New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Help me build a spellthief

Alright, so I need help with a build for a spellthief. The campaign will start at level 8 and most likely end at level 10, so I need something that will be mostly finished by level 8, if not completely.

I'm not sure if I'll take an elf or a human, though I might take some other race if the suggestion is good.

I need help with pretty much everything - which feats to take, should I dip into something, which spells to take, which items to focus on?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help me build a spellthief

Lots of more knowledgeable people should reply to this, but in case they don't, here's my advice.

Get Keen Intellect or Force of Personality, if those are okay with your DM. Improved Initiative is almost always a good idea. Weapon Finesse (especially if your DM allows it for melee touch attacks).

Human and halfling are the usual good choices for races. Elf is okay, but not great.

Don't rely on sneak attack to kill enemies, and don't rely on your own spells to get everything done; those are just supplements. Work out an agreement with your other party members so that you take some of their spells before a battle starts (so the party has twice their normal spell power per round, at least at the beginning). Also, it makes more sense for the sneaky guy to case an enemy encampment with arcane sight than for the wizard to do it (or forestfold with a druid). Once battle is engaged, get in their and do what your class says.

I hear Master Spellthief mentioned a lot, but I'm not that familiar with it (it's a feat, I believe).

People often take the Unseen Seer prestige class when playing spellthieves.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

If you've not already, read this, this, this and this.

So the master spellthief feat, with potential multiclassing, is an option to consider. Taking this feat and then going into things such as mindbender or arcane trickster (potentially with wizars/sorc levels before, but not necessarily). Stealing from your team mates (especially those with at wills) also is. Finally the trickster spellthif from dragon magazine might be an idea if allowed.

EDIT:Ninja'ed!
    Last edited by Synar; 2014-08-28 at 07:08 PM.
    Black is for nitpicking.
    Black is for sarcasm.
    Blue is for serious.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a fan of Spellthief 9/Mindbender 1/Earth Dreamer 5/Shadowcraft Mage 5, with Master Spellthief. Steal 9th-level spells and use them to cast insane shadow magic! Glide through earth and stone like it ain't even a thing!
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Cloud of Knives is a must have spell.

If you campaign has lots of undead you may need to get a way to have your Sneak Attacks to work against them. Same for constructs.

Don't forget that you are one heck of a debuff'er. So reducing there resistances goes a long way towards improving what you can do.

Unseen Seer can add Divination spells to your spell list, even divine spells. Many of the Divine Ranger spells upgrade your Sneak Attack so that you can do it from a greater distance or just basically add Sneak attack dice.

Remember you have to play a lot like a Rogue. You maybe filling Rogue roles for the team so that maybe how you need to allocate skill points.

You also probably want to sneak attack from a distance since you aren't the hardiest of combatants.

God Luck!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Nice handbook, but you are missing the Godsblood Spellthief feat, which can now be found here.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Nice handbook, but you are missing the Godsblood Spellthief feat, which can now be found here.
    I think it gets discussed down the thread a ways.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I think it gets discussed down the thread a ways.
    Ah, down at post #21. The link is 404'd though.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook