New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Let's build a mythology

I was thinking about real world mythologies and how they are often much weirder and more interesting than game world mythologies. One reason, I think, is that they were written not by one author, but by many, often over centuries. What we end up with are stories that shift in tone and content, even contradicting each other. Three ways the world was created. Two wives for the same god. Lineages where one god either has a son with the same name as his father or is in fact his own grandfather. Random interludes about the author's favourite culture hero, drinking songs, Just So stories...

So, I thought, how about we write one in the playground? What if we just throw the field wide open? Let's write a mythology for a new game world. Starting from absolutely nothing, and with everyone free to write whatever they want, even contradicting earlier posters (we should probably try for at least some coherency, as regards names, but even if we have three sun goddesses, this can still work.)

Anyone interested?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Let's build a mythology

Well... Why dont we start were most people dont, the moon.

The moon is carried by a massive giant known ans Ojex, the titan that brought the universe into existence from nothing with a great roar; and now flaunts the most brilliant and perfect jewel in the world on his back.
    Sry, for any delays; its not my intarnet... its probobly thr fact I spend several minuts spell checing miself.

also, trilobites are awesome, no questions asked.

Sorcerer in the playground, horror to bandits and wizards alike.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Hmmm. Sticking with the night sky...

As Ojex ripped the moon from the earth, shards of rock pierced the dark night sky. Through these holes in creation demons found their way into the world. Now Ojex spends each night searching for holes in the sky to plug with great gems and for falling stars where the wounds have been forced open by creatures who would defile what he has wrought.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

The first of the demons to enter into the world was Sorizeks, and after battling with Ojex for four hundred days was slain. His body collapsed into the seas, and became Sori Island. His crystalized blood once mined from the island is the source of the crystal dust used in enchantment of items and minds.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jendekit View Post
    The first of the demons to enter into the world was Sorizeks, and after battling with Ojex for four hundred days was slain. His body collapsed into the seas, and became Sori Island. His crystalized blood once mined from the island is the source of the crystal dust used in enchantment of items and minds.
    The second demon to emerge was Soldessa. Upon seeing the body of her brother laid low, she knew Ojex could not be conquered in a direct confrontation.

So, she did the smart thing, and ran. Her flaming body's power snuffs out all other demon portals and illuminates the sky, leaving all the glory for herself. Simultaneously, Ojex is distracted from closing the portals in his pursuit of Soldessa, leaving them in the night.
    “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.” - Jack Handy
    [My Homebrew] Chinese Fantastical Monster Fighting, Yay!: Hunters of Meng Xiang - Main Info - HMX Discussion Thread
    First Game (Archived): IC -- OOC
    DeviantArt Gallery

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by NyuBomber View Post
    The second demon to emerge was Soldessa. Upon seeing the body of her brother laid low, she knew Ojex could not be conquered in a direct confrontation.

So, she did the smart thing, and ran. Her flaming body's power snuffs out all other demon portals and illuminates the sky, leaving all the glory for herself. Simultaneously, Ojex is distracted from closing the portals in his pursuit of Soldessa, leaving them in the night.
    The third to emerge was majorly anticlimactic. It was an imp named Tarthus. Unnoticed by Ojex, Tarthus spawned many monsters, including the first goblins and kobolds.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2014-08-25 at 12:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

The fourth and last demon was Raava, who was the wiliest of all. She prostrated herself before Ojex and asked for his mercy, offering her service if only he let her live in his world, so she should prosper in the light of creation.
    Ojex agreed, but only under the condition that he would shatter her mortal form into a thousand thousand parts, so none of them would have the power to harm him.
    She agreed, and he took her body and from it fashioned all the vermin that crawls upon the Earth and flies in the skies, and swims in the seas.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Now there was relative piece, as minor imps and demons crept forth from the holes, but Ojex was quick to plug up these tears in reality. However Ojex became lonely and desired a bride. Reaching deep into the heart of the Earth, where the eternal fires that give rise to the great volcanos, Ojex brought forth a Fire Heart, from which he crafted Phenir, She of the Golden hair, the Lady of the Dawn. Her creation cast many embers up to the sky, creating the First Constellations. However, she wanted little to do with Ojex, fleeing him soon after she was with child. She hid under Phenir's Rest, or Mount Phenirhame as it is more commonly known and gave birth to two children: Phoenix and Moonhorse, which is also called the Unicorn.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The peace was fractured when a massive portal opened at the bottom of the ocean. This portal was anchored open by a giant tentacled monster called Rehanin. It took five years for Ojex to destroy the beast and seal the tear, and in that time, something happened. The heavy exposure to the escaping essence of the demon-place caused two godly sons to burst from his knees.

