; comparable to the valueless material components of most spells. If an Invention has a costly material component, that component is expended during the activation of that particular Invention. An Artificer can build an Invention of any Design he knows. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an Artificer's Invention is 8 + proficiency + the Artificer's Intelligence modifier, and any attack is made with 1d20 + proficiency + the Artificer's Intelligence modifier.

An Artificer chooses their Designs from the Artificer Invention list. They record these Designs in a special tome called a Design Book. They must refer to this book whenever they build an Invention. An Artificer begins play with six 1st level Designs. At each new Artificer level, they gain two new Designs of any level that they can create. An Artificer can also add Designs to their Design Book, whether by learning them from another Artificer or by deciphering them from another Design Book. The cost of this transcription process is 50gp and 2 hours per level of the Design. An Artificer can attempt to study a Wizard's spellbook to learn any Design that is equivalent to a spell the spellbook contains; however, this requires 400gp and 8 hours per spell level, as well as a successful Nature (Int) skill check. The DC for this check equals 8 + twice the level of the spell, and is made before expending any costs. The assistance of the spellbook’s Wizard grants Advantage on this check.

(1st Level) Gadgets: At 1st level you know the Designs for 3 Gadgets of your choice. You learn the Design for one additional Gadget at levels 4 and 10. A Gadget is a 0-level Invention, and can be activated repeatedly. Wearable Gadgets never occupy significant space on the body of the user.

(1st Level) Initial Discoveries: The Artificer is always learning new techniques and improvements to their skills. You gain two of the following Discovery options of your choice at 1st level. You gain another two at 10th and 17th level. Some Discoveries require Innovation Points to be used.

• Biochemist: You can create and use Inventions that heal HP, or cure conditions/exhaustion/diseases/poisons, with a single action.
    • Calculator: With 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can build a special device full of buttons and levers that allow you to make all kinds of calculations. The device works as an abacus and compass, and also measures height, temperature and depth. As an action you can also try to calculate the DC of any task; make an appropriate skill check (using Int) with a DC of 15. If successful, the character measures the probability of success, while the GM tells the player the DC. The device works for 8 hours and then becomes inert.
    • Cliff Treader: With 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can build a special climbing harness for yourself; you gain a climbing speed equal your land speed, and you can free both hands. The device works for 8 hours and then becomes inert.
    • Diving Suit: With 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can build a special aquatic suit for yourself; you gain a swimming speed equal your land speed, and you can also hold your breath ten times longer. The device works for 8 hours and then becomes inert.
    • First Aid Techniques: If you or any friendly creatures who are under your care regain HP at the end of a short or long rest, each of these creatures regain extra HP equal to your Intelligence modifier.
    • Hair Trigger: When you activate an Invention targeting only yourself, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to activate it with a bonus action.
    • Maintenance Mastery: You can create highly modified versions of Inventions that heal HP; these modified Inventions only work on constructs and objects, and have no effect on living creatures.
    • Overcharge: When you activate an Invention that has a duration longer than 1 minute, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to double its duration, to a maximum of 24 hours.
    • Routine Invention: You can create Inventions with the Ritual tag as Routines. A Routine doesn’t cost an Invention slot, but the creation time becomes 30 minutes and you must spend 1 Innovation Point.
    • Simple Construct: With 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can create a mechanical device that executes one simple programmed action. This construct has the statistics of a Medium or smaller Animated Object, except that it can’t attack and it has one of your skill or tool proficiencies. The construct remains active for 10 minutes before critically malfunctioning. You can only program 1 command, something that an Unseen Servant could reasonably do. Alternatively you can build a sturdier construct with 1 hour of work and 500gp. The sturdier construct remains active for 24 hours, and you or any other Artificer can extend this duration each day by spending 10 minutes and 1 Innovation Point making minor repairs and modifications. After one year of continuous activation, the Simple Construct’s schematic has been perfected and it becomes permanent. A perfected schematic can be rebuilt with 1 hour of work and 500gp, and retains its permanency.
    • Simple Instructions: You can Design your Inventions with idiot-proof methods of activation, and other creatures can use your beneficial Inventions. Each creature can have only one Invention with a duration of Concentration active at the same time.

(2nd Level) Innovation: The Artificer has a font of creativity and insight that is represented by Innovation Points, which are used to active some of their abilities. You have an amount of Innovation Points equal your Artificer level. You regain all spent Innovation Points when you finish a long rest.

