New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VIII: It's Not An Event Without A Few Corpses

As Sorrcerousflux says, I don't think the Nix are common knowledge as of yet. I suspect only the Broken Enclave (although Yargen hasn't been around for a while) and Jarrland have actually encountered them so far. Also worth noting that to get there from Pavonia your shortest route is through Carmine territory...
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I might have come across as a little rude there, if so im sorry. You cought me of guard with a random declaration of vendetta.

My reaction went something like this,
    Sry, for any delays; its not my intarnet... its probobly thr fact I spend several minuts spell checing miself.

also, trilobites are awesome, no questions asked.

Sorcerer in the playground, horror to bandits and wizards alike.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

On the subject of a war, I think it would be fair to give it at least a round, after all, Sorcerous' nation is just coming into contact slowly this round with the outside world. Pavonia might hear about it but I imagine they'd send some people to check on it before marching to war over it. Now, what happens next round is another matter, but I would say this round genocide would be a little preemptive. (Plus I really don't think you can even conquer them if you wanted to since they're underwater which is a super advantageous position for defense)

EDIT: Also, seriously, if anyone else wants to stop by the Grand Prince Montoyon thread with some one-off NPC or somesuch please do so, I'm having a lot of fun with this guy. I just had him kill someone with a giant gem!
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-08-28 at 03:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrcerousflux View Post
    Your a princeable? oh dear

*proceeds to hide under desk*

Sorry bad memories

My answer to this whole "im going to immediately kill you after your first post because of my people old myths with no chance of deliberation" from ReaderAt2046 is,

Spoiler
    Show
    No... allow me to explain, while im sure you could defeat my poor fledgling nation in any military fashion I dont have to fight you, however if you try to fight me, you will find it difficult to not only really do any damage (not counting minor irritation) to me. You will however be invading another country, and I will happily assist said country in promptly routing you and counter attacking.

Words of wisdom: dont get into I fight with an empire you do not have any means of knowing of, fighting, or really have any reason. (from a story telling perspective) No offence
    You could try contact my nation. It consists of Semi-aquatic fey. And as it stands, the Pavonians seem to hate them too.

Also, Reader, if your nation would attack such a underwater nation without any other provocation than racism, you might get Hurosha's army in your backside, due to the rather bad contacts we had/have.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-08-28 at 03:34 PM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    You could try contact my nation. It consists of Semi-aquatic fey. And as it stands, the Pavonians seem to hate them too
    Also, Reader, if your nation would attack such a underwater nation without any other provocation than racism, you might get Hurosha's army in your backside, due to the rather bad contacts we had/have.
    Im sure the Nix would be happy to make some more friends, especially friends that can relate to them.

How close are they to the Nix?
    Sry, for any delays; its not my intarnet... its probobly thr fact I spend several minuts spell checing miself.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Im sure the Nix would be happy to make some more friends, especially friends that can relate to them.

Hurosha is hilariously landlocked in the central northern continent. Their southernmost (and thus closest to you by the crow flies) region is region 4 so pretty far away.

EDIT: I'd like to note that personally as a player I take no offense to Reader's position on this as it is simply playing the IC game to the fullest and I totally support if that's what happens because it will be an interesting development. I also think it might be wise IC/OOC for nations to let Pavonia flounder with trying to attack the Nix and let that time failed doing that lead to possible peace talks and handshaking rather than coming down and crushing the Pavonian armies which will only raise resentment among their populace but hey, I'm of the opinion that not everyone has to get directly involved in every war.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-08-28 at 03:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pavonia wouldnt happen to have any enemies would it?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Pavonia wouldnt happen to have any enemies would it?
    The Priory possibly? They've served as mercenaries against them a couple times I think. And they've got not the best relations with Hurosha, but again, vast distance there (not that that's stopped people before) Possibly Mularuhm too I guess, they took a region from them before they were a player-nation but I'm not sure how much of a grudge if any Randoman holds towards them for that.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    The Priory possibly? They've served as mercenaries against them a couple times I think. And they've got not the best relations with Hurosha, but again, vast distance there (not that that's stopped people before) Possibly Mularuhm too I guess, they took a region from them before they were a player-nation but I'm not sure how much of a grudge if any Randoman holds towards them for that.
    Interesting.

Now on a more upbeat note, would anyone be willing gold with me? (now that I have some resources)

10. - Top - End - #220

Interesting.

Now on a more upbeat note, would anyone be willing gold with me? (now that I have some resources)
    I've got some gold; unfortunately, it's maxed out. If you would like to trade, I can cancel it this round, though you're probably going to get some better offers. Tzaltecan, in particular, has some gold available- I think, anyway- and is much closer geographically.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Even though what you put up is really a trading post, my Pavonians are going to see a diabolical plot to take over the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea, burn its towns, slaughter its men, and perform immoral acts upon its women. I should have made this clearer from the moment you applied to join, but it didn't really click until just now.
    To be fair, Martin Grant-Tremblor's been performing immoral acts upon our women for years, and we gave him a province for it. So that part of things might bother us less than you'd think.

