New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 8: At the end of this thread, resummon all friendly posters.

I think the general consensus is that the Deck to Beat is the 30 Soulfire deck.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 8: At the end of this thread, resummon all friendly posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I think the general consensus is that the Deck to Beat is the 30 Soulfire deck.
    Hm.

You go first:
    Round One: Soulfire, Soulfire.
    Round Two: Soulfire, Lifetap, Soulfire.
    Round Three: Soulfire, Lifetap, Soulfire.
    Round Four: Soulfire, Lifetap, Soulfire, Game Over (barring healing/armor/Soulfires that didn't go at the enemy's face/Counterspell).

You go second:
    Round One: Either Soulfire, Soulfire, Soulfire, or Soulfire, Soulfire, Coin, Lifetap, Soulfire.
    Round Two: Soulfire, Lifetap, Soulfire.
    Round Three: Soulfire, Lifetap, Soulfire.
    Round Four: Soulfire.

The damage you're doing to yourself makes it a wash, I'd say; your opponent has 3/4 rounds to do 22/24 damage to you, instead of having 4/5 rounds to do 30 damage to you. Using Soulfire on a minion is likely to be a very bad idea.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I once got a warrior deck with 6 Kor'Krons and an Arcane Golem. It got me my first 9 win streak back when it capped at 9. Each one was often 4 damage to the face that had to be traded for before it hit them again. It was really brutal. The draft with 4 Priestesses of Elune... not so much. Although I managed to break even and had a HILARIOUS game against a hunter who got me down to 2 health on turn 6 with an empty board and hand. I chained priestesses and destroyed him, going down to 1 health TWICE during that. I think he called well played offensively 3 times before he lost.

Also I Figured I'd post an arena up here:
    Spoiler: Arena Draft
    Show

Mage/Priest/Hunter
    Alarm-o-Bot/Young Priestess/Ancient Mage
    Multi-shot/Haunted Creeper/Windfury Harpy
    Novice Engineer/Houndmaster/Earthen Ring Farseer
    Thrallmar Farseer/Acidic Swamp Ooze/Lord of the Arena
    Oasis Snapjaw/Raid Leader/Acolyte of Pain
    Frostwolf Warlord/Nerub'ar Weblord/Archmage
    Timber Wolf/War Golem/Snipe
    Dalaran Mage/Starving BuzzardBluegill Warrior
    Snipe/Venture Co. Mercenary/Bluegill Warrior
    Nozdormu/Sylvanas Windrunner/Tinkmaster Overspark
    Stoneskin Gargoyle/Hunter's Mark/Elven Archer
    Novice Engineer/Stranglethorn Tiger/Scavenging Hyena
    Razorfen Hunter/Young Dragonhawk/Acolyte of Pain
    Jungle Panther/Kill Command/Nerub'ar Weblord
    Animal Companion/Ironbeak Owl/Earthen Ring Farseer
    Multi-Shot/Gurubashi Berserker/Hunter's Mark
    Southsea Deckhand/Goldshire Footman/Silverback Patriarch
    Explosive Shot/Scar/Flare
    Core Hound/Bloodfen Raptor/Deadly Shot
    Flare/M.C. Tech/Stampeding Kodo
    Tracking/Hunter's Mark/Core Hound
    Scavenging Hyena/Unleash the Hounds/Dark Iron Dwarf
    Wild Pyromancer/Young Priestess/Questing Adventurer
    Unleash the Hounds/Starving Buzzard/Tauren Warrior
    Mad Scientist/Mogu'Shan Warden/Ironforge Rifleman
    Dalaran Mage/Armani Berserker/Southsea Deckhand
    Novice Engineer/Ironfur Grizzly/Acolyte of Pain
    Tracking/Wisp/Nightblade
    Dalaran Mage/War Golem/Silvermoon Guardian
    Flare/Mana Wraith/Coldlight Oracle

A pretty lackluster draft, the picks were just a little out of order, with the buzzard and hyena I picked unleashes over I would be MUCH happier.
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2014-09-06 at 02:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    I once got a warrior deck with 6 Kor'Krons and an Arcane Golem. It got me my first 9 win streak back when it capped at 9. Each one was often 4 damage to the face that had to be traded for before it hit them again. It was really brutal. The draft with 4 Priestesses of Elune... not so much. Although I managed to break even and had a HILARIOUS game against a hunter who got me down to 2 health on turn 6 with an empty board and hand. I chained priestesses and destroyed him, going down to 1 health TWICE during that. I think he called well played offensively 3 times before he lost.

