New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: General Marvel Comics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    Wait, they are supposed to be the titular Avengers? I thought that Avengers team was comprised of Sue, Warmachine, and everyone else Steve Rogers had gathered together to hunt down the quoted names, in order to punish them for their actions as the Illuminati.
    Well yeah, that makes sense, after all, they are on the cover of the first iss...
    Spoiler: image
    Show

No, since the beginning the New Avengers was about all-male team of Illuminatti. In general I have hard time finding women in his books who actually matter for the plot on the same level Richards or Rogers do, except for Black "Lets go to battle wearing nothing but leather pants and a bra" Swan. But not a single person ever complained. But make a team composed of women, where women matters and make decisions, even if it might be only for a miniseries, and suddenly everyone are up the arms yelling stupid @#$%, just to put it down.
    Shame on you people, shame on you.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Well yeah, that makes sense, after all, they are on the cover of the first iss...
    Spoiler: image
    Show

No, since the beginning the New Avengers was about all-male team of Illuminatti. In general I have hard time finding women in his books who actually matter for the plot on the same level Richards or Rogers do, except for Black "Lets go to battle wearing nothing but leather pants and a bra" Swan. But not a single person ever complained. But make a team composed of women, where women matters and make decisions, even if it might be only for a miniseries, and suddenly everyone are up the arms yelling stupid @#$%, just to put it down.
    Shame on you people, shame on you.
    I actually started picking up the book when they started doing the "X Until..." covers leading up until whatever the next big explosion is, so never saw the first covers. So I've only seen the books where the Illuminati were on the run, and figured it was payback for their shenanigans during...well, everything.

They actually gave the Illuminati an Avengers title. You'll have to excuse me, I need to put a skull sized dent in a wall...
    Last edited by Foeofthelance; 2015-02-17 at 05:32 AM.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

3. - Top - End - #333
    Banned

Goblin

I actually started picking up the book when they started doing the "X Until..." covers leading up until whatever the next big explosion is, so never saw the first covers. So I've only seen the books where the Illuminati were on the run, and figured it was payback for their shenanigans during...well, everything.

They actually gave the Illuminati an Avengers title. You'll have to excuse me, I need to put a skull sized dent in a wall...
    In all honestly, the book should be called Illuminati or at least Avengers Illuminati, or at least Secret Avengers, but New Avengers sells better. But yeah, they gave them new book, where they get together and pull their resources to stop new threat. But of course they didn't thought of inviting characters like Abigail Brand, Daisy Johanson or Maria Hill, who are (or were when Illuminati formed, because Daisy managed to get fired in two years since) on top of world's biggest secret organisations. Hell, once they included Captain Britain Corps member, they didn't use Roma or Saturyne, two women who lead that group. Instead it's Brian Braddock, because it's not like he hasn't been demoted from a commander of the corps to regular member years ago. Oh and they could include T'Challa's sister, Shuri, who is now an actual squeen of Wakanda,. Instead she was killed off-panel to give her brother more reasons to pose dramatically and speak pretentious lines*.
    Sorry people, but there is nothing, NOTHING controversial about A-Force, when Avengers book that treated women like no better than lampoons and fanservice material has been running for two years and got nothing but critical acclaim and you cannot even say a bad word about it without being attacked by dozens of fanboys. But no, book that gives women an agency, that's controversial.
    Jesus Cwies, this is why everyone looks down on comics fans, this festival of sexism and misogyny right there.

* - like everyone in Avengers and New Avengers for that matter, it's like Hickman is trying to get the most quotes ever on wikiquote/tvtropes

4. - Top - End - #334

*waves hands in surrender* I was honestly just more surprised that the someone thought the Illuminati ought to headline a book. They're schmucks and ought to be locked in a playpen somewhere and only dragged out when someone needs a mcguffin device built. As far as the A-Force is concerned, as long as the story is entertaining and the art is relatively clean*, I'll give it a look.

*Personal taste in art. I don't enjoy scratchy, messy art and prefer cleaner lines.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

*waves hands in surrender* I was honestly just more surprised that the someone thought the Illuminati ought to headline a book. They're schmucks and ought to be locked in a playpen somewhere and only dragged out when someone needs a mcguffin device built. As far as the A-Force is concerned, as long as the story is entertaining and the art is relatively clean*, I'll give it a look.

