New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Movies you like - and almost nobody else

Sometimes movies get really super popular, even though you think they are just bad and don't deserve any of their reputation.
    But the opposite also happens. Movies that have an absolutely terrible reputation, and while you can see why some people have issues with them, you still think they are genuinely enjoyable.

I'd like to hear what movies of that kind you have.

John Carter: It's a bit formulaic and the action isn't amazing, but I think as sci-fi-fantasy-action movies go, this one is actually quite good.
    Star Trek III: The common saying goes that the even numbered Star Trek movies are the great ones and the odd numbered ones the terrible ones. But I think Star Trek III is actually quite good (and Star Trek IV completely stupid). What this movie lacks is a story that is worth telling, and it doesn't have the effects and fights that would make it work as an action movie either. But I think the execution is very well done and it's just enjoyable to watch between 2 and 6.
    Sleepy Hollow: Not really much to say there, but I think it's not a bad movie and I enjoy it.
    I, Robot: Basically the same thing as the others. It's not a great story and not a great dumb action movie, but I often watch movies primarily for the style and presentation, and I think in that regard this one creates a pretty good picture.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Movies you like - and almost nobody else

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    John Carter: It's a bit formulaic and the action isn't amazing, but I think as sci-fi-fantasy-action movies go, this one is actually quite good.
    I loved this one. Best movie of the year, handily beating the Avengers in my book.
    Also, I quite liked Sucker Punch "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", "Van Helsing"
    Actually, I can't say almost no one else, because several people I know IRL like these movies, it's just that the internet seems to dislike them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the I, Robot movie to.

lets see, I also liked Titan AE.

Star Wars Episode 1

Road to El Dorado

Pirates of the Caribbean in general

I think I still have fond memories of some older Pokemon movies. for some reason Pokemon 2001 Movie always stuck in my mind, as well the third one with Entei and the Unknown, beyond that it just starts getting ridiculous but Mewtwo Returns I liked because it had Mewtwo actually trying to be heroic and trying to defend himself and his people from Giovanni and team rocket....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Personally I thought Rush was the best film last year. Though apparently few people saw it in this neck of the woods.
    and I kinda liked Jurassic Park 3 . . . it was stupid but a fun stupid. same with van Helsing.
    I like "Oscar Bait" type movies in general so it more a problem of nobody seeing them than those people not liking them.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2014-09-02 at 06:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked both Silent Hill movies a fair bit (first more than second), some of the Resident Evil films (apart from the nasty way they treat canon characters), and the SW prequels. None of these are particlarly popular films.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I liked both Sleepy Hollow and Titan AE - I thought both of them have pretty big followings! And my dad is a big fan of John Carter.

I thought Star Wars Episode 3 is okay. Not as good as the original trilogy, but alright. Definitely better than Episodes 1 and 2.

I liked 300 as a big, dumb action movie. It's not exactly an unpopular flick, but most highbrow audiences look down on it - for reasons I understand and agree with, but I still enjoyed the movie.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2014-09-02 at 07:05 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I don't know how many of these are movies that no one else likes, mostly because I so rarely see people discussing them at all. That said, here goes.

Next - It's Nick Cage, so that's a mark against it for many people by itself, but I thought it was surprisingly good.

The Core - it's another save the world from a supposedly natural disaster while the whole world falls apart. The science is just laughable, and it was pretty predictable all told, but I still had fun watching it.

Ironclad - Despite the historical inaccuracies, it still had some really nice fight scenes and an overall ok story.

There's probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

As for movies others have mentioned,

Star Trek 3, it was certainly the best of the odd numbered original series movies.

Titan A.E. was really good. Never heard anything bad about it.

I, Robot. I thought it was pretty good. I think it would have been better if it were less tied to Isaac Asimov's story. I think I, Robot the book could have made for an interesting and engaging movie, albeit not a summer blockbuster.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I kinda liked Jurassic Park 3 . . . it was stupid but a fun stupid. same with van Helsing.
    The problem with Jurassic park 3 is that it’s so forgettable. The first one is the one everyone remembers because it was so awesome. The second one was so bad and irritating that you remember it. But the third one just sort of happened. You see it and are like “meh”. That to me is the worst thing that can happen to a movie that the audience forgets about it.

People remember things that piss them off, or things that are so bad you crack up laughing, or things that are breathtaking or blow your mind. But when it’s dull or uninteresting, un-engaging or just boring then people forget about it and it dies.

