New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Quote about fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Apart from anything else, even if you're trying to get a message across as your motivation for creating it, if it isn't entertaining, people won't engage with the "message" as well as they otherwise might, and possibly at all.
    He addresses this point in another post in that thread.

Which, incidentally, is why I keep hammering away at context context context. Isolating single sentences (or even worse, words) while ignoring everything else I think is an unwise thing to do.

I would also point out that he has said elsewhere (though I can't find the exact quote at the second) that if one has been "entertained" by the comic for the last 300 or 400 hundred strips, then one will (should) continue to be entertained in the future (ETA: the quote was actually about rules discussion, not writing FWIW - still instructive reading to see where Rich is coming from IMO).

IMO, what Rich is really saying is that he doesn't want his work to be Just Another Piece of Disposable Entertainment. That doesn't mean he doesn't want it to be Entertaining. It's just.. he wants it to be MORE than that.

Hardly a criticizable stance, I would have thought. But, even after all the decades I've been online, I still get surprised at what is or is not 'controversial' on the net.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-09-03 at 10:02 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dean Koontz has a character in the Seize the Night series that makes an interesting, related point; people wanting to "leave a mark" on the world are graffiti artists. Entertainment, teaching a Message, et al. I can see his point, to a degree.

Pursuit of knowledge, or approaching any art for the art's sake, is noble. It's self enrichment, answering one's own questions about the universe, or satisfying a need. Entertaining or stimulating growth in others is a nice byproduct, but should it be the central goal? Isn't the universe already wondrous enough without a t metaphorical "Killroy wuz here"?

Little too tired to go too in depth, especially when battling a tablet autocorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Cool idea. Cool name. I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Obviously this is how a Beholder's anti-magic eye works. It's not just negating magic, it's gathering valuable Vitamin A(rcane).
    I am a CN Human Wizard (5th Level)
    STR 8; DEX 10; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 10; CHA 9

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rich's views have evolved over the years and will continue to evolve. The archetypal lad craving fun for fun's sake, the young man with his strident pronouncements of philosophical correctness, the middle-aged pragmatist, the greybeard reveling in the miracle of it all. As long as there's talent and motivation we can enjoy the best of each phase.
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's actually a very good point. OotS has been going for ten years now, and it's quite unusual to see any sort of story develop over such a period of time. Even in the case of stories which took that long to write (e.g. The Lord of the Rings is a good example here) all the *reader* sees is the final result, which no doubt has a lot of the inconsistencies of tone edited out in the final draft. In the case of OotS we're seeing it as it's written, thus we tend to notice the changes in style and content moreso than other works.