New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread VI: "The Very Model of a Gallifreyan Buccaneer" [SPOILERS]

I do rather like Capaldi as the Doctor, he has that air about him. I like that he was a little more "hands-off", reminded me of 9 a bit - 10 and 11 liked to be in the center of things, bringing attention to themselves and solving things in a big showy way, but 9 always just kind of did his things without making a show of himself. I hope they keep that around.

As for the episode, the overall story was kinda weak, but it introduced him well.

Also I'm going to have trouble with his Scottish accent.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread VI: "The Very Model of a Gallifreyan Buccaneer" [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    That's a point which has occurred to me - but the thing is, if that's the genuine truth, if he is this much less than he was, to the point of not recognising the difference between mouths and eyes etc, then that should be a sad thing. It shouldn't be played for laughs. So either way I'm not happy with it.
    If that's the genuine intent, it also means that Steven Moffat consciously thought while writing The Snowmen that Strax would be more interesting as a complete idiot than the mess of contradictions he originally was. And I don't like that as a possibility either. There is no way you can slice this that will make me approve of it.
    Let me propose this scenario: Strax was as good a nurse as Futurama's Dr Zoidberg was a doctor, which isn't too far a stretch in my opinion. If you're used to treating members of a cloned race, something as simple as sexual dimorphism is going to throw you for a loop.

Therefore his incompetence at xenobiology has carried over and the parts that didn't make it back is some the social and intellectual inhibitions, resulting in an over-emphasis of Sontaran cultural traits (Sontaran culture doesn't strike me as being particularly complicated - see the enemy, kill the enemy, obey the chain of command).

While it doesn't excuse his continued mistakes at nursing (I really hope they cut back on those scenes), it does paint a slightly better picture of his personality loss, as he's just more quirky rather than brain damaged.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My take on Deep Breath:

Spoiler
    Show
    First: I'm going to like Capaldi. His style and delivery are great, and they're letting him be dubious, which the Doctor should be. I almost hope they never answer who was responsible for the drone's death (or if he actually traded his watch for the tramp's clothes).

The re-use of the repair drones is actually somewhat clever, because it's a good parallel to the Doctor's own plight - when you replace everything about a thing again and again (say... thirteen times?), what is left of the original? He's fighting that very feeling in this episode, bringing up "you probably don't even remember where you got that face!", just as he can't. Also, the Girl in the Fireplace was the Tenth Doctor, same as Fires of Pompei, so stressing the "familiar but can't place it" aspect of the repair drones goes a good way to explaining why he doesn't exactly remember a Roman stoneworker.

The drones themselves don't match the Pompadour's drones, but that's also explained in the fact that the drones have been rebuilt repeatedly, mechanism included. Replacements on a primitive world would be difficult - pig iron and wood over glass and brass. It would also explain the use of organics in their own build - unlike the Pompadour drones, these guys are trying to keep themselves running rather than their ship. I did like that they used the same "touch the palm to activate the environment" motion that was used on the Pompadour.

Clara is a mixed bag for me. I get that seeing regeneration first hand is something of a new experience for her, but I would have liked to have her point out that the concept isn't new to her - especially because she remembered Ten during Day of the Doctor. Still, her having trouble separating Eleven from the Doctor was pretty cool - she instinctively knows what to expect from the Doctor even if he isn't acting like Eleven. And let's face it, post-regeneration Doctor is always an unsettling experience.

The dinosaur was largely wasted, and it was kinda stupid that it was so greatly oversized (they even argue about it in the opening), but it did show one aspect of Twelve I think - a surprising eye for the big picture. Had it been Eleven, he would have been majorly pissed at the dinosaur's murder, shouting that humans destroy anything that doesn't belong. Twelve, on the other hand apologizes to her burning remains but quickly stops thinking on her death and focusing instead on what it could mean.

The Patternoster Gang are still fairly interesting. It was nice to have someone with some experience with multiple Doctors in the room, and it not being Rose.