However, the leftover essence consolidated and formed a consciousness that had complete power over a new form of energy called magic. This consciousness became a deity of gargantuan knowledge and power, but had the wisdom and personality of a chaotic child. The deity took the form of a female human teenager and is called Lesendra.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2014-08-27 at 02:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

We really don't need to stay chronological, by the way.

The Sons of Ojex

Ojex had two sons born from his feet. They were the twins, Fire and Light. At first Ojex was delighted.
    But as he saw them grow, he knew they would be his equal and more, and he feared that they would rise against him and challenge his dominion over rock and water and sky.
    And so he separated them.
    Fire, he took far below the Earth and imprisoned him in chains of raw iron and cold stone. Ever the more angry of the two, Fire starting raging and against his chains, shaking the entire Earth, and he spat liquid flame through the bars, but he could not break them.
    Light, Ojex took beyond the vaults of the sky. As Light was calmer than his fiery twin, but more wise and shrewd, him he bound with the constellations of the sky and with the fates they foretell. To this day, Light is gone from the Earth and we can only see his traces shining through the holes left by the assault of demons.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    The third to emerge was majorly anticlimactic. It was an imp named Tarthus. Unnoticed by Ojex, Tarthus spawned many monsters, including the first goblins and kobolds.
    Not chronological? Awesome.
    However, this mythology needs more generalization, sexuality and blood yet.

Tarthus, although an imp, was an infamous but refined womanizer. He had a special taste for married women. After all, it is general knowledge women are oversexed, not-to-be-trusted creatures with no regards for the emotions and love of their poor, loyal husbands.
    On day, Tarthus seduced the wife of king Iclomede by pulling a sheep skin over his imp body (yeah, well, sheep are an improvement to imps, I guess?). After they gained... carnal knowledge of eachother, Tarthus fled and the wife of Iclomede gave birth to a woolly baby. Iclomede, upon seeing the child, smote it directly to death, thereby calling upon himself the wrath and hatred of sheep throughout the world. The sheep rode to war and laid siege to his entire country for over 30 years. Hundreds of massacres and horrible battles ensued.
    Last edited by Murk; 2014-08-27 at 07:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Absolutely not. Being inconsistent is half the point.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post

However, this mythology needs more generalization, sexuality and blood yet.

Tarthus, although an imp, was an infamous but refined womanizer. He had a special taste for married women. After all, it is general knowledge women are oversexed, not-to-be-trusted creatures with no regards for the emotions and love of their poor, loyal husbands.
    On day, Tarthus seduced the wife of king Iclomede by pulling a sheep skin over his imp body (yeah, well, sheep are an improvement to imps, I guess?). After they gained... carnal knowledge of eachother, Tarthus fled and the wife of Iclomede gave birth to a woolly baby. Iclomede, upon seeing the child, smote it directly to death, thereby calling upon himself the wrath and hatred of sheep throughout the world. The sheep rode to war and laid siege to his entire country for over 30 years. Hundreds of massacres and horrible battles ensued.
    Wow. I finally have a good quote for my signature. Thank you sir.

14. - Top - End - #14

I propose Tharthus (I did not look up how to spell that name) as this mythology's trickster god.

Tharthus and the Moon

Having completed the sixth task, Tharthus once again bowed to Ojex and said:
    "Six times you have challenged me and six times I have bested you. Bring on your last challenge, mighty roarer."
    And looking upon the little Imp, Ojex spoke:
    "Very well. I will give you a challenge that you won't be able to get out of by trickery. You must wrestle me and win the moon from me."

Tharthus paled, but then gathered himself and spoke:
    "Yes, mighty roarer. But I ask you for a boon. Give me one month of time, to train myself."

Ojex, fearing treachery, frowned. "I will give you half a month, he said. And to make it so you can not interfere with the moon, I will turn her face away from you."

So he blackened the moon and proceeded carrying it across the sky.

Every day, Tharthus feigned wrestling, though he only fought the weakest animals, the vermin of the earth and air, who, being of demonic nature themselves, worked with him. Ojex, seeing this display of weakness, roared with laughter when even the lowly fruit fly bested Tharthus. THus amused, his attention slipped.

Tharthus, however, smiled. Because on his third task, he had befriended the wind, the fastest of Ojex' children. He bade the wind carry his words to the moon, so he could speak with her.

Though her face was dark, every day, the Wind carried flattering words and compliments from Tharthus to the moon, who, though virtuous, still slowly began to listen. Every night, she turned her face a little more back towards the Earth, to sneak a glance at the little imp who was winning her heart. But Thalthus hid himself in deep caves where no moonlight could fall, for he knew that curiosity would work just as well as compliments.

Finally, when half a month was up and the moon had turned her full face to searching for Thalthus, Ojex spoke again:

"Imp! Two weeks are up! Come and face me!"

