New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Marvel Comics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Maybe. But then you have stuff like Brian Bendis and Scarlet Witch. Wanda has one awful story i nthe past, by John Byrne, where she turns evil and tries to kill Avengers. Since then multiple writers have worked hard to rebuild her reputation as a character, among them Kurt Busiek himself. She lead a superhero team by Iron Man's personal request and for some time lead Avengers, this time by Captain America's request.
    And then Bendis came along and turned hr into murderous crazy maniac because he didn't care about any of that - he liked John Byrne's story and never read anything else with Wanda. Years of hard work by many good writers to fix the character all destroyed by one guy. Hell, this is probably one of reasons why I'm so militant against Arena and Undercover. I want everyone to know how horrible they were if just to make chance some moron who only was exposed to Nico and Chase in them won't think it was good potrayal when he becomes Marvel writer in the future.
    As someone who is familiar with the movies and cartoons rather than comic, I am wondering that most adaptations try to lean towards Scarlet Witch as villain now. I was even surprised that she was actually one of the member of Avengers on one of the covers.
    At least based on X Men: Evolution and Wolverine and The X-Men, or I made a mistake on the Brotherhood's alignment.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    6) Marvel loves to overhype things. "THIS IS THE END OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE!!!!!" is exactly the type of overhyping they do. The "NEW MARVEL UNIVERSE" will basically be "The Old One, but with some Ultimate Universe characters in it", but since the two dimensions combined or whatever, it's technically a "New Universe", so their Hype isn't lying.
    That's pretty much what I'm expecting.

As long as they have good artists and writers making good stories, I don't care if they are rebooted or part of the 60 year continuity.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    As someone who is familiar with the movies and cartoons rather than comic, I am wondering that most adaptations try to lean towards Scarlet Witch as villain now. I was even surprised that she was actually one of the member of Avengers on one of the covers.
    At least based on X Men: Evolution and Wolverine and The X-Men, or I made a mistake on the Brotherhood's alignment.
    Scarlet Witch was originally a villain and part of the brotherhood, when she was first introduced. I assume that is why the shows introduce her that way, as well (and the movie probably will, too). Then she and her brother realize they were mislead by Magneto and leave the brotherhood, and eventually become Avengers. I also assume the shows would get around to that, as well, if they went on long enough (and will certainly happen in the movie).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

Goblin

I'm pretty sure tht in 90s X-Men TAS Wanda was a hero (but she was in all one episode). And in Iron Man cartoon from the 90s too. And maybe in Avengers: United They Stand? Was she even there?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

90's X-men TAS: Hero who had one semi villainous moment alongside her brother. They were in at least 2 eps. The villainous moment was in the latter of the two, and it was trying to assassinate magneto for revenge and it got more into there backstorys.

90's Ironman TAS: Hero in a number of eps and romantically interested in Tony (Big Shock.).

Avengers: United they Stand: The show was rather bad, but she was in it, as a hero.

X-men: Evolution: She was more of an Anti Hero then a villain. She wasn't in it to get the X-men or anything really, she was in it for revenge on Magneto. And she did later on help the X-men every now and then.
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Banned

Goblin

90's X-men TAS: Hero who had one semi villainous moment alongside her brother. They were in at least 2 eps. The villainous moment was in the latter of the two, and it was trying to assassinate magneto for revenge and it got more into there backstorys.
    I was pretty sure she was only in episode where she and Pietro found Magneto is their father. Pierwo was in two others (X-Factor episode and Phalanx two-parter)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Wanda was in the X-factor episode near the end during the brawl. She wasn't in the Phalanx two parter though.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

So which universe should Morlon go to kill spiderman, especially the hated ones?
    - Ponified Marvel verse (well, everyone on this thread seem to hate them).
    - Furry Marvel verse
    - Bad Fanfiction verse
    any ideas?
    Spoiler: Childhood
    Show
    My Childhood, not my childhood. I haven't recover after seeing the Amazing Friends and Spiderman animated series.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

Goblin

I want this pointless slaughter to be done with. It's stupid, it's pointless because everyone will die in Secret Wars anyway and it's just another murderfest book.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

