New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VIII: It's Not An Event Without A Few Corpses

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Thread to come (regarding the strange Eastern prince)

EDIT: Thread's up! anyone's welcome to stop by, though I imagine Sam, Blade, and DarkDM might be most interested in the happenings.
    Just one thing there - when you talk about the caravan arriving from the west a couple of times in the OP... do you mean "east"?
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Just one thing there - when you talk about the caravan arriving from the west a couple of times in the OP... do you mean "east"?
    Maaayyybbeee.... I think I fixed it now

Must be my American showing, you've got a desert frontier so it must be the Wild West

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Maaayyybbeee.... I think I fixed it now

Must be my American showing, you've got a desert frontier so it must be the Wild West
    There's even a desert CALLED Frontier out there!
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

So the Holy Kingdom of Sycia seems like it's gone, inactive for 7 rounds and all that. I would imagine it would make the most sense for it to become a Glazfell vassal but I don't think there's any current rules for such things and I'm not sure, but I don't think Glazfell technically has a claim by the rules to go at it that way like Way did with Gunung. Iintuitively the fact that they adhere to the Sycia's religion quite strongly and make pilgrimages there and all that would speak of some amount of claimancy I think but as I said, I don't think the rules specifically call that out.

Perhaps though that is a way to make Faith (a bit of a maligned stat at the moment) have some more use allowing places who follow the same religion to have some manner of claim on one another.

Another idea for Faith might be establishing a Holy-Land, not sure what that would do but it seems like it might be an interesting mechanical path to go down.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

So the Holy Kingdom of Sycia seems like it's gone, inactive for 7 rounds and all that. I would imagine it would make the most sense for it to become a Glazfell vassal but I don't think there's any current rules for such things and I'm not sure, but I don't think Glazfell technically has a claim by the rules to go at it that way like Way did with Gunung. Iintuitively the fact that they adhere to the Sycia's religion quite strongly and make pilgrimages there and all that would speak of some amount of claimancy I think but as I said, I don't think the rules specifically call that out.

Perhaps though that is a way to make Faith (a bit of a maligned stat at the moment) have some more use allowing places who follow the same religion to have some manner of claim on one another.

Another idea for Faith might be establishing a Holy-Land, not sure what that would do but it seems like it might be an interesting mechanical path to go down.
    Oooooh. That would pretty legit right there. I rather like the Holy-Land idea... perhaps it's a place that can have militia from other regions defend it? That seems to mechanically represent the idea well.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooooh. That would pretty legit right there. I rather like the Holy-Land idea... perhaps it's a place that can have militia from other regions defend it? That seems to mechanically represent the idea well.
    Wouldn't Gunung then be the "Holy Land" for the Lord of Fire? What with the volcanos and such...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

I think (as I mentioned at the end of last round when Morph called for rules that needed a look) the issue of what to do with NPCs who have friendly ties but no "claimable" ones could do with a look and a little tweaking, as there's currently no real way to get them back in play except by conquering them, which is a bit OOC in a lot of cases. Sycia - Glazfell is a good example, but it could apply to pretty much any nonhuman population. I guess fabricated claims are the way to deal with that, but since they're open to anyone, it's really just a Diplomacy roll-off and Niskovia, say, would have as good a chance of claiming Sycia as Glazfell would.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

That's not bad, and works for the defensive form Faith has taken up, but I was thinking of even Faith becoming more of a world-wide stat allowing you to pull influence from other regions that follow a religion, either to pull soldiers for defense or simply grant bonuses equivalent to a certain number of regions following a religion.

Every 2 regions with a Majority of the religion granting a Holy Land a +1 defensive bonus, every region outside the Holy Land itself with the religion as sole a +1 every 3 or 4 regions with a Minority granting a +1, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Wouldn't Gunung then be the "Holy Land" for the Lord of Fire? What with the volcanos and such...
    I was imagining it would be a Faith special action to found a Holy Land, or perhaps whichever region founded the Faith would automatically be the Holy Land and it could be moved with a Special, and since the Lord of Fire is pretty much the Lord of Fire Calorum Reformation now I would imagine Calorum would become the Holy Land in said scenario but it would really be dependent on where a player wanted to place their Holy Land I suppose.