And Thalthus obliged, stepping into the moonlight for the first time.

"Imp! Wrestle me now! Win the moon from me!"

"I need not do that, mighty smith of mountains, for I have already won the moon."

Ojex roared in anger.

"I still hold the moon! How dare you lie, Imp!"

But Thalthus smiled.

"Not so, powerful Lord of Storms. You may hold her body, still, but I have her ear and her love."

Ojex paled. "Tell me that is not so, daughter!"

But as he turned to look on the moon, he saw that she was no longer the pale jewel he knew, but, in shame or love or both, had blushed a deep red. And he knew that the imp had beaten him a seventh time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    A really cool trickster myth
    That's the kind of myth I was hoping to see when I saw the original post on this thread. An epic tale, larger-than-life deeds that make sense on some levels but not others, and open-ended hooks referencing other tales that may or may not be recorded. I'm hoping to write some of this kind of thing when I have a bit more time.

The only thing that's missing is a tie-in to the world as the people who speak the myth know it. Many (but not all) myths explain why things in the world are the way they are. We have a bunch of creation myth bits, but this seems like a prime myth for explaining something. So I propose to add:

To this day, Tarthus continues to send loving messages to the moon on occasion, whether to further aggravate Ojex or because the imp has developed true feelings for the moon in return, only the imp could say. Most of this flirtation remains hidden from the Great Titan's view, but once in a while, Tarthus' words strike particularly close to the moon's heart, and she blushes deep red once more. If Ojex notices this, he flies into a rage. However, Tarthus won immunity to Ojex's wrath long ago, and he loves his moon-daughter too much to hurt her, so he turns his anger to the world below in frustration.

When the moon turns red, all people know it as an ill portent. Natural disasters often follow these events - storms, earthquakes, blights, or any of countless other signs of the Great Titan's ire. It is not guaranteed - Ojex sometimes looks away from the moon's face and doesn't notice her flushed cheeks - but the mortal peoples of the world prepare for difficult times nonetheless.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hey, I did explain things. Mostly, why the moon turns from light to dark and back once a month. And why it is red on occasion. Still, the addition is nice.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-08-27 at 01:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hey, I did explain things. Mostly, why the moon turns from light to dark and back once a month. And why it is red on occasion. Still, the addition is nice.
    ... you're right. Oops. Sorry.

I'm gonna blame it on jetlag. That's a valid excuse for being dumb on the internet, right?
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

18. - Top - End - #18

On one fateful night, as Ojax (intentional misspelling) was busy fitting the glittergems into the holes of reality, one came lose, and fell to the earth. The glittergem cracked upon reaching the ground, and out fell a thousand shards, and amid them, one young woman with hair of fire, glittering white eyes, and skin that shimmered in the night. This was Ilvalis, She of the Voiceless Whispers, and she was the daughter of Lady Night and Lady Moon, through means unknown to mortals. Ilvalis was a powerful witch, and as she began to roam the lands she controlled the hearts and minds of many, until she had gathered about a veritable army.

Then, she declared that Ojax should no longer be the master of the world, but rather she, for her beauty and grace were infinite, and her followers loyal. Ojax was furious at this, and sought to destroy Ilvalis for her arrogance, but was coerced by Vaor the wordsmith to instead settle this dispute with a contest, one chosen by a third party, such as himself. Ojax trusted the wordsmith, but was unaware that he too had been caught up the power of Ilvalis, and so when the time came to decide the contest, Vaor chose a contest of beauty, which of course Ojax could not win against She of the Shimmering Glory, as her followers had so named her. But Ojax's daughter, the wise owl Renala, aided him by pointing out that if Ilvalis could use her magical beauty in the contest, then Ojax should be allowed to use his own powers, to create beautiful things to compete with Ilvalis. Vaor reluctantly accepted this, and so the contest began.

First, Ilvalis displayed herself with a gown of woven starlight, dazzling all watchers and permanently giving light to the Field of Enemnor. In response, Ojax brought forth the Sun River, which flowed through the field and outshone even Ilvalis's gown. After consideration, the watchers chose Ojax as the victor.

Second, Ilvalis gathered a dress made of the night itself, dark, mysterious, and alluring. Ojax now brought to creation a vast pine tree, its needles shimmering dusky purple, its bark most caliginous black, and named it the Tree of Eternal Darkness. This time the watchers chose Ilvalis, and with one vote for each, the third round would be the last.

In the final round of the contest, Ilvalis stepped before those gathered completely nude, showing the true majesty of her shimmering body. Ojax created a diamond tree to try and compete, but it was clear to him that Ilvalis had won. But they had all forgotten about the unique means that Ilvalis entered the world...

