New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Assess these flaws

I'd post this in homebrew, but since I'm not the creator I thought here would be more appropriate: http://www.oocities.org/valmothg/Flaws.pdf

As far as I can tell by skimming over them they seem to be quite interesting and balanced. I'd say that Bestial Instinct isn't really a flaw for the monk (but then again, it's not like the monk is OP), but the problem is the druid which focuses a lot on wild shape.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Assess these flaws

In addition to what you noted, bravado might suffer from the fact that I don't think dodge bonuses are so common that they're nigh-universally taken, divine gestures does next to nothing to archivists, cloistered clerics, and druids, free spirited could be situationally meaningless, fussy doesn't do much due to the suboptimal nature of potions, loss of heritage has some obviously powerful applications (I think the buoman's inability to speak may count, and there are abilities out there that do very little), metal intolerance doesn't seem all that bad, pride of arms just fits in with general melee doings, and slow healing doesn't hit all that hard.

Cold and hot blooded might also be a bit overpowered, though I'm not all that sure how common temperature changing effects are. In any case, I'd probably adapt or remove most or all of the ones on that list, and maybe a couple of others. Some of the ones that hit skills might not be especially meaningful, and there are some weird items on the list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Code of Arms: -4 to hit against enemies who are unarmed. Does not apply to enemies who have natural attacks. Unarmed strikes are natural attacks. Therefore, this flaw has no penalty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, first, they're not homebrew; they're from Dragon. Hence linking to them is I advisable on this forum.

That said, I find very few of them I'd allow. Some are too easy to get around (e.g. Brash, Arcane Performer) and some are so debilitating as to make them not worth it (e.g. Coward, Fool, Superstitious).
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Well, first, they're not homebrew; they're from Dragon. Hence linking to them is I advisable on this forum.

That said, I find very few of them I'd allow. Some are too easy to get around (e.g. Brash, Arcane Performer) and some are so debilitating as to make them not worth it (e.g. Coward, Fool, Superstitious).
    Alright, so which would you allow?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Conundrum, Beady Eyes, Curious, Free Spirited, Glory Hound, Grudge Keeper, Haunted, Light Sensitivity, Loudmouth, Phantom Sparks, and Restricted Sorcery look mostly okay. There are a couple others that I might be okay with in specific circumstances, but not on a regular basis.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

i have a flaw that i have been allowed to use and allow others to use.

name it what you want, but you can never consume any meal that costs less (or worth less) than 5gp. or you become permanently sickened until you receive an atonement spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I actually always use that list. I generally use Insomniac (not on warforged/other sleepless character, and generally on low-fort classes), Chivalrous Courtesy (which I also apply to RP), and Solitary Paragon (applied to a former gladiator)
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Code of Arms: -4 to hit against enemies who are unarmed. Does not apply to enemies who have natural attacks. Unarmed strikes are natural attacks. Therefore, this flaw has no penalty.
    Unarmed Strikes are not Natural attacks. Unarmed strikes follow the BAB attack iteration, Natural attacks are full BAB for primary and -5 for all others.

Furthermore, look at Improved Unarmed Strike:
    Spoiler
    Show

Improved Unarmed Strike [General]
    Benefit
    You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. However, you still get an attack of opportunity against any opponent who makes an unarmed attack on you.

In addition, your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option.

Normal
    Without this feat, you are considered unarmed when attacking with an unarmed strike, and you can deal only nonlethal damage with such an attack.

Special
    A monk automatically gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level. She need not select it.

A fighter may select Improved Unarmed Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.

So even the lowly monk is only considered armed - they are not in fact actually armed.

Not that it makes the flaw much better

EDIT: Apparently natural weapons only allow the monster to be considered armed. They are not actually armed - as such this penalty would apply as well.

Maybe this flaw is not so bad after all.
    Last edited by Trasilor; 2014-08-26 at 12:42 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Started at the home of one of the characters.

Check out my campaign at:
    https://erramus.obsidianportal.com/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The balance on these is wildly inconsistent. However that is natural for flaws. There are few flaws that can be called balanced prior to knowing the character that is taking them. For instant Divine Gestures(Divine Spellcasting Failure) would be a flaw for a DMM Persist Divine Gish but not for a Mystic Theruge. Some (like Metal Intolerance) are imbalanced regardless of the character.

However most of these are interesting. A DM should use these with a character dependent adjustments/permission.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    For instant Divine Gestures(Divine Spellcasting Failure) would be a flaw for a DMM Persist Divine Gish
    Not really. Greater Luminous Armor + Magic Vestment. I'm competing with one now.

If you really want a bad one, look at Fool. Requires Bardic music. Lose all "Inspire X" abilities.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro