New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Bigger then normal dmg dice 2-handed weapon?

Hey everyone, Im curious if there is any exotic two handed weapon that has a bigger dmg dice then the normal 2d6 or 1d12? Or are they all bigger threat range or bigger multiplier only?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bigger then normal dmg dice 2-handed weapon?

I'm pretty sure that damage dies for medium weapons are capped at 2d6 or 1d12, though I think the Fullblade (A&EG) might be 2d8 or something like that, but the thing is that is is a 3.0 book and weapon sized functioned differently then.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Great Crossbow has 2d8 on it with an 18-20 critical range.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Sugliin from Frostburn is a hilarious two-handed reach weapon with 2d8 damage dice. It's a bunch of antlers tied to the end of a big stick, and you attack by waving it around. Making one attack with it is a full-round action. You need EWP with it to use it without penalty, but then you have to take the Sugliin Mastery feat if you want to attack with it once as a standard action or if you want to make a full attack with it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Referencing the Ginormous List, there are three weapons that deal 2d8 damage.

The Sugliin, from Frostburn is a two-handed primitive exotic weapon that apparently takes a full round to attack with. It is basically a large stick with antlers tied to the half you aren't holding.

The Great Crossbow, from Races of Stone is exactly what it sounds like. A bigger crossbow. It also happens to have the critical range of a rapier (18-20), but does not benefit from Rapid Reload by RAW, so isn't so great at high levels without finding a way to make it reload itself.

The Fullblade, from Sword and Fist (a 3e supplement), is a bigger greatsword (actually deals damage as a large-sized bastard sword) that requires exotic proficiency to use, because it's so darn big.

EDIT: The last one got ninja'd in while I was making sure I had everything right. Not much useful info here, then.
    Last edited by Zweisteine; 2014-08-28 at 02:49 PM.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I'm pretty sure that damage dies for medium weapons are capped at 2d6 or 1d12, though I think the Fullblade (A&EG) might be 2d8 or something like that, but the thing is that is is a 3.0 book and weapon sized functioned differently then.
    I don't see anything that would make it not work as given, though. It acts a little weird, but not incompatibly so.

Other than the two mentioned, there's the sugliin from Frostburn. Not that I recommend using it, though, as it requires two feats to actually work. And of course a monk's unarmed strikes hit 2d8 at 16th level, but that makes the sugliin look attractive.

There are effects that increase the damage die, such as shillelagh and greater mighty wallop. Starting at level 8, you can combine the two to get a quarterstaff that deals 6d6 damage, and by level 20 you could have an unarmed strike (using Superior Unarmed Strike, not monk) that does 8d6 damage. (As far as I can tell, there's no table for monks larger than Large, and the 2d10 base damage isn't on the normal weapon size table.)

Dammit, double ninjaed. Just because the monk tables confused me
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2014-08-28 at 02:55 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are lots more though. For instance, the DMG includes the 6d8 Antimatter Rifle.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Biggetr then normal dmg dice 2-handed weapon?

Thanks for the answers. :)

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

9. - Top - End - #9

The Platinum and Gold special materials in Magic of Faerun boost a 2d6 or 1d12 weapon to a 2d8 one, but makes it require Exotic Weapon Proficiency.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #10

The greatcleaver is a 2d8 exotic two-handed slashing melee weapon with reach and a x3 crit mod, costing 40gp and weighing 15 lbs.
    (Dragon Magazine 352 pg 43)
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2014-08-29 at 01:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Ooo!! Me me me!

A small shovel ("scoop") does 1d10. Sizing up a 1d10 weapon gets you 2d8 most of the time, and the natural weapon charts agree with that, so there's something there :D
    It's a dodgy one though, but I'm letting a player use it 0 w 0
    Last edited by Socksy; 2014-08-29 at 04:36 AM.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Ooo!! Me me me!

A small shovel ("scoop") does 1d10. Sizing up a 1d10 weapon gets you 2d8 most of the time, and the natural weapon charts agree with that, so there's something there :D
    What book is the shovel statline in?
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Ooo!! Me me me!

Wait, so we can actually stat out Shovel Knight?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

In races of stone there is the Goliath great hammer. Play anything large or with monstrous build and it does 3d6.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With the Hammer Fist feat (Dragon Compendium, page 100), unarmed strike becomes the supreme "two-handed" weapon. Be a Small PC. Get a Fanged Ring (grants Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), take Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle). Have your party Sorcerer/Wizard with CL20 cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you. If you're level 16+ (with no Monk levels), your base unarmed damage from Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) will be 3d6. Greater Mighty Wallop boosts that from Small size to effective Colossal, making it 16d6. As a two-handed attack with Hammer Fist, you add 1˝ times your Strength bonus.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd say your best bet is to get Strongarm Bracers and go up one weapon size.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    With the Hammer Fist feat (Dragon Compendium, page 100), unarmed strike becomes the supreme "two-handed" weapon. Be a Small PC. Get a Fanged Ring (grants Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), take Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle). Have your party Sorcerer/Wizard with CL20 cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you. If you're level 16+ (with no Monk levels), your base unarmed damage from Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) will be 3d6. Greater Mighty Wallop boosts that from Small size to effective Colossal, making it 16d6. As a two-handed attack with Hammer Fist, you add 1˝ times your Strength bonus.
    Come on Curmudgeon, you know that's small potatoes as far as monk damage goes. Get a +5 modifier to UMD and take a Host feat. Now buy 4 Ectoplasmic Fists and enjoy your 64d6 damage instead.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

yuk Re: Bigger then normal dmg dice 2-handed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Come on Curmudgeon, you know that's small potatoes as far as monk damage goes. Get a +5 modifier to UMD and take a Host feat. Now buy 4 Ectoplasmic Fists and enjoy your 64d6 damage instead.
    I have no idea what you're going on about. There's no Monk damage involved in my post. Also, what do Ectoplasmic Fist Shards have to do with the "2-handed weapon" topic?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I have no idea what you're going on about. There's no Monk damage involved in my post. Also, what do Ectoplasmic Fist Shards have to do with the "2-handed weapon" topic?
    Fair enough, it's not "monk" damage, but it is stacking unarmed damage increases, which is what the monk does.

The Ectoplasmic Fist Shards have exactly as much to do with the 2-handed weapon topic as Greater Mighty Wallop, being effective size increases and all.

20. - Top - End - #20

The shovel is technically called a Scoop, and can be found in the stats for the third edition Autognomes. :D
    It's not entirely obvious if they count as natural or manufactured weapons, though.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

21. - Top - End - #21

SwashbucklerGuy

Easiest and cheapest thing to do would be have an Improvised Weapon. Something weighing 51-100 lbs will deal 3d6 damage. 101-200 lbs and you've got yourself a 4d6 weapon. Then again, you'd probably have some rather nasty penalties for trying to use a table as a weapon…

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    There are effects that increase the damage die, such as shillelagh and greater mighty wallop. Starting at level 8, you can combine the two to get a quarterstaff that deals 6d6 damage, and by level 20 you could have an unarmed strike (using Superior Unarmed Strike, not monk) that does 8d6 damage. (As far as I can tell, there's no table for monks larger than Large, and the 2d10 base damage isn't on the normal weapon size table.)
    For a 2d10 sized up to Large, you would get 4d8 (at least according to the table I'm looking at).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'd say your best bet is to get Strongarm Bracers and go up one weapon size.
    And then go up another size with Enlarge Person, which will take your Fullblade damage from 2d8 to 4d8, plus whatever enhancement bonus and Power Attack damage modifiers you care to stack.

23. - Top - End - #23

Make the Fullblade out of Platinum or Gold - a 2d8 weapon goes up to 4d6. With Strongarm Bracers that's 6d6, throw in Powerful Build for 8d6... and we're still Medium.

Let's say we're a Wu Jen gish who's barely able to get Persisted Giant Size in a 9th level slot. (Easily possible.) If you go up one size category, you're at 12d6.

Giant Size makes you go up /four/. We're at an effective weapon size of Colossal+++. Which is pretty good.

But let's try it with a Monk's Unarmed Strike at level 20. (We'll say you're a Tashalatora STP Erudite to get access to the abilities you need.)
    So, you start out with a 2d10 unarmed strike.
    Then we use Greater Mighty Wallop. 12d8.

And THEN we use Giant Size. Colossal++++, oh my. There are no rules for weapons getting that big, but if we scale each 1d8 up seperately... that's 72d6 damage dice.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

24. - Top - End - #24

once you have 2 damage dice, be they d6 or d8, this is the likely pattern

Code:
     2d6 +50% = 3d6
     3d6 +33% = 4d6
     4d6 +50% = 6d6
     6d6 +33% = 8d6
     8d6 +50% = 12d6
    12d6 +33% = 16d6
    16d6 +50% = 24d6
    24d6 +33% = 32d6
    32d6 +50% = 48d6
    48d6 +33% = 64d6
    64d6 +50% = 96d6
    Code:
     2d8 +50% = 3d8
     3d8 +33% = 4d8
     4d8 +50% = 6d8
     6d8 +33% = 8d8
     8d8 +50% = 12d8
    12d8 +33% = 16d8
    16d8 +50% = 24d8
    24d8 +33% = 32d8
    32d8 +50% = 48d8
    48d8 +33% = 64d8
    64d8 +50% = 96d8
    as for a typical lvl 20 monk of medium size, I would put their damage at 3d8 instead of 2d10