Show

Mage/Priest/Hunter

Ancient Mage has very, very poor stats for its cost; even getting double spellpower down will hardly make up for it. Young Priestess is rather insubstantial, but at least she's cost-appropriate and offers at least a +1 health boost to a minion played alongside her. Only 3 out of 9 classes can kill her with a hero power. 9 out of 9 classes will play minions that vastly outperform Ancient Mage.

Novice Engineer/Houndmaster/Earthen Ring Farseer

Earthen Ring Farseer is very good, make no mistake about it, but Houndmaster's potential 6/5, 4/3 minimum deal makes it one of the big Hunter value cards, similar to Arathi Weaponsmith or Water Elemental and others. Even in Arena, Hunter should be able to draft enough usable beasts to pull it off.

Case in point; you are in a class that cannot expect to activate Acolyte of Pain easily but requires Beasts to fuel several of its class cards. Don't take my word for it; Even on Trump's neutral pick list, Oasis Snapjaw ranks several notches above Acolyte. He hasn't made a Hunter list, but I can only imagine that distance would be a lot higher.

Timber Wolf/War Golem/Snipe

War Golem is a decidedly average minion. Timber Wolf by itself is insubstantial, but it has enough synergy with many common Hunter cards, such as Starving Buzzard or Unleash the Hounds or Houndmaster, to make it worth consideration.

Explosive Shot/Scar/Flare

... What's "Scar"? Is that supposed to be Savannah Highmane? Maybe the connection becomes clearer if you're familiar with WoW... Anyway Savannah Highmane is of course the stuff wet value dreams are made of, well done.

Tracking/Wisp/Nightblade

As strange as this may sound, I think you were better off with another Tracking here. Nightblade is just really poor.

You had a positively decent option in Flare, and a much less terrible one in Mana Wraith. I didn't get the impression your Hunter was faceroll-y enough for Coldlight to be anything but self-sabotage.

A pretty lackluster draft, the picks were just a little out of order, with the buzzard and hyena I picked unleashes over I would be MUCH happier.
    I don't think this draft would have made me happy, either. Hunter is just really iffy to draft for in general.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I regularly get 6-8 wins on hunter, the lowest I've got until just now is 4. However I think I just had the worst draws I have ever had, 3 games in a row. Game 1 was against a priest There was no unleash in the top 20 cards of my deck and there were multiple times it would have won me the game or at least given me a significant lead. Game 2, warrior, 2 unleashes in hand on the mulligan, no buzzard or hyena until 18 cards down when they're both gone, and both gone in desperation plays against 2 minions, he never had more than 2 on the board the entire game. Game 3, Paladin, hyena was gotten early on, I maintained decent board control while digging for unleashes, he repeatedly fills the board, I dig for 20 cards down, even until the last turn unleash would have given me massive board control and a 12-14 power hyena, I never draw it. I don't typically like to complain about luck but holy crud those games.

(also for the record 560 lifetime arena wins, highest key molten, 5 times now)
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2014-09-06 at 03:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Whoyouwanmekill?
    Show

I even got a Dark Cultist buff and a Temple Enforcer buff on top of that later in the game. Opponent did not have poly.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Mage/Priest/Hunter

Depending on how offensive you want to play, young priestess might have been the way to go. I would have picked it.

Multi-shot/Haunted Creeper/Windfury Harpy

I would have taken Creeper, but I respect you pick as the spell is pretty good too.

@earthen ring farseer over Beastmaster :again, I would have taken Beastmaster but farseer Is ok

Oasis is much better than acolyte, especially in arena Hunter.

Unleash the Hounds/Starving Buzzard/Tauren Warrior

You have a decent amount of beasts and already one uth (which is conditional, after all). I would take Buzzard.

