New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

cool I'm Going on a Europe Trip!

So, my grandmother is taking me and my sister on a month long trip to Europe on a river cruise through all the rivers and canals. We're going to be starting from the black sea in Romania and making our way west, ending in the Rhineland of Germany. My sister and I are pretty excited for we haven't been out of country except a couple trips into Mexico, and we wanted to see what Europe was like. However, we know very little of what to expect and what to do in our travels, so that's why I had the idea of coming on here. I wanted to ask you guys, especially anyone who lives in Europe that either lives or has visited the places were going to visit and offer us some information and advice on what's to come. I'll put down below the map of our trip so as to allow easy viewing of where we'll end up.

Now, we still won't be going on this trip until around mid October, as we're still getting everything together and filling out the forms and requests. That said, when the time comes that I will be going to this trip, I'm going to see about posting the pictures here for you all to see as well. Its going to be a very exciting time!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I'm Going on a Europe Trip!

I'm So jealous right now! >:)

I hope to do that one day. At least go to Prague in the Czech Republic.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2014-08-29 at 08:35 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like a very interesting trip. I hope you have fun!
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

4. - Top - End - #4

That white point in southern Germany... that isn't Rothenburg ob der Tauber. That's Rottenburg am Neckar. To be honest, Rothenburg is a lot closer to Nürnberg than Rottenburg, so it is most likely the creator just took some liberties with distances and so on. It would be an extreme distance for an excursion.

Where did you get your Route from? Is it official and set in stone? I agree with S@tanicoaldo, if not, you should check out Prague as you are in the vicinity.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2014-08-30 at 11:19 AM.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aberratio ictus View Post
    That white point in southern Germany... that isn't Rothenburg ob der Tauber. That's Rottenburg am Neckar. To be honest, Rothenburg is a lot closer to Nürnberg than Rottenburg, so it is most likely the creator just took some liberties with distances and so on. It would be an extreme distance for an excursion.

Where did you get your Route from? Is it official and set in stone? I agree with S@tanicoaldo, if not, you should check out Prague as you are in the vicinity.
    Yeah, its an official route for the river cruise to follow, so we can't really detour too much.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

I am very tempted to make "FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN" joke, but I won't, because it's a civil place.

I wish you fun and excitement!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow! What a cruise. I only remember taking a cruise down Rhein, but I can't recall exactly where. It's been over 10 years. But yeah, I'd say that the riversides in at least Germany will be gorgeous
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of those countries I've only been to Germany a few times (I don't count The Netherlands as I've not ventured out of Schipol) but you should definitely go up the tower in the Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral) it's a bit of a climb but a wonderful view of Köln (Cologne) and the Kölner Dom is quite a piece of Architecture in itself and hard to miss when in Köln.
    I'd also have some proper Bratwurst when in Germany, either way I'm sure you'll have a great time cruisin' as you'll get to sample quite a few different cultures through that small part of Europe.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomvid View Post
    Of those countries I've only been to Germany a few times (I don't count The Netherlands as I've not ventured out of Schipol) but you should definitely go up the tower in the Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral) it's a bit of a climb but a wonderful view of Köln (Cologne) and the Kölner Dom is quite a piece of Architecture in itself and hard to miss when in Köln.
    I'd also have some proper Bratwurst when in Germany, either way I'm sure you'll have a great time cruisin' as you'll get to sample quite a few different cultures through that small part of Europe.
    Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind when we arrive there.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

That looks like a very interesting trip! I didn't know cruises went upriver, either. Where did you arrange this sort of trip? It's a little odd that Turkey is coloured green on the map, but it doesn't show the trip actually going through Turkey, whereas that is the case with Slovakia.

How long are you staying at each city? Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna and Cologne (feels odd even typing that name in English) all have great historic places to go see and visit, and Nuremberg as well. The extension to Amsterdam can be well worth it too, especially if you can make a stop in Utrecht along the way.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    That looks like a very interesting trip! I didn't know cruises went upriver, either. Where did you arrange this sort of trip? It's a little odd that Turkey is coloured green on the map, but it doesn't show the trip actually going through Turkey, whereas that is the case with Slovakia.

How long are you staying at each city? Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna and Cologne (feels odd even typing that name in English) all have great historic places to go see and visit, and Nuremberg as well. The extension to Amsterdam can be well worth it too, especially if you can make a stop in Utrecht along the way.
    My grandmother is what arranged the trip, she's just bringing me and my sister along to "Help carry the bags." Were probably going to be staying in each city 1 to 2 days at the most as we travel up the rivers and canals.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I've lived in Passau for quite a while and can recommend you some good stuff if you want, some secret advice, although it's a very small city, so you can see almost anything in one day.

With Nuremburg, Bamberg and Cologne you have a few very cool cities. In Bamberg, be sure to check out downtown, especially the old town hall and "little Venice" along the canals. If you have time and the weather is nice, you can go up the hill and see the old monastery, if it's open. In any case, make sure to visit the cathedral and the old administration (Alte Hofhaltung) a few metres away. If you can, check out the "Sandstrasse", a famous street with pubs and restaurant where my father would enjoy his student life when he was young. Sample the local cusinine, and especially beer or whine, of which there should be a lot of variants in Bavaria.

