New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I need a character concept

My group has been on hiatus over the summer and is starting a new campaign this Sunday. I haven't been able to think of a character I really want to play. Does the playground have any suggestion

Just so you know I'm not looking for a complete build or a complex personality and backstory. I can figure that out on my own I just need some ideas. So far the party has a sorcerer a bard and a gramarist from this homebrew system. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rie-Discussion

Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need a character concept

Seems to me like perhaps a Cloistered Cleric, maybe in a bit of competition with the Academist/Gramarist over knowledge and divine provenance?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    My group has been on hiatus over the summer and is starting a new campaign this Sunday. I haven't been able to think of a character I really want to play. Does the playground have any suggestion

Just so you know I'm not looking for a complete build or a complex personality and backstory. I can figure that out on my own I just need some ideas. So far the party has a sorcerer a bard and a gramarist from this homebrew system. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rie-Discussion

Thanks in advance!
    Grammarist (now renamed the Academist, according to the post you linked) seems to be a warlock-sort, so... some sort of stabby-slashy-smashy type is probably what you'll want. You're also low on divine spellcasting, by which I mean you have none of it at all, and have fun convincing the Bard to waste his meagre spells known list on healing. Skillmonkeying and arcane magic looks to be covered between the three existing characters, as long as they coordinate their spells/SLAs known to avoid overlapping.

Maybe a combat-oriented cleric? War domain (especially if you choose a patron with a good favored weapon, like Kord) and the right self-buffs can make you a more than decent melee combatant, even without DMM, and you'll still have heavy armor and an average BAB to fall back on if you're faced with dispels/antimagic. Quick suggestion for a character idea, you could be a martially-inclined cleric out to prove his devotion by showing the strength his deity grants him.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post

Thanks in advance!
    My suggestions:

A smart warrior. This is the guy that plans. He wants to be leader, but is okay with being second fiddle, as long as his voice is heard.

The holy man. This guy espouses his faith in everything he does. Except, he is also a ladies man, and a damn fine cook.

The deulist. This one lives for besting everyone they can in non-lethal combat, and keeps a token from every defeated foe. Most tokens are the backup weapons on foes, but to those that are killed, he/she keeps the primary weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I give credit to Logic for this idea because it's basically combining two of his.

Wise Warrior: A warrior-cleric that always has a proverb for all occasions. Tends to look at things with a virtuous (but highly practical) mindset. If he makes a plan, it's fairly simple but effective nonetheless. May or may not be a quiet monk-like character (or a fairly charismatic leader bent on establishing a few congregations wherever he goes [Edit:But as Logic said about the smart warrior, the character is going to be willing to play second fiddle so long as his voice is heard.]).
    Last edited by RhoTheWanderer; 2014-08-22 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling and additional text
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    The Evokers/Warmages of the world would make statues of you (with the smoldering corpses of a thousand kobolds) if this happened.
    I appologize in advance if I get long-winded; I often seem to have great difficulty condensing my thoughts into a succinct summary.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A grizzled old holy warrior from the desert. I have a neat fighter/ dervish/kensai build that works well for this.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RhoTheWanderer View Post
    I give credit to Logic for this idea because it's basically combining two of his.

Wise Warrior: A warrior-cleric that always has a proverb for all occasions. Tends to look at things with a virtuous (but highly practical) mindset. If he makes a plan, it's fairly simple but effective nonetheless. May or may not be a quiet monk-like character (or a fairly charismatic leader bent on establishing a few congregations wherever he goes [Edit:But as Logic said about the smart warrior, the character is going to be willing to play second fiddle so long as his voice is heard.]).
    Seconded. You could either go full Cleric if you wanted the divine casting, or if you wanted more of a melee bent you could starts as Cleric and qualify for Pious Templar (Complete Divine) by 7th level. It's a neat little PrC (one of my favorites, in fact) with full BAB, d10 hit die, good Fortitude and Will saves, and the prereqs are easy for a cleric, especially with the War domain (BAB +5, Knowledge [Religion] 4 ranks, True Believer, and Weapon Focus with your deity's weapon). Also gives you Mettle, Weapon Specialization, some other bonus feats, spells up to 4th level, some minor DR, and a halfway useful (not alignment- or ability-dependent) smite attack. It's got some nice flavor to it (warrior devoted to serving a deity, simple but effective premise) and doesn't require much or any optimization to use it well.

ETA: as for patron deities, Complete Warrior has some great martial-themed gods; two of note for a wise warrior-type are Halmyr (LN; strategy, skill, and planning) and Altua (LG, honor and nobility).
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-08-22 at 02:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks a lot! I think I'll go for the pious templar build that looks fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So hi-op is your table?

2nd Cleric.

You also might need a melee type, in which case it's hard to go wrong with Warblade or Crusader. Or Cleric with a Crusader dip.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)