Van Helsing is at least entertaining and memorable.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Omg so many I could list. I live among a sea of rednecks so most of the films I like are unheard of.

Bronson
    Under the Skin
    Red Hill
    The Lords of Salem
    The Hunter
    Good for Nothing
    Antibodies
    Barton Fink
    Late Bloomer
    A Horrible Way to Die
    Sweetwater
    Here COmes the Devil
    Violet and Daisy
    The Loved Ones
    Sheitan
    We Are What We Are (original version)
    Red White and Blue
    Big Ass Spider
    Banshee Chapter
    Acolytes
    Resolution
    Stoker
    Jug Face
    Sightseers
    Storage 24
    The Barrens
    Grabbers
    One Hour Photo
    Europa Report
    Frankensteins Army
    Absentia
    Triangle
    The Horde
    The Shrine
    Grace
    Calvaire
    Old Men in New Cars
    My Joy
    Cat Run
    Down Terrace
    Killing Them Softly
    Yellow Sea
    The Day
    7 Psychopaths
    John Dies at the End
    Meeting Evil
    Salvation Boulevard
    God Bless America
    The Guard
    Red Shadow
    Epitaph
    Kill List
    Salvage
    The Tunnel
    Juan of the Dead
    Outcast
    The Devil's Rock
    The FIelds
    Rabies
    The Perfect Host
    The Kid with the Golden Arm
    Norwegian Ninja
    Cold FIsh
    Bajo la Sal
    Phase 7
    Rammbock
    Kill!
    My Young AUntie
    The QUiet Family
    Matando Cabos
    The Woman
    Prey
    A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop
    Timecrimes
    The Lost Skeleton of Kedavra
    The Last Circus
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Wild Target
    Terribly Happy
    Shiver
    Lo
    My FUhrer
    Incident at Blood Pass
    Unconscious
    Trollhunter
    Black House
    CHocolate
    Winnebago Man
    Dead FIsh
    In the Loop
    WIld Zero
    The Good the Bad the Weird
    The SHuttered Room
    It!
    Prophecy
    The Reeds
    I Sell the Dead
    Carved

I could go on forever. Downside of being a movie reviewer
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Omg so many I could list. I live among a sea of rednecks so most of the films I like are unheard of.

Spoiler: For Brevity
    Show
    Bronson
    Under the Skin
    Red Hill
    The Lords of Salem
    The Hunter
    Good for Nothing
    Antibodies
    Barton Fink
    Late Bloomer
    A Horrible Way to Die
    Sweetwater
    Here COmes the Devil
    Violet and Daisy
    The Loved Ones
    Sheitan
    We Are What We Are (original version)
    Red White and Blue
    Big Ass Spider
    Banshee Chapter
    Acolytes
    Resolution
    Stoker
    Jug Face
    Sightseers
    Storage 24
    The Barrens
    Grabbers
    One Hour Photo
    Europa Report
    Frankensteins Army
    Absentia
    Triangle
    The Horde
    The Shrine
    Grace
    Calvaire
    Old Men in New Cars
    My Joy
    Cat Run
    Down Terrace
    Killing Them Softly
    Yellow Sea
    The Day
    7 Psychopaths
    John Dies at the End
    Meeting Evil
    Salvation Boulevard
    God Bless America
    The Guard
    Red Shadow
    Epitaph
    Kill List
    Salvage
    The Tunnel
    Juan of the Dead
    Outcast
    The Devil's Rock
    The FIelds
    Rabies
    The Perfect Host
    The Kid with the Golden Arm
    Norwegian Ninja
    Cold FIsh
    Bajo la Sal
    Phase 7
    Rammbock
    Kill!
    My Young AUntie
    The QUiet Family
    Matando Cabos
    The Woman
    Prey
    A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop
    Timecrimes
    The Lost Skeleton of Kedavra
    The Last Circus
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Wild Target
    Terribly Happy
    Shiver
    Lo
    My FUhrer
    Incident at Blood Pass
    Unconscious
    Trollhunter
    Black House
    CHocolate
    Winnebago Man
    Dead FIsh
    In the Loop
    WIld Zero
    The Good the Bad the Weird
    The SHuttered Room
    It!
    Prophecy
    The Reeds
    I Sell the Dead
    Carved

I could go on forever. Downside of being a movie reviewer
    Everyone I've shown Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Lo to actually liked them. They're just not widely known, I suspect. I think it's likely the same for The Perfect Host, but I've not shown that to anyone yet.