Mad Scientist/Mogu'Shan Warden/Ironforge Rifleman

If I checked right you have no traps. If that's correct I would take rifleman.

Tracking/Wisp/Nightblade

Tracking here would be better, night blade isn't amazing.

I think you picked the worst card out of the lot here. Flare was the way to go here IMO

Dude, you don't need to remind us that you are so good OMG I always do 12 wins but oh god I got unlucky this time. No need to brag, i think this kind of attitude feels offensive to new players.

Anyways, comments in the spoiler!
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2014-09-07 at 06:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

My tactic of "I can totally arena my way to Naxx" finally worked. I got the last wing and I now have a shiny new cardback. The final push was 410 gold from a 12/2 priest run.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Drafted the funniest deck yesterday. It was a Mage, pretty bad overall missing a lot of Mage's key cards (no Flamestrikes = ): ) but it had 1 Sylvanas, 1 Onyxia and 1 Black Knight. First game was the most fun I had in hearthstone for a while and it involved Duplicating Sylvanas and getting 4 Legendaries in my hand at once in arena xD. The guy never even saw Onyxia.

Nevertheless, went only 4-3. It should have been at least 5-3, really. I made a HUGE mistake in my last game, it was so stupid that I noticed it right on the spot, I made it as if by reflex. I was kinda behind in the game against a Druid, losing on board (only 1 minion) vs. 4 of his minions, one of them an Ironbark Protector. So I drop MC Tech and I steal the Ironbark, HOORAY! And then I drop an Acidic Swamp Ooze and realize "omg, I just screwed myself if he has MC Tech too". And he had. And he stole the ******** Ironbark. Life isn't fair.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I now have a copy of every single legendary in the game, and two copies of every other card. My collection is complete.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Dude, you don't need to remind us that you are so good OMG I always do 12 wins but oh god I got unlucky this time. No need to brag, i think this kind of attitude feels offensive to new players.

Where did this come from? Did you mean to quote this post?

I regularly get 6-8 wins on hunter, the lowest I've got until just now is 4. However I think I just had the worst draws I have ever had, 3 games in a row. Game 1 was against a priest There was no unleash in the top 20 cards of my deck and there were multiple times it would have won me the game or at least given me a significant lead. Game 2, warrior, 2 unleashes in hand on the mulligan, no buzzard or hyena until 18 cards down when they're both gone, and both gone in desperation plays against 2 minions, he never had more than 2 on the board the entire game. Game 3, Paladin, hyena was gotten early on, I maintained decent board control while digging for unleashes, he repeatedly fills the board, I dig for 20 cards down, even until the last turn unleash would have given me massive board control and a 12-14 power hyena, I never draw it. I don't typically like to complain about luck but holy crud those games.

(also for the record 560 lifetime arena wins, highest key molten, 5 times now)
    In which case I can only say "huh" because right there it says Molten is his best key, so "I always get 12 wins" is the opposite of what he said. As far as bragging goes, the "I just got 12-x, check out this draft and these rewards oh my" people that regularly pipe up in this thread strike as potentially much more obnoxious (and if those are, in fact, offensive to new players, I'd quite like to know). I mean, it's probably not strictly necessary to post your credentials and stats alongside an "OMG this RNG" rant, but is it that bad?
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-09-07 at 09:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Is that really how I come across? Sorry, I still have plenty of awful runs, but not with hunter till now, more with warlock, mage and rogue. It's about 50/50 with shaman whether I get 1 win or 7.

Anyway thanks for the comments both of you.
    Spoiler: Comments
    Show

Ancient mage: Eh, in my experience 1 drops make the value gods cry and I was planning on picking up some removal, though this was still a tough pick.
    Earthen Ring: At the time I didn't have any beasts, but yes, I probably should have taken the houndmaster.
    Acolyte: Yeah, I love acolyte of pain but I guess he's not so great for hunters unless they already have a strong board.
    Scar: Yes, it's highmane, and cmon, he's an angry looking dark brown lion that makes hyenas! He's definitely scar!