(2nd Level) Artificer’s Knowledge: If the Artificer studies a Tool for 1 minute and spends 1 Innovation Point, they become proficient in that Tool until they use this ability again or finish a long rest.
    (3rd Level) Efficient Crafter: At 3rd level, and every odd level after, your crafting ability improves far beyond your uninitiated peers. Initially, you can craft two times faster than normal. At each odd level, increase this multiplier by 1. This does not apply to Inventions, or any devices created for Discovery abilities.
    (10th Level) Build Smarter: …Not Harder. Through clever application of advanced techniques, you can now craft items at half the cost. This does not apply to Inventions, or any devices created for Discovery abilities.
    (20th Level) Eternal Invention: When you activate an Invention with a duration longer than 1 round, you can spend 1 Innovation Point and extend the duration to 24 hours or until you use this ability again.

Vocations

Alchemist

(3rd Level) Bonus Proficiency: Alchemist’s Kit

(3rd Level) Tonics: You can build beneficial Inventions with a range of self or touch as Tonics. Tonics are like potions and oils, and are used like normal Inventions. Additionally you can prepare a number of Inventions from your Design Book equal to your Intelligence modifier + your Artificer level (minimum 1), but only those that can be made as Tonics. You can build these prepared Tonics with a single action instead of 1 minute.

(6th Level) Mutagens: With 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can prepare a special injection that works only for a single creature. Choose a creature and a physical Ability Score; when the target creature drinks the Mutagen they receive the effects of the Enhance Ability spell, but also receive Disadvantage to tests of the linked Ability. The linked Abilities are STR-INT, DEX-WIS, CON-CHA. The effect lasts 1 hour per Artificer level.

(14th Level) Healing Factor: Creatures under the effect or your Mutagen receive the benefit of the Revivify spell exactly 5 rounds after their death. This ends the Mutagen for that creature.

(18th Level) Alchemical Transformation: With 8 hours of work and 1 Innovation Point you can permanently alter the body of a target creature present during the entire process, who must be either willing or Incapacitated. The target is transformed as in Alter Self or True Polymorph, but with a permanent effect. This ability can’t be used again until you finish a long rest.

Grenadier

(3rd Level) Bonus Proficiency: Demolitionist’s Tools
    (3rd Level) Bombs: You can build Inventions of offensive area spells as Bombs. Bombs are thrown weapons with a maximum range of 60ft; if you hit the target they receive Disadvantage on any related saves. Additionally, you can prepare a number of Inventions from your Design Book equal to your Intelligence modifier + your Artificer level (minimum 1), but only those that can be made as Bombs. You can build these prepared Bombs with a single action instead of 1 minute.
    (6th Level) Controlled Blast: By spending 1 Innovation Point when you use a Bomb, you can choose a number of creatures that you can see equal to your Proficiency bonus. The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the Bomb, and they take no damage on a successful save.
    (14th Level) Precise Explosions: You can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage of your Bombs.
    (18th Level) Dangerous Explosives: When you use a Bomb, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to cause +50% damage with that Bomb.

Machinist

(3rd Level) Bonus Proficiency: Engineering Tools, medium armor

(3rd Level) Mechanical Exosuit: With 8 hours of work you can modify an armor that you’re proficient with into an Exosuit. An Exosuit works like a normal suit of armor, but it weighs 50% more, always imposes Disadvantage on Stealth checks, prohibits the user from wearing Inventions, and only Artificers with the Machinist Vocation are proficient in their use. While wearing an Exosuit you receive an Exo-Slam attack (1d8+Int Bludgeoning). Additionally you can prepare a number of Inventions from your Design Book equal to your Intelligence modifier + your Artificer level (minimum 1), but only with a range of self or touch. These Inventions are Exosuit Mods, and you can use them without building them first, but can only target yourself with them.

(6th Level) Exosuit Expertise: You can use the two following abilities:

• Exo-Fist: Immediately after you take the Attack action or your turn, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to make one Exo-Slam attack as a bonus action.

• Thrusters: You can spend 1 Innovation point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your Jump distance is doubled until the start of your next turn.

(14th Level) Construct Armor: You can turn Exosuits into Construct Armors with 8 hours of work. A Construct Armor has one additional movement type equal to half your land speed, among climbing, flight, swimming and burrowing. Whenever you’re not wearing the armor, or become Incapacitated while wearing it, the Construct Armor acts as a Medium Animated Object with the additional movement type and the Exo-Slam attack. If left without orders the armor takes the Dodge action. If you’re rendered Incapacitated while inside the armor it takes the Dodge or Disengage action on your turn and tries to stay close to creatures designated as allies, or flees if alone. These creatures can remove you from the Construct Armor, but nothing else can without destroying it. You can have a number of Construct Armors active at once equal to your Intelligence modifier

(18th Level) Sealed Environment: Your Construct Armors are sealed from the outside. They provide constant air as well as immunity to gasses, pressure and asphyxiation. While inside your Construct Armor you also receive Darkvision and Advantage on saves against Poisoned, Blindness, and diseases.