*Personal taste in art. I don't enjoy scratchy, messy art and prefer cleaner lines.
    I've been following Hickman's run on both titles since it started in 2012 or so. You really need both to understand what the heck is going on currently. Since they began the "x months until time runs out", the story line is merged and alternates between the two titles.

I'm actually a fan of both. The art has been consistently good, and I like the epic cosmically themed apocalypse that has been building up. The only thing I thought was silly was when they sent people with no cosmic ability at all to fight in a space war. Black widow, Shang chi and Jessica Drew have no business piloting spaceships or fighting in space for any reason, just leave them at home to defend earth. They can Kung fu fight with aliens on the ground.

The new avengers title may not be appropriately named, but I don't think it is a bad story. Yes, it's all men and that is pretty sexist, but they aren't presented as great guys. It started out as a gathering of everyone who was a guardian of an infinity stones(who all happened to be men). They are a group that has the hubris to think that they alone are equipped to deal with an ongoing existential threat, and struggle with the morality of what they will potentially have to do to save their universe from extinction. Eventually, all but one of them choose morality/conscience over survival. This doesn't matter in the end, however, because Steve and the other avengers find out what's been going on and cut them no slack, leading to the conflict going on in the "time runs out" issues. (Yes, Steve was one of the original holders of the stones, but after their first idea failed and he disagreed with the rest of the group on how to proceed, they erased his memory of the whole event. This is one reason why he absolutely won't forgive them now, regardless of what they've done or why they did it.)

6. - Top - End - #336

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    The new avengers title may not be appropriately named, but I don't think it is a bad story. Yes, it's all men and that is pretty sexist, but they aren't presented as great guys. It started out as a gathering of everyone who was a guardian of an infinity stones(who all happened to be men). They are a group that has the hubris to think that they alone are equipped to deal with an ongoing existential threat, and struggle with the morality of what they will potentially have to do to save their universe from extinction. Eventually, all but one of them choose morality/conscience over survival. This doesn't matter in the end, however, because Steve and the other avengers find out what's been going on and cut them no slack, leading to the conflict going on in the "time runs out" issues. (Yes, Steve was one of the original holders of the stones, but after their first idea failed and he disagreed with the rest of the group on how to proceed, they erased his memory of the whole event. This is one reason why he absolutely won't forgive them now, regardless of what they've done or why they did it.)
    As someone who mainly follows the X-Men from time to time, could someone fill me in on why I should apparently despise the non-Steve Rogers Avengers crew? More so than I already do some members like Beast I mean. I saw something about genocide mentioned earlier.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    As someone who mainly follows the X-Men from time to time, could someone fill me in on why I should apparently despise the non-Steve Rogers Avengers crew? More so than I already do some members like Beast I mean. I saw something about genocide mentioned earlier.
    I don't despise them, for the most part. They've been dealing with an impossible no-win situation and are absolutely torn and devastated about what actions they will eventually need to take.

If anything, Steve Rogers is acting way more irrational and emotional than makes sense for him, even considering how he was personally betrayed by them, spending so much effort on arresting the illuminati rather than dealing with the literally universe ending problem. The worst thing they are guilty of is mind wiping Steve and not bringing the other avengers in on the problem from the beginning. They knew they potentially would be forced to do things that are morally wrong in order to save the universe, and were willing to bear that burden without requiring others to taint themselves ( since they each already have tainted themselves in other ways in the past, to varying degrees).

Only Namor was actually willing to go through with committing genocide/universe-cide, when it came down to it. They all could not bring themselves to pull the trigger and were prepared to let the earth and their universe end rather than cross that line. After that, Namor went full on villain and freed Thanos and his crew (trapped since the events of Infinity) and formed the Cabal, along with Maximus the Mad and a couple others who had no qualms about extinguishing life on a universal scale. Anything was justified when it means the survival of your very universe.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2015-02-17 at 01:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338

EvilClericGuy

I don't despise them, for the most part. They've been dealing with an impossible no-win situation and are absolutely torn and devastated about what actions they will eventually need to take.