For in the sky, there was still a hole in reality, one of the first to be plugged, and containing one of the worst of the lesser demons, a creature known only as the Korruptria, a being that could possess bodies. The Korruptria had waited, but now it leaped out of the hole and into Ilvalis, turning her body flinty and dark, her eyes shining red and her hair misty blackness. The watchers were so repulsed by this change they immediately declared Ojax the victor, and he struck down Ilvalis with all his might.

But this strike, though brutal, allowed the now weak and broken Ilvalis to crawl back to the glittergem she had come in, and she climbed inside, resting.

From that time forward, the Mountain of Crystal and the Field of Shards have stood, gleaming white and brilliant, but once a year, when Ilvalis is weak, the Korruptria comes out, and the crystals turn black with a deep, red glow, signaling that on that night, evil shall wrack the world.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jumping around with chronology a bit.

One day Yleni - daughter of Melkis, son of Varen, son of Tresh who grew from the flower of the diamond tree - came to the lands of of the Redderdelve. There she found the forestfolk in much despair, openly weeping with their fires unlit and their orchards untended.

"What ill has befallen you, that you despair so?" she asked them, for she knew from her time with The Urskin Warden that such displays were unbecoming of the forestfolk.
    "Oh much ill indeed, traveler," the forestfolk answered. "For three days now the sun has not moved, and the Redderdelve is trapped within the shade of sunset."
    Yleni looked and saw that this was so. The sun indeed was fixed halfway through setting, providing too little light for crops, but too much for the creatures of the night.
    "This will not do," Yleni said and stamped her foot, for all things, even Duskwalkers, know that the sun must move. "I will go to Sunspinner and put this right."
    The forestfolk thanked her and, after filling her waterskin, she set off for the mountain that Sunspinner called home. After much time she reached the cave at the mountain's top, where Sunspinner dwelt.

"Sunspinner," She said. "Why is the sun still?"
    "I cannot move it." Sunspinner said, turning to Yleni with sorrow in her eyes. "Someone has taken hold of my silk, and I cannot pull the sun."
    Yleni looked and saw that this was so. The strand of silk that tethers the sun to the earth was slack in Sunspinner's hands, and not matter how much it was pulled the sun did not move.
    "This will not do," Yleni said, for all things, even Duskwalkers, know that the sun must move. So she left Sunspinner's home and climbed to the very summit. There she saw that Sunspinner's silken thread was trapped beneath the feet of two large warriors who stood with spears held at each other's throats.
    "Who are you?" Yleni asked. "Why do you stand on the sun-chord?"
    "I am Phennrit, Champion of the day." said the first "And I am here to lengthen the day, for it is too short."
    "I am Ilvarex, Champion of the Night." said the second. "And I am here to shorten the day, for it is too long."

"But then why halt the sun?" Yleni asked. "Surely this is worse for both of you than the day's normal passage?"
    "Indeed it is," said Phennrit. "And I would strike this fool down and let it move again if he did not also have his spear to my throat."
    "And neither of us can move," said Ilvarex "For the other would trip him with the chord and finish him. So we must remain here until this oaf relents."

Yleni was not pleased by this news, for the stubbornness of the warriors was clear. Both would stay there until they died, and when they did their heavy bodies would leave the silk trapped forever.
    "Perhaps instead you should settle this in a contest." She said. "Whomsoever of you can throw his spear the furthest shall win."
    Both warriors agreed this would be fair, as each wished the other's spear taken from his own throat.
    "But how will we judge who has made the greatest throw?" asked Phennrit.
    "Yes, I will not abandon the thread until the winner is declared." said Ilvarex.
    "I will call the King of Finches and the Queen of Moths." Yleni said. "They shall judge who has thrown the furthest."

So Yleni blew upon her whistle of of reed and her whistle of bone, while the two warriors took their positions and threw their spears. The King of Finches followed Phrennit's spear, and saw it strike the peninsula one hundred leagues to the south, cutting off the island of Scarwood from the land. The Queen of Moths followed Ilvarex's spear, and saw it strike the great river one hundred leagues to the north, splitting it apart to form the Silvermere.

Hearing that their spears had traveled the same distance, the two warriors fell to fighting with their bare hands, falling upon the ground and letting the chord free. Yet still the sun did not move.
    Yleni climbed down to Sunspinner's home. There she found Sunspinner had dropped the thread, and was pressing her arms against the roof of her home.
    "Help me," Sunspinner cried, "If this fighting continues I will be crushed!"
    Ylemi looked and saw that it was so. The warriors above were struggling with such fury that the ground was shaking, and would soon tear Sunspinner's home apart.