Missy is a tricky one. Could certainly be Romana ("Mistress") or Master (the Corsair set a precedent for gender changing regenerations). Could be someone new (like the Mother Superess from Time of the Doctor), too. My money says it's River, though - a dead woman (who is a brilliant and fairly veteran time lord in her own right) trapped in a super computer for all eternity? I could easily see her remodeling herself as the keeper of a haven for departed misfit souls. It's the right era, after all - the ship was from 50K, same as River's death in the Library*. The idea that the Doctor would end up be marrying a goddess of death (before she became such) is certainly fitting, isn't it?

* And Jack, come to think of it. The 50K era seems to be a popular source of futuristic human (but still human) characters and culture.

I have to say, though that my favorite bit in the entire episode was the "I've made mistakes... I'm not your boyfriend... I'm saying it was your mistake..." bit. At first it annoyed me because I thought it meant "I'm not your boyfriend, and that was the mistake", but the second time through I read it as "I'm not your boyfriend, but I acted like I thought I was and it's made this harder for both of us. I won't make that mistake again. You're my friend, not my date, and I'll keep that in mind". I'm hoping the second version is what they were aiming for, because I like it much more.

Spoiler: More general
    Show
    My overall opinion? Meh. There really wasn't much that grabbed me in the character drama, action, comedy, or plot. It certainly wasn't bad, especially by introduction episode standards, but there aren't many things I'll walk away from it asking "do you remember the part when...?". The death of the drone, the Doctor's not a boyfriend, and hitting Clara with a newspaper were probably the highlights for me, the last mainly because it made me chuckle when I was in a bad mood. End result: below average, but I won't mind seeing it again.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    My take on Deep Breath:
    Spoiler
    Show

I have to say, though that my favorite bit in the entire episode was the "I've made mistakes... I'm not your boyfriend... I'm saying it was your mistake..." bit. At first it annoyed me because I thought it meant "I'm not your boyfriend, and that was the mistake", but the second time through I read it as "I'm not your boyfriend, but I acted like I thought I was and it's made this harder for both of us. I won't make that mistake again. You're my friend, not my date, and I'll keep that in mind". I'm hoping the second version is what they were aiming for, because I like it much more.
    Spoiler: Boyfriend
    Show
    If it helps with your interpretation (assuming that isn't a typo), the line was "I never said it was your mistake", which means they were definitely going for your latter intent.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Spamalot in the Playground

Seconding Brother Oni.

Also, while Clara saw the past Doctors, she never actually saw a regen before. And she wasn't emotionally tied to any of them, save 11. She saved the rest of them because 11 was her friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The re-use of the repair drones is actually somewhat clever, because it's a good parallel to the Doctor's own plight - when you replace everything about a thing again and again (say... thirteen times?), what is left of the original? He's fighting that very feeling in this episode, bringing up "you probably don't even remember where you got that face!", just as he can't.

Spoiler
    Show
    There were a few shots in the episode that emphasized this as well. At one point you could see the Doctor's face as a reflection in - something, either the menu at the restaurant, or an actual mirror, I'd need to see it again to remember for sure - when he's talking about the drones, and it could apply to him too. (I thought it was kind of subtle, but I was on my second glass of wine at that point, so bear that in mind).

In general - I like what Capaldi brings to the role. This first episode, you can really see that he's bringing forward bits and pieces of the Doctor's previous incarnations. Even if that part was just for the fans, he made it work more-or-less smoothly. That takes some skill. By the end, he seemed to have shaken off the dust and started to establish what sort of Doctor he's going to be. Most importantly (IMO) he really seemed to be having fun in the role. I'm looking forward to what the rest of the series holds.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2014-08-25 at 03:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    This episode didn't really grab me, and I think I know why.
    The Doctor was out of the action for most of the episode, leaving Clara to carry the weight of things, which isn't a bad thing, except the Clara was never really much more besides a blank slate before now.

Yes, the various versions of Clara had been interesting. Oswin had been funny and brilliant, Clara Oswald (The Victorian era Governess) had been courageous, but Clara Prime had never really developed much beyond the baseline traits just about all the Companions shared. She only had a handful of episodes with 11, and I never really got a strong sense of who she is.

In Deep Breath we finally get a glimpse of Clara. She's smart, she gets scared but has the courage to not let that fear make her irrational, and she's proud.