I want this pointless slaughter to be done with. It's stupid, it's pointless because everyone will die in Secret Wars anyway and it's just another murderfest book.
    Even the annoying and hateful version (I wonder what made the Spiderman Ultimate to be hateful enough)?
    Well, it's going to end on February 2015 so one month to go.
    Even the editors are freaked out by Dan Slott's writing, especially the slaughter of Amazing Friends.
    I wonder if it will end in "Everyone revives and retcon the whole story, THE END". or creator cameo as god. (my money's on that idea).
    P.S- As curiosity, I wonder how much totems can Morlun get if he absorbed it from comic writers, who would be pretty much the god of the Marvel universe (Earth 1218 is immune to this though, so possibly some expendable superhero-less world). But they seem to can't absorb it from universe based on a comic that is still ongoing (Stan Lee's newspaper comic).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, after Death of Wolverine where nobody died - not even Wolverine - they have to rack up the body count somewhere, right?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's move on with a new subject.
    Attack on Titan (AoT) and Spiderman Crossover.
    Here's my peeve
    1. AoT's universe only have muzzle loading weapons and breach loading cannons that the titan will recover after each reload (Marvel had missle launcher, fighter jets, helicopters, Iron Man's fly and shoot, Punisher and Deadpool's heavy ordinance for that issue). Plus the wall actually kept them safe...until the Colossal titan came along and kick the gate open.
    2. The only scariest threat is the armored titan and Colossus Titan's steam protection. That would be challenging rather than difficult since many heroes have flight and ranged weapons.
    3. AoT's main technology to defeat the titan is 3d maneuver gear (jet pack/grappling hook thingy) and that alone have high casualty rate for soldiers.
    Spoiler: AoT Spoiler
    Show
    That and entire AoT setting is a spoiler when its world builds, like why there isn't automatic weaponry, flight, and how the wall was built.

Well, unless the titans ate Deadpool and caused more mayhem via Cancer-ridden-psychopath Titan.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #283
    Banned

Goblin

Titans are such small fries compared to Marvel that Scarlet Spider could probably solo them all. This crossover is already making their stronger than they are - Colossal Titan suddenly is bigger than the Statue of Liberty, despite canonnically being not.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Titans are such small fries compared to Marvel that Scarlet Spider could probably solo them all. This crossover is already making their stronger than they are - Colossal Titan suddenly is bigger than the Statue of Liberty, despite canonnically being not.
    Well, here's one for the Titan.
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Still, I wonder if a person with regeneration power can turn into a titan if he or she is eaten by them.
    Spoiler: AoT manga spoiler
    Show
    I know you need a special medicine for that, ala Eren and his dad who also ate a member of shifter titan family for another measure, but regeneration kinda counts.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Still, I wonder if a person with regeneration power can turn into a titan if he or she is eaten by them.
    No evidence that points to someone being eaten by a Titian doing anything other than dying horribly. Erin survived because his rage (and wound) finally was enough to trigger his powers and he burst out of the Titan who had eaten him. If someone like Deadpool was eaten by a Titian they would just heal up inside the Titian (while being boiled). Of course the Pool would just hack his way out and make a bad joke about it.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not specifically Marvel related, but this thread'll do.

Turns out I'm late to the party, and have just found out that there are several comic titles that I can buy on my Kindle. Now, I'm wondering if anyone here does such a thing, since Kindles don't display colour (at least my 2013 device doesn't), and so if anyone does happen to read their comics on a Kindle, does the lack of colour detract from your comic-reading experience?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I never tried reading comic books on my old black and white, but I love reading them on my kindle fire. I'm pretty sure that my old kindle wouldn't have worked well for it. Not just because the B&W thing, though that would be a big problem in any comic that wasn't originally in B&W, but also because the absence of a touch screen or mouse. My kindle's touch screen is invaluable in moving between panels and enlarging things when I want a better look at something. Sometimes when an 11x8 inch page is put on a 7 inch screen things can be overly small unless you have a way to easily enlarge. With the B&W kindles enlarging is doable but clunky and I imagine it would get old doing it repeatedly as you read a comic.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Tell that to the Titan thread. I discussed this, and the general consensus was that the overwhelming majority of the marvel universe, including modern civilian firearms and military weapons, would be woefully ineffective against the titans until they'd wiped out at least one city and could have nukes used against them, and even Nukes didn't have an assurance of working.

Though it's nice to know that for all they were trying to tell me that the Titans didn't get anything extra and Marvel didn't get a nerf bat to make this not the slaughter fest were the titans are wiped out in a couple of pages that it should be by rights, that that's EXACTLY what they did.

t209: Yeah. Those two things in the first spoiler? There on an INSANELY short list if things I like that have come about because of AoT. Those images specifically.

And if they wanted to let deadpool and spiderman swing around killing the crap out of titans with smarts, powers, weapons and banter worth having, this would have been a worth while cross over. Pity it sounds like they didn't.