Nightblade and Coldlight: These I got pretty late, at this point I could see my curve was super super stacked on 2-3 so I really wanted something bigger than a 3/3. Coldlight tends to help the player with the fewest cards in my experience, I never play coldlight if I'm doing okay and my opponent is topdecking or close too it. I figured my hand would be wiped out pretty fast so it was kinda desperation. And in every game I got to the point where my opponent was ahead and I was digging for cards I needed so I think my assessment was correct.

Edit: the credentials were something I figured I should have posted with the run, I just wanted to be clear about the fact that I'm neither a new player or trump in disguise.
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2014-09-07 at 10:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

My first Arena log here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Paladin/Warrior/Priest
    Sword of Justice/Shade of Naxxramas/Molten Giant
    Razorfen Hunter/Dragonling Mechanic/Thrallmar Farseer
    Blessing of Wisdom/Unstable Ghoul/Boulderfist Ogre
    Holy Light/Southsea Deckhand/Haunted Creeper
    Hammer of Wrath/Oasis Snapjaw/Truesilver Champion
    Venture Co. Mercenary/Blessing of Wisdom/Eye for an Eye
    Cult Master/Stonetusk Boar/Southsea Deckhand
    Defender of Argus/Twilight Drake/Ravenholdt Assassin
    Raging Worgen/Spiteful Smith/Blessing of Might
    Holy Wrath/Sludge Belcher/Ravenholdt Assassin
    Murloc Tidehunter/Oasis Snapjaw/Humility
    Spiteful Smith/Mogu'shan Warden/Cult Master
    Voodoo Doctor/Nightblade/Boulderfist Ogre
    Fen Creeper/Windfury Harpy/Shattered Sun Cleric
    Venture Co. Mercenary/Shieldbearer/Archmage
    Booty Bay Bodyguard/Worgen Infiltrator/Archmage
    Wolfrider/Youthful Brewmaster/Lord of the Arena
    Molten Giant/Lay On Hands/Faceless Manipulator
    Razorfen Hunter/Earthen Ring Farseer/Loot Hoarder
    Violet Teacher/Young Priestess/Coldlight Seer
    Stoneskin Gargoyle/Repentance/Faerie Dragon
    Voodoo Doctor/Argent Protector/Repentance
    Frostwolf Warlord/Blessing of Might/Oasis Snapjaw
    Earthen Ring Farseer/Grimscale Oracle/Guardian of Kings
    Frostwolf Warlord/Avenge/Fen Creeper
    Dire Wolf Alpha/Dancing Swords/Blessing of Wisdom
    Venture Co. Mercenary/Silverback Patriarch/Amani Berserker
    Argent Protector/Ancient Brewmaster/Youthful Brewmaster
    Murloc Tidehunter/Redemption/Reckless Rocketeer (misclicked here)
    Malygos/Harrison Jones/Tinkmaster Overspark
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    My first Arena log here:
    Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy Light/Southsea Deckhand/Haunted Creeper
    Haunted Creeper was easily the best card here. Southsea Deckhand is just weak, being a 1-health minion and thus vulnerable to hero powers. Even in Rogue, who can use her hero power to give the Deckhand charge, it just doesn't measure up to the value of the Creeper.

Not a wrong pick per se, but I think that in most cases, Defender of Argus is preferable to Twilight Drake, unless you're Warlock. In arena you can't construct your deck such that the Drake gets a strong benefit from his effect, so you might be stuck playing him as a sub-par 4 if your hand is small. He's still good, since in most cases you can get him out at around the size of a Yeti, but Defender is more consistent.

This early in the Draft, I'd take Spiteful Smith over Raging Worgen. Outside of Mage the Worgen is usually just a 3/3 for 3, which is mediocre. The Smith has a better stat array for his cost, and being a Paladin you could even get some use out of his effect.

Blech. I might have taken Humility, or even the Murloc (you had no 2s as yet), but I admit that might just be me having no real respect for the Snapjaw.

Huh. I might have gone Lay on Hands here, but I'm not sure. Never had a chance to draft it in arena, but I could see it being slow for the format. It is such good value though...