Which is all great stuff, but we didn't see very much of that before. I really don't remember anything she did before, she was just kind of there.

So, suddenly Clara is a fully fleshed out character, and it seems weird to be "Re-introduced" to this character we supposedly already know.

And the other thing, I think Stephen Moffat's ego was showing through pretty hard here.

It seemed like a lot of the episode was dealing with the most basic mechanics of Regeneration and who the Doctor is. "He's thousands of years old, when he dies he gets a new face and a somewhat new personality, but he's the same person. Yes we know he used to be young and handsome, but he wasn't always that way" ect ect.

It seemed like so much of this episode was for the benefit of people who started watching Doctor Who when Moffat took over, and only liked it because they liked looking at Matt Smith. Anybody who had seen 9 or 10, heck anybody who had watched the 50th anniversary special, would have to be aware of the show's greater mythology, and wouldn't need to have the whole "He dosn't have to be a pretty twentysomething" explained to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This episode didn't really grab me, and I think I know why.
    The Doctor was out of the action for most of the episode, leaving Clara to carry the weight of things, which isn't a bad thing, except the Clara was never really much more besides a blank slate before now.

Yes, the various versions of Clara had been interesting. Oswin had been funny and brilliant, Clara Oswald (The Victorian era Governess) had been courageous, but Clara Prime had never really developed much beyond the baseline traits just about all the Companions shared. She only had a handful of episodes with 11, and I never really got a strong sense of who she is.

In Deep Breath we finally get a glimpse of Clara. She's smart, she gets scared but has the courage to not let that fear make her irrational, and she's proud.

Which is all great stuff, but we didn't see very much of that before. I really don't remember anything she did before, she was just kind of there.

So, suddenly Clara is a fully fleshed out character, and it seems weird to be "Re-introduced" to this character we supposedly already know.

And the other thing, I think Stephen Moffat's ego was showing through pretty hard here.

It seemed like a lot of the episode was dealing with the most basic mechanics of Regeneration and who the Doctor is. "He's thousands of years old, when he dies he gets a new face and a somewhat new personality, but he's the same person. Yes we know he used to be young and handsome, but he wasn't always that way" ect ect.

It seemed like so much of this episode was for the benefit of people who started watching Doctor Who when Moffat took over, and only liked it because they liked looking at Matt Smith. Anybody who had seen 9 or 10, heck anybody who had watched the 50th anniversary special, would have to be aware of the show's greater mythology, and wouldn't need to have the whole "He dosn't have to be a pretty twentysomething" explained to them.
    Counter to that, as I say: there are literally people who watched the show because the Doctor was "pretty." So, it - to the general astonishment of long-time Whovians - perhaps was a point that actually needed to be made, for the benefit of extremely shallow people... assuming they were not so completely shallow that they weren't even going to try.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the premier.

Liked the premier.

Hated Vastra on first appearance.

Still hate her. She is unpleasant, sexist, rude, sexist, pompous, sexist, condescending, sexist, irritable, sexist, and also sexist.

She ruins the show for me every time she appears.

Just go away already.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Hated Vastra on first appearance.

Still hate her. She is unpleasant, sexist, rude, sexist, pompous, sexist, condescending, sexist, irritable, sexist, and also sexist.

She ruins the show for me every time she appears.

Just go away already.
    But at least she brings Strax.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Seconding Brother Oni.

Also, while Clara saw the past Doctors, she never actually saw a regen before. And she wasn't emotionally tied to any of them, save 11. She saved the rest of them because 11 was her friend.
    Well counterpoint for consideration, her in Day of the Doctor connecting with the War Doctor and rolling with multiples pretty handily.

Though I bring a counterpoint for the other side that we can always wave our hands that Twelve did have a fairly extend period of being crazy, alone with Clara, and landing way back in the Cretaceous. And that might not even have been all of it. Which could shake any sane rational person.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well counterpoint for consideration, her in Day of the Doctor connecting with the War Doctor and rolling with multiples pretty handily.
    "Her" doctor was still there for all of that (11). It's not like she was ever locked in a room with Hurt, oh and he kept forgetting her name and confused her with Strax and left her a cryptic note in the paper like she was a stranger (I know, not him) and ditched her with killer cyborgs.

