New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Newbie needs help creating Gunslinger adept Shadowrun 4e

Hi all,

first time doing SR 4E, though I tried 2E many moons ago. I'm looking at making a gunslinger themed after Roland from Darktower (Stephen King version). A guy with the cool resolve power, able to whip a pistol or rifle out in a heartbeat and is the best shot he can be. My other idea is a sniper build that has some supernatural abilities (eyesight, aim, etc) mixed with technology to be a complete package at covering the long range role in the group.

From what I've read, I shouldn't try to compete with the Street Sammie in raw power, nor do I want a cheese power build. For my old west style gunslinger, should I mix some spells in there that would even the odds? The game is pretty complex with VR, Astral Plane, Reality, that I'm not sure what spells are worthwhile.

Appreciate any help out, the sample gunslinger adept is a run and gun with dual pistols. I'm trying to figure out what would give my adept something unique in the group, some power or spell that would seriously help in combat with a super tank sammie in the group already, and a battlemage coming in soon.

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Newbie needs help creating Gunslinger adept Shadowrun 4e

It's cheaper by far to be a Mystic Adept and get the Health spell Increase Reflexes and a Force 4 sustaining focus, than to buy up the Adept power that gives additional initiative passes. Up to 1 essence worth of bioware is usually worthwhile, especially if you look at things like Platelet Factories and Pain Editor - Cerebral Booster is also a major plus if you're playing a Logic-based tradition. If you keep the magic invested into spellcasting low, you can seem the Adept with one or two spell tricks that nobody will expect due to your reputation of not casting or summoning spirits - and when you do, it's all the better. For bonus style points, use a Possession tradition and keep a bound spirit on reserve to summon into yourself to augment your abilities, and have it act for you in dire situations.

I'm personally fond of the Ares Predator IV as a pistol of choice. It has good clip size, good damage, looks pretty good, and comes with an internal smartgun system. Use tech to enhance your senses rather than magic, and save your magic for enhancing other things or getting abilities that are normally unavailable. Pick up the Adept Centering metamagic as soon as you can initiate, it'll be very worthwhile if you use any sustained spells besides one you have a focus for.

As for adept powers, Combat Sense can be useful if you need more defense, Improved Ability can get you more dice on your pistols skill (only take it after the skill is maxed though), Attribute Boost can be a big help as well, and other than that I'd say go for powers that increase your other skills and/or mobility. For additional spells, consider a small array of detection spells if you're going for the 'secretive that I have magic' type. Even if not, detection spells can make you seem to have a sixth sense (which you do) for finding your targets, and blind fire if your GM is permissible about flavor. The biggest problem I think you'll face is that firing dual weapons splits your dice pool, so you'll be less likely to hit with each shot. The biggest advantage is that you can stick different types of ammo in each if you want, and it's not as though you can only carry 2 guns.