Also, on the possibility of converting similar religions over without having to start from the bottom I think simply keeping the TNs as if one were introducing or improving their religion to that point with an additional +2 and allowing it to "swap" places with the religion would work. For instance, Gunung is "Lord of Fire (Only)" I think a TN of 18 (the base resistance for turning a Majority into a Sole + 2) assuming no resistance would be a fair number for Calorum to have to hit to change that to "Lord of Fire C.R. (Only)" that way they don't have to work all the way through the steps of minority->majority->sole for a religion that's so similar. Of course, the same would apply back against Reformation if L.o.F was still making conversions. Then, if you don't hit the (in this instance) 18 you might still introduce a minority and next round you can go for a TN 16 to turn the Majority into C.R. and it would combine with the Minority and make it "Sole" meaning two turns to get to sole instead of three.

I think (as I mentioned at the end of last round when Morph called for rules that needed a look) the issue of what to do with NPCs who have friendly ties but no "claimable" ones could do with a look and a little tweaking, as there's currently no real way to get them back in play except by conquering them, which is a bit OOC in a lot of cases. Sycia - Glazfell is a good example, but it could apply to pretty much any nonhuman population. I guess fabricated claims are the way to deal with that, but since they're open to anyone, it's really just a Diplomacy roll-off and Niskovia, say, would have as good a chance of claiming Sycia as Glazfell would.
    Agreed, but making clear what a friendly tie constitutes can be a bit difficult. It seems obvious for some (Sycia/Glazfell) but it's unclear what exactly defines "freindly". Trade? Shared religion?
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-08-27 at 01:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed, but making clear what a friendly tie constitutes can be a bit difficult. It seems obvious for some (Sycia/Glazfell) but it's unclear what exactly defines "freindly". Trade? Shared religion?
    A way to do it might be to have a more complex system of TN calculation, as with colonisation, rather than a flat number which applies to everyone. For instance, set the default TN quite high and then apply the following as appropriate:

Ongoing trade: -1
    Multiple ongoing trades: -1
    Trading post established in region: -1
    Shared religion: -1
    Shared ancestral ties between peoples: -1
    Formal alliance: -2
    Marriage alliance: -2
    Claimant ruler descended from previous ruler: -2
    Have been at war with each other in the last n rounds: +2

Ideas and numbers off the top of my head, but you get the idea. Admittedly, that wouldn't much help to address NPCs who start the game then disappear without really forming any ties at all, but conquering them is usually - albeit not always - less controversial.

Also, on the possibility of converting similar religions over without having to start from the bottom I think simply keeping the TNs as if one were introducing or improving their religion to that point with an additional +2 and allowing it to "swap" places with the religion would work. For instance, Gunung is "Lord of Fire (Only)" I think a TN of 18 (the base resistance for turning a Majority into a Sole + 2) assuming no resistance would be a fair number for Calorum to have to hit to change that to "Lord of Fire C.R. (Only)" that way they don't have to work all the way through the steps of minority->majority->sole for a religion that's so similar. Of course, the same would apply back against Reformation if L.o.F was still making conversions. Then, if you don't hit the (in this instance) 18 you might still introduce a minority and next round you can go for a TN 16 to turn the Majority into C.R. and it would combine with the Minority and make it "Sole" meaning two turns to get to sole instead of three.
    That would seem to make sense, although of course (and without wishing to get into real-life religion here) divisions between denominations of the same religion can often be more acrimonious and enduring than between completely different religions...
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-27 at 01:27 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

A way to do it might be to have a more complex system of TN calculation, as with colonisation, rather than a flat number which applies to everyone. For instance, set the default TN quite high and then apply the following as appropriate:

Ongoing trade: -1
    Multiple ongoing trades: -1
    Trading post established in region: -1
    Shared religion: -1
    Shared ancestral ties between peoples: -1
    Formal alliance: -2
    Marriage alliance: -2
    Claimant ruler descended from previous ruler: -2
    Have been at war with each other in the last n rounds: +2

Ideas and numbers off the top of my head, but you get the idea. Admittedly, that wouldn't much help to address NPCs who start the game then disappear without really forming any ties at all, but conquering them is usually - albeit not always - less controversial.

That would seem to make sense, although of course (and without wishing to get into real-life religion here) divisions between denominations of the same religion can often be more acrimonious and enduring than between completely different religions...
    That would be good, but is more tracking and work. Of course, it might only need to be calculated when such a claim was going down though so that might still be doable.