Basically, if Matt wasn't ruffled by any of the goings-on, she would have no reason to be either. What happened in DB was very, very different.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-08-25 at 09:35 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "Her" doctor was still there for all of that (11). It's not like she was ever locked in a room with Hurt, oh and he kept forgetting her name and confused her with Strax and left her a cryptic note in the paper like she was a stranger (I know, not him) and ditched her with killer cyborgs.

Basically, if Matt wasn't ruffled by any of the goings-on, she would have no reason to be either. What happened in DB was very, very different.
    Minor Point:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They assumed the other posted that note in the newspaper and both were wrong...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Just watched the new episode of Doctor who ..it was good but not that good as expected.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Watched the episode tonight. Overall I thought it had potential, but there was some not so good parts holding it back. The T-rex seemed to be there solely to show off the new budget (and really should have been a separate episode,) Moffat proves once more he doesn't know how to write female characters, and there were a few too many moments about how not pretty the doctor is. (I do understand that this was a message to a portion of the fanbase. I just don't think it needed to be given three times.)
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Does anyone think that Vastra and Jenny are actually a lesbian couple? There seemed to be a few subtle hints there.

Sigh.

Capaldi's a good actor, no doubts about him, but he deserves better material. Wasn't the worst I've seen but equally not the most engaging episode for me.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pilum View Post
    Does anyone think that Vastra and Jenny are actually a lesbian couple? There seemed to be a few subtle hints there.

Sigh.

Capaldi's a good actor, no doubts about him, but he deserves better material. Wasn't the worst I've seen but equally not the most engaging episode for me.
    I might think that, if I cared about Vastra and Jenny, and if Vastra were not a huge beacon of the hypocrisy of the internet, however I am too busy enjoying Strax's existence to pay attention to Green Sherlock.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Minor Point:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They assumed the other posted that note in the newspaper and both were wrong...
    You're new to the concept of white text I take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilum View Post
    I thought they did go a bit overboard with it. Extreme close-up on the kiss! Sherlock needs a pair of boobs bouncing around the room in order to think! Flirting with Clara even though they know she's straight! (Okay, actually that last one led to Clara's epic takedown of Vastra so I'll let it slide.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Vastra/Jenny
    Show
    I do like the fact that their relationship isn't treated as perfect - Vastra's domineering personality and Jenny's sensitive nature both cause friction. Jenny takes offense quickly at offhand comments while Vastra unthinkingly dominates the relationship (the maid "pretense" and "art"). The relationship is happy, but not perfect, and that makes it more tolerable to me. I do wish it wasn't such a focus whenever they're present, though. It works better as background than focal point, I think.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They are a bit overexposed, I think. I quite like them as an idea, especially maid/wife whatshername, but it feels like they've been in way too many episodes. Since when does the Doctor love Victorian times so much?
    Actually, this is one of the things that makes sense to me. The Doctor lived in (or rather, above) Victorian London for an unknown, but potentially quite long, period of time following the loss of Amy and Rory and before meeting Clara, and the Paternoster gang were his only real contact with "reality". It might be the place and time he stayed longest, besides Trenzalore, which wasn't through choice anyway.

(Difficult to say, though, as the Eleventh Doctor had an exceptionally long life, possibly longer than all previous Doctors put together, and it's not anything close to clear where he spent all that time or how long he spent in various places).

But in any case, it might well be that following those experiences, and in the absence of Gallifrey, it's the place in real-space/time he considers closest to his home, which might also explain why the TARDIS took him there after the dinosaur ate it and the Doctor wasn't up to the job - either it took him somewhere it considered relatively safe, or Victorian London is the Eleventh's "homepage" and where it heads to when the emergency button is pushed.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #81

Or it just took him where he needed to be like it's done before. As we saw in the episode,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Half-Face Man" was getting pretty active in that time period just before he arrived, with over 9 murders committed in the space of a few weeks.

