New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

biggrin General Marvel Comics thread

I think we need one :D

So, I just finished reading Ms. Marvel #7 and had a serious case of The Feels with the ending. Wolverine says they're going to see each other later... but we already know he is going to die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Marvel Comics thread

Yeah, "die".

I've generally avoided Wolverine since he ascended to near Batman-levels of overexposure and Mary Sue-esque writing. Still, seeing him in Ms. Marvel was delightful. I loved how he self-censored himself and was generally conscientious of her situation, rather than being the abrasive pragmatist who's bothered by her presence. I could easily see their team-up used as an attempt to disillusion Kamala from her fangirl adoration since Wolverine can be written more as a jerk and remain in character, particularly when she's wincing at the prospect of hurting giant mutant man-eating sewer alligators -- in fact I don't think I'd blame him. Instead they made it more about her having to confront the prospect that she'll have to inflict harm to prevent harm and the consequences of a dual-identity with someone who's more than a little experienced with young super-humans.

They're also getting around to explaining her Inhumanity, which really has me looking forward to the next issue.

Meanwhile in Captain Marvel, Chewie's mysterious origins are going to be explained. Which, of course, makes me want a Chewie/Lockjaw crossover.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I hope the Torfa crew shows up again in Captain Marvel, they were really fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Damn... I really want to read the new Ms. Marvel, but it isn't being published in México.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Damn... I really want to read the new Ms. Marvel, but it isn't being published in México.
    The first issues are available in Marvel Unlimited, I think. Or you could try the Marvel Comics app. I had a problem with it yesterday - I accidentally hit the 'download all' button and had more than 40 comics available, so it was going to take forever to download (I have a magnificently slow connection here at work) and I found out there is no way to cancel a download. Customer support advised that I uninstall the app to solve the issue. It was a bit of a headache, though - the one problem out of all the good things I've seen with the app.

Btw, I started reading Superior Spider-Man Team Up on Unlimited. The first issue already makes me regret not reading it when it came out. It really is a companion series that expands on the main series (unlike Avenging Spider-Man was).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still trying to convince myself of getting the Marveil Unlimited App, the problem is that I don't have my own tablet and I don't really like reading stuff like comics on my phone so there is that.

On the other hand, I've been getting my hands on some "old" comics that I missed when they were first published, I got the full miniseries of Minimum Carnage earlier this week and I just got the "Marvel Libary" (pocket compilations of famous storylines in paperback) books for Wolverine: Enemy of the State, Secret Invasion, Spidermen, House of M and Messiah complex books one and two. Of those 6 I'd only read the first three numbers of Enemy of the state (which I did about 10 years ago) and Spidermen. So I'm pretty happy with that. My only issue is that I'm missing at least 6 other compilations that I haven't seen.
    Just call me Dusk

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I'm still trying to convince myself of getting the Marveil Unlimited App, the problem is that I don't have my own tablet and I don't really like reading stuff like comics on my phone so there is that.
    Marvel Unlimited works on your web browser as well.

On the other hand, I've been getting my hands on some "old" comics that I missed when they were first published, I got the full miniseries of Minimum Carnage earlier this week and I just got the "Marvel Libary" (pocket compilations of famous storylines in paperback) books for Wolverine: Enemy of the State, Secret Invasion, Spidermen, House of M and Messiah complex books one and two. Of those 6 I'd only read the first three numbers of Enemy of the state (which I did about 10 years ago) and Spidermen. So I'm pretty happy with that. My only issue is that I'm missing at least 6 other compilations that I haven't seen.
    Let me know what you think about Minimum Carnage, I can never decide if I want to read it or not.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And that is what happens when one doesn't check stuff in detail.

As for Minimum Carnage, it is OK, noting really spectacular, but nothing bad in my opinion, the main highlight is that it sets up the stage for Superior Carnage, something which I didn't know when I got it.
    Just call me Dusk

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    I've generally avoided Wolverine since he ascended to near Batman-levels of overexposure and Mary Sue-esque writing.
    For me this was about 1999, although it may well have happened earlier and I just missed it. I was a big X-Men fan in the 80s and early 90s, but when I checked back near the end of the decade there was a bewildering profusion of X-titles, and the characters were almost unrecognizable. Haven't really kept up since.

It's sad, because I loved my classic X-Men back in the day. But it seems the classic tone is long, long gone.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    For me this was about 1999, although it may well have happened earlier and I just missed it. I was a big X-Men fan in the 80s and early 90s, but when I checked back near the end of the decade there was a bewildering profusion of X-titles, and the characters were almost unrecognizable. Haven't really kept up since.