There's movies like Pontypool or In The Mouth of Madness I'd add here, but I honestly don't know what the general movie viewing audience thinks of it. I really liked them, though.

I liked Star Trek: Generations the best of the TNG Star Trek movies. Each new one was a little worse than the one before. Generations was just sort of 'bleh', so I don't get why everyone hates it as much as they do. The later entries are all worse.

Star Wars: Episode 3 was the most enjoyable SW movie I've seen. While quite stupid, at least it was engaging in a mindless sort of way.

The Super Mario Brothers movie is pretty silly, but it's not awful. It's decent for its genre (which seems to me was styled to be an 80's post-apocalypse movie. No idea how that made sense to the people making it).

I don't really like that many movies I like that nobody else enjoys. Usually with me it's the opposite. Those movies I do like which are weird usually end up being ones I don't know if other people have even seen.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    The problem with Jurassic park 3 is that it’s so forgettable. The first one is the one everyone remembers because it was so awesome. The second one was so bad and irritating that you remember it. But the third one just sort of happened. You see it and are like “meh”. That to me is the worst thing that can happen to a movie that the audience forgets about it. ....
    The thing is I spent my HS years working at a museum of paleontology (why I picked my boarding school). And it was bad. I also liked the attempt to work in more of sequel book at times. I get your point I just don't share it with this movie.

And Bhu

Bronson-Love
    Under the Skin-Love
    Red Hill-Eh
    The Lords of Salem-no thanx
    Barton Fink-good
    The Loved Ones-I'm not sure tthis is the same one I'm thinking it is but if it is it was good
    Red White and Blue-
    Stoker-God grief to I love this movie
    Grabbers-*snicker**chuckle*ROFLMAO
    One Hour Photo-Loved it
    Europa Report-mixed bag
    Killing Them Softly-not bad but never connected
    7 Psychopaths-Was not for me but I see the appeal
    John Dies at the End-never bit
    Salvage-Fun
    The Kid with the Golden Arm-not my thing
    Prey-I fell asleep
    Trollhunter-I question your taste
    It!-and possibly your sence of humour

I generally like your taste

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I like the Matrix sequels... more Reloaded than Revolutions.

I liked the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie, wasn't a particularly good Final Fantasy movie but it was an interesting adult-oriented CG movie.

I thought Only God Forgives was one of the best movies of the year, although I totally understand why people don't like it.

The Black Cauldron... isn't exactly hated to my knowledge, but completely forgotten.

I don't know if people hate it per say, but David Lynch's Dune was critically panned upon release despite being awesome.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

And Bhu

The Loved Ones-I'm not sure tthis is the same one I'm thinking it is but if it is it was good
    It!-and possibly your sence of humour

I generally like your taste
    THe Loved Ones I meant is this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/

Also there are several films titled IT!, I'm referring to this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061826/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Beermug: I can't find anyone who thinks of Lo as even watchable. I've managed to get one guy to like Tucker and Dale. Most of the locals are more into Larry the Cable Guy movies or Adam Sandler. Bleah.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I liked the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie, wasn't a particularly good Final Fantasy movie but it was an interesting adult-oriented CG movie.

I don't know if people hate it per say, but David Lynch's Dune was critically panned upon release despite being awesome.
    I enjoyed FF:The Spirits Within for the animation quality and the tech design (the parachute replacement for airdrop insertions for example). The movie itself wasn't that great; when my girlfriend and I went to see it, we were both somewhat disappointed to the extent that we went and saw Rush Hour straight afterwards, which was much more enjoyable.

I like David Lynch's Dune - it's not a patch on the book, but the visual designs and style are amazing.

On a separate note, I went into Dale and Tucker extremely dubious - only the fact that it had Alan Tudyk, got me to watch it in the first place - but I enjoyed it immensely simply due to that way it flipped the horror conventions around.
    300 I liked for exactly the same reasons as Tengu_temp did.

Movies that I enjoyed that nobody else in my family does: When I Fall In Love With Both.
    It's a Cantonese anthology with three separate stories about women who end in a choice between two men. My favourite is the second story:

Spoiler: Film description
    Show

A woman is getting married to her policeman fiance and shortly before the wedding, his twin brother (who she's never met) comes back from studying abroad to be a doctor.