There's a good chance that, had he not landed, the Paternoster gang would have stumbled across the androids eventually and gotten killed.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Actually, this is one of the things that makes sense to me. The Doctor lived in (or rather, above) Victorian London for an unknown, but potentially quite long, period of time following the loss of Amy and Rory and before meeting Clara, and the Paternoster gang were his only real contact with "reality". It might be the place and time he stayed longest, besides Trenzalore, which wasn't through choice anyway.

(Difficult to say, though, as the Eleventh Doctor had an exceptionally long life, possibly longer than all previous Doctors put together, and it's not anything close to clear where he spent all that time or how long he spent in various places).

But in any case, it might well be that following those experiences, and in the absence of Gallifrey, it's the place in real-space/time he considers closest to his home, which might also explain why the TARDIS took him there after the dinosaur ate it and the Doctor wasn't up to the job - either it took him somewhere it considered relatively safe, or Victorian London is the Eleventh's "homepage" and where it heads to when the emergency button is pushed.
    Very wrong. Offhand, 8 was on Orbis for around 600 years, and a century on Earth, at least. And Three spent years on earth, investigating with UNIT before being allowed to leave.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2014-08-26 at 12:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If you can trust the Doctor's word on it, nine and ten together survived for only decade or so and Eleven said it had been ~400 years between War's part in "Day of the Doctor" and Eleven's. About two hundred of that was spent goofing off between the Big Bang and the Impossible Astronaut, so about another two hundred would be split between him running from Utah and sulking after losing the Ponds. Given that Jenny hasn't aged much between A Good Man Goes to War and Deep Breath, however, I have a hard time believing he was sulking for more than a decade.

He has certainly lived more than half his life as Eleven (assuming you can trust his word on the matter, of course), which does explain why he might have some trouble remembering his life as Ten, especially given his mental deterioration by the end of Eleven's life.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Very wrong. Offhand, 8 was on Orbis for around 600 years, and a century on Earth, at least. And Three spent years on earth, investigating with UNIT before being allowed to leave.
    I meant the Eleventh Doctor specifically, sorry. Given the state the new one was in, the Eleventh's desktop settings are presumably still in place in the TARDIS.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #85

I would say any "deterioration" or momentary confusion had as much to do with having a whole new cycle as anything else. He seemed pretty lucid on the phone with Clara and that was right at the end of being 11.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-08-26 at 12:28 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, this is one of the things that makes sense to me. The Doctor lived in (or rather, above) Victorian London for an unknown, but potentially quite long, period of time following the loss of Amy and Rory and before meeting Clara, and the Paternoster gang were his only real contact with "reality".
    It made sense to me, too, because Vastra, Jenny, and Strax had known the other Clara.

Spoiler: Clara of many unchanged faces
    Show
    I think the idea that Clara went through many transformations, but essentially remained the same person with the same face, fits in well with the theme of the Doctor's regeneration into someone outwardly different, and whose personality also alters. The Doctor changes when he dies and is reborn; Clara seemingly did not. The Paternoster gang had met one of those Claras and had interacted with her, and treat her as if new Clara is the exact same person as other Clara.

I think I will really like Capaldi's Doctor. But I still felt the episode was so-so.

Spoiler: The episode
    Show
    I liked the ambiguity around whether or not the Doctor pushed Clockwork guy out the window. I was more disturbed by whether or not he actually did trade a watch for that coat. I hope Clara doesn't find his watch in the Tardis in some later episode.

That T-rex was pointlessly giant, and not really necessary to the episode.

The episode seemed uneven. maybe it was the direction. Can't quite put my finger on it.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Does Big Finish even refer to the long stay on orbis outside that episode? I've listen to dark eyes 1&2 a lot but only vaguely caught series 3&4 of EDAs on radio once.
    (Not that I'm not saying it didn't happen, just curious)
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2014-08-26 at 01:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that the Doctor said he was 1200 years old in "The Impossible Astronaut", and Amy said that she thought he was 900. Assuming that means he *was* actually 900 when he first regenerated into Matt Smith, that would imply that particular regeneration of the Doctor lasted around 1100 years, since Peter Capaldi just said he was 2000 years old.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

