New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What do you expect from D&D?

Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    I agree! A lot of my house rules are made around this idea: we only have a little time to game, so lets game!

I can't stand people who try and disrupt or stop the game: The Problem Players.

''Just play the game''
    Surely you're joking. Everything you do in your game adds extra pointless time to everything, from rolling extra dice (d% every time you cast a summon spell, for instance) to straight up telling people that no, they do a different thing from the thing they said they wanted to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I agree! A lot of my house rules are made around this idea: we only have a little time to game, so lets game!

I can't stand people who try and disrupt or stop the game: The Problem Players.

''Just play the game''
    The only thing here would be that everyone at the table has to aggree on what it means to disrupt the game. That's different from person to person. Myself , I've never played an alignment change. I don't have time for it. And neither does my table.If I want to be a good guy that turns evil.....then he used to be good and is evil now.

If we get hung up on how a certain rule or mechanic works, we just all come to a compromise (even the DM) and that's how it works and move on. Between sessions well try to figure out the rule so we can do it right next time.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Surely you're joking. Everything you do in your game adds extra pointless time to everything, from rolling extra dice (d% every time you cast a summon spell, for instance) to straight up telling people that no, they do a different thing from the thing they said they wanted to do.
    Indeed. It would be pretty trivial to just let the cleric do their silly interrogation thing without any deity-based consequences. If you just want a fun and random time, that seems like a perfectly viable path.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Putting aside whether I'd like the idea of this happening in a game I'm playing in (as an isolated event I'd actually have mixed feelings at worst), I really don't see Corellon Larethian disapproving of one of his clerics torturing a Drow for the location of a stash of Drow treasure that the cleric then intends to steal, at least not strongly enough to act on it. Sure his alignment line says "Good," but when push comes to shove he's a racist and an asshat more than anything else.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Corellon Larethian is a racist and an asshat.

5. - Top - End - #215

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Corellon Larethian is a racist and an asshat.
    How do you read a post that disagrees with you completely and then misinterpret it like that?
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-08-30 at 11:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216

How do you read a post that disagrees with you completely and then misinterpret it like that?
    Linguistics, Flickerdart, linguistics. Breathe and think of the false friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbacz
    For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.
    Logic is silly, and has little place in the real world.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Banned

MonkGuy

I've got mad skills and talent...........

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

I'm more concerned with the fact that jedipotter's version of Corellon is a genocidal ****head but wouldn't cotton to torturing a drow.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

It's only a partial disagreement. We agree that Corellon Larethian is a racist asshat, but disagree as to where being a racist asshat ranks on his list of priorities relative to being Good.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #220

It's only a partial disagreement. We agree that Corellon Larethian is a racist asshat, but disagree as to where being a racist asshat ranks on his list of priorities relative to being Good.
    Neither of the acts (torture or murder) is Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I'm more concerned with the fact that jedipotter's version of Corellon is a genocidal ****head but wouldn't cotton to torturing a drow.
    Corellon Larethian has no problem with genocide of the whole drow race (and orc race, for that matter). But he draws the line a torture (most of the time, he is fine with ticking clock torture, for example). So, yes kill all the drow (and orcs), but find another way to get treasure other then torture.

Even good gods have standards.....

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Neither of the acts (torture or murder) is Good.
    Right, and the disagreement is whether Corellon would rank that as more or less important than Drow-hate.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Corellon Larethian has no problem with genocide of the whole drow race (and orc race, for that matter). But he draws the line a torture (most of the time, he is fine with ticking clock torture, for example). So, yes kill all the drow (and orcs), but find another way to get treasure other then torture.

That doesn't exactly help. Aside from the fact that a genocidal ****head can be a Good god in your world, torturing one drow is worse than annihilating their entire race.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

MonkGuy

That doesn't exactly help. Aside from the fact that a genocidal ****head can be a Good god in your world, torturing one drow is worse than annihilating their entire race.

Corellon Larethian is a complex god.

He hates the drow most of all and really, really just wants them gone. They are living examples of his worst mistake/failure as the god of elves of all time. And he sees it as cleaning up the mess/mistake he made. And the drow are not exactly a natural race, as they were created from Corellon Larethian's blood, so him killing all the drow is no different then a mortal getting a haircut...

So kill the drow, but don't torture them....unless you have to for a good reason, like a ticking clock.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Corellon Larethian is a complex god.

He hates the drow most of all and really, really just wants them gone. They are living examples of his worst mistake/failure as the god of elves of all time. And he sees it as cleaning up the mess/mistake he made. And the drow are not exactly a natural race, as they were created from Corellon Larethian's blood, so him killing all the drow is no different then a mortal getting a haircut...

So kill the drow, but don't torture them....unless you have to for a good reason, like a ticking clock.
    Uh huh. So your hair is sentient, then. Good to know.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

MonkGuy

This is complex god stuff....

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

ATTENTION DUELISTS, my hair did not realize that its sapience was somehow unique.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rather than harp on about JP and how his houserules are awful, I'll actually answer the original question.