Spoiler: Inventions List
    Show

(Notes: Several 'spells' have had changes added to make them consistent with the strictly nonmagical nature of Artificer Inventions. Spells that use AI are forbidden, as, much like the 40k or Mass Effect universes, AI are considered highly dangerous.)

And finally, there's a specific, faction-restricted, and very powerful subclass specifically for one of my campaigns.

Spoiler: Adeptus Manufactorum
    Show

(3rd level) Concentrated Effort: Manufactors are able to interact with technology in ways not fully understood even by other Artificers. Any Artificer Invention that would require the use of an AI can be controlled by the Manufactor’s will instead, so long as you maintain Concentration for the duration of the effect. The moment you lose Concentration, the effect ends. In addition, your mind has unique power not known anywhere else in the known universe. The following Inventions are available only to a Manufactor, and cannot be used by anyone but you:

(3rd level) Contraption Control: While most Kauvics require manual access to use the technological devices of their empire, the Manufactors are unique in their ability to remotely access and operate any device they have clearance for. You can try to activate any Kauvic device you can see within a radius of 30 x (Int+Proficiency) feet of you.

(3rd level) Imperial Engineer: The Manufactors create and repair the overwhelming majority of Kauvic technology. With 1 minute of work you can heal any construct or object for 2d8+Int, or spend an Innovation Point and do it as a full round action.

(6th level) Secrets of Golem Creation: While the Manufactorum is integral to the progress and maintenance of the Kauvic lifestyle, their most well-known capability is the construction of terrible engines of war, called Golems. The simplest of these Golems is the Flesh Golem, a construct that manipulates biological design and combines it with mechanical augmentation. Crafting a Flesh Golem requires a base cost of 19,000GP, and you cannot be aided by any but a Manufactor of equal or greater level.
    Additionally, you are uniquely able to control Golems. You can control a single Golem at a time. They may be given a single command; alternately, you can directly control them through Concentration. A Golem with no active commands and nobody controlling it falls under your control without contest. If the Golem is controlled by another creature, or has an active command from another creature, it must make an Intelligence save using the save of the controlling creature (DC 8+Int+Proficiency); on a failed save, it falls under your control instead. That creature is aware of your attempt regardless of the result.

Your Imperial Engineer ability now heals for 3d8+Int.

(14th level) Superior Science: Manufactors learn secrets of the workings of the universe that enable them to perform acts that other Artificers would deem impossible without magic; unfathomably, they truly are accomplished with neither Arcana or Divinity, but rather pure scientific application. The following Inventions are available only to a Manufactor, and cannot be used by anyone but you:

You can now sense any Kauvic device within range of your Contraption Control aura, the type of device, and whether you have clearance to use it. This perception can be blocked with a solid inch of lead completely surrounding the device. Any device you can sense, you can attempt to activate.
    Your Imperial Engineer ability now heals for 4d8+Int.
    You are now able to construct the Clay and Stone Golems. Crafting a Clay Golem requires a base cost of 38,000GP, and you cannot be aided by any but a Manufactor of equal or greater level. Crafting a Stone Golem requires a base cost of 57,000GP, and you cannot be aided by any but a Manufactor of equal or greater level. In addition, you can now control 3 Golems at once, and you may actively control any of them with a single Concentration.

(18th level) Mind of the Machine: Your Manufactor implant has fully and flawlessly integrated itself with your brain. You now possess the cold, calculating logic of a machine, granting you greatly increased processing capabilities. You gain +4 to Intelligence, and your new maximum Int score is 24. You can add half your Intelligence bonus to all ability checks. You no longer require sleep. You have Resistance against Psychic damage, Immunity to Paralyzed, Stunned, and Unconscious, and Advantage to saves against Charmed and Frightened.
    You can attempt to take control of any construct within your Contraption Control aura. The construct makes an Intelligence save (DC 8+Int+Proficiency); on a failed save, it falls under your control. A construct under the control of another creature instead uses the creature’s Intelligence save to resist, and that creature is aware of your attempt. You may control
    Your Imperial Engineer ability now heals for 5d8+Int.
    You are now able to construct the Iron Golem. Crafting an Iron Golem requires a base cost of 76,000GP, and you cannot be aided by any but a Manufactor of equal or greater level. In addition, you can now control 5 Golems at once, and you may actively control any of them with a single Concentration. You can now give them complex commands.

Also worth noting is that I use a specific set of crafting rules in my games, which is important given the additional class features I added.