so.. I've watched the episode only once because internet, so I might make a few mistakes or have misunderstood a thing or two.
    random considerations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm confused: did the doctor say he was 2000 years old? I thought we'd gotten to approximately 1200 years.
    The dinosaur was a bit too big to be taken very seriously.
    The whole confusion about Clara's confusion was.. confusing. Whether it was bad writing or an ominous warning that something's wrong with this Doctor, it wasn't handled very well and just felt a bit all over the place. Whatever the role of this particular "thing" was, it didn't play it out.
    I like Clara mostly on a shallow and aesthetic level. There is some depth to her too and Coleman does fit the role very well... but in this episode I wasn't convinced half the time of what she was about.
    I think we've gone over this enough times.. We get it, Vastra and Jenny are married. Stop telling us already and make us believe it. I still like the idea of the Paternoster gang, despite this flaw in the rendition. Has something changed in Vastra's make-up? I have a feeling she's displaying a lot more "human" facial expressions than before.. and I'm not sure I like the change. It makes her less "alien" and therefore less believable. But maybe I'm just misremembering.
    Strax rules! Just looking at his bemused expression nudges my funny bone, the gags only add to the sentiment. I could happily sit through an entire episode of him being confused, confusing others and struggling to keep his urges for physical violence and rampant nationalism at bay.
    Capaldi shows a lot of promise, but the first half of the episode I was very confused by this Doctor's persona. I can fully accept him being confused and all over the place, somewhat lost and busy "rebooting".. but I don't expect him to confuse me.
    Him shushing Strax was hilarious to watch, but it was counteracted immediately when he confused him with the seven dwarves.. that was just.. poor, really, though I guess it gets laughs from the main demographic target of the show... and then the whole confusion of Clara started which became irritating real quick.
    So the Doctor actually has a subconscious influence on what faces comes out of the regenerating process? (you'd think he'd managed to go ginger before then...).. is that an estabilished thing or is the whole "why did I chose this face" this season's crack in the wall/universe?? or is it a red herring?
    I'm quite curious to see where they'll go with the weird/creepy woman at the end.
    Spoiler: oddball theory on who she is
    Show
    she is Future Clara, gone ape**** crazy over time (for having witnessed so much of his centuries of adventures)... and become possessive and conniving. She's acquired powers and knowledge and is now plotting to manipulate herself and the Doctor to whatever end her madness hastold her to strive for.

As for her garden having been used before, it may just be a convenient set/location that has been reused and not have any in-universe significance.
    ... or not.
    The new Tardis looks.. neat, a bit sombre and cold, courtesy of the colour-scheme chosen. A strong deviation from the warm, steampunk-y previous Tardis into an almost sterile environment. That look sets the tone of things to come more strongly than anything said by the Doctor himself.

The one biggest gripe I have about the plot in this episode is the whole breathing thing and the reaction not breathing gets from the other robots.
    When the gang and Clara are fighting the robots she tells them to stop breathing and suddenly the robots loose interest and start withdrawing, despite having clearly recognized them as the enemy. So.. if all it takes to be left alone is not to breathe.. why not take a deep breath, move a few dozen steps, breathe again (the robots are shown to be rather slow on their feet).. hold their breath again, run some more..etc etc.. and get the hell out of there?
    Putting that aside, all in all the episode was decent entertainment in the finest Doctor Who tradition and to be fair, any sort of plot would have fallen short, given how the focus of this episode was always going to be how Capaldi portrayed the Doctor and what the new Doctor would have been like, not how he beat the episode's bad guy.
    Last edited by dehro; 2014-08-26 at 03:33 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    so.. I've watched the episode only once because internet, so I might make a few mistakes or have misunderstood a thing or two.
    random considerations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm confused: did the doctor say he was 2000 years old? I thought we'd gotten to approximately 1200 years.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He was about 1300 (Nine was 900 and in Day of the Doctor Eleven said it'd been four hundred years since then) when he walked into Tranzelore and then he spent centuries protecting the place. So long that he almost died of old age - as a Time Lord. So over 2000 is a fair certainty.

Spoiler: The Garden
    Show
    It's used in The Girl Who Waited as part of one of the most famously beautiful places in time and space. It was explicitly chosen to be a pleasant place to visit. I don't have a hard time believing that someone trying to create "Paradise" would use the same imagery.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-08-26 at 03:44 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.