What do I expect? I expect the following.
    • The DM to be straightforward with his rules.
    • I expect consistency with his rules.
    • I expect that if he's going to use my character to advance a plot point he at least gives me forewarning about it, and at most that he asks if its ok to use my character for plot development.
    • I expect that the DM will allow my character to act in the way I deem he acts. If that means an alignment shift, or falling, or some other less than favorable status, so be it. I wouldn't have played a class with an Ex-[Class] section without being aware of it.
    • I expect that any class or book bans be reasonable. For example
      • No faerun books in an eberron campaign.
      • Not banning something because "I don't like X about it." without further explanation AND an actual knowledge of how the book works.
      • Banning something because you don't have a book. (Granted, since I practically only play online, if they don't have a book I'll gladly share my library with them.)
      • Banning T1 because they break the game.
      • Banning T6 because they can't handle their own.

• I expect that the DM will actually talk to the players when there is a problem.

Trying to remember if I have missed anything.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kellbyb View Post
    Yeah, the problem with that is the code is never defined.
    Deities and demigods and faith and pantheons (amongst other) do define such code of conduct. Care to shift the goalpost some more ?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Out of (morbid) curiosity, given that European martial arts also give names to their specific maneuvers, what specifically makes ToB 'anime' rather than 'European Renaissance'? Specific page numbers or quotes would be helpful.
    Sure but remember the context here is that ToB isn't reflective of real word martial arts, at least compared to other D&D content. The usage of the word "anime" is a useful catch-all for over the top martial superpowers that are oft exemplified in the genre. Content such as "Perfect Clarify of Mind and Body", "Scorching Sirocco" from the tactical feat section alone (page 35), I'd question "lasting weak spot" under "Distant Horizon" as well (page 34). Avenging strike, vital recovery from the general feat section also come into play. Even devoted bulwark is a bit questionable in terms of it's correlation to realism, I'm pretty sure that someone's already expected to be actively defending themselves and stepping it up is called "fighting defensively" or "full defense". I won't touch on the divine or psionic elements.

How deep do you want to evaluate? The difference in Northern vs. Southern styles from Asian traditions and how to most accurately replicate them? Armed combat from European traditions? Heck, take one of the basics you'll learn in just about any martial art, 90% of fights end on the ground and you better learn to fall. The monk's laughable slow fall ability does a better job of representing this than any of the classes in that book but that, getting used to falling, is actually closer to realism than most of the content I'm seeing in ToB (albeit probably not from such heights). Same thing as having easier access to grapple via a feat. Given your name let's talk Pankration, the pinnacle competition of ancient greek martial arts. Almost nothing in ToB is stylistically comparable. Heck, a rogue might be more realistic if they had crippling strike.

Where would you like to go next? Why turning incorporal isn't realistic of martial arts? Here, I just flipped open to page 60 randomly, let me start. "Martial Spirit" (if that was realistic we'd have doctors punching nurses instead of surgery to heal the patient), "Radiant charge" (pretty sure most real swords don't care if you're evil), Rallying Strike (again with the healing), "Revitalizing Strike" (again, alignment isn't important in the real world as far as a sword's concerned). Shield block and shield counter I'll grant have some basis (kinda skeptical about shield counter but sure, let's go with it). Strike of the righteous is another.

So, still honestly want to tell me ToB is a more realistic reflection of real world martial arts? Honestly a vanilla fighter is more realistic than some of this

Edit: Sorry, this was a bit of a catch all gear in part towards some other comments. European Reconnaissance doesn't share quite the same incorporation of super powered extra worldy fighting, closest analogy I can think of is Anime.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2014-08-31 at 08:25 AM.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    Deities and demigods and faith and pantheons (amongst other) do define such code of conduct. Care to shift the goalpost some more ?
    I just ctrl-F'd "Code of conduct" in both of those books and found nothing. That said, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had found something since I've barely read Deities and Demigods and didn't even know Faiths and Pantheons existed. If you can give me specific examples with page numbers, I'll be more than happy to believe you.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    The clone Rudisplorker, doppelganger of Threadnaught.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just ctrl-F'd "Code of conduct" in both of those books and found nothing. That said, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had found something since I've barely read Deities and Demigods and didn't even know Faiths and Pantheons existed. If you can give me specific examples with page numbers, I'll be more than happy to believe you.
    Under every god in those books are two entry, "dogma" and "clergy and temples"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Right, and the disagreement is whether Corellon would rank that as more or less important than Drow-hate.
    Honestly, I don't see any contradiction here. I mean, the Drow torture all the time, right? So wouldn't torturing them make someone more similar to the Drow? I can see him abhorring torture on the sole basis of it being a Drow-like thing to do.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhaic View Post
    Seriously?
    Let's take this from the top.

—If you need something that's higher than 6th level to imprison casters then you're doing it wrong and your setting is either terrible or has bizarre scaling.

Seriously, just waterboard them once a day to keep them unconscious, maybe use some effect so they don't need to eat. Or use magic to keep them asleep. And don't keep them alone.
    Oh yes, let's rely on neverending torture or will saves - clearly the bane of any spellcaster, before we even get to the natural 20s they'll inevitably roll - to solve the problem forever. And you have the gall to ask if I'm being serious?

