New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: OOTS #961 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Roy's made the same kind of mistake before. His caution made him blinder to the truth. Sometimes you just have to be really smart to be really stupid.
    Or to be slightly more specific: smart people can be very good at creating justifications for their preconceived ideas.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Note. Strip#951 now says "Andi", so a lot of the discussion and links no longer make sense.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
    Note. Strip#951 now says "Andi", so a lot of the discussion and links no longer make sense.
    Okay, then it was an error. At least everything makes sense now.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Okay, then it was an error. At least everything makes sense now.
    yay internal consistency!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
    And here I was hoping that Sally was Andi's time-travelling genetic clone from the future/past... oh well.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    And here I was hoping that Sally was Andi's time-travelling genetic clone from the future/past... oh well.
    Obviously she altered time in order to change her alias and not disrupt history.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    We have not yet seen Haley's private reaction to Durkon's situation. We've seen her verbally go along with Roy's plan while *in the presence of Roy AND Elan AND HPoH*. A wise rogue would keep her own counsel in such a situation.
    I generally agree with this notion. Haley hasn't given blood yet, either, as far as we know. I kinda hope she's skeptical partially to kill the "good are trusting fools" meme.

As an aside, I am in the "last panel is forced" camp. It just doesn't work for me.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

For those who are not aware - or have not Googled - Hel is a Norse Deity, as of course is Thor.

I really wish Rich was able to post updates more frequently, as I am keen to find out how they get back to normal
    Real Life? - so what is that then?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, Bandana should have asked Roy to hold the "line" in #951, as that's what sailors call ropes.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Hmm, Bandana should have asked Roy to hold the "line" in #951, as that's what sailors call ropes.
    Maybe she dumbed it down for him, seeing that he's not a sailor.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    If you want to get really technical, that particular line is probably a shroud. Though it should also be remembered that not all nautical terms transitioned into aeronautics.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Is that a challenge? Because we could add familicide and representation to the mix. It wouldn't even be hard.
    Frankly, I thought we were already bordering on familicide (at least in terms of the broader issue of prejudice against "monsters") with all of that stuff earlier about how the only good vampire is an extra-dead vampire.

...Man, these discussion threads are going to be either hilarious or utterly unbearable for the duration of this arc, aren't they?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Frankly, I thought we were already bordering on familicide (at least in terms of the broader issue of prejudice against "monsters") with all of that stuff earlier about how the only good vampire is an extra-dead vampire.
    That's why it wouldn't be hard to make the transition

...Man, these discussion threads are going to be either hilarious or utterly unbearable for the duration of this arc, aren't they?
    Yup. 2015's gonna be a hell of a year.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    I generally agree with this notion. Haley hasn't given blood yet, either, as far as we know. I kinda hope she's skeptical partially to kill the "good are trusting fools" meme.
    She seemed okay with the idea earlier, in 946.
    That's what I'm predicting.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

/
    That's why I've been giving the most recent page a glance, and no more, about once a week, except when I see a new comic is up. Looking at the thread three or four times per month makes it a lot more tolerable.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yup. 2015's gonna be a Hel of a year.
    You meant to say that, right?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    And here I was half-expecting them to be traditional twins (or at least go to the same hair stylist), and they held different implements (Sally a wrench, Andi a screwdriver) to help others tell them apart.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #318

BlueKnightGuy

The comic's been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while now, but the puns and wordplay in the titles just keep getting better. (Or worse, depending on how much you like puns.)
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

19. - Top - End - #319

RedWizardGuy

She seemed okay with the idea earlier, in 946.
    If you're referring to her comment... I'd suggest noting that she ends it with, "right?"

There are multiple ways to read that, but I'd suggest that absolute certainty isn't one of them. I think we will find out soon enough what her opinion is, when it comes to be her time to get bitten. Relatively speaking though, I'd much rather learn what the non-oots participants in the story are doing.

I am really curious if we've seen the last of Azure City. I suspect we have, but Rich has left that open.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you're referring to her comment... I'd suggest noting that she ends it with, "right?"

There are multiple ways to read that, but I'd suggest that absolute certainty isn't one of them. I think we will find out soon enough what her opinion is, when it comes to be her time to get bitten. Relatively speaking though, I'd much rather learn what the non-oots participants in the story are doing.

I am really curious if we've seen the last of Azure City. I suspect we have, but Rich has left that open.
    Azure City as in the physical location, or the refugees? Because the refugees are almost certainly going to come up again at least once more, so their plot can be resolved.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm sorry, I totally messed up my source. I don't know what I was thinking. I meant 939, where the blood drive is first brought up.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Azure City as in the physical location, or the refugees? Because the refugees are almost certainly going to come up again at least once more, so their plot can be resolved.
    How is their plot not resolved?