It's sad, because I loved my classic X-Men back in the day. But it seems the classic tone is long, long gone.
    I'm with you, I really enjoyed Claremont's massive run on Uncanny and New Mutants. Wolverine in particularly was interesting because of the whole interpersonal dynamics within Claremont's writing. The mid-nineties stuff which followed was awful and the current continuity is a knot of perplexing proportions.

I have been reading the current Uncanny X-Men run because my friend reads it and we swap comics between us - while I really like the Tempus character and the art - it's really not a book I'd put my money on just because of how so much of it is mired in the last 10 years of X-Men stories and everyone has gone through these massive character arcs I know very little about.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'm with you, I really enjoyed Claremont's massive run on Uncanny and New Mutants. Wolverine in particularly was interesting because of the whole interpersonal dynamics within Claremont's writing. The mid-nineties stuff which followed was awful and the current continuity is a knot of perplexing proportions.

I have been reading the current Uncanny X-Men run because my friend reads it and we swap comics between us - while I really like the Tempus character and the art - it's really not a book I'd put my money on just because of how so much of it is mired in the last 10 years of X-Men stories and everyone has gone through these massive character arcs I know very little about.
    Yeah, to get the current Uncanny stories you probably need to start at least in 2011-2012 with Schism/Generation Hope, and Avengers vs X-men. And they are regularly intersecting with ongoing Wolverine and the X-Men and All New X-Men (which I think is really good).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    The mid-nineties stuff which followed was awful and the current continuity is a knot of perplexing proportions.

…and everyone has gone through these massive character arcs I know very little about
    This is my situation exactly. Backstories have ballooned past all understanding, and at this point the characters might as well be completely different people, several times over.

For Wolverine in particular, there have been so many layers upon layers of personal revelation that it seems there's nothing of the guy's essential mystery left. During the time I was reading, Logan was very here-and-now, rough-edged and barely stable, with a compelling tension between animal psychosis and a veneer of barest civility, with the added element of his Japanese connection. He was unique and a little scary, and the character felt organic and genuine.

Now, it seems, he's both more violent and less dimensional, more of a cliche of himself. And somehow he's become a father figure, first to Kitty and then to Rogue, and there are apparently entire volumes of his earlier centuries floating around. I can't even pretend to have a handle on it; I've barely looked, and I'd have to do more reading than grad school to get caught up again.

Also, at some point there was apparently a reboot--or something--with a blend of original and second-generation X-Men, but all teenagers, such that Ororo and Hank McCoy are an item, and likewise Bobby and Rogue. This latter pairing was evidently carried through into the movies, but it completely scrambles the timeline I thought of as "normal." It's hopelessly confusing, and somehow deeply depressing.

Originally Posted by Thrudd
    Yeah, to get the current Uncanny stories you probably need to start at least in 2011-2012 with Schism/Generation Hope, and Avengers vs X-men. And they are regularly intersecting with ongoing Wolverine and the X-Men and All New X-Men (which I think is really good).
    …like I said.

: /

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I'm rereading some old Spidey comics. Damn good stuff.
    Can't figure out if I like Wolverine vs Spidey, Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut or Kraven's Last Hunt better.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spider-Man is what got me into comics in the first place (specifically, being handed the first issue of Web of Scarlet Spider.)

So, despite knowing the the whole Clone Saga isn't very good, I liked it.

I am SUPER stoked for the upcoming Spider-verse event. (I am a bit of a sucker for events, unfortunately.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I was in a position to buy the first Wolverine title (mini-series) and the second (full series) when it came out (and to be honest, I may have bought the 1st issues and not remember for sure what I've done with them) I was never a fan of the character by himself. I started collecting X-men with the story "Professor Xavier Is A Jerk!" I really became aware of X-men by way of collecting New Teen Titans and getting the X-men/Titans one shot comic. It was a while before I understood everything that was going on there since I'd missed a lot of backstory.
    But without the team, Wolverine never offered much I cared about. Still doesn't. In fact, Wolverine and the X-men is one of the few "X-men" titles I don't bother to collect.

Regarding Ms. Marvel, I can agree it's well-written and a good book generally... but there's a degree to which I find it a bit overrated. The ethnic & cultural representation is, of course, a good & noble thing and I understand why it's praised for it, but in many other ways, it's just another title. Also not a fan of the art. I may just not be the right audience for it.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    I started collecting X-men with the story "Professor Xavier Is A Jerk!"
    Isn't that every X-men story ever?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    Regarding Ms. Marvel, I can agree it's well-written and a good book generally... but there's a degree to which I find it a bit overrated. The ethnic & cultural representation is, of course, a good & noble thing and I understand why it's praised for it, but in many other ways, it's just another title. Also not a fan of the art. I may just not be the right audience for it.
    Isn't everything just another title, though?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Spider-Man is what got me into comics in the first place (specifically, being handed the first issue of Web of Scarlet Spider.)