If anything, Steve Rogers is acting way more irrational and emotional than makes sense for him, even considering how he was personally betrayed by them, spending so much effort on arresting the illuminati rather than dealing with the literally universe ending problem. The worst thing they are guilty of is mind wiping Steve and not bringing the other avengers in on the problem from the beginning. They knew they potentially would be forced to do things that are morally wrong in order to save the universe, and were willing to bear that burden without requiring others to taint themselves ( since they each already have tainted themselves in other ways in the past, to varying degrees).
    But what have they actually done? Spoil away.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

But what have they actually done? Spoil away.
    They have destroyed several parallel earths/universes that were each already basically destroyed and inhabited by hostile factions of universe-hopping beings that would have destroyed 616 as well, had the illuminati not stopped them. The overall situation is that the multiverse is collapsing. Earth is the central location in this, of course, the site of an unspecified anomaly which precipitated these collisions with parallel earths that always result in the destruction of one or both of the earths and their universes.

Initially, when the first earth incursion was happening, they reformed the infinity gauntlet to attempt to stop the whole thing with reality altering power. Steve was chosen as the best of them, to wield the gauntlet and give it a shot. It resulted in all the gems shattering, and the time gem disappearing. After this failure, the incursion earth was destroyed using a bomb that this character black swan had brought with her, she is the one who tells them what is going on and informs them that the only way to stop this is to destroy every parallel earth that shows up (she has been hopping from earth to earth doing just that). Steve just could not accept this, so the rest of the illuminati decided it was in the universe's best interest if Steve did not get in the way of what might need to be done and wiped his memory. They had an arsenal of anti-matter bombs built in order to blow up the incursion earths.

After several encounters with hostile earths that were either already basically destroyed, or in the process (an alternate galactus was devouring one, in order to save the rest of that universe), finally they came upon an earth that was being defended by real heroes, that had not yet been devastated by dimension hopping baddies. They fought with them for a while in a devastating combat, seemed like they would lose, then strange eventually used the blackest of magic to horrifically defeat them. They all felt so guilty and horrified by what they had done that they refused to go through with destroying the parallel earth. They would let it all end. All except Namor, who pulled the trigger. The other illuminati went their own ways, to say goodbye to their loved ones and tie up loose ends, since they refused to destroy any more earths. That is when Namor formed the cabal, they commandeered the arsenal of bombs, and went about saving the universe in place of the illuminati.
    After that, the story jumped ahead several months in time to the "until time runs out" series, and we find the different factions of avengers fighting each other.

The biggest complaints against the illuminati are that they kept hidden a universal threat from everyone, they erased Steve's memory, they built an arsenal of anti matter bombs, they secretly had Thanos imprisoned and ultimately allowed him to get loose again, they destroyed whole planets (regardless of who was on them or what state they were in at the time). Edit: another complaint is just the fact that these guys had the arrogance to re-form the illuminati at all. And, Steve realizes that from the beginning of this big new avengers plan to bring in more heroes and organize them into better teams, Stark has known all this, and Steve feels he has been manipulated from the beginning and the very idea of the avengers "machine" has been tainted by Tony's involvement.

From Steve's point of view, they need to answer for these crimes regardless of the reasons or consequences. They can go before a jury and try to explain why they did what they did and see if any of them are innocent enough to go free. Which is totally reasonable, if Thanos weren't running around loose and the universe in danger of ending on any given day. Like maybe devote a few more resources to saving the universe and a few less to arresting people you have a grudge against, until after the crisis is over. But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2015-02-17 at 02:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340

The Illuminati was originally the group that split up the Infinity stones after they were taken from Thanos. Since then, they've sort of appointed themselves as the semi-shadow government of the 616 Earth. Unfortunately, they're just about as dysfunctional as any real government can be, and a lot of their independently taken actions tend to have rather destructive unforeseen consequences, with the most noticeable being World War Hulk. They've since squandered most of the trust other heroes have for them on both an individual and broader level (Beast breaking the time stream to bring the Past!X-Men forward, Reed and Tony's actions during Civil War, Black Bolt was replaced by a Skrull...) just in time for a world shattering event that of course is going to require them at their best to save the day.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

Goblin

The new avengers title may not be appropriately named, but I don't think it is a bad story.
    I'm not saying that. I don't think it's as good as people claim, but I can give credit where it belongs for things like issue #21. And II'll forever laugh at the image of Doctor Strange feeding Superman and Harry Potter to Cthulhu. But I'm saying it's unfair to complain about all-women team of A-Force when nobody was giving the same treatment to New Avengers.

