New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default how much would an item of powerful build cost 3.5

So this is something my group has been wanting to figure out for a while. We couldn't find a pre-existing item that does it. We got into a discussion about whether or not it should cost as much as an item of continuous enlarge person. I think not, because the item doesnt give you reach. But a membet of my group thinks it should cost more cause you dobt suffer any of the penalties for being bigger.

Other relavent questions:
    How much would an item of slight buold cost?
    How much would an item cost if you could be treated 2 sizes larger?
    An item that had both large build and slight build?
    An item (cursed) that made you be cosidered to be a certain sized (fine?) all the time?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: how much would an item of powerful build cost 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by kulosle View Post
    We couldn't find a pre-existing item that does it.
    The Ring of Reduction in Lords of Madness costs 20K. That's one complete size reduction, continuous effect. Presumably, a Ring of Non-Reduction that increases your size would probably cost the same 20K.

There are two other items that allow you to change size easily: Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) gives you all-day polymorph up to 7HD, and Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD) gives you alter self at will.

And there's also the Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) that offer the "wield a larger-sized weapon" effect but not any of the other size-related bonuses.

So... Powerful build isn't quite the same as being large, but I don't really see how it's an advantage over the disadvantages of being large. I'd probably put the price at the midway point between Strongarm Bracers and the Ring of Reduction: 13K.

How much would an item of slight buold cost?
    I'm not really seeing much of an upside to slight build, but I guess it might be useful for larger creatures having trouble with narrow passages. I'm inclined to call it 13K, same for Powerful Build, but that seems high to me. 8-9K sounds about right.

How much would an item cost if you could be treated 2 sizes larger?
    That's really going to throw the power balance out of whack. I'd say 100-150K.

An item that had both large build and slight build?
    Uh... 9 + 13 = 22K?

An item (cursed) that made you be cosidered to be a certain sized (fine?) all the time?
    Well... there are some return to nature shenanigans you can pull with half-giants. On the right chassis, though, being fine-sized would be a huge advantage (I'm looking at you, Hengeyokai Sparrow Warlock). I'm not sure I'd try to price such an item... it would have to be deployed very carefully against certain PCs that might find it on the humorous side of inconvenient.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well large size gives you reach so I think just powerful build is worse than large size. I would value it at around 15-20k though. It is about worth a good feat (Jotunbrud).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueWizardGirl

Really, you think there should be such a large price gap from 1 size up to 2 sizes up?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Really, you think there should be such a large price gap from 1 size up to 2 sizes up?
    The cost of bonuses scale exponentially, and going from medium->large to medium->huge is double the bonuses.

That said, it's difficult for grapple/trip/etc. builds to compete with melee monsters at many points in the game due to the fact that monsters tend to have high natural strength scores, be huge or larger, or have some stupid racial ability that gives them +8 to grapple or lets them attempt a grapple after every attack. Based on that, I would give such an item a cap on maximum size(maybe huge), but not make it cost over 100k. After all, a level 7 psychic warrior could just manifest expansion and that doesn't make them OP.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2014-08-22 at 12:20 AM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd price it at around 9K, based on the aforementioned Strongarm Bracers and Fleshshifter Armour. PB is certainly better than just the Bracers, but it's definitely not as good as Alter Self at Will, so it should be considerably cheaper than that.

BTW, what player races are there that have Powerful Build, other than Goliath?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    BTW, what player races are there that have Powerful Build, other than Goliath?
    The Half-Giant also has Powerful Build, but doesn't get the Goliath exception for those Races of Stone feats for Large characters. Both of these are +1 LA races, and non-Humanoid so they don't qualify for the 1 racial HD Humanoid exchange for their first class level. So that's a 2 level-equivalent cost.

Getting Powerful Build other than by race also costs you 2 level-equivalent, and more: +2 LA and 1 feat, and still has drawbacks (reduction in either speed or DEX); see the Stonebone template (Dragon # 350, page 36).

Because we're talking at least 2 levels, an item which grants this ability, with no drawbacks, should cost about 120,000 gp.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

The "half giants as characters" overrules the standard rules for HD and class levels. A player who is a half giant has 1 LA and no RHD. It is worth 1 class level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    The "half giants as characters" overrules the standard rules for HD and class levels.
    Exactly how does it do that? There's nothing in that section (Expanded Psionics Handbook, pages 201-202) which says anything about hit dice.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Exactly how does it do that? There's nothing in that section (Expanded Psionics Handbook, pages 201-202) which says anything about hit dice.
    The "Half-Giants as Characters" section does not include a racial hit die line, unlike other creatures that have racial hit dice. Compare to Ogres as Characters:
    Ogres As Characters
    Ogre characters possess the following racial traits.

+10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
    Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
    Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
    An ogre’s base land speed is 40 feet.
    Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    Racial Hit Dice: An ogre begins with four levels of giant, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.
    Racial Skills: An ogre’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb, Listen, and Spot.
    Racial Feats: An ogre’s giant levels give it two feats.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An ogre is automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
    +5 natural armor bonus.
    Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Orc, Goblin, Terran.
    Favored Class: Barbarian.
    Level adjustment +2.
    Half-Giants As Characters
    Half-giant characters possess the following racial traits.