Razorfen Hunter/Earthen Ring Farseer/Loot Hoarder
    Much as I love the Farseer, the fact that you still had only one 2-drop at this point probably means you should've taken the Loot Hoarder here. They're close enough in quality overall for the curve consideration to become a factor.

At this point you had enough 3s, so I think I'd have taken the Guardian of Kings instead here.

Maybe I'd be wrong, but I'd take one of the other two. I just don't have any respect for Avenge, being a secret and a buff. Way too unreliable.

Which were you trying to pick? Because honestly, Rocketeer was probably the best there, sad as that is.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    I now have a copy of every single legendary in the game, and two copies of every other card. My collection is complete.
    Nice. You managed that faster than I did.

Though, I've not played as much recently. Clearly I need to up my game.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that really how I come across? Sorry, I still have plenty of awful runs, but not with hunter till now, more with warlock, mage and rogue. It's about 50/50 with shaman whether I get 1 win or 7.

Anyway thanks for the comments both of you.
    Spoiler: Comments
    Show

Ancient mage: Eh, in my experience 1 drops make the value gods cry and I was planning on picking up some removal, though this was still a tough pick.
    Earthen Ring: At the time I didn't have any beasts, but yes, I probably should have taken the houndmaster.
    Acolyte: Yeah, I love acolyte of pain but I guess he's not so great for hunters unless they already have a strong board.
    Scar: Yes, it's highmane, and cmon, he's an angry looking dark brown lion that makes hyenas! He's definitely scar!

Nightblade and Coldlight: These I got pretty late, at this point I could see my curve was super super stacked on 2-3 so I really wanted something bigger than a 3/3. Coldlight tends to help the player with the fewest cards in my experience, I never play coldlight if I'm doing okay and my opponent is topdecking or close too it. I figured my hand would be wiped out pretty fast so it was kinda desperation. And in every game I got to the point where my opponent was ahead and I was digging for cards I needed so I think my assessment was correct.

Edit: the credentials were something I figured I should have posted with the run, I just wanted to be clear about the fact that I'm neither a new player or trump in disguise.
    Ancient Mage: As mentioned, Ancient Mage itself makes the value gods cry. Anything played at its mana cost range will just wipe the floor with it. 2/1 1-drops are generally irrelevant, but Young Priestess at least guarantees a health boost to another, hopefully bigger minion.

Savannah Highmane: Scar is a giant tit and Savannah Highmane is actually threatening and big and fights well. I see no resemblance.

The main issue with Coldlight Oracle is that it errs towards helping the opponent. They have more mana to play their new cards first, while you just spent 3 Mana on a 2/2. Flare actually helps you cycle through your deck, too (at a much lower cost), and has a massive potential uptick against three of nine classes, and utility attached to a 1 mana cycle against all others (take that, Jungle Panther!), and Mana Wraith actually hurts the opponent first before it hurts you and has a better stats-to-cost ratio - so both help combat getting behind in card and board advantage. Your deck is not the only one that will have important, impactful cards; for every Unleash the Hounds you successfully dig up, a Mage pulls a Flamestrike, a Druid pulls a Swipe and so on and so forth. So unless you are in that very specific spot where you just need that one specific card to definitely drive the nail into the coffin, Coldlight Oracle is a 3 mana 2/2 at best and a dead card in your hand at worst, making it on average abysmally terrible. You will never have that problem with Flare. It digs one less deep, but it doesn't screw you over while that happens. It's a genuinely decent card and was the right pick by any reasonable standard.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Savannah Highmane: Scar is a giant tit and Savannah Highmane is actually threatening and big and fights well. I see no resemblance.
    Highmane is a lion that summons hyenas. Scar is a lion who lead a bunch of hyenas. There's your connection.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #138
    Colossus in the Playground

Without commenting on the obnoxious* Scar thing specifically, let me just clarify: No, it has nothing at all to do with WoW.