Spoiler: Crafting Rules
    Show

To craft an item, make a Craft (appropriate ability modifier) check to initiate the crafting process. The DC depends on the complexity of the item. On a success, each day in which you spend at least an hour on the crafting project, you make progress equal to 5 x (Int+Proficiency) GP per day. This gold is expended each day in which progress is made. No further rolls are required to continue crafting the item at this default rate.
    To finish the item more quickly, a new roll can be made at +5 to the original DC to double the crafting rate. That rate can also be increased by devoting more time to the crafting; spending a long rest on the project doubles the rate, at the cost of forcing a Constitution save against a level of Exhaustion (DC 15).
    An item of great complexity might require a new Craft check each day, though failure only results in no further progress being made that day. If the material components are not in your possession but you could feasibly acquire them without excessive effort or time, the roll can be made at Disadvantage; on a success it is assumed you’ve found the materials you need. If the crafting requires any expensive material components, those components must be in your possession to make the roll, and they are expended on a success.
    Magical items cannot be crafted unless you have the Formula required to craft it. To craft a magical item, you must have a spell (or several) cast appropriate to the item’s effect(s) as part of the crafting process. Similarly, Contraptions cannot be built without the appropriate Blueprint, and they require the aid of an Artificer to craft.

♫ And that's aaaaallllll she wrote. ♫

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Arracor, do you not use Gunsmith?

I like those crafting rules--I'm going to prod my DM to see whether we can steal them. (Right now I'm trying to get a printing press off the ground. Calligraphy tools + simple machine.)

Finally, +4 to INT? Wowza.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by festivemanb View Post
    Arracor, do you not use Gunsmith?

I like those crafting rules--I'm going to prod my DM to see whether we can steal them. (Right now I'm trying to get a printing press off the ground. Calligraphy tools + simple machine.)

Finally, +4 to INT? Wowza.
    Quite simply, my setting doesn't use guns. :P As for the Manufactor's capstone, yeah. It's inspired mechanically by the Barbarian class, and the subclass is fully intended to be better than the others due to its greatly restricted access. (Only members of the Adeptus Manufactorum faction are able to learn the secrets of the subclass' abilities, and the Manufactors are strictly regulated/guarded by the empire they keep running. The lore drawbacks are a definite consideration in choosing the subclass over something less restrictive.)

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGirl

Glad I found this. I'm just getting my game off the ground (rotating DM, I'm first) and this more or less would perfectly fit into my game world. Thanks.

I'll see if I can swing this by my other players so I can be one when I'm up to play and not DM.
    How can someone define something that know nothing about.

26. - Top - End - #56

Ahhh, nothing like having an editor. Your wording is a lot better and less convoluted than mine (I take you're a native). I believe mine isn't bad, but yours is simpler and more fluid. I'll steal some parts of your text to update the original and I'll even include a paragraph with a spell list for those who scream "omg any spell op".
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2015-07-15 at 11:03 AM.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ahhh, nothing like having an editor. Your wording is a lot better and less convoluted than mine (I take you're a native). I believe mine isn't bad, but yours is simpler and more fluid. I'll steal some parts of your text to update the original and I'll even include a paragraph with a spell list for those who scream "omg any spell op".
    I was wondering; I've got a player that's playing one of these now, but she doesn't think that the 14th level ability for Gunsmith is really appropriate for the setting (its not, but I wasn't going to be bothered). Any suggestions to replace it?

EDIT: I thought of bumping Elemental Ammo to level 14, changing it to 1d6 at 14 and 2d6 at 17, and then giving a single extra attack at level 6, how Valor Bard. With the Elemental Ammo and Extra Attack it brings the damage fairly close to appropriate levels.
    Last edited by Inchoroi; 2015-07-15 at 12:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

I have one design idea: "if in doubt extra attack as bonus action". You could work something like "Rapid Fire: after a prototype gun attack as a bonus action you can make another" or something like that. 14th level ability comes really late, and is mostly a small bonus with some strong fluff. Adding your INT to damage is nice but ultimatly small; your armor acting by itself is neat, but really not that powerful; using revivify for free after 5 turns is cool, but you could otherwise have a revivify prepared anyway. The mounted gun is the same: it sounds really cool, but it's more cool than useful.

I would give something like that. Bonus action another attack, or maybe expand elemental ammo so you can also use radiant, necrotic and poison damage, something like that, something cool but not omgop
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

29. - Top - End - #59

Whoo! Author recognition. \o/ Glad I could be of service. (I actually had a lot more spells on the list, and ended up having to trim it because it had far too many per level. More spells than a Wizard, AND they're not affected by dispelling/antimagic? Yeahhhhhhhhhh no.)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Looks fantastic, this is SO steampunk.

There's already a wizard artificer, but this is clearly another thing.