New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ravenloft Wood Oracle Help

Currently I am working on a concept for a backup character for a newly started Ravenloft Campaign. I'm thinking that he used to be a woodworker and one day his wife and daughter were murdered and he's out to find the killer. His only lead being that the killer had two left hands. He's probably going to be a frontline melee fighter type, mostly because I have grown tired of playing primary casters. My only limitations are that I can only use Pathfinder material, no 3rd party and no 3.5 and no hybrid classes. Here is the build as I have it thus far and any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Starting Level 1

Race Human

Point Buy 20

Str: 18 (+2 From Human)
    Dex: 10
    Con: 12
    Int: 10
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 16

Traits Eyes and Ears of the City, Reactionary

Feat Progression

Extra Revelation Human
    Haunted 1 (Page 46 of Domains of Dread) or Courage (+4 to All Fear Checks)
    Power Attack 3
    Skill Focus - Knowledge Nature 5
    Eldrtich Heritage - Verdent Bloodline 7
    Furious Focus 9
    Improved Eldritch Heritage - Verdent Bloodline11
    Greater Eldritch Heritage - Verdent Bloodline 17

Curse

Clouded Vision
    1st Level - No Sight beyond 30', Darkvision 30'
    5th Level - Vision increased to 60'
    10th Level - Blindsense 30'
    15th Level - Blind Sight 15'

Revelations

Wood Bond 1
    Wood Armor Bonus
    Wood Weapon 3
    Speak with Wood 11

Spells

0 Level - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink
    1st Level - Cure Light Wounds, Swallow Your Fear

This is everything I have set up as I have researched thus far. Any opinion in terms of the build is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking a look at this potentially interesting character.

As an aside, what weapons would be viewed as summonable by the Wood Weapon ability in total?

I would also like to note that I have not begun to select spells as of yet. Any help with that would also be appreciated.
    Last edited by Rasman; 2014-08-29 at 09:18 PM.
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Ravenloft Wood Oracle Help

Wooden Weapon lists what it applies to - club, quarterstaff, and the three basic spears. If you use a longspear Combat Reflexes may be useful.

The usual cleric buff spells would apply. Do you need a list of these?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    Wooden Weapon lists what it applies to - club, quarterstaff, and the three basic spears. If you use a longspear Combat Reflexes may be useful.

The usual cleric buff spells would apply. Do you need a list of these?
    I am a slight imbecile. What I intended to ask was about Wood Bond and what weapons would be considered being mostly made of wood. Something like an axe that is used for chopping wood, for example.

I do have the PFSRD to go off of, but I'd be more than glad to hear any suggestions you have on that.

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

4. - Top - End - #4

I'm not sure about the 8 in Wisdom. Oracle has a good Will save bonus progression, but Ravenloft has Fear\Horror\Madness saves too.
    Failing one of these could mean that your character couldn't contribute to an encounter or worse. My advice is to avoid dumping Wisdom su much.

Forever in debt with smuchmuch for the cyberpunk avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I'm not sure about the 8 in Wisdom. Oracle has a good Will save bonus progression, but Ravenloft has Fear\Horror\Madness saves too.
    Failing one of these could mean that your character couldn't contribute to an encounter or worse. My advice is to avoid dumping Wisdom su much.
    That is a pretty valid point. I'm not sure how I should reallocate the points with only 20 to work with, but I could suppliment that with feats since we are allowed a Ravenloft feat that gives a nice bonus to fear checks. I'll have to check up with the DM to see exactly which one it is or I could simply take Iron Will.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

You seem to have difficulty finding enough worthwhile revelations to take (a common problem with higher level oracles due to the segregated mysteries), which makes Spirit Guide from the ACG an interesting choice. Even just sticking the abilities you can change daily on Battle's Battle Master hex every day gives fantastic results for a martial oracle

Add Enlarge person (1st), fog cloud (2nd), magic vestment (3rd), wall of fire (4th), righteous might (5th), mass bull's strength (6th), control weather (7th), earthquake (8th), storm of vengeance (9th) to your spells (doesn't even cost your mystery spells!). Gain an extra AoO that stacks with Combat Reflexes, weapon specialization (and Greater Weapon Focus, but I'm not sure a Ravenloft campaign will get you anywhere near level 15) that can be changed daily, always on bonus to attack and damage rolls that effects the entire party and scales with your level and eventually get the ability to add bane spontaneously to a weapon as a swift action for your 3rd, 7th and 15th level revelations (notice your first revelation is intact, so extra revelation is open).