+2 Constitution, +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity.
    Medium size.
    Half-giant base land speed is 30 feet.
    Low-light vision.
    Naturally Psionic: Half-giants gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class.
    Fire Acclimated: Half-giants have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and effects.
    Powerful build (see above).
    Special Attacks (see above): Psi-like abilities.
    Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Language: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Ignan.
    Favored Class: Psychic warrior.
    Level adjustment: +1.
    No RHD entry.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Half-giant characters possess the following racial traits."

This line is then followed by a number of lines detailing exactly what half giant characters start with as racial traits. Giant HD are not one of those traits. This specific list overrules the general rule.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't know if this is an SRD goof or in the books as well, but even though the section is titled "humanoids and class levels" the word humanoids is never used again in that paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-08-22 at 12:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    "Half-giant characters possess the following racial traits."

This line is then followed by a number of lines detailing exactly what half giant characters start with as racial traits. Giant HD are not one of those traits. This specific list overrules the general rule.
    The lack of mention of a racial trait doesn't constitute a rule removing a type feature.
    Features

A giant has the following features.
    • 8-sided Hit Dice.
    Every creature of every type starts with some number of racial HD; lack of HD means you have no hit points and are an object rather than a creature. The Humanoid type includes a rule that if you have exactly 1 HD you must exchange it when you acquire your first class level. The Giant type has no such rule.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueWizardGirl

In the monster manual on page 293 it says "When adding class levels to a creature with 1 or less HD, you advance the creature like a character." My group always took this to mean you just dropped the hit die. Is this not the case?

Also both those races give plenty of other things besides Powerful Build. The question isn't how much for an item that makes you into a goliath, (all though that item cost way less than 200k.)
    Last edited by kulosle; 2014-08-22 at 05:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

In the monster manual on page 293 it says "When adding class levels to a creature with 1 or less HD, you advance the creature like a character." My group always took this to mean you just dropped the hit die. Is this not the case?
    We've been arguing about this for the better part of a decade. I don't think there's really any definitive answer other than, "Whatever works best for your game."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The lack of mention of a racial trait doesn't constitute a rule removing a type feature. Every creature of every type starts with some number of racial HD; lack of HD means you have no hit points and are an object rather than a creature. The Humanoid type includes a rule that if you have exactly 1 HD you must exchange it when you acquire your first class level. The Giant type has no such rule.
    But objects do have HP. Where's the rule that says "no HP = object"?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueWizardGirl

ah i see the confusion. On page 290 in a section called humanoids and class levels it says "Creatures with one or less HD replace their monster levels with class levels." This seems to mean all creatures, but the sections title is confusing. Well my group uses dropps it and that's all that matters as far as the question is concerned. I agree that the item should cost less than the alter self item. i'd be willing to pay 9k for a PB item.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Gloves of the Titan's Grip: 3/Day when you enter a grapple, automatically gain +8 to grapple for 7 rounds. 14k. 3/Day -> Use Activated brings price up to 23.3k. Bonus 8 -> 4 should divide price by 4 (bonus prices scale on square, so 16:64), so 5.8k for continuous +4/Grapple.
    Strongarm Bracers: Wield weapons 1 SC larger. 6k.
    Steadfast Boots: +4 defense vs. Bull Rush, Tripped, Overrun, plus extra benefits. 1.4k. Assume that the extra benefits are worth as much as getting +4 to offense with those same maneuvers.
    Brawler's Guantlets: +2 on unarmed damage rolls (and grapple), swift, 3/D for 1R. 1k. Converting to continuous (5/3, 20/18, 4) and assuming both effects constitute half of the price (1/2), +2 to unarmed is worth 3.7k. That's about the same as +1 size category in most applications.

So with my hackey MIC estimation, powerful build is worth under 17k. But honestly I wouldn't pay that for it. I consider strongarm bracers overpriced, and fixing that would fix my total.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    But objects do have HP. Where's the rule that says "no HP = object"?
    That's a parsing problem. When I wrote "lack of HD means you have no hit points and are an object", that's the equivalent of saying:
    • lack of HD means you are an object; and
    • lack of HD means you have no hit points.
    That's not the equivalent of saying "lack of HD means you have no hit points and consequently are an object".

20. - Top - End - #20

The lack of mention of a racial trait doesn't constitute a rule removing a type feature. Every creature of every type starts with some number of racial HD; lack of HD means you have no hit points and are an object rather than a creature. The Humanoid type includes a rule that if you have exactly 1 HD you must exchange it when you acquire your first class level. The Giant type has no such rule.
    That would be convincing if the sentence didn't appear elsewhere as a general rule, which is does, having been quoted twice in the thread already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    That would be convincing if the sentence didn't appear elsewhere as a general rule, which is does, having been quoted twice in the thread already.
    Oh, it's a general rule all right, but only for Humanoids. The rule appears in three places in Monster Manual:
    • Humanoids and Class Levels in Improving Monsters (page 290)
    • Humanoid section in Making Monsters (page 295)
    • Humanoid Type definition in Glossary (page 310)