Also, OotS is a terrible setting - yes, I'm sure you're basing this on *snerk* your considerable experience building worlds of... actually, I can't even finish this sentence.

Honestly, if you've got a guy who can punch through a wall given a few hours, you don't leave him alone. Ever. If you can capture a mage, you can keep the mage captured.
    But can you do it and maintain your alignment? Good (and hell, even neutral) societies imprison (without torture, whatever you weirdly seem to think) because the alternative is disproportionate punishment by executing everyone regardless of crime.

Or perhaps you advocate maiming them instead? Rip their tongues out or cut off their hands to stop them from using verbal and somatic components? To your warped viewpoint, that would be acceptable, right?

For some reason people seem to think "imprisoned" means "stuck in a cell," rather than meaning "constantly watched, kept from doing anything, and possibly interrogated and/or tortured," which is what would happen to PCs and similar creatures.
    Constant torture I've addressed above. "Kept from doing anything" you've yet to demonstrate a tenable way of doing that. "Interrogated" - for what? "Watched" by who?

AMF is a key component of any D&D setting worth the paper it's printed on. It also keeps their friends from teleporting in, knocking our your jail staff easily and busting them out. Or, simply pulling them out of there or sending a disposable summon to pick them up.

Killing someone who would go on to kill others is at worst a neutral act if you aren't torturing them or the like.
    You do know that there are crimes besides murder, right? What about a mad mage who uses his powers to commit arson, but only uninhabited buildings? No loss of life, just lots and lots of property damage. Do you string him up, or let him roam free? Obviously neither is acceptable. How about a Beguiler con or second-story man who uses their powers to steal from the city's powerful? A crime certainly, but is execution a worthy punishment? What about a sorcerer or wilder who can't control her powers and is a danger to all around her? Say she hasn't killed anyone yet and needs to be taught control, but you need to keep her in one place long enough to get her the help she needs. Would you torture all of these individuals or render them comatose indefinitely? Would you station NPC guards with all of them, people who are likely quite ill-equipped to do anything should your drugs wear off or they pass their saves? Or would you stick adventurers with all of them, people who are the smallest minority of the population even if you did find folks willing to stick around in prison with each of your captives?

Try again.
    Right back at you, person-with-oddly-fitting-name.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-08-31 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    Under every god in those books are two entry, "dogma" and "clergy and temples"
    Since it's not explicitly called out as a code of conduct, it has no effect as per RAW. That said, I would have no trouble with the DM issuing a cleric PC warnings via divine proxy if they cross a line or two or even stripping them of their powers if they don't learn after the first few chastising angels.
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Since it's not explicitly called out as a code of conduct, it has no effect as per RAW. That said, I would have no trouble with the DM issuing a cleric PC warnings via divine proxy if they cross a line or two or even stripping them of their powers if they don't learn after the first few chastising angels.
    That has to be the flimsiest RAW argument I've seen in this forum in a while.

Yes, I'm aware of the context of this remark

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

That has to be the flimsiest RAW argument I've seen in this forum in a while.

Yes, I'm aware of the context of this remark
    Yeah, I was pretty much being facetious.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post

Where would you like to go next? Why turning incorporal isn't realistic of martial arts? Here, I just flipped open to page 60 randomly, let me start. "Martial Spirit" (if that was realistic we'd have doctors punching nurses instead of surgery to heal the patient), "Radiant charge" (pretty sure most real swords don't care if you're evil), Rallying Strike (again with the healing), "Revitalizing Strike" (again, alignment isn't important in the real world as far as a sword's concerned). Shield block and shield counter I'll grant have some basis (kinda skeptical about shield counter but sure, let's go with it). Strike of the righteous is another.
    Oh for the love of...

So, still honestly want to tell me ToB is a more realistic reflection of real world martial arts? .
    I will. Try looking at one of the other 8 Disciplines that isn't Devoted Spirit, the one explicitly only available to the Paladin-alike. You know, like Iron Heart. or Diamond Mind. Setting Sun or Tiger Claw, even. Pretty much any of the maneuvers from Desert Wind that are about mobility or multiple attacks.

Meanwhile in DnD literally anyone can focus on combat a bit/ and suddenly start healing rapidly. Such realism.
    Last edited by Terazul; 2014-08-31 at 02:49 PM.
    Awesome Mordekaiser Pony courtesy of Squeejee!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terazul View Post
    I will. Try looking at one of the other 8 Disciplines that isn't Devoted Spirit, the one explicitly only available to the Paladin-alike.
    Wait, you mean I can't just focus on the stuff that proves my argument? I have to look at all the information?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

30. - Top - End - #240

The phrase is, "Even Evil Has Standards".

Not that it matters because this thread is on it's way to being locked with the genocidal racist ***** of a "Good" guy being brought up again.

Rather than discussing the benefits of pre-emptively wiping out all life in Europe and then killing all Caucasian people in the world to prevent the return of the Nazis. Let me rectify the mistake I made the last time genocide was brought up in one of your threads jedi.

Let's ask The Giant what he thinks about genocide.
    Last edited by Threadnaught; 2014-08-31 at 03:40 PM.