"Give me a waterskin," Yleni said, "And I will see to it this fight stops."
    Sunspinner handed her a waterskin made of silk, and Yleni climbed back to the summit. She held the waterskins out and warriors, having each a great thirst, paused in their brawling. As Phennrit drank from the silken waterskin, Yleni approached Ilvarex.
    "You are both too strong," Yleni said "And will flatten the mountain before your fight ends. But if you yield, then I can show you a trick that will let you steal his victory."
    Ilvarex was proud, and disliked the idea of yielding. But he saw the wisdom in Yleni's words, and the thought of making a fool of Phennrit pleased him greatly. So it was that when both champions had finished drinking and set about to struggling again, Ilvarex soon surrendered.

Phennrit, overcome by his triumph, ran down to Sunspinner's home to lengthen the sun-chord and thus extend the day. Yelni, meanwhile, told Ilvarex her plan.
    "Phennrith will make the day much longer," she said, "But he will not notice a small change. If you shorten the chord by a small amount each sunset, you can shorten the day without him ever realising it."
    "Your trick is a good one," Ilvarex said. "Phennrit would never notice it. But he has good eyes, and even if I go quietly he is sure to see me. With so little night, I will not be strong enough to face him should he catch me."
    In answer, Yleni blew upon her whistle of bone and called the Queen of Moths.

"Gather your servants the fireflies," Yleni told the queen, "And have them put on a display every evening, so that Phennrith's eyes will be distracted and he will not think to look upon Sunspinner's home."
    The Queen of Moths agreed and every evening her fireflies danced their display, while Ilvarex crept down and shortened the chord by a small amount. By the time midwinter came, the silk chord was far shorter than it had been before the champions had first arrived and the sun was in the sky for but a short time. Then Ilvarex came to Yleni again.
    "Your trick has worked well," he said, "But now I must return to my lands, to bring news of our victory."
    "Then go," Yleni said, "And I will stay here to make sure all continues as it should."
    Ilvarex thanked her, and set off down the mountain.

Once he had gone, Yleni climbed through the snow, left unmelted by the sun, to where Phennrit sat shivering.
    "You have been tricked," she said, "Ilvarex has stolen the day from you."
    Upon hearing this Phennrit grew furious, and seeing it was true lunged at Yleni. But with so little daylight he was greatly weakened, and Yleni was able to best him with a single blow from her walking staff.
    So humbled, the Champion of the Day fell to his knees and began to wail in despair at his defeat.
    "Calm yourself," Yleni told him. "There is a way you can still outsmart him. If you hush I will show you a trick that will let you steal the day back from Ilvarex."

Phennrit thought himself an honourable soul, and he disliked the idea of stooping to trickery. However, his despair made him desperate, and the idea of making a fool of Ilvarex, who had so humiliated him, pleased him.
    "Ilvarex has made the day short indeed," Yleni said, "So short that he will not notice a small change. If you lengthen the chord a short amount each sunrise, then you can lengthen the day without him ever realising it."
    "Your trick is a good one," Phennrit said, "Ilvarex would never notice it. But he was good ears, and even if I go unseen he is sure to hear me. With so little day I will not be able to face him should he return."
    In answer, Yleni blew upon her whistle of of reed and called the King of Finches.

"Gather the rest of the birds," Yleni told the king, "And have them sing every morning so that Ilvarex's ears will be distracted and he will not hear what happens in Sunspinner's home."
    The King of Finches agreed, and every morning the birds sang their songs, while Phennrit crept down and lengthened the chord by a small amount. By the time midsummer came, the chord was as long as it had been when Phennrit had first increased it, and the sun was in the sky for a long time. Then Phennrit came to Yleni.
    "Your trick has worked well," he said, "But now I must return to my lands, to bring news of my victory."
    "Then go," Yleni said, "And I will stay here to make sure all continues as it should."
    Phennrit thanked her, and set off down the mountain.

Once he had gone, Yleni climbed back to Sunspinner's home.
    "Shorten the day until next midwinter," Yleni told her. "Then lengthen the day until midsummer. Then both champions will think themselves the victor and leave the chord undisturbed."
    Sunspinner agreed and Yleni returned to the Redderdelve where there was much celebration, for all things know that the sun must move.

So it is that the day grows longer and shorter throughout the year, and so it is that the birds will sing and the fireflies dance for as long as the sun moves.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-08-30 at 09:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

From the Deeds of Nun Mak Mora

In his seventeenth year, Nun Mak Nora came to Fort Lul in the land of the Hyxians. The champion of the fort came forth, in his armor of rope, and called to Nun Mak Nora, saying, "Who are you, stranger, with your burnt left hand?"

Nun Mak Nora said, "I am he who strangled the Bear of Seven Claws, and tore the head from the serpent of Naa."