As for Frankfurt, Cologne and Würzburg, others may be able to tell you more, but in general, check out the town centre, meaning the old part of the town. That's where most of the old, medieval buildings are gathered, and also the local cathedral.

The locals, at least in the popular places, will generally speak English, so you should have no problem getting around. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm actually in Vienna for that time doing a semester abroad! That's super exciting for you, you're going to have a great time. :)

While you're in Vienna, you of course need to go see Stephansdom and Schonbrunn, and perhaps the Kunst Museum if you have time. And of course a Viennesse cafe or two... ;)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Just letting everyone know, I am at the international airport about ready to get on KLM to start my month long European River Cruise Trip! I hope to have internet while there, and if I do, then I will try to post regular updates and possibly pictures for you all here in the playground.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Landed in Amsterdam. On layover for a flight to Bucharest. Pretty tired as its 2:35 am my local time and its about noon here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

So far, you're in luck...the weather is unseasonably warm and nice. Not sure how long it will stay like this, but have a great trip!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. Just thought I'd update on saying that I'm in Romania and I'll be visiting Dracula's castle in a couple days. A little spotty on internet currently here and there, so I'll make these updates when I can.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, you're in Transylvania? It's lovely there. Though, my only experience from the place is in spring time, so, no idea how it is around autumn.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Just got to the city of Brasov. While better, I'm still pretty tired and out of it. My body had me waking up every 30 minutes last night starting at 3am here because of the time zone changes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Changing time zone can be a little tough, but you'll get used to it in a couple of nights. Just stay firmly in the local time routine and you'll get there!

Do you know what your schedule for the next week will be?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Changing time zone can be a little tough, but you'll get used to it in a couple of nights. Just stay firmly in the local time routine and you'll get there!

Do you know what your schedule for the next week will be?
    Well, tomorrow I go the Dracula's castle. Then its a couple more days bussing around Romania before I get on the River Cruise part of the trip.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The weather in Germany is actually pretty lousy at the moment, although you might be in luck. Any idea what you'll do once you reach Passau? As I said, been a student there for four years.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

No idea. However the weather is starting to become lousy in Romania here. Rain is forecasted for the next few days.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, weather has finally caught up and changed...in a rather drastic fashion

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Came back from Vlad the Impailer's Castle, also known as Dracula's castle. It was a little difficult getting around as I'm nearly 6' 3" and this castle was built by people significantly shorter, and before 'standards' were invented, as every arch and doorway and hallway was a different size and shape. It was still pretty cool to look around, but the castle certainly was on the small end. At the most, according to our guide, it was more of a sentry point to look out for possible invading turks as well as being one of the locations Vlad the impailer tortured his Turkish victims as revenge for all their torture techniques they used on him. Interesting enough, Vlad actually never lived in that castle as a ruler, but it was instead his prison when he was a kid growing up under rule of the turks and was in fact his grandfather's castle. Found that interesting.

Also, while out at all the stalls and stands, I found a stand selling small Romanian flags. I decided on the spot to buy it, which was 6 Lei, and to buy similar small flags from each of the countries I'm going to visit and at the end, take a picture of myself with all of them to show my Europe trip. I think its a great idea, don't you think?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, spent the day to leave Transylvania and I'm back in Bucharest for the night. Tomorrow I spend *Another* all day bus ride to the boat and officially start the river boat part of my River Cruise Europe trip.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Alright, spent the day to leave Transylvania and I'm back in Bucharest for the night. Tomorrow I spend *Another* all day bus ride to the boat and officially start the river boat part of my River Cruise Europe trip.
    Well, the river boat part sounds a lot more interesting than the bus part. Hope you have fun!

The only castle I've ever been to was one in Belarus. Steepest stairs I've ever seen -- I can imagine how fatal it would have been trying to storm them with armored, armed, hostile, athletic people at the top doing their best to kill one.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Came back from Vlad the Impailer's Castle, also known as Dracula's castle. It was a little difficult getting around as I'm nearly 6' 3" and this castle was built by people significantly shorter, and before 'standards' were invented, as every arch and doorway and hallway was a different size and shape. It was still pretty cool to look around, but the castle certainly was on the small end. At the most, according to our guide, it was more of a sentry point to look out for possible invading turks as well as being one of the locations Vlad the impailer tortured his Turkish victims as revenge for all their torture techniques they used on him. Interesting enough, Vlad actually never lived in that castle as a ruler, but it was instead his prison when he was a kid growing up under rule of the turks and was in fact his grandfather's castle. Found that interesting.
    You were in Transylvania? But Vlad was the ruler of Wallachia, wasn't he?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    You were in Transylvania? But Vlad was the ruler of Wallachia, wasn't he?
    Born in Transylvania, Voivode of Wallachia, I think. Since the post says he was imprisoned in this Transylvanian castle as a kid, and didn't live there as an adult, it may be that there is no geographical confusion involved.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2014-10-25 at 01:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Got onto the river boat. Going to spend the night docked up before leaving tomorrow around noon. Today however, before heading to the boat, I got to tour the People's Palace in Bucharest. Also known as the Romanian Parliament building. I was told that it is the 2nd largest building in the world and my hour and a half long tour allowed me to only see 4% of it.