*Oops. I remember one time, I read about a third of a post which replaced all the cards' names with cutesy bits like "Scar" and "Tinkmaster Overnerf"; about a third because I got to a list of card names, none of which were actually in the game, and skipped past the rest of that post.
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-09-07 at 11:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Also comments:

My first Arena log here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Paladin/Warrior/Priest

In Paladin specifically, Defender of Argus has some added merit because they can help give it buff targets. I'd have to disagree with Zevox here; both are conditional, but Twilight Drake actually needs less assistance to work. Topdeck mode is a somewhat rare occurence in Arena - and Defender of Argus is just as bad topdecked, while we're at it - but if you have just your generally average hand, Twilight Drake comes down big enough to matter; and it helps you come back into the game from bad starting hands by trading with several early game minions on its own.

Thinking of Raging Worgen as just a 3/3 for 3 outside of Mage is a little short-sighted - it still severely limits the opponent's options. Where normally they would have happily dropped a Harvest Golem or a Haunted Creeper in reply to your 3-drop, or a number of other minions, those now become terrible ideas. Add to that an increased payoff from buffs such as Sword of Justice, and you have a highly potent minion. I don't think Paladin plays enough weapons to really make Spiteful Smith shine. It's a reasonably close pick, but I would've one for Worgen, too.

There was no contest to be had here; Oasis Snapjaw blows the competition out of the water. The Humility effect can be potent, but is not worth a full card.

Lay on Hands is good, but I don't think it's Faceless Manipulator good. This is mostly because it will be a dead card for what is pretty much the most crucial period of the game. It completely runs away with the game pretty much only in two cases; either you can heal an almost-dead huge-ass minion to full while drawing three cards, or you're both topdecking. Faceless Manipulator, meanwhile, is a plausible turn 5 play and only gains in potential from there.

Keep in mind Guardian of Kings is significantly smaller than its mana cost would suggest, and its ability only just makes up for it. Earthen Ring Farseer is fairly great in late game because it can be used to heal minions right after trading them into things.

Frostwolf Warlord on the other hand usually ends up much bigger than Guardian of Kings, and while Avenge might not be the worst secret, it's just not reliable enough to really be worth picking, considering the general disadvantages of secrets. If it gave more than 2 Health to the minion it buffed, maybe...

Venture Co. Mercenary/Silverback Patriarch/Amani Berserker

Passing up Venture Co. for Amani Berserker seems like a poor choice to me. Paladins are not quite as dependant on 2-drops as other classes (and nevertheless you had some of those).

I assume you wanted Tidehunter, considering that you just took a 2-drop over Venture Co? Mmmmmmaybe. I think they are too insubstantial and anyway your hero power summons little guys already. Reckless Rocketeer was probably the correct pick.
    EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox
    Highmane is a lion that summons hyenas. Scar is a lion who lead a bunch of hyenas. There's your connection.
    I'm aware, yes. I already got that. Do my reading comprehension skills come off that poorly?

I also generally prefer if Arena picks documentation doesn't use altered card names. If the cards are named properly, then I can immediately process the draft choices in my head and mentally say "Obviously", "Yeah, I can see that" or "Wait, what?". If there are card names I've never seen before, that usually results in additional "Wait, what?", and that just adds unnecessary snags to the process. I know it's done with the intention of introducing some light-heartedness into what can be a tedious process, but the negatives outweigh the positives there.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-09-07 at 11:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I'm aware, yes. I already got that. Do my reading comprehension skills come off that poorly?
    You said you didn't see the resemblance, so I thought it might be worth pointing out what the resemblance is that causes people to use that nickname. That's all that was about, nothing more.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I just had the most wonderful value turtle in arena. In it's brief but exciting life, it killed a leper gnome, a 2/1 dragonhawk from that gnome engineer card, dealt 8 damage to my opponent, and then got bloodlusted to deal the killing blow to a treant protector, allowing my other cards to swing in for the win.

Thank you value turtle. You will be missed.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

According to this, Molten key is 11 wins in arena, Lightforge is 12.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we discussed some time ago that quite a few classes can win on turn 3 (Shaman with dust devils and Flametongue, Priest with Lightwarden cheese, and some others) but i'm pretty sure that nothing can really beat the 30 Soulfires.
    Even against those t3-win decks, shooting two soulfires to the two damage dealers just shuts down the combo, and allows for a win one turn later.

