New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder: Early game - Cleric is down problem

Playing a play-by-post game and on the second encounter the only healer ran in front of everyone to save a child in trouble. The rest of the party moved cautiously in, leaving the goblins two turns to beat on the cleric. After a few scratches, a crit where max damage was rolled took the cleric down below 0. My concern is that no one has a way to bring back the cleric. No one has heal, and we have an alchemist, but I don't think extracts can be used on someone else with out the infusion feature. I am hoping this is a lesson for the player, but at the same time I don't want this player to sit around doing nothing for the next few weeks any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder: Early game - Cleric is down problem

You hope this will be a lesson for the player? What lesson is that? Not to be a selfless hero? Not to trust his allies to have his back? Not to play a character as anything other than a selfish bastard?

Sorry, that line really angered me.

As to your problem: one of the goblins has a potion of cure light wounds on his person. He doesn't know what it is, all the goblin knows is that if he shakes it, it has a snowglobe effect of sparkling bits.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This happens to 1st level parties. Normal solution is that they rest up a week, or press on without a healer. In the first case: it's just game time so fast forward. In the second case: another tough encounter will force them to rest up until the healer is back online.

In any event this is a problem for the players to solve, not the DM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sidmen have a good idea. Have them find a potion around(on a corpse, hidden cache or something) so the cleric will at least wake up. They can manage from there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen View Post
    You hope this will be a lesson for the player? What lesson is that? Not to be a selfless hero? Not to trust his allies to have his back? Not to play a character as anything other than a selfish bastard?
    Heroes that rush in without a plan tend to not save very many people, because they're dead.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I have to agree that this is a problem for the characters to solve. Let them solve it; don't sabotage a working plan to recover, but let them figure it out on their own. In the process, they will learn a lot about how to make their tactics less brittle, and what they can do to have backup plans.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elucidus View Post
    we have an alchemist, but I don't think extracts can be used on someone else with out the infusion feature
    Alchemists get the Brew Potion feat at 1st level.
    A Cure potion costs 50gp.
    You can craft items costing less than 250gp in 2 hours.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

What's the problem? The heal check to stabilize a dying character is DC 15, and you don't need to be trained in the skill to do it. Stick the character with the highest WIS (after the cleric) on the case, describe the action well for a circumstance bonus, and roll the effing die.
    Alefiend, connoisseur of fine fermented beverages

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Given everyone's very varied suggestions, I see you have a rather vague situation.

cleric down below 0. My concern is that no one has a way to bring back the cleric....I am hoping this is a lesson for the player, but at the same time I don't want this player to sit around doing nothing for the next few weeks any ideas?
    Is the Cleric DEAD? And thus the player has NOTHING to do for a few weeks?
    Solution: Have him roll up another character.

Is the Cleric _right now_ at negative HP but not dying, and you need a quick answer in order to proceed with the game?
    Solution: Heal can be used Untrained, and there is no penalty for Failure. If all opponents are dead, then have EVERYONE attempt First Aid checks (DC 15). If some opponents remain, have 1 character attempt First Aid checks.

Is the Cleric stabilized, but at such a low HP total that it would take "weeks of recovery"?
    Solution: There is no problem here. It may take a day or 3 for the Cleric to get to 1hp with natural recovery, but then he can cast spells on himself and be up and around in an extra day at the worst. Also, the "Alchemist Brew Potion of Cure Light" mentioned above would have the Cleric up in 2 days at worst (1 day to get Cleric to 1hp, then Cleric heals self).
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen View Post

Sorry, that line really angered me.

As to your problem: one of the goblins has a potion of cure light wounds on his person. He doesn't know what it is, all the goblin knows is that if he shakes it, it has a snowglobe effect of sparkling bits.
    The Lesson: Not to run into the unknown, by yourself without a plan, or at least an idea of what you will do, especially as a character with little defense. Perhaps the player knows this and is playing an inexperienced character well, I don't know yet as I am waiting to talk to him until after this is over. You really shouldn't be so angry at anything anyone posts in an online forum, I want it to be a lesson, but not one that costs him his character or a lot of his time watching events happen. Not a bad idea on the potion though. Thank you.

This happens to 1st level parties. Normal solution is that they rest up a week, or press on without a healer. In the first case: it's just game time so fast forward. In the second case: another tough encounter will force them to rest up until the healer is back online.

In any event this is a problem for the players to solve, not the DM.
    Normally this is true, but it is a raid on their town, so they cannot take down time right now as the raid continues with at least one more fight. The heal check could work to save the character's life. There is a church near the town square, perhaps the cleric is running around trying to heal people?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Given everyone's very varied suggestions, I see you have a rather vague situation.

Is the Cleric DEAD? And thus the player has NOTHING to do for a few weeks?
    Solution: Have him roll up another character.

Is the Cleric _right now_ at negative HP but not dying, and you need a quick answer in order to proceed with the game?
    Solution: Heal can be used Untrained, and there is no penalty for Failure. If all opponents are dead, then have EVERYONE attempt First Aid checks (DC 15). If some opponents remain, have 1 character attempt First Aid checks.

Is the Cleric stabilized, but at such a low HP total that it would take "weeks of recovery"?
    Solution: There is no problem here. It may take a day or 3 for the Cleric to get to 1hp with natural recovery, but then he can cast spells on himself and be up and around in an extra day at the worst. Also, the "Alchemist Brew Potion of Cure Light" mentioned above would have the Cleric up in 2 days at worst (1 day to get Cleric to 1hp, then Cleric heals self).
    Yeah I forgot to mention a very important fact, the town is being raided and they are supposed to save it

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Normally this is true, but it is a raid on their town, so they cannot take down time right now as the raid continues with at least one more fight. The heal check could work to save the character's life. There is a church near the town square, perhaps the cleric is running around trying to heal people?
    Ah, in media res — this is probably the best course of events then.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Ah, in media res — this is probably the best course of events then.
    Yeah I guess I will leave it up to the players, if they look at the gear for help, there will be a potion, if they look for someone to help there will be a priest. I kow this seemed like a simple problem, thanks for the help though guys.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah I forgot to mention a very important fact, the town is being raided and they are supposed to save it

Which still doesn't answer the primary question of "is the Cleric dead, dying or stabilized?"
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Heroes that rush in without a plan tend to not save very many people, because they're dead.
    What large and smart plan can you think of when you see a kid that is killed by Goblins in the next 1-2 rounds? Asking them to stop?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'd go with the potion idea. Also, have the cleric succeed on his stabilize roll and that way they can simply take 20 to revive him if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post

Which still doesn't answer the primary question of "is the Cleric dead, dying or stabilized?"
    She was dying, but just stabilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    What large and smart plan can you think of when you see a kid that is killed by Goblins in the next 1-2 rounds? Asking them to stop?
    I don't know follow the guy in heavy armor as he runs in, instead of running in first? or shooting the nearest goblin to get their attention? or yelling Obscenities at them to get their attention? Cast a light/dancing light spell to get their attention...you know just get their attention in general? Sorry, couldn't resist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Step 0. Have someone other than the Cleric have a cure potion, wand, spell, item, and/or scroll in case he goes down.

Step 1. Let the fighter get in first and kick some goblin behind. In the meantime, shoot the goblins, cast spells, taunt them.. Just do anything which doesn't get you skewered or include the kid in a damaging AoE. Delay initiative if necessary.

Step 2. Support the fighter and don't get massacred.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-09-01 at 02:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

My wife actually figured it out on her own. I forgot as well as everyone else in the group we are fighting not 20 feet from the new temple. So she went inside to grab a priest. I do appreciate everyone's help.