You're right of course, but my basis is assuming that you're coming in to teach the common people the doctrine it's easier to say, "pretty much you've got everything right except this smidge here" and teach the next generation in your way then it is to come in and say "all wrong, here's the real truth of it all" Doctrinal divisions generally seem to arise between leaders of religions anyway, and if that's the case then the defender can actually roll and add their faith and their defensive bonuses rather than relying on a flat 10 +bonuses to resist it.

Spoiler: Religion Table Through Round 22
    Show
    Religions
    Updated to end of round 22

#
    Region Name
    Player
    Religions
    Rulers Religion
    P1 Mictlanpa Chacmon
    • Lord of Fire (only)
    Lord of Fire
    P2 Wenyavuk Reggiejam
    • Lord of Fire (as Irfrin, not organized) (majority)
    • Children of Kina (minority)
    Children of Kina
    P3 Krepida NPC
    • Doctrine of Frost (minority)
    Ancestors
    P8 Tletica Chacmon
    • Lord of Fire (Only)
    Lord of Fire
    01 Gunung Chacmon
    • Lord of Fire (only)
    Lord of Fire
    02-A Celero Logic
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Lord of Fire (minority)
    Radurja
    02-B Bereginia Logic
    • Ancestor (only)
    Ancestors
    03 Nyroth QuintonBeck
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Cult of the Sky (minority)
    Radurja
    04-A Kasumor WaylanderX
    • Ashmarism (majority)
    • The Great Eel Spirit (minority)
    Ashmarism
    04-B Shikurai WaylanderX
    • Ashmarism (majority)
    • Spirit Worship (minority)
    Ashmarism
    05-A The Heartwaste Reggiejam
    • Lord of Fire (Majority)
    • Children of Kina (Minority)
    Children of Kina
    05-B Eyrecradia Silverbit
    • Animism (only)
    Animism
    06 Woodwind QuintonBeck
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation (minority)
    • Animism (minority)
    Radurja
    07-A Calorum Chief
    • Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation (only)
    Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation
    07-B Gwrîstîn WaylanderX
    • Ashmarism (majority)
    • Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation (majority)
    Ashmarism
    08-A Aloren QuintonBeck
    • Radurja (only)
    Radurja
    08-B Tunneldom of K'braashriix zabbarot
    • Radurja (majority)
    Radurja
    09 Genivana zabbarot
    • Radurja (only)
    Radurja
    10 Hrathan-Tuor ImperatorV
    • Radurja (only)
    Radurja
    11-A Raaneka Zap Dynamic
    • Radurja (majority)
    Radurja
    11-B Ayava Zap Dynamic
    • Radurja (sole)
    Radurja
    12 Qarimos avr
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Animism (minority)
    Radurja
    13-A Lyradis TheWombatOfDoom
    • Radurja (majority)
    Lord of Fire
    13-B Razdis Silverbit
    • Mineral Animism (only)
    Mineral Animism
    14-A Guilder SamBurke
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Jaaku Na (minority)
    Radurja
    14-B Elbaraz Silverbit
    • Mineral Animism (majority)
    • Pagan gods of money (minority)
    Mineral Animism
    15-A Zargrim WaylanderX
    • The Great Eel Spirit (majority)
    • Lord of Fire(minority)
    • Ashmarism(minority)
    Ashmarism
    15-B Keldagrim Silver Ablaze
    • Ancestor (majority)
    • The Great Eel Spirit (minority)
    • Ashmarism (minority)
    • Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation (minority)
    Ashmarism
    16-A Pryonia Chief
    • Lord of Fire (only)
    Lord of Fire
    16-B Galie-Noiret Chief
    • Lord of Fire (only)
    Lord of Fire
    17-A Tekorva NPC
    • Spirits (Majority)
    • Ashamrism (Minority)
    Spirits
    17-B Yorukuni Reggiejam
    • Spirits (majority)
    Children of Kina
    18-A Sympolemou NPC
    • Ancestor (only)
    Ancestor
    18-B Aimplach NPC Unknown Ancestor
    19 Domhan Abhaile NPC
    • Council of Spirits (majority)
    • Spirit Shamanism (minority)
    Ancestor
    20-A Bordeux Lord_Burch
    • Animism (majority)
    • Lord of Fire (Nobility) (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    20-B
    21-A Sulvan Primarchy Silverbit
    • Paragons (minority)
    Mineral Animism
    21-B
    22 Ashenia Elemental
    • Animism (majority)
    • Jaaku Na (minority)
    Animism
    23 Crima Lord_Burch
    • Animism (only)
    Lord of Fire
    24 Tar lt_murgen
    • Children of Kina (majority)
    • Atur, Spirits (minority)
    Spirits
    25 The Jeweled Cities lt_murgen
    • Spirits (only)
    Spirits
    26 Shengdi NPC
    • Animism (majority)
    Hailings of the Silver Sea
    27 Scla´ca moossabi
    • Cult of the Sky (only)
    Cult of the Sky
    28 Hazaria Elemental
    • Animism, Atorna (only)
    Animism