The champion in his armor of rope said, "Then you are mighty as measured against the beasts of the wild. Come, test your strength against the beasts of the earth. Come, and test your might against a man of Hyxia."

Nun Mak Mora grew wroth, and cast his javelin, but the champion in his armor of rope moved, breeze swift, and the weapon flew over his left shoulder, striking the ground and plowing a great furrow.

"Well cast, but I did not ask you to till the ground, but to test your strength against me."

Nun Mak Mora flushed red with anger, and drew his sword, charging towards the champion. The champion raised his shield, breeze-swift, and struck out at Nun Mak Mora's sword. The sword flew from his grasp, and cleft a a boulder in twain.

"Truly," said the champion in his armor of rope, "I see that no dumb animal nor mute stone can stand against your arm.

Nun Mak Mora howled with rage, and raised his burnt and blackened left hand, and the champion's heart swelled and burst within his chest. He fell, with blood flowing from his mouth and from his nostrils. Nun Mak Mora saw was he had done in his rage, and was ashamed. He fled into the wilderness of Shabal.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

And the Moon had given birth to 3 children. Child of the Snow, Child of the Fire, and Child of the Rain. These 3 children ran amuck the land, but in their wake they left a more diverse and habitable land.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

All great mythologies need some self-important asshat to try and write the "Definitive" version. And I take it upon myself to start this chronicling, that of Divo, a writer in the kind of culture that would call others "barbarians" and talk about the TRUE history that only they knew. Hope it doesn't tread on too many toes, tried to include as many of the beginning stories as possible.