This just proves that.. uhm... 8 damage a turn is scary?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I would think 30 Mindblasts beats 30 Soulfires, because its one extra damage a turn, and you're not discarding your ammunition in the beginning...

lesse, your starting hand is what... four or fave cards? And you can fire off two of those... three... that's a total of sixteen damage... which means you need to topdeck until turn... five? Does Mind Blast deck kill you by turn five?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I would think 30 Mindblasts beats 30 Soulfires, because its one extra damage a turn, and you're not discarding your ammunition in the beginning...

lesse, your starting hand is what... four or fave cards? And you can fire off two of those... three... that's a total of sixteen damage... which means you need to topdeck until turn... five? Does Mind Blast deck kill you by turn five?
    Thing is, Mindblast costs two. If you go first, you have to do nothing turn one. If you go second, you can coin mindblast for 5 damage turn 1. Warlock has, at that point, already dealt you at least 8 damage, since Soulfire costs 0, so it gets a headstart. It then uses the hero power starting on turn 2 to deal 8 damage per turn from an empty hand. Priest can't deal more than 5 damage at once until turn 4, and can't use the hero power to heal on a turn they also cast Mindblast.

So, it's not actually 1 extra damage per turn. Even if you count Warlock's hero power, it's 1 LESS damage per turn, until turn 4.

End result of this is that Soulfire deck gets the kill turn 4, Mindblast deck has to wait until turn 5. If Mindblast deck uses heals to stall Soulfire deck, it can't cast mindblasts and simply loses slightly slower.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2014-09-08 at 08:03 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, we can just count. it's not that hard.

Mindblast player goes first.

After T1 => Mindblast player is at 18 hp Soulfire player is at 30/28 hp
    T2 => M = 10 hp S = 21/23 hp
    T3 => M = 2 ho S = 14/16 hp
    T4 => soulfire player wins

Soulfire player goes first
    T1 => M = 22 hp S = 25hp
    T2 => M = 14 hp S = 18 hp
    T3 => M = 6 hp S = 11 hp
    T4 => Soulfire player wins.
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    End result of this is that Soulfire deck gets the kill turn 4, Mindblast deck has to wait until turn 5.
    technically, mindblast would win on turn 4 on the draw if it hadn't already lost.
    Guys, we can just count. it's not that hard.
    i don't understand the point of this exercise
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2014-09-08 at 08:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

the discussion was "is a deck made of 30 Soulfires better than a deck with 30 Mind Blasts?"
    A simple counting exercise proved that Yes, 30 soulfire deck is still the strongest (up to now)

Now that i think of it.. Can a paladin with a deck of 30 Holy Lights beat the 30-soulfire deck and make it lose by fatigue?
    Time to count!
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2014-09-08 at 08:22 AM.
    So yeah. your wrong.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    i don't understand the point of this exercise
    Clearly you don't get the internet. Someone said something that was wrong.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Case: Soulfire player goes first.

He plays 2 per turn, so basically 15 turns of doing 8 damage to the opponent (then it dies by self-damage)
    Paladin can do 1 holy light per turn for the first 3 turns, then 2 per turn for 4 turns, then 1 per turn.
    (actually he'll cast only one on t7 and 2 on t8)
    so at the end of t3 he's at 24, then at turn 6 he's at 30, on turn 8 he's at 30 again, and from then on he loses 2 hp every turn. 7 turns later, he wins.

Paladin goes first.
    Soulfire player does 12 damage the first turn, then 8 every turn. this takes him 14/15 turns to die.

Paladin can cast one spell on turns 2-3, 2 on turns 4 => 7, then one per turn.

At the end of turn 3 he's at 14
    at the end of turn 7 he's at 22
    Then he loses 2 hp per turn. 8 turns of this means losing 16 hp, which means Paladin survives and wins the game!!!

Note: on turns 6+ he could also use hero power, to kill the warlock even faster. Still, it was not needed

So yeah, bottom line:
    a deck of 30 Holy lights beat the 30-Soulfire-deck.
    Sadly, this deck loses to basically everything, while Soulfire deck wins against basically everything else :P
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2014-09-08 at 08:29 AM.
    So yeah. your wrong.