    29 Alydaxis moossabi
    • Cult of the Sky (majority)
    • The Ancient Ones (ancestors) (minority)
    Cult of the Sky
    30 Grizzland ImperatorV
    • Radurja (majority)
    Radurja
    31 Grmanhil TheWombatOfDoom
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Honored Dead (fallen warriors) (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    32 Selrya TheWombatOfDoom
    • Radurja (majority)
    • Spirits (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    33 Bracia Rizban
    • Ascension (majority)
    • Hailings of the Silver Sea (minority)
    Ascension
    34 Bor-Teire Rizban
    • Ascension (majority)
    • Lord of Fire(C.R.)(minority)
    • Hailings of the Silver Sea(minority)
    35 Saltiere Rizban
    • Ascension (majority)
    • Hailing of the Silver Sea (minority)
    Ascension
    36 Aus-Teire Morph Bark
    • Hailings of the Silver Sea (only)
    37 Pontensulae Morph Bark
    38 Penoccident Morph Bark
    39 Propinlonge Logic
    • Pagan? (Majority)
    • Children of Kina (Minority)
    Radurja
    40 Solus moosabi
    • Animism (majority)
    Cult of the Sky
    41 Glirfrey moosabi
    • Strange Marsh
    Cult of the Sky
    42 Arix'La moosabi
    Cult of the Sky
    43 Angan Avale Elemental
    • Shamanism (minority)
    • Laiks Riqis(minority)
    Animism
    44 Kyaralath Elemental
    • Carasan (unorganized) (Majority)
    • Laiks Riqis(Minority)
    Animism
    45 Lacertian Elemental
    • Kelarthianism (majority)
    • Ancestor Worship (minority)
    Animism
    46 Intepeuh Chacmon
    -unknown-
    Lord of Fire
    47-A Niskovia Kitsanth
    • Circle Pagans (majority)
    • Laiks Riqis (Minority)
    Circle Pagan
    47-B Halja Rain Dragon
    • Laiks Riqis (only)
    Laiks Riqis
    48 Karintiya Kitsanth
    • Shamanism (sole)
    Circle Pagans
    49 Erlosse Lord_Burch
    -Unknown-
    Lord of Fire
    50 Sycia HisHolyAngel
    • Doctrine of Frost (only)
    Doctrine of Frost
    51 Felitora HisHolyAngel
    Doctrine of Frost
    52 Drugaud BladeofObliviom
    • Secret Teiflin Gods (majority)
    • Doctrine of Frost (minority)
    Doctrine of Frost
    53 Maos SamBurke
    • Golden Thunder (majority)
    • Prowress (minority)
    • Radurja (minority)
    Radurja
    54 Rannara SamBurke
    • Lord of Fire/Sun (majority)
    • Truemind "Razors" (minority)
    Radurja
    55 Sah'ra SamBurke
    • Fire/Nature (majority)
    • Radurja (minority)
    Radurja
    56 Skarval BladeofObliviom
    Doctrine of Frost
    57 The Frosskov Expanse BladeofObliviom
    Doctrine of Frost
    58 The Estglaz BladeofObliviom
    Doctrine of Frost
    59 The Glazfell BladeofObliviom
    Doctrine of Frost
    60 Borlmyn TheWombatOfDoom
    • The Ocean (majority)
    • Radurja (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    61 Requiem TheWombatOfDoom
    • Ascension (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    62 Jarrland Aedilred
    • Lord of Fire(C.R.)(only)
    Lord of Fire
    63 Discordia Morph Bark
    • Hailings of the Silver Sea (majority)
    • Ancestor (minority)
    64-A Vennland Aedilred
    • Pagan (majority)
    • Hailings of the Silver Sea (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    64-B Mularuhm ForzaFiori
    • Animistic Ancestor worship (only)
    Animistic Ancestor worship
    65 Campestrus Pratum Rizban
    • Ascension (minority)
    66 Wyrmar DurkBlanston
    • Ascension (minority)
    • Wyrm Below (minority)
    67 Palas Caercia DurkBlanston
    • Ancestors (minority)
    68 Pavonia ReaderAt2046
    • Runes (Unorganized) (sole)
    • Runes (Unorganized)
    68B Norogh ReaderAt2046
    • Animism (majority)
    • Runes (Unorganized) (minority)
    Runes (Unorganized)
    69 Farridon Aedilred
    • Halings of the Silver Sea (minority)
    Lord of Fire
    74 Kaspiyskiya Kitsanth
    • Animism (sole)
    Circle of Pagans
    76 Neo Scandza Rain Dragon
    • Pagan Star Worship (majority)
    Laiks Raqis
    77 Valeriya Kitsanth
    • Druidism (only)
    Circle Pagans
    - - - - -
    84 Frontier SamBurke
    • Unorganized Tent Revivals (Majority)
    • Radurja (Minority)
    Radurja
    85 Amocuallan TheDarkDM
    -Unknown-
    Tzetultep
    86 Tzalteclan TheDarkDM
    • Tzetultep/Dragon Cult (only)
    Tzetultep
    87 Elomaoli TheDarkDM
    • Tzetultep/Dragon Cult (minority)
    Tzetultep
    88 Niemidaland NPC
    • Ashmarism (minority)
    90 Galomyr Logic
    Radurja
    - - - - -
    93 Sterkelv DurkBlanston
    • Pagan (Sole)
    120 Isles of Tepetl Yarghenforgen
    -Unknown-
    Druidism
    121 Sanglea qazzquimby
    • Rism (Unorganized) (sole)
    Rism
    122 The Broken Enclave Yarghenforgen
    • Druidism (majority)
    Druidism
    130 Sea of Glass Logic
    -
    - - - - -

