New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Movies you like - and almost nobody else

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Do you take review requests, Bhu? I'd really like to get your opinion of Funky Forest.

There's a couple clips of how weird it is, but its rating (18 over here) means that I can't link to the clips on this forum.
    It's in my netflix queue, I really wanna see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilehus View Post
    Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

The single dumbest movie I have ever seen. But it WORKS. It's like someone took the censor filter off of Looney Tunes, jammed it into an old kung fu movie, and put the result on the screen. Not one I'm proud of knowing the script to by heart, but it never fails to make me laugh.

And all my friends and family hate it.

Have you ever watched it with the alternate soundtracks? Especially the one thats what they're actually saying?

"You are the pie man, I have come many miles to taste of your fabulous pies."
    Last edited by Bhu; 2014-09-05 at 01:45 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Seriously though, street fighter: the movie is horribly bad, but it's worth it to watch Raúl Juliá ham it up and chew the scenery like a goat. He knew exactly what sort of film it was going to be going into it and he clearly had a lot of fun making it. Besides legend has it he made it just for his kids who were big street fighter fans. That honestly, kinda tickles me.
    The story I heard is that he asked his children what his final film should be (as mentioned earlier, he was in the final stages of stomach cancer) and they picked Streetfighter for him, helping him prepare for the role as a way of spending time with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    It's in my netflix queue, I really wanna see it!
    A word of warning, it's very Japanese in places - the clip I saw had a school doctor 'scolding' (a mixture of insults, humiliation and other verbal/physical abuse) this plant/leech thing off a pupil it had attached itself to, with the signature Japanese rising and lowering tone of voice that's often used.

Not that it should be an issue for you, but I feel it's fair to warn people in advance (the expression on my wife's face as she saw the clip was priceless ).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-09-05 at 02:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

John Carter. There seems to be three types of people with the movie: people who have seen this movie and loved it; people who heard it sucks and therefore believe it sucks; and people who saw it without any idea of what they were watching and didn't get it. When I went to see this on release morning there was actually a line to see it - and 9am in the morning. When I stepped up to the counter, the teenager behind the register held up a hand. "Excuse me, WHAT is this movie? I haven't even heard of it and it's the only thing I've sold tickets for so far today..."

Street Fighter The Movie. Frankly, almost as hard as I have ever laughed at a movie in a theatre. Yes, I saw it in the theatre :) To this day, "Quick! Change the channel!" and "You got... paid?" are permanent parts of my lexicon.

Lone Ranger. Perfect film? No. Anywhere near as bad as some people make it sound? Also no. I seem to be on the short list that actively enjoyed it though - you have to remember Tonto is an unreliable narrator here (hence how he narrates parts he couldn't have seen...).

The Phantom. I was surprised to find out that this is a widely mocked movie. This is one of my top 15 or so movies period and spent many years in the top 5.

Sky High. Yep, Disney. It's more that people aren't aware of it than that it's hated, though. I thought they did a good job of both homaging and parodying their source material.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-09-05 at 01:54 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Lone Ranger. Perfect film? No. Anywhere near as bad as some people make it sound? Also no. I seem to be on the short list that actively enjoyed it though - you have to remember Tonto is an unreliable narrator here (hence how he narrates parts he couldn't have seen...).
    I enjoyed it as well, and there's a big hint on Tonto being an unreliable narrator - Crow is a trickster spirit in NA mythology.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest At World's End - I don't think the second and third films in this series are hated exactly, but I do remember seeing a lot more negative opinions on them than I expected. I thought the entire trilogy was quite good, though the first film is definitely the best and the third feels a bit too long and suffers from some pacing problems. Overall I still think they're very good. PotC: On Stranger Tides though... not so much.
    So true! I remember being all "hey, I liked Movies 2 and 3" when a bunch of my friends were like "ewwwww those were awful, the only awesome Pirates movie was 1". I had a few kindred spirits on that, though.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I personally quite enjoyed the 4th Pirates movie. I got exactly what I expected out of it.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-09-05 at 03:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree on the fourth Pirates film...it's fun! And actually, I think the third might be my favorite, how's that for a minority opinion! For that matter, I liked the fourth Indiana Jones (it was fun, damnit!) And even in the minority on this thread, I liked the third Matrix movie. It took me ages to see it, after not liking the second (which I did like better on a second viewing), but watching all three in a row is great fun!