Only Namor was actually willing to go through with committing genocide/universe-cide, when it came down to it. They all could not bring themselves to pull the trigger and were prepared to let the earth and their universe end rather than cross that line.
    Actually, Strange was prepared to destroy it first but others knocked him down thinking he's turning into a demon (I hate how Hickman writes magic btw) and then he threw a fit. And since Red Onslaught kicked him out of Universe he teamed up with Racist Names (no, seriously, who the hell thinks in years 2013-15 it's appriorate to give a villains name Black Priests?) and killed multiple worlds.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I'm not saying that. I don't think it's as good as people claim, but I can give credit where it belongs for things like issue #21. And II'll forever laugh at the image of Doctor Strange feeding Superman and Harry Potter to Cthulhu. But I'm saying it's unfair to complain about all-women team of A-Force when nobody was giving the same treatment to New Avengers.

Actually, Strange was prepared to destroy it first but others knocked him down thinking he's turning into a demon (I hate how Hickman writes magic btw) and then he threw a fit. And since Red Onslaught kicked him out of Universe he teamed up with Racist Names (no, seriously, who the hell thinks in years 2013-15 it's appriorate to give a villains name Black Priests?) and killed multiple worlds.
    Yes, Strange has gone strange. I am confused a bit by that whole thing. He tried to sell his whole soul for infinite power, but then he wasn't allowed to because he is apparently missing some of his soul, but then it seems like he did make some deal to get that much power, in order to show up and defeat those heroes? Or did he go back/through time and create the priests, and they have been extensions of him all along? I don't know what the heck is going on with him.

Aside, I don't think the name "black priests" is racist. What would be racist is if they were somehow equated with a real life ethnic group that were implied to all be evil. Just calling something "black" is not enough to get a racist label.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

So one contradiction in Marvels,
    Why do people hate Mutants despite Super Heroes existing in that universe? That question caught me since I discovered that X-Men shared the same universe as Spiderman and other Marvel characters as a kid. Even more weirder, until House of M, when people didn't even bat an eye or picket at Avengers when Scarlet Witch and Quick Silver became part of them.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Why do people hate Mutants despite Super Heroes existing in that universe? That question caught me since I discovered that X-Men shared the same universe as Spiderman and other Marvel characters as a kid. Even more weirder, until House of M, when people didn't even bat an eye or picket at Avengers when Scarlet Witch and Quick Silver became part of them.
    There are a couple of different factors involved. The heart of the issue is that the other heroes aren't declaring themselves humanity's replacements. There's a point the average Joe can point to the majority of heroes and say, "Ok, Iron Man is smart and rich, the Fantastic Four got hit by science, Captain America is on drugs, Captain Marvel stood too close to an exploding alien..." They're all just human+. The mutants on the other hand, keep explicitly reminding people that they only exist to replace humanity, the same way humanity replaced the neanderthal. Then there's the fact that the X-Men are really terrible at doing self PR, and started a really young age. When the face of "good" mutants is a teenager capable of blowing up mountains if his eyeglasses get stolen, an amnesiac government weapons project that otherwise kills most of his enemies, or the guy who routinely dinks around in other people's minds, you tend to make people a bit wary. Not to mention the revolving door they seem to have permanently installed for their villains such as Magneto.
    Last edited by Foeofthelance; 2015-02-19 at 05:01 AM.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

15. - Top - End - #345
    Banned

Goblin

Then there's the fact that the X-Men are really terrible at doing self PR, and started a really young age.
    Same goes for Spider-Man, which explains a lot.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aside, I don't think the name "black priests" is racist. What would be racist is if they were somehow equated with a real life ethnic group that were implied to all be evil. Just calling something "black" is not enough to get a racist label.
    Surprisingly, we still have some common sense here ... No, marvel black priests have no connections with any racial groups

17. - Top - End - #347

EvilClericGuy

The biggest complaints against the illuminati are that they kept hidden a universal threat from everyone, they erased Steve's memory, they built an arsenal of anti matter bombs, they secretly had Thanos imprisoned and ultimately allowed him to get loose again, they destroyed whole planets (regardless of who was on them or what state they were in at the time). Edit: another complaint is just the fact that these guys had the arrogance to re-form the illuminati at all. And, Steve realizes that from the beginning of this big new avengers plan to bring in more heroes and organize them into better teams, Stark has known all this, and Steve feels he has been manipulated from the beginning and the very idea of the avengers "machine" has been tainted by Tony's involvement.