Organized Religions
    As stated under the rules, only organized religions can be used mechanically (such as miracles, holy orders and conversions). The following are organized religions:
    • Lord of Fire // Head of Religion: The Blazing Avatar
    • Ashmar // Head of Religion: Nyllana Earthguard
    • Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation // Head of Religion: The current High Priest(ess)
    • Radurja // Head of Religion: Shahidi Mkuu / Chuo wa Mashahidi (College of Witnesses)
    • Council of Spirits // Head of Religion: Naomh Fionn Sheenan
    • Cult of the Sky // Head of Religion: Current High Shaman
    • The Great Eel Spirit (see here) // Head of Religion: The Hovermaster Oberdrood
    • Doctrine of Frost // Head of Religion: High Priestess Fabula
    • Kelarthianism // Head of Religion: ???
    • Laiks Raqis // Head of Religion: ???
    • Children of Kina // Head of Religion: Eldest Child of Kina, Linden Flint
    • Tzetultep/The Dragon Cult // Head of Religion: The Teotlkan

Holy Orders
    • Knights of Hoarfrost - Doctrine of Frost - Glazfell
    • Council of Truth - Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation - Calorum
    • Quorum of the Sixteen Patriarchs - Ascension - Salteire
    • Taratibu wa Mwalimu - Radurja - Genivana
    • Taratibu wa Yrrmindel - Radurja - Aloren
    • Taratibu wa Lunakellai - Radurja - Hrathan-Tuor
    • Taratibu wa Wangaza - Radurja - Ayava
    • Ittou Gakusha (Blade Scholars) - Ashamar - Kasumor
    • Dragon Knights - Tzetultep/The Dragon Cult - Tzalteclan
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-08-27 at 05:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

How many "pagan" religions are there currently?
    Sry, for any delays; its not my intarnet... its probobly thr fact I spend several minuts spell checing miself.

also, trilobites are awesome, no questions asked.