Oh, and glad to see so much Kung Pow love! Both fans and people who dislike it describe it the same way: it's a stupid, stupid movie. "taco bell, taco bell, product placement for taco bell". Seconding the alternate dubbings...the "book on tape" version is pretty funny too.

And Bhu, I do own all Larry Blamire's films on DVD (though the first Skeleton is the only one I caught in the theater). Big fan! It's been a while, time for a new film! For fans of bad movies, the two I always recommend are Virtual Combat (starring Don "The Dragon" Wilson) and Sinbad of the Seven Seas (starring Lou Ferrigno). I never get sick of those!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

I also like all four Pirates movies, but I didn't realize that they were generally despised, which is why I didn't list them earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #69

Heh. I still remember coming back from the movie theaters, in awe of how awesome the newest Superman movie was, only to find people on the internet talking about how terrible it was. My opinion has only slightly changed, as I still think it's pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a good step in the direction of making a great Superman movie. And I definitely think it's better than the Reeves/Donner films, and I'm super excited for Dawn of Justice.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

I like the last movie I watched , but my friends no . It was Lucy (2014) .

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    For that matter, I liked the fourth Indiana Jones (it was fun, damnit!)
    Same here. It's a load of silly popcorn nonsense, just like the first three Indiana Jones movies. Aside from having Shia La Beouf stink the place up, I thought it was fine - although admittedly every time I've seen it I've managed to miss the first 5 minutes or so, so I've never actually seen the bit with the fridge that everyone moans about. It's a tactic I recommend.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    YES. I saw the movie randomly, and I had no idea why people hated it so much. The world was so cool! And they did a great job with the costume and set design.
    Teenage me liked that movie, but I haven't seen it since. LOoking at the dates, I probably didn't see it when it came out (I was eight), but for twelve-ish year old me, watching it on TV, it had everything a movie needed. A cool setting, action scenes, giant sea monsters, nudity, explosions and a pretty standard adventure story.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I greatly enjoyed watching the 2011 movie of A Chinese Ghost Story. It's technical production values are... let's say mediocre, and the acting probably didn't get anyone an award. But I think it feels right. Like a really well made B-movie. No idea if that's how the creators saw it, though.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Teenage me liked that movie, but I haven't seen it since. LOoking at the dates, I probably didn't see it when it came out (I was eight), but for twelve-ish year old me, watching it on TV, it had everything a movie needed. A cool setting, action scenes, giant sea monsters, nudity, explosions and a pretty standard adventure story.
    I thought the jetski biker gang cult based out of the oil tanker was really awesome, too.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Rigor Mortis. It's a hopping vampire film that's a bittersweet homage to hopping vampire films, whose main character is a washed up actor from hopping vampire films, played by an actor known for his role in hopping vampire films.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    The story I heard is that he asked his children what his final film should be (as mentioned earlier, he was in the final stages of stomach cancer) and they picked Streetfighter for him, helping him prepare for the role as a way of spending time with each other.
    Yeah I don’t know if it’s at all true, but that lines up nicely with what I was saying. I like to think it is, because you know, bitter sweetness and all.

I also really enjoyed The Phantom. It was exactly what it was advertised to be and I wasn’t disappointed. I even own a copy on blue ray. Another bad but fun golden age super hero movie is The Shadow.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Yeah I don’t know if it’s at all true, but that lines up nicely with what I was saying. I like to think it is, because you know, bitter sweetness and all.

I also really enjoyed The Phantom. It was exactly what it was advertised to be and I wasn’t disappointed. I even own a copy on blue ray. Another bad but fun golden age super hero movie is The Shadow.
    THE SHADOW?!

((I've watched "The Gamers" way too much.))

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    ((I've watched "The Gamers" way too much.))
    Not. Possible.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    The Black Cauldron... isn't exactly hated to my knowledge, but completely forgotten.
    Heh, I keep meaning to watch this one. I only know of it because it was the first movie my parents tried to take me to see in the theatre. Problem is I was three years old and sitting quietly through a feature-length film was not something I was capable of yet, so it has a mild bit of infamy in my parents' household for that.

20. - Top - End - #80

watch the Black Cauldron! Love it (doubly so keeping in perspective Disney at the time). Then read the books, wish the adaptation was better, crowdfund someone to direct it and get me to do the score....but appreciate the film for what it was, and when it was.

When I went to Disney World in 93 (as a huge Black Cauldron fan), almost all traces had been washed clean. I found one original animation cel for sale for $200. I did not buy it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Hi Raz_Fox! I'm
    Stalking you preemptively!