Or if they just wanted to let Galactus show up and obliterate the titans with less then a thought, that would be ok too.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Goblin

Tell that to the Titan thread. I discussed this, and the general consensus was that the overwhelming majority of the marvel universe, including modern civilian firearms and military weapons, would be woefully ineffective against the titans until they'd wiped out at least one city and could have nukes used against them, and even Nukes didn't have an assurance of working.
    Please, this is clearly not in touch with things even I know. There are some fantasy mangas that could massacre the titans (FMA, Claymore) and Marvel has hundreds characters that would kill them. Pure fanboyism lik this is why I cannot take vs discussions seriously.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Please, this is clearly not in touch with things even I know. There are some fantasy mangas that could massacre the titans (FMA, Claymore) and Marvel has hundreds characters that would kill them. Pure fanboyism lik this is why I cannot take vs discussions seriously.
    The question is do you know as much as you think you know. And you CAN have a good vs discussion without fanboyism. To just dismiss the concept is not a good thing to do.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, when one side will not back down on the notion that any power level that doesn't make Late Game DBZ look puny by comparison isn't enough to credibly take out there favorite side, yeah.
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    On the other hand, when one side will not back down on the notion that any power level that doesn't make Late Game DBZ look puny by comparison isn't enough to credibly take out there favorite side, yeah.
    There's a phenomenon in Vs Threads, where you occasionally see somebody go "I'm a huge fan of X, but I have to admit that Y would win this fight", usually followed by a very well reasoned argument why X would lose.
    Whats interesting about it is that opening "I'm a huge fan of X, but", which kind of acknowledges the unspoken idea that "Vs Threads" are less about discussing the relative power levels of the two sides, and more about having a fanboy-based shouting contest with people expected to take the side that they are a bigger fan of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    The thing is, Marvel and DC kinda do make DBZ look puny by comparison. The thing with comics is that they have been running around for so long and had so many writers one-upping each other that many superheroes have absolutely insane and ridiculous accomplishments that very few mangas can match. DBZ stops somewhere around mid-tier Cosmic Marvel, while guys like Thanos wouldn't even consider them worsth their notice. Even somebody so overpowered like Anti-Spiral from Gurren Lagann would lose to guy like Odin.
    Titans? Henry Pym gros larger and stomps on them. Henry "nobody takes him seriously" Pym.

The question is do you know as much as you think you know.
    Titans are threat because the setting is actually pretty weak against them - they use medieval cannons for chrisssake.
    Spoiler: Their weak point
    Show
    Their weak point is a human being trapped inside and it is this human who has to die to permakill a titan

Correct me if I'm wrong on this - but that's something friggin Punisher can take care of.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The thing is, Marvel and DC kinda do make DBZ look puny by comparison. The thing with comics is that they have been running around for so long and had so many writers one-upping each other that many superheroes have absolutely insane and ridiculous accomplishments that very few mangas can match. DBZ stops somewhere around mid-tier Cosmic Marvel, while guys like Thanos wouldn't even consider them worsth their notice. Even somebody so overpowered like Anti-Spiral from Gurren Lagann would lose to guy like Odin.
    Titans? Henry Pym gros larger and stomps on them. Henry "nobody takes him seriously" Pym.
    Anybody with decent accuracy and high-powered ranged weapons can handle Titans if they know where to hit them, especially if they can fly.

In AoT Titans are a big threat because they don't have any ranged firepower accurate enough to reliably hit the weak spot, which makes great fight scenes in AoT, but once you get flight, or modern weapons involved, things go downhill as soon as the characters know where to shoot.

Now, lets talk about Marvel comics.

So, I've been reading Angela: Asgard's Assassin largely because I trust Kieron Gillian to tell interesting stories, and because I've found myself pulled into the whole Asgard circle of Marvel stuff.

That said, her costume was atrocious, consisting basically of a platemail bra and a belt apparently sized so as to give the impression that she may not be wearing anything underneath.

Now, they're giving her a new costume, let's take a look at it
    Spoiler
    Show

It's Better I guess. I mean, maybe we're just being spoiled. Recently, "Female Superhero Gets new costume" Has meant stuff like Captain Marvel, Spider Woman, Batgirl of Burnside, ect. Widely acclaimed redesigns with a focus on practicality and looking like something a female would actually choose to wear.

I guess it fits the character. She's a space angel asgardian whatever, so something that looks like it should be on the cover of a metal album makes sense. But I don't know, it still leaves a lot of very stabbable areas uncovered, and it looks like it would be hard to bend or move very much without poking yourself. Still, she comes from the same stock as Thor, who fights shirtless, so I guess armor isn't that much of an issue.
    Last edited by BRC; 2015-02-02 at 02:10 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

You don't even need the punisher. There are common Hunting/property defense firearms and ammo that could let a civilian with a basic sense of self preservation and just a smig of practice like he'd have gotten in owning it anyway take out multiple titans solo. That's before you get into military grade stuff that the national guard/army/airforce/ext have to bring to bear.