Interesting.

As it happens, I believe both the Priory and Mularuhm have gold as a resource
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    To be fair, Martin Grant-Tremblor's been performing immoral acts upon our women for years, and we gave him a province for it. So that part of things might bother us less than you'd think.

As it happens, I believe both the Priory and Mularuhm have gold as a resource

Wait what?

How convenient. Ill have to do some research so I understand who they are, but yeah thanks.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry bad memories

My answer to this whole "im going to immediately kill you after your first post because of my people old myths with no chance of deliberation" from ReaderAt2046 is,

Spoiler
    Show
    No... allow me to explain, while im sure you could defeat my poor fledgling nation in any military fashion I dont have to fight you, however if you try to fight me, you will find it difficult to not only really do any damage (not counting minor irritation) to me. You will however be invading another country, and I will happily assist said country in promptly routing you and counter attacking.

Words of wisdom: dont get into I fight with an empire you do not have any means of knowing of, fighting, or really have any reason. (from a story telling perspective) No offence
    Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    You could try contact my nation. It consists of Semi-aquatic fey. And as it stands, the Pavonians seem to hate them too.

In addition to the Huroshans (WaylanderX's people) the nation of AQUA (lt murgen's people) and Celero/Bereginians (my people) are all mostly human with varying degrees of aquatic ancestry, the Celerese being the least, and the Quill (of AQUA) likely the most, while the Bereginians are basically a crossbreed of dwarves or gnomes with water Genasi (the players of EMPIRE! call them Berapi for obscure cultural reasons.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    In addition to the Huroshans (WaylanderX's people) the nation of AQUA (lt murgen's people) and Celero/Bereginians (my people) are all mostly human with varying degrees of aquatic ancestry, the Celerese being the least, and the Quill (of AQUA) likely the most, while the Bereginians are basically a crossbreed of dwarves or gnomes with water Genasi (the players of EMPIRE! call them Berapi for obscure cultural reasons.)
    Aren't there mer-people in Selyra? Or am I mistaken?

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry bad memories
    I got a pretty good chuckle out of this. Morph is a student. He was complaining about college not running a school. Though I can understand your mistake since there isn't a lot of context there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting.

I have four stacks of gold.

How much do you need?
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2014-08-28 at 06:17 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Wait what?
    It's a long story...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Only on the region - they're in Borlmyn - but there's nothing really in the way of further information on them.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

As Sorrcerousflux says, I don't think the Nix are common knowledge as of yet. I suspect only the Broken Enclave (although Yargen hasn't been around for a while) and Jarrland have actually encountered them so far. Also worth noting that to get there from Pavonia your shortest route is through Carmine territory...
    Depends on where explorers go, but it's reasonable to say that news of a new nation take a while.

On a side note, is there any time in history like this? IE, a nation just appears out of the blue every ten to twenty years? Not like a tribe, a NATION.

Not as close as Guilder. Speaking of Guilder, I've sent you a very interesting trade opportunity. Guilder is close and relatively stronger compared to Mulharum and Priory, as well as VERY interested with developing small nations.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Martin "I didn't know you counted those goats amongst your women... oh wait, nevermind. And that mammoth we rode to Tailong's hunting cabin? Just friends, I swear. Of course, that Menhirin misunderstood what I meant by boring a hole......"

Wait what?

How convenient. Ill have to do some research so I understand who they are, but yeah thanks.
    Actually, Martin Grant-Tremblor and his Islander kin might be an excellent intermediary. They can hold their breath for ten or more minutes and dive really deep.

AQUA has the premier shipbuilding academy in Telluris, so they have ships that could stay on site for a long time.

And, we could bring in some Pono al a Ono from the Sea of Glass. Of course, they might mistake the trilobbytes for yummy bivalves....

Either one side or the other could hire them as an intermediaty force.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-08-28 at 07:54 PM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on where explorers go, but it's reasonable to say that news of a new nation take a while.

On a side note, is there any time in history like this? IE, a nation just appears out of the blue every ten to twenty years? Not like a tribe, a NATION.
    "Nation" itself being a modern post-Westphalian, largely post-Napoleonic, concept, blah blah?

I think the answer, as so often, is yes and no. I don't think in the history of civilisation there has been a period where so much of the world has been so functionally lost in terms of contact. Once places are discovered they tend to stay discovered. Even in the ancient world and the Dark Ages early Mediaeval period, there wouldn't have been any contact between Gaul/Francia and Vietnam, but there was contact with Greeks who had contact with Persians who had contact with Indians who had contact with Tibetans who had contact with the Chinese who had contact with Vietnam, and so forth. There wouldn't have been such large blank spaces on everyone's maps, and although, say, the Dutch, in more modern history, might make first contact with a people in Africa, India or Japan, that would be first direct contact, and often their "discovery" would just be cutting out the middle men.