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    I don't know how many of these are movies that no one else likes, mostly because I so rarely see people discussing them at all. That said, here goes.

Next - It's Nick Cage, so that's a mark against it for many people by itself, but I thought it was surprisingly good.
    Is that the one with time prediction? That was boss!

I liked bicentennial man a lot more than anyone else I've met who likes bicentennial man.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Speaking of Robin Williams, Death to Smoochy. I found it to be darkly hilarious and touching all at the same time. I am apparently alone in this.

23. - Top - End - #83

both death to smoochy and bicentennial man were excellent films, with Williams stepping outside the caricature that he had become. Adding to that list, What Dreams May Come...not sure how people feel about that film, but it's beautiful and I love it. To that point: The Fountain. Do we all love that? We should.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

To that point: The Fountain. Do we all love that? We should.
    It's on my favourite film list, somewhere.

I've read so many critiques of the film that are just kind of painful in their obtuseness. I'm not claiming some art house intellectual status here, but it's just not indecipherable nor metaphysically messy.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Beermug: I can't find anyone who thinks of Lo as even watchable.
    But that was so great...they look over the shoulder crawling away....the 2009 daemon story version I'm going off of not the international alternate title of No the story of the referendum against Pinochet which I thought fair but not all that interesting since I prefer such things in a documentary format.

both death to smoochy and bicentennial man were excellent films, with Williams stepping outside the caricature that he had become....
    If you can watch and find joy in death to smoochy then good on you-I can't watch that thing as it is actively painful to sit through. The part that are "satire" are so painful that I don't have any time for the rest of the film. Then again I was it seems the only person in the theatre to feel that way...Which since I was on a double header movie date and had been one of the three people in the theatre to laugh at Gosford Park only minutes before (which all three of us thought was too hilarious for words but I knew where they were sitting) had a touch of karmic balance.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2014-09-07 at 01:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

I tend to have a much more lenient view of sequels than a lot of people. It's not that the movies aren't liked, per se (although in some cases, they're not), but everyone's so quick with "not as good as the original". Airplane II, Ghostbusters II, goodness knows how many others I can't think of at the moment....

Oh, and Disney's version of Robin Hood, which seems to get roundly criticized for recycling animation, and various other production issues. To me, they just aren't as glaring as they are to everyone else. Maybe that's just the childhood nostalgia filter, but even watching a few months ago, and even spotting more of the issues than I did as a child, I think it's well done.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Speaking of Robin Williams, Death to Smoochy. I found it to be darkly hilarious and touching all at the same time. I am apparently alone in this.
    Oh, you're not alone. That's a fantastic little black comedy.

Police Officer: Sir, are you alright?
    Rainbow Randall: I dunno. I'm pretty messed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Most of these sound like they are liked by at least some other people: the Matrix sequels, Pirates sequels, John Carter, etc

I like many old-school kung fu flicks (Shaw Bros, Yuen Wo Ping, Lau Kar Leung, etc) which, while not appreciated by the general population, are well liked by other kung fu movie aficionados.

Here's one I bet nobody anywhere else actually likes: Nacho Libre. I can't help it. Jack Black's physical humor and fake accent is too much for me not to keep laughing.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Here's one I bet nobody anywhere else actually likes: Nacho Libre. I can't help it. Jack Black's physical humor and fake accent is too much for me not to keep laughing.
    Oh, I love that one!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    But that was so great...they look over the shoulder crawling away....the 2009 daemon story version I'm going off of not the international alternate title of No the story of the referendum against Pinochet which I thought fair but not all that interesting since I prefer such things in a documentary format.

If you can watch and find joy in death to smoochy then good on you-I can't watch that thing as it is actively painful to sit through. The part that are "satire" are so painful that I don't have any time for the rest of the film. Then again I was it seems the only person in the theatre to feel that way...Which since I was on a double header movie date and had been one of the three people in the theatre to laugh at Gosford Park only minutes before (which all three of us thought was too hilarious for words but I knew where they were sitting) had a touch of karmic balance.
    I know, I liked Lo, but everyone else here goes into thinking "awright a Demon movie!! I'mma see peoples heads being ripped off every 15 seconds!"

Expectations are a killer for films.

I did like Death to Smoochy but I felt he was better used in One Hour Photo. It takes talent to make a stalker sympathetic.

Thrudd: As a lucha fan I absolutely adored Nacho Libre.
    Orcs and Goblins