22. - Top - End - #22

Oh, it's a general rule all right, but only for Humanoids. The rule appears in three places in Monster Manual:
    Yeah, and then it makes reference to creatures and monsters. It's poor placement, but 3.5 is known for that.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-08-23 at 01:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Note that in Improving Monsters, under Class Levels, it says that "intelligent creatures that are reasonably humanoid in shape most commonly advance by adding class levels", so it's pretty safe to assume that later they mean that sentence, not the humanoid type, because then the rules would say "humanoid" and not "creature" or "monster". They only use a humanoid as a simple example. Besides, it could say "Vanilla Ice" instead of "Humanoid and Class Levels" and it wouldn't make a difference, because a chapter/header name isn't rules.
    Last edited by The Insanity; 2014-08-23 at 03:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    ... so it's pretty safe to assume that later they mean that sentence, not the humanoid type ...
    No, it's pretty much not safe to make assumptions where D&D rules are concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity
    Besides, it could say "Vanilla Ice" instead of "Humanoid and Class Levels" and it wouldn't make a difference, because a chapter/header name isn't rules.
    You would first need to cite a rule which states this. (I don't know of any such rule, so it looks like your personal house rule rather than RAW.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

they don't qualify for the 1 racial HD Humanoid exchange for their first class level.
    The 1st HD for class exchange is not a humanoid-only thing. It is universal.

I mean, look at the examples for all the player-intended 1-HD races - some are humanoids, some outsiders, some fey, some plants, etc, and none of them retain their RHD.
    Last edited by Pan151; 2014-08-23 at 04:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pan151 View Post
    The 1st HD for class exchange is not a humanoid-only thing. It is universal.

I mean, look at the examples for all the player-intended 1-HD races - some are humanoids, some outsiders, some fey, some plants, etc, and none of them retain their RHD.
    No matter how numerous, those examples don't help your argument; they just constitute a disagreement between the written rule and the example creatures. The Primary Sources Errata Rule says that in the case of such disagreements, the primary source (actual rule) is correct. An example can't override the written rule; it takes an official errata file for that to change.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

No matter how numerous, those examples don't help your argument; they just constitute a disagreement between the written rule and the example creatures. The Primary Sources Errata Rule says that in the case of such disagreements, the primary source (actual rule) is correct. An example can't override the written rule; it takes an official errata file for that to change.
    There's no rule disagreement in the first place.

The RAW says that all creatures with 1 HD replace their RHD with a class level.
    The RAI implied by all example non-humanoid characters says that all creatures with 1 HD replace their RHD with a class level.

There is no rules disagreement. You are merely imagining one.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

There's no rule disagreement in the first place.

The RAW says that all creatures with 1 HD replace their RHD with a class level.
    The RAI implied by all example non-humanoid characters says that all creatures with 1 HD replace their RHD with a class level.

There is no rules disagreement. You are merely imagining one.
    The RAW says all creatures and monsters that are humanoids can exchange their first HD. Nowhere does it state this a general rule for all creatures. This rule only exists in relation to humanoids. Curmudgeon is correct.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    The RAW says all creatures and monsters that are humanoids can exchange their first HD. Nowhere does it state this a general rule for all creatures. This rule only exists in relation to humanoids. Curmudgeon is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.
    I see no mention of humanoid anywhere in the actual rule. The only place where "humanoid" is mentioned is in the header.

Thus, there are 2 distinct possibilities:

a) The rule applies only to humanoids, and the main body of the rule listed "creature" rather than "humanoid" by mistake.
    b) The rule applies to all creatures with class levels, and the header refers to "humanoids" by mistake.

When a rule is ambiguous, the obvious thing to do is see how the official source applies it.

And all official 3.5 books take option (b), applying it to all 1 HD creatures regardless of type.

Now, unless you are seriously trying to argue that your interpretation of the rule is the correct one and that WotC applied the rule wrongly in ALL of their books, I think we're done here.
    Last edited by Pan151; 2014-08-23 at 08:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I see no mention of humanoid anywhere in the actual rule. The only place where "humanoid" is mentioned is in the header.

Thus, there are 2 distinct possibilities:

a) The rule applies only to humanoids, and the main body of the rule listed "creature" rather than "humanoid" by mistake.
    b) The rule applies to all creatures with class levels, and the header refers to "humanoids" by mistake.

When a rule is ambiguous, the obvious thing to do is see how the official source applies it.

And all official 3.5 books take option (b), applying it to all 1 HD creatures regardless of type.

Now, unless you are seriously trying to argue that your interpretation of the rule is the correct one and that WotC applied the rule wrongly in ALL of their books, I think we're done here.
    Example characters aren't a very good source for adujicating rules applications, many are incorrect. You still haven't pointed me to a general rule quote. The rule in question is only in relation to a discussion of humanoids. Until you can quote a general rule, not specific to humanoids, I agree, we are done here.

ETA: I wholeheartedly agree that RAI is to replace the HD of any creature. It's how I rule it in the games I run. I just don't see RAW support for it.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2014-08-23 at 08:57 AM.