From Steve's point of view, they need to answer for these crimes regardless of the reasons or consequences. They can go before a jury and try to explain why they did what they did and see if any of them are innocent enough to go free. Which is totally reasonable, if Thanos weren't running around loose and the universe in danger of ending on any given day. Like maybe devote a few more resources to saving the universe and a few less to arresting people you have a grudge against, until after the crisis is over. But maybe that's just me.
    And these are the people that decided the X-Men couldn't handle the Phoenix situation? By the way, how is Cyclops still public enemy number one and everyone seems to be cool chilling with Namor? Cyclops killed one guy who was far from the saint he is made out to be while he was possessed by a cosmic entity. Meanwhile Namor drowned Wakanda. One is possibly a murderer while the other has committed crimes against humanity.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

And these are the people that decided the X-Men couldn't handle the Phoenix situation? By the way, how is Cyclops still public enemy number one and everyone seems to be cool chilling with Namor? Cyclops killed one guy who was far from the saint he is made out to be while he was possessed by a cosmic entity. Meanwhile Namor drowned Wakanda. One is possibly a murderer while the other has committed crimes against humanity.
    Yeah. Though I haven't noticed them really going after cyclops much anymore. He's technically still wanted, but it doesn't look like anyone's prioritizing that, except maybe local cops that see him and get freaked out.

The Namor issue is not brushed over completely, with Tchalla there. He is just biding his time, because the universe is literally at risk. And actually, as of a recent issue, Namor's number has finally come up to pay for that war crime.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So this is a thing

Because I don't spend enough money on comics already, anything I should make a point of picking up during this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #350
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So this is a thing

Because I don't spend enough money on comics already, anything I should make a point of picking up during this?
    Don't know what you already read. As always, I'd recommend Runaways, Journey Into Mystery and Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen, X-Men: Legacy by Simon Spurrier, Giffen/DnA-era Cosmic Marvel, Incredible Hercules, New X-Men vol.2 and Avengers Academy, but I don't know what of those you had already read.

Oh, I know - pick up All-New Ghost Rider and Loki: Agent of Asgard, they need sales boost.

21. - Top - End - #351

It's prejudice so it does not really make sense.

Mutants get a bad rap as they are hidden and could be anyone. You can never know if your son or daughter or parent or even best friend might be one. They can be anywhere, it's scary.

And mutants can have powers from ''sharp claws'' to ''bend time and space''. So you might have a secret time and space bender living right next to you. Or a telepath.

And before the whole ''M'' thing, there were lots and lots of mutants. Hundreds of them. By comparison the number of non-mutant super powered beings is quite small.

And the greatest band of non-heroes for mutants are the X-men, and they are outlaws at best. Though this totally the X-mens fault as they have bad public relations and don't even try to do good. Mostly they just sit around and act like kids and them randomly remember to do some action.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Marvel's What If ideas.
    - What if Avengers got stuck in My Little Pony universe?
    - or if they got stuck there for 25 years (no Pony-Human hybrids)?
    - What if entire Marvel universe is pony?
    - What if the Inheritors got stuck in My Little Pony universe...finding pony totem (guest writer- George RR Martin)?
    - What if super heroes never existed (except normal ones and relied on power suits) but faced Skrull and Galactus?
    - What if someone other than Jack Kirby draw the first famous Marvel characters (starting from Fantastic Four)?
    - What if Kamala Khan's brother or other family members got exposed the Inhuman magical gas thingy (Well, her entire family are descended from Inhumans)?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

Goblin

So Marvel now announced new Runaways book. Which doesn't seem to have anything to do with Runaways. Well, at least it's written by author of Nimona and has few characters I like, so I'm still excited.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Hi. I just finished reading Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal.

I'm not a comic book fan; though I've read a few comic books, most of my knowledge about Marvel characters comes from the movies (go ahead, call me a fake geek boy). But then some awesome person plastered the image of Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan all over the bus ads of an Islamophobic group in San Francisco, which drew my attention to this character I had never heard of. Doing some research, I learned that the comic in question had been very well received and contained a lot of geeky humor and references. So I went and bought the first volume (issues 1-5), despite knowing nothing about the "traditional" (pre-Kamala) Ms. Marvel.