"Let it be known that, amongst all of man, there shall always be three types present: there are those that see what is around them, and listen. They are the preists. There are those that see what is around them, and ignore. They are the kings. There are those that see what is around them, and question. They are the scriveners."-Balenot's Humanities, lecture 3
    AN ACCOUNTING OF THE WORLDS TRUTHS
    DOVI
    LECTURE 1
    In the beginning there was only Ojex, the darkness of the night sky, and we know this for Ojex means "all". She laid in herself for countless millenia, with naught but her thoughts. Eventually, she grew tired of herself, and deemed to create further beings, that where of herself but not herself. And these four beings she created: sorizeks of her hand, soldessa of her feet, Tarthus of her head, and raava of her knees. And for a time, she was pleased, as where her children, and so Ojex became Ans Ojex, or "before all".
    Once, while Ans Ojex slept, for she was a mighty being and required much of it, her four children became restless. Thier mother was not their to play with them and, much like the children they where, they needed to be amused. So, they set to great mischief, and hatched a plan to awaken her mother. Sorizeks would strike her upon the face, Soldessa would cut a piece from her, Tarthus would arouse her, and Raava would beg her forgiveness afterwords. The three active children played their parts. Sorizeks struck, Soldessa tore, and Tarthus aroused.
    Ans Ojex was mighty, as was her awakening. The titan awoke in a furor, and cried out, rippling the very essence of herself with her volume. The three children, laughing, fled from their mother, leaving Raava behind. Raava prayed forgiveness for her siblings, as she always did, kneeling before the titan and begging. Ans Ojex was not in a listening mood, and in her great rage she struck her daughter, shattering the impudent being into a thousand thousand pieces.
    the three remaining children heard the shattering and, seeing what their mother had done, continued to flee, but there was nowhere TOO flee, for all but themselves was Ans Ojex. Ans Ojex, realizing what she had done, howled in rage, vowing vengeance upon her children that had caused her to commit this wrong. Tarthus, ever clever as he was unwise, concocted a plan. Sorizeks would fly forward, smiting his mother once more in a distraction. Meanwhile Tarthus and Soldessa would use the pieces and fluids of Ans Ojex they had obtained to created something NOT her, where they could all hide. It was agreed upon, and all went to their appointed tasks.
    Sorizeks flew forward to meet his mother in combat, and struck her again and again. But Ans Ojex was a being that had once been all, and but for the surprise of her children attacking her, she was little hurt. She struck down Sorizeks, shattering him also in a thousand thousand pieces, and chased her two remaining children.
    Soldessa and Tarthus worked all the harder to finish their hiding place, once they heard the sound of the second shattering. Soldessa worked inward, as was part of the plan, crafting the interior of the great sphere. Tarthus, meanwhile, worked the exterior, crafting the surface as he saw fit. Soon, Soldessa had finished her work, but found herself at a loss. She had worked towards the center, where she now sat, but she had been left no way out in the plans, just as her brother had intended. Soldessa howled with rage, and slammed against the cage of dirt and iron, but to no avail. So great was her anger that her body alighted in flame, but the iron and dirt did not bend and break for her.
    Tarthus, on the surface, laughed merrily at his victory. His Mother Ans Ojex, having never conceived of anything herself or created by her, was baffled by this new sphere, but thought nothing of it, deciding to address it only after she had found her children to punish. Safe in his newest place, HIS place, Tarthus declared himself the new Ojex. He collected the shattered pieces of his sister Raava, and crafted 5 new children, one more then his mother had, 5 as docile and forgiving as his sister had been. The sheep, the turtle, the carp, the beetle, and the chicken. And they quickly spread about the world and inhabited it. Then Tarthus gathered the pieces of his brother Sorizeks, and crafted 5 children, as violent and able as he. The Caranite, the Murgothi, the Koboldan, the Gobbloni, the humanity.
    But Tarthus was not a great ruler, only a tyrant. And soon his docile creations spread and changed and became less docile, and his violent creations became less so, settling and gathering together. Soon, his children had spread across his kingdom, the sphere, and they created such a racket that Ans Ojex heard.
    Ans Ojex descended upon the new world, and threatened to crush all she saw. But Tarthus, clever as always, made a deal. If his world would be allowed to live, he would serve Ans Ojex for 7 great duties, and would lead Ans Ojex to her last child. Ans Ojex agreed, and cracked the sphere nearly in twain, but leaving it's parts together, looking for her child.
    Soldessa, finally free, shot forth from her prison, and struck the first thing she saw, and that was Ans Ojex. But, unlike her brother, she succeeded in harming the mighty titan. For in all the great black darkness of the sky, there was no fire. Ans Ojex howled once more, and retreated, chased by Soldessa, who splattered her hide with fires.
    Ans Ojex howled Fell back, far beyond the borders of the sphere, but no further, for there was nowhere else to go but herself and the sphere. With her she took Tarthus, the unfortunate child, and gave him his first task: to help her create a new group of children, not of herself but of herself. Tarthus paled, for surely coupling with Ans Ojex would simply destroy him, and asked that he be allowed to return to his kingdom to study how this may be done, and Ans Ojex allowed this, Never having been lied to before.
    Tarthus returned to the world, and to Soldessa, and proposed to her that he help her bear a new batch of children, greater then his own creations. Though Soldessa and Tarthus both knew that Tarthus would be burned to death by the coupling, Soldessa agreed.
    And so Tarthus told each of his paramours to close thier eyes, and to come to him on the surface of his words. The two mighty women met and, eyes closed, embraced one another, much to Tarthus's relief and delight. Once they where done they opened their eyes, and each screamed in rage, and fled back to their places in shame. Soldessa renamed herself Phenir, the sun, and promised that if she ever saw the face of Tarthus again in the sun, she would smite him. And so Tarthus travels during the day in a mask, but during the night in his true form. Ans Ojex swore that if he ever entered her again, she would smite him, and so Tarthus is trapped on his own creation, hiding.
    Both of the mighty ladies gave birth. Phenir to the Phoenix, the eternal, and Moonhorse, who guards the night. Phenir strode around the globe, where her children now lived, using her mighty fire to protect it from the depredations of the every angry Ans Ojex.
    Ans Ojex, the mightier of the two, gave birth to many. The first, and greatest, was her daughter the moon, who she bears about in her always to protect from her less obedient children. The others, she hides in herself, releasing when the time is right from the fires in her hide, and hiding those fires with gems when it is not. These are called "demons", and the plague the world just as phenir's children and their children and their children's children protect it.
    And so the world was formed, and the first age the age of Ans Ojex ended. The second age, the age of Phenir, began.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by coffeedog14 View Post
    snip
    Blasphemy! Everyone knows that Tarthus is a fox-eyed old witch and Ojex is a great iron-black bear!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Okay, the fact that "Ans Ojek" came from a spelling error is too much for me. That is hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Excerpt from the Gir Adev, banned book in the successor states to the Mercol Empire.
    And in the year 437 Ilvalis, Witch Queen of the Epeste Horde made war on the lands of Mercol. So said King Agemethstes ''Let's us gather our arms and meet this villain in the field so that her barbarian scourge may be laid low.'' And Lord Gathes, broad of shoulders, replied ''Let it be so.'' And Prince Melcos, of steady courage, answered ''Let it be so.'' And High Priest Ojexoses, most devoted and wise, said "Let it be so.'' And so forth from all the myriad lords and princes of the lands of Mercol....

And upon the fields of Amherstii, Prince Melcos did meet the barbarian sorceress to avenge his father, may he live always in our hearts. And thrice on that day the barbarians charged, and thrice on that day their charge was broken. And it came to pass that Prince Melcos met the witch in single combat. She faced him with her magic, and it was of no avail against one blessed by Ojex. And she whispered her poisoned words of seduction, and it was of no avail against one who had studied the ways of wily Tarthus. And she met him with steel, and it was of no use against the student of Etselcos. Seeing her doom she fled, but her horse was wounded, she cast her spells, but her demons abandoned her, she prayed in desperation, but no gods would hear her. Before the day was done the Blessed of Ojex raised his great hammer and smote her upon her head, and thus ended the heresy of Ilvasis.