Also: You can't take Power Attack at level 1 because you have 0 BAB
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2014-08-29 at 08:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    You seem to have difficulty finding enough worthwhile revelations to take (a common problem with higher level oracles due to the segregated mysteries), which makes Spirit Guide from the ACG an interesting choice. Even just sticking the abilities you can change daily on Battle's Battle Master hex every day gives fantastic results for a martial oracle

Add Enlarge person (1st), fog cloud (2nd), magic vestment (3rd), wall of fire (4th), righteous might (5th), mass bull's strength (6th), control weather (7th), earthquake (8th), storm of vengeance (9th) to your spells (doesn't even cost your mystery spells!). Gain an extra AoO that stacks with Combat Reflexes, weapon specialization (and Greater Weapon Focus, but I'm not sure a Ravenloft campaign will get you anywhere near level 15) that can be changed daily, always on bonus to attack and damage rolls that effects the entire party and scales with your level and eventually get the ability to add bane spontaneously to a weapon as a swift action for your 3rd, 7th and 15th level revelations (notice your first revelation is intact, so extra revelation is open).

Also: You can't take Power Attack at level 1 because you have 0 BAB
    duh...I should know better than that...that will DEF be a slight rework then

I'm not sure if my DM would allow the Spirit Guide and it worries me a tad since he would get some say as to whether I get the one I want or not. Not to mention, it's Ravenloft and it seems like just asking for something bad to happen. Thank you for the suggestion, though. It seems really really interesting.
    Last edited by Rasman; 2014-08-29 at 09:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

made a few changes based on suggestions, added spells for first level as well, going to wait on the Spirit suggestion until I can see if it is DM approved, still appreciate thoughts on all this

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    I am a slight imbecile. What I intended to ask was about Wood Bond and what weapons would be considered being mostly made of wood. Something like an axe that is used for chopping wood, for example.

I do have the PFSRD to go off of, but I'd be more than glad to hear any suggestions you have on that.
    There's no definition in game terms of being made mostly of wood unfortunately. I mean, bows, staves and polearms are certainly covered but whether everything with a haft is, is up to your GM. If you grab a couple of online pictures of RL (not fantasy) battle axes and show them to your GM that'll likely help your case.

Cleric spells. OK, here's some suggestions.
    Level 1: Divine Favor as an offence buff, Shield of Faith or Protection from Evil for defence. You'll get Shillelagh free for being a Wood Oracle so make sure you carry a club in case you want to use it.
    Level 2: Admonishing Ray to zap enemies and/or Burst of Radiance as a debuff. Silence may be handy to turn off enemy spellcasting. Barkskin is your free spell, use it.
    Level 3: Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment are buffs you will want. Communal Resist Energy gets a lot of use IME. Minor Creation is useful only if you abuse it; most of the time you can forget it exists.
    Level 4: the party may tie you down until you agree to use all 4th level slots for Blessing of Fervor.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    There's no definition in game terms of being made mostly of wood unfortunately. I mean, bows, staves and polearms are certainly covered but whether everything with a haft is, is up to your GM. If you grab a couple of online pictures of RL (not fantasy) battle axes and show them to your GM that'll likely help your case.

Cleric spells. OK, here's some suggestions.
    Level 1: Divine Favor as an offense buff, Shield of Faith or Protection from Evil for defence. You'll get Shillelagh free for being a Wood Oracle so make sure you carry a club in case you want to use it.
    Level 2: Admonishing Ray to zap enemies and/or Burst of Radiance as a debuff. Silence may be handy to turn off enemy spellcasting. Barkskin is your free spell, use it.
    Level 3: Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment are buffs you will want. Communal Resist Energy gets a lot of use IME. Minor Creation is useful only if you abuse it; most of the time you can forget it exists.
    Level 4: the party may tie you down until you agree to use all 4th level slots for Blessing of Fervor.
    I was afraid of that much, I guess it also doesn't help that I only have Simple Weapons to work with, now that I think about that.

I really like the spell suggestions, especially silence since I can just throw it on my weapon and go to town on a caster. :D
    Last edited by Rasman; 2014-08-31 at 08:02 AM.