Sorcerer in the playground, horror to bandits and wizards alike.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrcerousflux View Post
    If you mean unorganized meaning they can't spread and aren't technically religions, a bunch though not as many as there used to be. Things like "Ancestor, Animism, Spirits" and such are all separate pagan groups and that means even the Animism in Ashenia is different from the Animism in Bordeux. IC and fluff-wise they could be nearly identical but without a Faith 5 to form "Ashenian Animism" or what have you as an official religion they don't count as shared religions and even then "Ashenian Animism" would need to be spread to Bordeux to get them counting as sharing a religion.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Organised religions? That would probably depend on what you define as paganism in a fantasy world. Any region without a defined organised religion can be assumed to be pagan, though, and each region will have its own version (as Quinton says).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck
    You're right of course, but my basis is assuming that you're coming in to teach the common people the doctrine it's easier to say, "pretty much you've got everything right except this smidge here" and teach the next generation in your way then it is to come in and say "all wrong, here's the real truth of it all" Doctrinal divisions generally seem to arise between leaders of religions anyway, and if that's the case then the defender can actually roll and add their faith and their defensive bonuses rather than relying on a flat 10 +bonuses to resist it.
    Yeah, that's fair enough.

Incidentally, although no religion is currently recorded for them, there is a Hailings minority in Farridon (69A) and a tiny Ashmar minority (possibly not worth recording) in Niemidaland (88).
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eat4free View Post
    Spoiler: Cantroth (Awaiting Approval)
    Show
    Cantroth
    Region 113, Eat4free

Consul Avidiens

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy 5
    Military 1
    Faith 2
    Curiosity 1
    Luck 3

Population:

Terrain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cantroth is a varied region. The region is an extremely mountainous region, except for a flat, medium sized oval in the center, used for mining purposes. The incessant mining has slowly turned much of the oval into a black wasteland. In the center of the oval is the massive Ode to Ovidions, the sheep god. It is 3 miles tall and is basically an eight legged, three headed sheep statue made from pure osmium. From the most Northenly point of Cantroth all the way to the South runs the Ovidion River, a 1 mile wide river running all the way through the region said to have been carved by Ovidions himself. To the far east of the Statue of Ovidions lies the capital of Cantroth, Anvigarde. Anvigarde is a huge city, twice the size of all the small villages scattered throughout Cantroth combined. It was built as a reminder to the people of what could be done if they had faith in Ovidions.

People
    Spoiler
    Show
    The people of Cantroth are known as Homirums. They closely resemble satyrs, with the legs of a goat, and a body and a head of a human's with horns growing out of it. Many live in Anvigarde, but others choose the quiet life, living mainly near the Ovidion River for water or near the Ode to Ovidion in the wastelands. Nearly everyone obtains their food from the sheep, a revered and sacred animal to them. They may only eat it after many blessings and thanks to Ovidions. If a Homirum doesn't own any sheep, they are shunned or even banned from society or public places. From the years of living on the mountains, Homriums have grown into strong willed, daring people who are one with the outdoors. However, since the building of Avingarde, some people have started to prefer the controllable conditions of the indoors.

Resources
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main resource of Cantroth is the sheep. It is used as food, currency, and clothing by everyone in the region. From the wastelands, though, they have managed to obtain vast quantities of osmium and oil. Most of their large buildings or structures are made from osmium because of its durability and strength. The oil is used for fire and fuel for people's homes. The people do depend heavily on imports of wood, as trees as a hard to find due to the high altitudes of the mountains and the wastelands.

Religion
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main religion is Cantroth is Ovidianism. The people follow the readings of the Great Book, which tells them to, in short, treat others kindly and fairly unless provoked. They believe that Ovidions will always lead them to peace, victory, and glory if they follow and listen to him.

May I get this approved per chance?
    Dredging this back up, since A) he's been asking and B) it's been largely ignored/not been approved. Yes, it looks fine to me, though I certainly may have forgotten some requirements. The only real complaint (and it's not something that would keep you from playing) is that you're missing the preferred format (found here) and you're missing the technologies tab, which really shouldn't matter, since you possess none and that mostly tracked by QB nowadays.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for the info.

Also fluff is up on my first IC post hope its up to code.
    Sry, for any delays; its not my intarnet... its probobly thr fact I spend several minuts spell checing miself.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

So im dumb and failed to do two things when I made my ruler,

1. I didnt roll for luck (should really do that I guess)

2. and I didnt add +1 to the two attributes like I was meant too.

Guess I failed really hard then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Id add +1 to curiosity and diplomacy by the way.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Dredging this back up, since A) he's been asking and B) it's been largely ignored/not been approved. Yes, it looks fine to me, though I certainly may have forgotten some requirements. The only real complaint (and it's not something that would keep you from playing) is that you're missing the preferred format (found here) and you're missing the technologies tab, which really shouldn't matter, since you possess none and that mostly tracked by QB nowadays.
    I believe Morph is gone for a couple days, that said I would assume it's likely approved and Eat can go ahead and start with an action post and/or event attendance. If there are any issues I'm sure they'd be minor and could be looked at later.

So im dumb and failed to do two things when I made my ruler,

1. I didnt roll for luck (should really do that I guess)

2. and I didnt add +1 to the two attributes like I was meant too.

Guess I failed really hard then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Id add +1 to curiosity and diplomacy by the way.
    If you haven't gone ahead and added the +1s in for your attributes go ahead and do so. Heck, most of the time folks don't figure out where stat bonuses are going until they're posting up their ruler's stats in their action post. Speaking of, it'd be awesome if you could add a little spoiler to your Actions post for this round with your ruler's name, title, and assigned stats and a link to the rolls for said stats since that'll make it easier to add you into the leadership table at the end of the round/beginning of next.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-08-27 at 08:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe Morph is gone for a couple days, that said I would assume it's likely approved and Eat can go ahead and start with an action post and/or event attendance. If there are any issues I'm sure they'd be minor and could be looked at later.
    I do know that Morph has responded to a PM 4 sent to him, though I don't know what he said. I mainly posted my reply to him because there had been no one who had posted confirming that it was alright for okay, though I did tell him that it was fine when I read it before he posted.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Finished with actions (unless something pretty dramatic changes) and more fluff, ive also got original, and current stats (plus noted increases.

I also set up a trading post, no sure what resource to copy yet, but with that I hope to set up my first acts of diplomacy; woot.

Setting up a trading post isnt an act of aggression right? its name even implies co-operation. Hopping I didnt make a mistake, it would be so embarrassing.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Finished with actions (unless something pretty dramatic changes) and more fluff, ive also got original, and current stats (plus noted increases.

I also set up a trading post, no sure what resource to copy yet, but with that I hope to set up my first acts of diplomacy; woot.

Setting up a trading post isnt an act of aggression right? its name even implies co-operation. Hopping I didnt make a mistake, it would be so embarrassing.
    You should probably shift your Great Project work all into the beginning player actions since only those bonus actions can be used to work on the same project via multiple actions.

Also, you might want to specify that you're using a Curiosity 5 action for the coral.

And, well, no not technically it isn't aggressive but most people so far have worked out some sort of trade for allowing a trading post in their lands. That said, just going right ahead and building one could lead to some interesting interactions down the line.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

It's not overtly an aggressive act per se, but it's not not one either. In general, it's a good idea to get permission first: you may see quite a lot of actions going through at events with one party giving another one permission to set up a trading post, since it's fundamentally an unequal relationship unless they're also allowed to set up a trading post in your territory. Or they might have pre-existing informal relationships and/or promises that someone else can set up a trading post there.

It also depends on the resource. Setting up an unauthorised trading post on Shengdi for Goats is at worst probably going to net you a letter of disapproval and maybe a re-takeover of it if they're really annoyed. A trading post in Raaneka for Berundas would almost certainly start a war.

In this case I don't really mind, depending on what resource you want a post for.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-28 at 01:05 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's not overtly an aggressive act per se, but it's not not one either. In general, it's a good idea to get permission first: you may see quite a lot of actions going through at events with one party giving another one permission to set up a trading post, since it's fundamentally an unequal relationship unless they're also allowed to set up a trading post in your territory. Or they might have pre-existing informal relationships and/or promises that someone else can set up a trading post there.

It also depends on the resource. Setting up an unauthorised trading post on Shengdi for Goats is at worst probably going to net you a letter of disapproval and maybe a re-takeover of it if they're really annoyed. A trading post in Raaneka for Berundas would almost certainly start a war.

In this case I don't really mind, depending on what resource you want a post for.
    Well I needed a good way to make first contact and setting up a literal trading post were the nix trade with some people to get a small amount of resources. Ill work on comunication in the future.

Ill also edit my post (again) to make things cooler.

EDIT: Is timber cool with you Aedilred?
    Last edited by Sorrcerousflux; 2014-08-28 at 01:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Well I needed a good way to make first contact and setting up a literal trading post were the nix trade with some people to get a small amount of resources. Ill work on comunication in the future.

Ill also edit my post (again) to make things cooler.
    Note that trading posts aren't the only way to trade (unless all resources are saturated). Agreed bilateral trades are more common - in fact, necessarily so since you can only have two trading posts per region, and up to eighteen normal trades if resources are expanded to capacity.