So, despite knowing the the whole Clone Saga isn't very good, I liked it.
    The problem wasn't really that the Clone Saga was bad, but that it was too popular for its own good so it got extended to twice its original intended length and the good stuff got diluted too far.

This latter pairing was evidently carried through into the movies, but it completely scrambles the timeline I thought of as "normal." It's hopelessly confusing,
    X-Continuity is hopelessly scrambled and confusing? You don't say....

I mean there are frequently multiple versions of the same X-Man wandering around, there were two Nightcrawlers for ages (possibly still are), then one died (again), went to heaven, was a pirate for a while (again), and then he came back again. Also there's his daughter from another alternate universe who was adopted by the "main" Nightcrawler...

And that's just one of them, and not even the one who's famous for dying, coming back, being cloned, etc.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The problem wasn't really that the Clone Saga was bad, but that it was too popular for its own good so it got extended to twice its original intended length and the good stuff got diluted too far.
    This, so much this. There are some pretty good stories along the Clone Saga, specially aunt May's death.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X
    I started collecting X-men with the story "Professor Xavier Is A Jerk!"
    I certainly remember the first page of that issue. Isn't this the one where Kitty fries the alien creature with the Blackbird's engines?

Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    ...there were two Nightcrawlers for ages (possibly still are), then one died (again), went to heaven, was a pirate for a while (again), and then he came back again.
    Busy elf, yah?

I never knew any of that. The pirate part fits, though...there was a pirate-ish version of Nightcrawler in one of the early X-Men Annuals, I think...either Kitty's fairy tale or something related. Maybe the Nightcrawler limited series?

gawd, it's been so long.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Despite the Clone Saga being bloated, I still liked it. I think it could have been but down to no less than about 75% of what it was and still have all the proper impact to the story.

But, the same could be said of nearly every Event, and/or tie-in throughout comics in general.

I like that Marvel Universe better than their Distinguished Competition because of it's usual handling of these types of events.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I certainly remember the first page of that issue. Isn't this the one where Kitty fries the alien creature with the Blackbird's engines?
    No. While the Blackbird WAS a "Lockheed" class aircraft, Kitty fought the Sidri with Lockheed the Dragon in that issue.
    But I can see how you could confuse the two. Both are Lockheeds... both fly... both expel flames...

The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Busy elf, yah?

I never knew any of that. The pirate part fits, though...there was a pirate-ish version of Nightcrawler in one of the early X-Men Annuals, I think...either Kitty's fairy tale or something related. Maybe the Nightcrawler limited series?

gawd, it's been so long.
    There have been many pirate versions of Nightcrawler, including the old limited series. It's just what he does on his days off.

Most lately though when he went to heaven it was actually all part of a plan by his dad to invade the place, so a bunch of other X-Men astrally project there or some such and they fight him off.

As pirates.

Because Nightcrawler is just that cool.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

While the Blackbird WAS a "Lockheed" class aircraft, Kitty fought the Sidri with Lockheed the Dragon in that issue.
    It wasn't a Sidri, but something else…a Nilgai? Something like that, which pursued her through the mansion when she was alone, possibly on Christmas Eve. She eventually made it to the Blackbird hangar, went through the preflight and flamed it with the afterburners.

This was long, long before she found Lockheed the dragon. Kitty's trial by fire. I'll have to dig out the issue.

Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    There have been many pirate versions of Nightcrawler, including the old limited series. It's just what he does on his days off.
    I remember his fascination with Errol Flynn movies. Fits him like a blue, furry glove.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

It wasn't a Sidri, but something else…a Nilgai? Something like that, which pursued her through the mansion when she was alone, possibly on Christmas Eve. She eventually made it to the Blackbird hangar, went through the preflight and flamed it with the afterburners.

This was long, long before she found Lockheed the dragon. Kitty's trial by fire. I'll have to dig out the issue.
    In the story titled Professor Xavier is a Jerk!, it absolutely was the Sidri... black crabs with Cyclops blasts. And it was Lockheed's first appearance.
    You're definitely thinking of another issue and another story; I'm talking about this.
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-09-03 at 02:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Goblin

What are you reading right now?
    Me? Superior Foes, ANGR, Ms. Marvel, New Warriors, Loki: AoA and few series I'm behind with due to moving to different country: Elektra, Silver Surfer, Magneto, X-Force. Been reading Moon Knight but once Ellis and Shavley walked out, so was I.