Excerpt from the Libelleton, sacred text of the Holy Mercol Empire.
    And it came to pass that all the wicked nations of the worlds rose against blessed Ilvasis and brought their arms against her. Thrice She of the Shimmering Glory sent her armies away to spare them, and thrice they refused the order. "My beloved children I have found a way to defeat the heathens, but I can not save you. Leave me and let them take me.'' And they stayed as she left to surrender herself to the leaders of the barbarian alliance. But her warriors loyalty was too great and they followed her in secret, and made battle against the barbarian horde. Though the Shimmering Legion was mighty and righteous, the barbarians were too great in number. The lady set them to retreat, she then feigned to cover their retreat. She sought out Melcos the Blasphemer and asked for single combat, but the knave had her struck with arrows rather than face her as an equal. But all was as She of the Voiceless Whispers had planned. Her servant Tarthus had already spirited her soul away to the palace of Mercol. Clever Tarthus took the form of Melcos and said to Princess Aldennara ''Come wife I have need of your warm bussoms.'' and laid with her. Soon the Princess Aldennara was with child, who was Ilvasis.

And it came to pass in the year 463 that Princess Mercia, She who is Ilvasis, refused all suitors and took the crown as Queen Regent Mercia Ilvasis Thaomestes Te Mercollos I. And the blessed lady did free the Epestian people from their bondage by the Mercol Empire. And the blessed lady smote the priests of the heresies and rededicated their temples to Ilvasis. And taxes were levied on those that refused to reject the lies of the Ojessians. And the Shimmering Age did begin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think as this grows longer, we need someone to catalogue the major elements together, almost like a mythology book. Maybe the thread creator can put it in the first post? Like the essential who's who in the world and some major myths. Of course in order for it to look good, it will have to be written in the perspective of someone teaching people of this world the history/mythology behind it.

The Fall of The Fourth Age

Creation, no matter how glorious, must stem from the annihilation of old.
    -Proverb, unknown.

Ages before the youngest realm was so assiduously crafted by the titan Ojex out of the raw elements and the barren plain that once lay; there existed pathways between many worlds. These pathways met in a great pavilion, created by beings long forgotten. It was of a glorious design, clearly built by masters. The pavilion remained a neutral ground, an asset for travelers, and a place to inspire greatness. It stayed this way for eons, it seemed, under the watch of it's guardian, an nameless and mighty golem whose construction matched the pavilion in care and brilliance. This golem would rise from the very walls themselves and defend its home if ever the need arise. The threat of this force was so great, that it was not needed in centuries. Or so it would seem to the many beings that crossed its golden terraces and shimmering gates. This peace would not last long, as the ambition of one person grew ever greater.

In a blank realm of only shifting grey skies and dust, the once great Emperor, Mawrlgre, crafted another plan. This time, his plans would not be simple plots or meaningless shows of arrogance and force. No, this was to be a calculated and wonderful plan. One that would shake the foundations of the universe if done correctly. And he knew it would be done correctly. All that was needed were the pieces to fall into his reach. He first motioned his hand across the dust and created wind. From the turned up dust rose a figure, kneeling before him, out of innocence more than respect. Mawrlgre drew up his own shadow into his hand, and clothed the ashen figure in it. "You will serve my needs flawlessly" Mawlgre said. It was the first time he had spoken in what felt like decades. He gave the figure a name: Gwedwyst. After being encompassed by the shadow, Gwedwyst rose up, imbued with the purpose of its master, as well as the powers of illusion, and set out to leave the pale realm that bound its master.

Knowing only the art of deceit, and the purpose of a dangerous creature, Gwedwyst, travelled for days until reaching the flowering realm, Zlatrav. Assuming the guise of a weakened traveller, Gwedwyst made no trouble reaching the center of the land, its only city. He knocked on the door to a house, and the door was flung wide open. The traveller was warmly invited inside, as was custom.

(I need sleep. I can't even say that I will finish it tomorrow it is so late. It is already tomorrow here. Goodnight, and keep up the great ideas. Soon, the possibly epic conclusion of the Fall of the Fourth Age. sorry about the names, they are my least favorite part of coming up with things like this. I just took loosely translated combinations of words in Welsh and other languages.)
    Last edited by FallenFallcrest; 2014-10-01 at 01:01 AM. Reason: To actually make a contribution
    In DnD you find a lot about people. I found out that my friends are willing to let someone die in order to salvage and sell the arrow piercing his chest.