Exceptions of course would have been in the Americas, which other than early settlement later abandoned by the Vikings appear to have remained isolated until the 15th-16th century, some parts of sub-Saharan Africa, and Australia. However, few if any of the polities encountered by Eurasians in the Americas or Africa survived in a recognisable form for long afterwards: met with what the Culture would call an Outside Context Problem, they were ravaged by disease, conquered, or rapidly adapted to take account of the situation and quickly became unrecognisable (see the slave states of west Africa, for instance). Nevertheless the period from roughly 1450-1650 might map vaguely to the rate of exploration in Telluris at the moment, but because the explorers are at a slightly earlier phase of development and we're all playing nice OOC, they're not all being conquered or radically altered in the same way as they historically were. Well, some of them are, but not the ones that are defined as actual realms, rather than tribes - the difference between a PC/NPC and an "empty" region waiting to be colonised.

Alternatively, a more appropriate analogy, especially in terms of the intended time period for the start of the game, might be the end of the Dark Ages Migration Period, where you have people that have (or have not) been somewhere for a while planting their flag, getting themselves organised and calling themselves a proper kingdom (or whatever) for the first time where previously there was just a big blank space with "Scythians?!" written on it. Especially in northern and eastern Europe, there was a period around the 8th-10th century when Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, Rus', Georgia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and many more, were all basically established in what had previously been on the fringes of the (European) civilised world, and went on to become major players in European affairs. People had always known they - or at least some people or other - were there, they just previously hadn't been worth any significant attention. That's obviously in a much smaller space than Telluris, of course.
    Not as close as Guilder. Speaking of Guilder, I've sent you a very interesting trade opportunity. Guilder is close and relatively stronger compared to Mulharum and Priory, as well as VERY interested with developing small nations.

Mularuhm's not really any further away from the Nix than I am, if you take Asterith into account, which is Mularuhm territory to all intents and purposes.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-08-28 at 08:08 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke
    Mularuhm's not really any further away from the Nix than I am, if you take Asterith into account, which is Mularuhm territory to all intents and purposes.
    Or, hey, maybe you need a far western perspective on all this.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-08-28 at 08:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or, hey, maybe you need a far western perspective on all this.
    All those easterners are the same right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I believe when looking at a southern region, all you need to do is flip a coin. On heads - it belongs to the Salterri Imperium. On tails - it will SOON belong to the Imperium.

31 regions...sheesh.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsanth View Post
    All those easterners are the same right?
    Hey. Don't lump me in with the slavers... I've only made treaties with them.

EDIT: Besides that, I've done a lot in terms of helping new players, especially under Inigo. In fact, I lost Inigo in the act of helping Jeriah gain some traction over on their side. So no, I'm not the same. Empirically Denied.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-08-29 at 12:22 AM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Besides that, I've done a lot in terms of helping new players, especially under Inigo. In fact, I lost Inigo in the act of helping Jeriah gain some traction over on their side. So no, I'm not the same. Empirically Denied.
    Pseudo-IC: Yes, Guilder lost its Doge and 1,000 men in the prime of their lives fighting a foreign war on the other side of the world, say what you will about their domestic policy and care for their actual citizens, their foreign policy is assuredly assistance based

Sorry Sam, but if I can't get it out in the private meet and greet I gotta get it out somewhere

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Pseudo-IC: Yes, Guilder lost its Doge and 1,000 men in the prime of their lives fighting a foreign war on the other side of the world, say what you will about their domestic policy and care for their actual citizens, their foreign policy is assuredly assistance based

Sorry Sam, but if I can't get it out in the private meet and greet I gotta get it out somewhere
    It's all good man.

Domestic policy's pretty tame... other than excessive wars, I've been focusing on getting more food for my people, increasing their happiness with various techs and stuff... Dunno what they'd complain about.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, your heir/new ruler is also half Tzaltec.

Speaking of which, did Vizini inherit any Tzaltec features? Does he have the golden eyes?

*edit*
    So, Blade, in accordance with the Concordat both Guilder and Tzalteclan receive Refrigeration, correct?
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2014-08-29 at 03:21 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Well, your heir/new ruler is also half Tzaltec.

Speaking of which, did Vizini inherit any Tzaltec features? Does he have the golden eyes?

*edit*
    So, Blade, in accordance with the Concordat both Guilder and Tzalteclan receive Refrigeration, correct?
    Golden Eyes?

Golden Eyes are a thing?

Heck yes, then. He's got golden eyes.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Golden Eyes?

Golden Eyes are a thing?

I seem to remember another character with golden eyes. Tulipo, was it? Taleppo? Tubalow? Something like that...
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

That's Borlmyn, actually. They've got submersibles too, so it stands to reason that there could be a BUNCH of contact that way.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Golden Eyes?

Golden Eyes are a thing?

Here's his theme song.