Also, I'm so happy Avengers Undercover is ending. Man, this book was beyond awful, I've never read something so sexist and misathropist and even bigoted against people with PTSD (not to mention that guy saying he was bound to turn evil because he was bullied for being gay). At the end even covers started to annoy me. Especially last one, Attack on Titan refference - because book whose whole premise was that if you are not perfect, if youre willing to compromise, if you are suffering from trauma, if you are hurt insade, you should give up and join villains sure as hell is one who should make refferences towards series about how humans, despite all their weaknesses and all the loses, should never give up fighting. Without a single trace of irony or parody, but iwth a straight face.
    Dang it, I never hated book so much as I do Arena and Undercover, Even One More Day is Shakespeare next to this two pieces of bat guano.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I don't know how long Superior Spider-Man #32 has been out, but the Edge of Spider-Verse begins there. Spoilers follow.
    Spoiler: Edge of Spider-Verse
    Show
    So, I am glad to see some version of Otto the Spider-Man survived. But we see the deaths of several Spider-Men, several of which I really liked.
    Spoiler: DEATHS
    Show
    a Fantastic FIVE Spider-Man, House of M Spider-Man, a Civil War Spider-Man, and one Armored Spider-Man

While the good Doctor recruits a few spider-men I am not too familiar with.

Spider-B****: This Spider-Woman looks like Mattie Franklin to me, but apparently she is from the "Old Man Logan" limited run, and is the Daughter of Hawkeye and Peter Parker's youngest daughter. She sounds like the type of ally a villain would recruit, but I doubt she will be to Otto's liking.
    Black-Ops Spider-Man: Instead of being the "Friendly-Neighborhood Spider-Man," this guy trained with Wolverine to basically become the Spider-Punisher. Not a bad take, if you ask me, but I'm glad he isn't the mainstream Spider-Man.
    Spider-Man Noir: This guy is relatively familiar to me, but he seems a bit like if Batman trained Spider-Man. It'll be nice to see how he shapes the story.
    6-Armed Spider-Man: Like doc Oc, but with organic limbs instead of artificial ones. We've all seen one version or another of this guy.
    Spider-Monkey: I did not know this was even a thing. I can't say I like this character, but he may warm up to me later.
    Spider-Man (Paviitr Prabhakar) (India): This guy seems like a great alternate version of the usual Peter.

So, Doc Ock has recruited 6 spider-folks to his cause, 4 of which I see more as liabilities than assets. (All but the 4th and last listed of the above)

Anyone have any particular Spider-Man they want to see? I am super stoked in particular for the upcoming limited run featuring:
    Spoiler: Semi-spoilers
    Show
    All* the previously known Scarlet Spiders: A Ben Reilly that Survived the Green Goblin's Machinations, Kaine, and Ultimate Scarlett Spider - Jessica Drew.

*Not including Joe Wade, the Cybernetic Scarlett Spider

EDIT: Apparently there are more than just the 4 Scarlet Spiders I noted above.
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-09-03 at 03:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

In the story titled Professor Xavier is a Jerk!, it absolutely was the Sidri... black crabs with Cyclops blasts. And it was Lockheed's first appearance.
    You're definitely thinking of another issue and another story; I'm talking about this.
    You have the advantage of me, sir. I was indeed confusing the two. It's been many, many years since I looked at those.

Hey, at least I got the Christmas Eve part right.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Avengers Undercover and Arena never looked appealing to me, guess I'm glad I didn't bother.

I'm reading Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World, Mighty Avengers, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All New X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Magneto, Cyclops, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, Captain Marvel, Thor God of Thunder, Loki AoA, Thor & Loki, Original Sin (not sure what I think of this yet)

I've got Captain America, Star Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Inhuman, and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (Shang Chi) still need to catch up on.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Marvel wise ? Loki: AoA, Black Widow, Elektra and just dropped Moon knight 'cause Ellis left

and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (Shang Chi) still need to catch up on.
    If you haven't bought them yet I wouldn't bother and I'm a Shang Chi fan from way back
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I'm currently paying for Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, All-New Ultimate Spider-Man, All-New Ultimates, and Inhumans.

I'm currently reading via other people - Avengers World, Spider-Man 2099, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Silver Surfer, Iron Fist, and All-New Ghost Rider.

I think I'll get into All-New X-Men at some point, I read the first four or so issues and decided I'd rather probably rather read the whole story than in individual issues.