Since he's unfamiliar with Hong Kong now, he stays with them and she shows him around the city. During which time, they get to know each other and they really click, much more than her and the fiance, with similar dreams, hopes and outlook on life.

This carries on until one drunken night after a party, they all pile home drunk and she ends up sleeping with the doctor, mistaking him for her fiance. They realise their mistake, but decide it was what they wanted and agree to elope together.
    On the way to the airport, the doctor suddenly gets a massive pain in his midriff and realise something's wrong with his brother, in a twin telepathy situation - they find out that the policeman was on a bust and had been stabbed seriously in the process.

When the policeman wakes up in hospital, he sees his fiancee and his brother sitting by his bedside and says "I'm so lucky to have you both in my life", at which point the fiancee and doctor share a look, knowing that they can't betray him and have to swallow their feelings for each other.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Beermug: I can't find anyone who thinks of Lo as even watchable. I've managed to get one guy to like Tucker and Dale. Most of the locals are more into Larry the Cable Guy movies or Adam Sandler. Bleah.
    Actually, I can sort of understand that sentiment for Lo.
    Spoiler: Light critique
    Show
    Don't get me wrong, Lo is really great, but there are a couple of scenes that don't quite work out as well as the rest of the movie. If the rest of it wasn't engaging, which is partly going to be a matter of personal taste, those scenes would be torture to sit through.

I got the impression that it was made by very talented people who were making a movie for the first time. It wound up being good, but wasn't polished in the way a real professional movie tends to be.

But Tucker and Dale? Wow. I don't get how that could happen at all.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Late at night, so I'll just list one for now.

Aeon Flux.

Yes, you read that right. I found it to be a film that captured more of the shorts than many people give it credit for (when it comes to tone and style) AND told a compelling story on its own terms. I understand it gets a lot of hate, but I actually think it is a pretty good SF film on its own merits.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-09-03 at 03:05 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Most of the movies I like, many people around me have never heard of. As a small example:

Sunshine. Space SF movie, focused on the psychological impact more than anything (except for a rather jarring genre change somewhere in the middle, and again near the end). Visuals and atmosphere are absolutely stunning. Probably my favourite movie of all time.

Jarhead. A war movie without the war. I honestly think it's this generation's Full Metal Jacket.

The Kingdom. A bit maligned due to its heavy-handed politics, but again I think it's a really powerful character-driven movie.

I actually liked Immortals. Some great set pieces, and the set design had this sparse and desolate feel. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I loved it anyway. The action was even more stylised than 300, and I liked that as well.

Personally I thought Rush was the best film last year.
    Word.

I like the Matrix sequels... more Reloaded than Revolutions.

Agreed on all three counts. (Although I actually like Revolutions more.) Spirits Within had great CGI, and a great idea. Story... not so much. Dune was psychedelic and insane, but damned if it didn't do the job.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Let's see on my top 20 the following movies have generally poor receptions:

Bicentennial Man, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Tank Girl, Let Me In, Attack of the Clones (the only Star Wars on the list), Book of Eli, Sucker Punch.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Virtually every bad movie ever, especially the horror ones.

Also, Twilight & The Cable Guy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I enjoyed FF:The Spirits Within for the animation quality and the tech design (the parachute replacement for airdrop insertions for example). The movie itself wasn't that great;
    Pretty much this. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but about every single FF game has a stronger plot than the movie. Maybe apart from I and II. Kind of a shame, even though I understand how you can't put 10 hours of story in a 90 minute movie. The visual for its time were stunning, though.

On a separate note, I went into Dale and Tucker extremely dubious - only the fact that it had Alan Tudyk, got me to watch it in the first place - but I enjoyed it immensely simply due to that way it flipped the horror conventions around.
    There are people who don't like Tucker and Dale? I mean not "people who never heard of it" or "people who don't like the genre" but people who knew what they are in for and didn't enjoy it? I never knew...

In general, I'm pretty easy to please. There are a few things I don't think are as great as some/many people claim but on the other hand I like a lot of stuff other people consider rubbish. (including the Star Wars prequels. Don't get me wrong, they are not great but they kept me entertained for the most part. Obviously, there are far better movies out there. But I dare say.. there are also better movies than the original trilogy.) The same is true for most other trilogies. I guess I just go into the generic action movie with less expectations than others. That said, I never saw any of the new Transformer movies, so I can't judge them.
    Otherwise... I can't really think of that many generally unpopular movies. Oh, wait, almost anything Shyamalan made. Uh... it's been a while since I saw Sixth Sense but back then I thought it was pretty good. And I didn't "hate" Village when I saw it years ago. Everything else he did, though...