Sure, there will be some casualty's form unintended collateral damage by titans, and form needing time for information to be acquired and spread that you need to aim for the neck. Fine. You still probably wipe out the Titans with just modern real world stuff with fewer casualty's then AoT took in 2 Manga Chapters.

And that's not even allowing for the super factor in a comic book universe. Allowing for things like Wolverine or deadpool being able to just cut there way to the weak point form inside, Colossus and spiderman being strong enough to kill them bare handed, Cyclops or Iron man being able to just energy blast them to death, Hank Pym being able to shrink them to manageable size, Emma Frost being able to mind control them to kill one another for her, and as you said, that's not even really getting into mid tier guns like Thor, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Phoenix, Magneto, just to name a few off the top of my head.

But, no, apparently most or all of that either won't work, or would obviously work which is why Thor and Hulk and the like arn't handy for this little crossover.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Titans are threat because the setting is actually pretty weak against them - they use medieval cannons for chrisssake.
    Spoiler: Their weak point
    Show
    Their weak point is a human being trapped inside and it is this human who has to die to permakill a titan

Correct me if I'm wrong on this - but that's something friggin Punisher can take care of.
    I know what their weakness is and I also know the strengths and weaknesses of both the Titians and Marvel superhero's. And you ARE wrong. Why don't you check out the thread where it was talked about.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I know what their weakness is and I also know the strengths and weaknesses of both the Titians and Marvel superhero's. And you ARE wrong. Why don't you check out the thread where it was talked about.
    Then enlighten me, how would these midly-sized zombies be such unstoppable? How can they lose against superheroes who took bigger, nastier, more unbeatable monsters and were doing it for years? You don't need much to kill a Titan or even Titan Shifter. Fuhrer King Bradley from FMA would murder Eren without breaking a sweat and he is at best a match for Street level superheroes.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Now, lets talk about Marvel comics.

So, I've been reading Angela: Asgard's Assassin largely because I trust Kieron Gillian to tell interesting stories, and because I've found myself pulled into the whole Asgard circle of Marvel stuff.

That said, her costume was atrocious, consisting basically of a platemail bra and a belt apparently sized so as to give the impression that she may not be wearing anything underneath.

Now, they're giving her a new costume, let's take a look at it
    Spoiler
    Show

It's Better I guess. I mean, maybe we're just being spoiled. Recently, "Female Superhero Gets new costume" Has meant stuff like Captain Marvel, Spider Woman, Batgirl of Burnside, ect. Widely acclaimed redesigns with a focus on practicality and looking like something a female would actually choose to wear.

I guess it fits the character. She's a space angel asgardian whatever, so something that looks like it should be on the cover of a metal album makes sense. But I don't know, it still leaves a lot of very stabbable areas uncovered, and it looks like it would be hard to bend or move very much without poking yourself. Still, she comes from the same stock as Thor, who fights shirtless, so I guess armor isn't that much of an issue.
    If it's too implausible-looking while depicting motion or posing, they'll probably begin editing it down here or there so she's not stabbing herself from the odd-angled edges of her own armour.

As to her level of skin exposure... well, it's far from the worst I've seen. It looks like it was intended to be armour to make her look heroic rather than just somewhat-erotic metallic semi-nudity, and from a practical standpoint its difficult to raise a compelling argument that she's vulnerable that way when her previous outfit was essentially just a metal bra and some cut-off shorts.

They're trying to make her not-so-90's-that-it-hurts without completely throwing away the character's initial iconography, and that's a tall order that her initial Marvel appearance missed the mark on. It's good to see they're trying, is what I'm saying.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Like I said, it's an improvement.

Also, apparently it's one of those "Living metals that reforms to fit it's wearer" or whatever, so it can easily be changed based on the situation/maybe it moves with her to avoid stabbing her.

Also, what does she look like from the back? Her Wings should be attached somewhere, but it looks like her Hair is in front of them. Are the wings poking through her hair then fanning out? And she's got some sort of butt-cape coattails thing going on
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Then enlighten me, how would these midly-sized zombies be such unstoppable? How can they lose against superheroes who took bigger, nastier, more unbeatable monsters and were doing it for years? You don't need much to kill a Titan or even Titan Shifter. Fuhrer King Bradley from FMA would murder Eren without breaking a sweat and he is at best a match for Street level superheroes.
    As I as said, go look at the thread in question.