Edit: Timber is indeed ok, although I'll need to get some more of that from somewhere soon enough, I think.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-28 at 01:16 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Note that trading posts aren't the only way to trade (unless all resources are saturated). Agreed bilateral trades are more common - in fact, necessarily so since you can only have two trading posts per region, and up to eighteen normal trades if resources are expanded to capacity.

Edit: Timber is indeed ok, although I'll need to get some more of that from somewhere soon enough, I think.
    Nobodies meet the Nix and they have no knowlage of global politics, thy are curious about the world and trading is one of the ways the intend to do that.

Also note that im just setting up interactions between the Nix and Jarrlanders so that the relationship can eventually grow.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe there is also a maximum of two trading posts per region. So setting up one in someone else's region limits their flexibility.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I believe there is also a maximum of two trading posts per region. So setting up one in someone else's region limits their flexibility.
    Yeah. It's considered inconvenient, so some people will dislike it.

That said, if you wanna trade trading posts (IE, I build one you build one) I'd be pretty open to that.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    We have a big problem. I've posted this in a couple of places before, but my civilization has an irrational terror of aquatic races, due to their legend's equivalent of demons being banished beneath the waves. If you'd surfaced way down north or far to the East or West, they might have missed you or just not been willing to send the army halfway across the world. As it is, though, you're right next door. They are going to hear about your existence, and unless something pretty serious happens to stop them, they are going to send their legions to wipe out your trading post and kill any of your people who show their face above water. I don't especially want to be the bully to the new player, and I really don't want to end up at war with the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea, but I don't really have any clue what could be done to avert such a war, short of your civ being in a different part of the world.
    An unwillingness to blithely charge into battle against an unknown enemy with unknown capabilities who live in an environment that's somewhat inhospitable to invading land troops? I know I wouldn't declare war on an underwater civilization without some way of producing useful underwater soldiers or at least to destroy things that are underwater with some efficacy.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

We have a big problem. I've posted this in a couple of places before, but my civilization has an irrational terror of aquatic races, due to their legend's equivalent of demons being banished beneath the waves. If you'd surfaced way down north or far to the East or West, they might have missed you or just not been willing to send the army halfway across the world. As it is, though, you're right next door. They are going to hear about your existence, and unless something pretty serious happens to stop them, they are going to send their legions to wipe out your trading post and kill any of your people who show their face above water. I don't especially want to be the bully to the new player, and I really don't want to end up at war with the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea, but I don't really have any clue what could be done to avert such a war, short of your civ being in a different part of the world.
    Guilder could step in and orchestrate something... It'd probably be better to let a peaceful nation deal with that. I suggest asking Celero or Serendel, as they're some of the most calm and diplomatic of those in the world.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, I have an idea. I've been considering for some time having the Faeren (basically the "gods" of Pavonian legend) return. They'd be the one group that could actually convince the Pavonians that these Nixdarum are not Formor. Hmm... I'll let that idea percolate for a bit. I still have a few days before I need to send armies.
    If those Faeren are actually Fae in nature I guess it is real convenient that there are some royal families with fae blood... Including the House of Li.

Also, 'ello again all. Have I ever made mention I hate school administration? Because I do. I always have to make literally dozens upon dozens of calls at the start of each year to ensure everything is in order, because even when I fill out everything right a lot of things go wrong.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    If those Faeren are actually Fae in nature I guess it is real convenient that there are some royal families with fae blood... Including the House of Li.

Also, 'ello again all. Have I ever made mention I hate school administration? Because I do. I always have to make literally dozens upon dozens of calls at the start of each year to ensure everything is in order, because even when I fill out everything right a lot of things go wrong.
    Your a princeable? oh dear

*proceeds to hide under desk*

Sorry bad memories

My answer to this whole "im going to immediately kill you after your first post because of my people old myths with no chance of deliberation" from ReaderAt2046 is,

Spoiler
    Show
    No... allow me to explain, while im sure you could defeat my poor fledgling nation in any military fashion I dont have to fight you, however if you try to fight me, you will find it difficult to not only really do any damage (not counting minor irritation) to me. You will however be invading another country, and I will happily assist said country in promptly routing you and counter attacking.

Words of wisdom: dont get into I fight with an empire you do not have any means of knowing of, fighting, or really have any reason. (from a story telling perspective) No offence
    Last edited by Sorrcerousflux; 2014-08-28 at 03:02 PM.