And I don't regret it. I greatly enjoy all the small random jokes hidden in the background. The art is excellent. The characters are relatable; if not for their culture (I'm a white Canadian, while Kamala Khan is a Pakistani-American), at least for how normal they are. Kamala Khan finds herself with superpowers and a costume, and realizes that this alone does not make her a heroine: doing heroic acts makes her a heroine, and unfortunately that's the difficult part, with or without powers. As she notes, good is not a thing you are, but a thing you do. Whenever she's not busy saving lives, she remains a nerdy, insecure teenager who has to balance her newfound responsibilities with prosaic concerns (like being grounded by her parents for coming home late from her crime-fighting). I also feel there's a lot to be learned about Pakistani culture in Ms. Marvel, though I've only read the first volume.

I'm not sure I'll keep reading the series, as it's a considerable commitment of money. Comic books in general have a poor ratio of dollars to hours of entertainment, and I don't want to reach the point of no return where I'll be willing to pay an arm and a leg just to know how the story ends. Still, I'm very glad I bought the first volume, and I'm grateful to the urban vigilante who put Kamala Khan's image on buses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiderverse, now it's finished.
    Spoiler: Spoiler of comic arc
    Show
    - Mary Jane and Wes is still alive. At least the comic ending is salvagable at best.
    - Now Morlun stuck in radioactive wasteland (let's bet on how long will it last).
    - Silk is still alive . At least Peter turn her down.
    - Other spiderman are still dead, even my childhood (well, technically I only watched Amazing Friends as reruns but still thinking how the show would work if it had Human Torch instead of Firestar since everyone pretty much know Fantastic Four).

Time will tell if Marvel had enough idiotic courage to make What If crossover with My Little Pony and Inheritors..looking for Pony Totems (to be fair, some of the fans might be happy with ponies being slaughtered).
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Hi. I just finished reading Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal.

I'm not a comic book fan; though I've read a few comic books, most of my knowledge about Marvel characters comes from the movies (go ahead, call me a fake geek boy). But then some awesome person plastered the image of Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan all over the bus ads of an Islamophobic group in San Francisco, which drew my attention to this character I had never heard of. Doing some research, I learned that the comic in question had been very well received and contained a lot of geeky humor and references. So I went and bought the first volume (issues 1-5), despite knowing nothing about the "traditional" (pre-Kamala) Ms. Marvel.

And I don't regret it. I greatly enjoy all the small random jokes hidden in the background. The art is excellent. The characters are relatable; if not for their culture (I'm a white Canadian, while Kamala Khan is a Pakistani-American), at least for how normal they are. Kamala Khan finds herself with superpowers and a costume, and realizes that this alone does not make her a heroine: doing heroic acts makes her a heroine, and unfortunately that's the difficult part, with or without powers. As she notes, good is not a thing you are, but a thing you do. Whenever she's not busy saving lives, she remains a nerdy, insecure teenager who has to balance her newfound responsibilities with prosaic concerns (like being grounded by her parents for coming home late from her crime-fighting). I also feel there's a lot to be learned about Pakistani culture in Ms. Marvel, though I've only read the first volume.

I'm not sure I'll keep reading the series, as it's a considerable commitment of money. Comic books in general have a poor ratio of dollars to hours of entertainment, and I don't want to reach the point of no return where I'll be willing to pay an arm and a leg just to know how the story ends. Still, I'm very glad I bought the first volume, and I'm grateful to the urban vigilante who put Kamala Khan's image on buses.
    Well, I actually loved that book, which i bought for my comic book class. It's one of my favorite Marvel comicbook compared to Kurt Busiek's Marvels. But my teacher, being more towards academic, mainstream, and quit reading since Civil War storyline) got explained by one of the students about Inhumans (The gas in Ms. Marvel came from one story where a gas bomb exploded over Earth) and Ultimate Universe (Black Nick Fury being one of the survivors of Tuskeegee-esque serum experiment).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #356
    Banned

Goblin

If you enjoyed Ms. Marvel, give a try to G. Willow Wilson's new book, A-Force, which starts in May.

And in case anyone missed it - Noelle Stevenson is writing Runaways!

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

So did the Avengers met any opposition on having two mutant members (late Cannonball, Havoc, and other mutants* when I was too young to know about them)?
    The closes thing I see is these panels
    Spoiler: Large Image collage
    Show

I wonder if those guys face "consequences".
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Ms. Marvel 13 out,
    Spoiler: Issue Spoiler
    Show
    So she just referenced the Inhuman splinter group as extremists.