O-Chul and Lien might make a return appearance, assuming Xykon and Redcloak didn't kill them within seconds of showing up at Kraagor's Gate, but Hinjo, the Katos, and the rest of the refugees? What's their role?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

O-Chul and Lien might make a return appearance, assuming Xykon and Redcloak didn't kill them within seconds of showing up at Kraagor's Gate, but Hinjo, the Katos, and the rest of the refugees? What's their role?
    I don't know? That would be the point of them showing up again. Theyre clearly doing something, since Hinjo and some soldiers were in the middle of a fight when they got some bad news and had to run off, and we spent like two and some books following them around to some degree or another. At the very least we'll probably see a scene that shows how theyre doing since they landed, since glaring questions like "what happened to the population of Azure City after they disembarked?" are generally things you want either as sequel hooks or answered.

24. - Top - End - #324

Something to do with taking back Azure City. They probably won't succeed though

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: W&XPs
    Show
    Doesn't Belkar still have to save Hinjo's life one more time, as predicted by Sangwaan in the bonus comic

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

I don't know? That would be the point of them showing up again. Theyre clearly doing something, since Hinjo and some soldiers were in the middle of a fight when they got some bad news and had to run off, and we spent like two and some books following them around to some degree or another. At the very least we'll probably see a scene that shows how theyre doing since they landed, since glaring questions like "what happened to the population of Azure City after they disembarked?" are generally things you want either as sequel hooks or answered.
    They were fighting carrion crawlers in the elven ruins, trying to claim them for Azurite settlement, just like we were told they'd be doing at the end of Don't Split the Party. It's entirely consistent, and there's no mystery; they're establishing a new status quo for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Something to do with taking back Azure City. They probably won't succeed though
    For who? The fleet didn't leave with enough people to populate Azure City, and they lost a good number of people along the way. The population that stayed behind was enslaved or ethnically cleansed. Many of the slaves were massacred alongside the Resistance. Taking back Azure City is a pipe dream.

Spoiler: W&XPs
    Show
    Doesn't Belkar still have to save Hinjo's life one more time, as predicted by Sangwaan in the bonus comic
    Spoiler: War and XPs
    Show
    Not if you accept the theory that Belkar's killing the assassin and using the Eye of Fear and Flame to fireball the hobgoblin archers counted as his two life-savings.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-09-01 at 07:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They were fighting carrion crawlers in the elven ruins, trying to claim them for Azurite settlement, just like we were told they'd be doing at the end of Don't Split the Party. It's entirely consistent, and there's no mystery; they're establishing a new status quo for themselves.
    Ignoring for the moment the artistic license the carrion crawlers are treated with, if we were never intended to see Hinjo again we would not be given a scene of him clearly planning to do something, and we wouldn't need to see that the sending went through the resistance to Hinjo to the Order, we could have just seen the Order get a sending from an azurite. At the very least, Hinjo has a vested interest in making sure the last gate is as protected as possible, and they at the very least have the resources needed to get involved remotely.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Ignoring for the moment the artistic license the carrion crawlers are treated with, if we were never intended to see Hinjo again we would not be given a scene of him clearly planning to do something, and we wouldn't need to see that the sending went through the resistance to Hinjo to the Order, we could have just seen the Order get a sending from an azurite. At the very least, Hinjo has a vested interest in making sure the last gate is as protected as possible, and they at the very least have the resources needed to get involved remotely.
    Hinjo made exactly one appearance in Blood Runs in the Family. Where do you get "clearly planning to do something" from his expression, body language, or dialogue in that single panel? Or are you reaching back farther?

As for "making sure the last Gate is as protected as possible," Hinjo has already committed all his available resources, in the form of O-Chul and Lien, to that cause. He did that two books ago, and hasn't done anything since on that score other than relay a message to the Order. Hence my comment that we might see O-Chul and Lien again, but we won't be following the Azurite refugees or revisiting...let's call it the site of Soon's Rift.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-09-01 at 07:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915;18040126[spoiler=War and XPs
    Not if you accept the theory that Belkar's killing the assassin and using the Eye of Fear and Flame to fireball the hobgoblin archers counted as his two life-savings.[/spoiler]
    Ah, I thought I remembered there being a hypothesis like that. I don't accept it myself, but it's open to interpretation.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #330
    Banned

Hinjo made exactly one appearance in Blood Runs in the Family. Where do you get "clearly planning to do something" from his expression, body language, or dialogue in that single panel? Or are you reaching back farther?
    Niu is reporting the status of Azure City and Xykon, information that would only trigger the immediate reaction from Hinjo if he had an event-triggered plan on hold. I certainly remember reading that strip and thinking that Hinjo was about to march somewhere. I suppose he might have just wanted to contact Lien and O-Chul, though.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-09-02 at 01:57 AM.