What else are "movies nobody likes" (but obviously people still know)?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

It's been a long time, but when I saw it I thought 12 Monkeys wasn't bad. Certainly strange and an ambigous type of surprising, but not bad.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's been a long time, but when I saw it I thought 12 Monkeys wasn't bad. Certainly strange and an ambigous type of surprising, but not bad.
    I did like that movie! Only one friend in my local circle shared that opinion. Has a somewhat creepy theme at the beginning I like.

I also liked Road to El Dorado. Miguel and Tulio act so much like my brother and I that we both found the movie hilarious. I guess it's just the way that bit clicked with us.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

That's an unliked movie? It was both a critical and commercial success. And it's also awesome.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I enjoyed FF:The Spirits Within for the animation quality and the tech design
    You likedFF: TSW? We are beginning to be a little crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    That's an unliked movie? It was both a critical and commercial success. And it's also awesome.
    I could sign for another thread: "Movies you dislike - and almost nobody else"
    I'd vote for 12 monkeys.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, I feel like most of these movies aren't movies that "almost nobody else" likes. Taking the first post:

51% on RT. So half of reviewers gave it a positive score.

Star Trek III: The common saying goes that the even numbered Star Trek movies are the great ones and the odd numbered ones the terrible ones. But I think Star Trek III is actually quite good (and Star Trek IV completely stupid). What this movie lacks is a story that is worth telling, and it doesn't have the effects and fights that would make it work as an action movie either. But I think the execution is very well done and it's just enjoyable to watch between 2 and 6.
    78%.

Sleepy Hollow: Not really much to say there, but I think it's not a bad movie and I enjoy it.
    67%

I, Robot: Basically the same thing as the others. It's not a great story and not a great dumb action movie, but I often watch movies primarily for the style and presentation, and I think in that regard this one creates a pretty good picture.
    and this one's got 58%

I feel like once you've got over half of the reviewers giving a film a positive review (and movie going audiences tend to be even more forgiving than critics) you're not dealing with a film that almost nobody else likes.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

26. - Top - End - #26

kpenguin, I don't think a 50% score on Rotten Tomatoes counts as fresh. It could count 20-30 years ago maybe, but in modern times where a review of 9/10 means "good' (as opposed to excellent and near flawless) and 6/10 means "barely tolerable piece of crap"? Something better than that is required.

Now my own entry in this thread is the Sphere movie. Everyone I know thinks it's a piece of crap. I enjoyed it, and not in the so bad it's good/guilty pleasure kind of way. I thought it was well done and suspenseful.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I was gauging the "and almost nobody else" to mean among one's local circle of friends when you get together on Saturday evenings to watch some DVDs.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I rather liked both Amazing Spiderman films, and also both Sherlock Holmes films. A Game of Shadows is an excellent Victorian pulp flick.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #29

The Black Cauldron... isn't exactly hated to my knowledge, but completely forgotten.
    This is the only film I've seen so far. I loved it when I saw it (and was scared, because I was little and it had walking skeletons. I still hate those today.).

I would like to nominate Rock and Rule, which is a ridiculous animation. It's not So Bad it's Good, It's so Dumb it's Awesome. Basically its about a fading rockstar seeking to summon a demon to destroy the world, and a random band caught up against him with little idea what they're doing. The art and misic oozes Eighties, I'm not sure who the target audience is, the plot isn't entirely coherent or well paced and there's a couple of musical bit that come out of nowhere. I love it, and not just because of the so Bad it's Good factor.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I loved John Carter, but the film was unfortunately a box office bomb. I’m not sure why, it’s beautiful to watch and quite fun. It’s possible the source material is too old to actually be relevant for a general audience. I mean the source material is over 100 years old.

Sphere was decent, not really my style of sci-fi (I’m more a space opera guy), but I think it pulled off it’s ideas well.

I though the Sherlock Holmes films were universally loved. I’m not sure on the Amazing Spiderman films, I liked them better than the first movies they put out.

One I loved but everyone else hated is the X-men Origins Wolverine movie. the movie is not without its faults (some as big as the San Andreas), but it’s a fun if stupid movie.