So we have a debate at out class on Marvel vs DC and the DC pointed out that Marvel minority super heroes are trying to use the already famous heroes' name to get publicity rather than original characters.
    Any counter arguments?
    To be fair, I am kinda new at Marvel comics and kinda felt that the targeted audience is spread out compared to usual knowledge (Ms. Marvel isn't connected to major storyline and introduced to new readers, Sam Alexander for younger audience and possible Ultimate Spiderman fans, and uggh Cracked decided to reference the Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxythat kinda try to get on the movie watcher's pandering train).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ms. Marvel 13 out,
    Spoiler: Issue Spoiler
    Show
    So she just referenced the Inhuman splinter group as extremists.

So we have a debate at out class on Marvel vs DC and the DC pointed out that Marvel minority super heroes are trying to use the already famous heroes' name to get publicity rather than original characters.
    Any counter arguments?
    I mean, yes they are. There's a reason Kamala is "Ms Marvel" instead of "Stretchy-Changy Girl". Why Sam Wilson took over as Captain America rather than just staying as "The Falcon".
    Because comic books are a business, and they're a business based on name recognition and hype. They're selling you 24 pages of pretty pictures for $4.
    80% of everything comic books do is a publicity stunt.
    Let's look at Kamala, for example. She didn't need to be "Ms Marvel". Heck, they could even keep the whole "Inspired by Carol Danvers" thing, but give her a new name.

They could have done it, yes, but it wouldn't have made as much of a splash as announcing that Ms Marvel, a title previously used by a blonde haired blue eyed white woman, and a title closely linked with the company itself, was now going to be used by a pakistani-american teenager. The story was therefore not "Marvel Comics Makes New Character" but "The New Ms Marvel".
    In addition, using the name is something of an investment on the part of Marvel. A totally new character, with a totally new name, can be forgotten about, or pushed to the background. They can have their six-issue arc, be canceled, and leave with no impact on the continuity at large.
    Making Kamala Ms Marvel, or Sam Wilson the new Captain America, indicates a commitment. Sure, they could cover Steve taking the shield and name back in about a page, but they would have to do it.

Finally, there is the idea of what these titles represent. It's not just "Demographic X can be a hero" ,its "Demographic X Can be THIS hero. They are worthy of this title".
    Sam Wilson was already a Hero as the Falcon. By making him Captain America, they didn't just make him a hero, they implied that he is a hero at the same level as Steve Rodgers. He's worthy of the title, and everything it represents. It's directly saying that this black man is just as much of a hero as this white man was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I mean, yes they are. There's a reason Kamala is "Ms Marvel" instead of "Stretchy-Changy Girl". Why Sam Wilson took over as Captain America rather than just staying as "The Falcon".
    Because comic books are a business, and they're a business based on name recognition and hype. They're selling you 24 pages of pretty pictures for $4.
    80% of everything comic books do is a publicity stunt.
    Let's look at Kamala, for example. She didn't need to be "Ms Marvel". Heck, they could even keep the whole "Inspired by Carol Danvers" thing, but give her a new name.

They could have done it, yes, but it wouldn't have made as much of a splash as announcing that Ms Marvel, a title previously used by a blonde haired blue eyed white woman, and a title closely linked with the company itself, was now going to be used by a pakistani-american teenager. The story was therefore not "Marvel Comics Makes New Character" but "The New Ms Marvel".
    In addition, using the name is something of an investment on the part of Marvel. A totally new character, with a totally new name, can be forgotten about, or pushed to the background. They can have their six-issue arc, be canceled, and leave with no impact on the continuity at large.
    Making Kamala Ms Marvel, or Sam Wilson the new Captain America, indicates a commitment. Sure, they could cover Steve taking the shield and name back in about a page, but they would have to do it.

Finally, there is the idea of what these titles represent. It's not just "Demographic X can be a hero" ,its "Demographic X Can be THIS hero. They are worthy of this title".
    Sam Wilson was already a Hero as the Falcon. By making him Captain America, they didn't just make him a hero, they implied that he is a hero at the same level as Steve Rodgers. He's worthy of the title, and everything it represents. It's directly saying that this black man is just as much of a hero as this white man was.
    I mean any original minority superheroes from Marvels.
    The only one I can think of is New Mutants, T'Challa Black Panther (Aaron McGruder should write him to rub him on Reggie's face), and aforementioned Falcon (even the characters in comic even chewed out on nametaking, which the Marvel universe is a bit meta-ish).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3