New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,526 of 1526
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY V: Inspired by Real Physics!

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Man, I thought "ace" was being used as in "a person who excels at a particular sport or other activity." Like, uh, "He's their ace pitcher," or something.
    That's what I thought too.

---

My thread votes:

3 points: This thread is also a gun

2 points: Ultimate Food Fight of Ultimate destiny

1 point: It's not about outposting Ponythread, it's about taking away the posting they have.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll put my vote in the correct way.

3: Now with 200% More Dog Missile
    2: Adorable, lets kill it
    1: The Crashed the Midnight Train

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Ogre in the Playground

3 points: They crashed the midnight train going anywhere
    2 points: Now with 200% more Dog Missile!
    1 points: I didn't get the PhD for fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Btw I tallied the top points among people who used the 3 point 2 point 1 point system (pages 45 47 and we got as the top candidates for names for the next thread:

5 points: This thread is also a gun.
    4 points: I didn't get this PHD for fun! (ug! Can I give this one negative points, brings back bad memories from my PHD program)
    3 points: They Crashed the Midnight Train Going Anywhere
    3 points: Adorable! Let's kill it.
    3 points: We have a lot to talk about

Metahuman, Rawhide, Mathmage, and myself have voted using this system. IF we counted LaZodiac (who didn't use this system): Now with 200% more dog missile would be tied for 1st.
    I'm not sure who you meant here, as I haven't voted at all.

I think I'll go:
    3) This thread is also a gun
    2) We have a lot to talk about
    1) I didn't get this PHD for fun!

Which makes "This thread is also a gun" the clear winner.

I'll get on making the new thread later, I'll tidy up the first post with the new information.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I'm not sure who you meant here, as I haven't voted at all.

I think I'll go:
    3) This thread is also a gun
    2) We have a lot to talk about
    1) I didn't get this PHD for fun!

Which makes "This thread is also a gun" the clear winner.

I'll get on making the new thread later, I'll tidy up the first post with the new information.
    He probably meant me, who did use the system. Also, it looks as though "This Thread Is Also A Gun" is our winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #1506

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    He probably meant me, who did use the system. Also, it looks as though "This Thread Is Also A Gun" is our winner.
    Ah, yes, the perils of having a generic avatar. I should probably change that back sometime...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #1507

I wanna vote!
    The Food Fight one
    Also, I wanna ask if anyone is up for... Starting up a RWBY FFRP!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I wanna vote!
    The Food Fight one
    Also, I wanna ask if anyone is up for... Starting up a RWBY FFRP!
    How exactly will it be different from the last one? Given that the WoR exposition stuff has been surprisingly thin on the ground?

Seriously:

DUST: It's activated by Aura, it comes in several different varieties, and it can be sewn into clothing.
    KINGDOMS: There are 4, here are their names and places.
    GRIMM: No one knows where they came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #1509

It is really enough, I think.
    Also we learned some other stuff
    •There are a few cities, but it's a land mainly untamed and uninhabited.
    •Grimm eat people and have many types. Also some have evolved
    Basically, I think we have enough data to make a world
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Banned

Don't need any data to invent a world--but that's what it would have to be, since there isn't nearly enough actual Remnant to play with.

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Titan in the Playground

Don't need any data to invent a world--but that's what it would have to be, since there isn't nearly enough actual Remnant to play with.
    Wasn't this the whole point of setting the RP in Mystral in the first place? So you guys could make stuff up as needed?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    1) I am so glad you said you had no idea what I was referring to before you said that you saw "Ruby being an ace is a problem." otherwise I would be MASSIVELY offended. Ace is a slang term for asexual, a minority orientation with virtually no representation whatsoever in any form of media. Basically I'm saying I want representation and she's showing very strong signs of it.

Ruby does have strong feelings for something; these feelings are ones of where Ruby has a strong aesthetics caring for her. She also has strong senual feelings, and feelings of longing, desire, and idealistic romanticism. She may not have physical feelings of wanting sex with this something but Ruby love is true. Ruby’s heart belongs to Crescent. When Ruby holds Crescent in her hands she feels complete.

Why else do you thing Ruby and Crescent share the same last name, Ruby married her all these years ago

Spoiler: Oliver Wilde poetic answer to the love that dare not speak its name
    Show

Charles Gill (prosecuting): What is "the love that dare not speak its name"?
    Wilde: "The love that dare not speak its name" in this century is such a great affection of an elder for a younger man as there was between David and Jonathan, such as Plato made the very basis ofhis philosophy, and such as you find in the sonnets of Michelangelo and Shakespeare. It is that deep spiritual affection that is as pure as it is perfect. It dictates and pervades great works of art, likethose of Shakespeare and Michelangelo, and those two letters of mine, such as they are. It is in this century misunderstood, so much misunderstood that it may be described as "the love that dare notspeak its name," and on that account of it I am placed where I am now. It is beautiful, it is fine, it is the noblest form of affection. There is nothing unnatural about it. It is intellectual, and it repeatedlyexists between an older and a younger man, when the older man has intellect, and the younger man has all the joy, hope and glamour of life before him. That it should be so, the world does notunderstand. The world mocks at it, and sometimes puts one in the pillory for it

On another note I would pay money to see someone make some personal art of Ruby Rose dressing up as Arya Stark with Needle, and Arya Stark dressing up as Ruby Rose in a fictional Halloween trick or treet.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wasn't this the whole point of setting the RP in Mystral in the first place? So you guys could make stuff up as needed?
    We're still lacking info that affects the world as a whole, rather crucially.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I dunno--I wasn't part of it. Whatever issues arose from lack of setting background will persist. Far as I can tell, a RWBY FFRP should expect to be as front-loaded with work as making up a fantasy story from scratch, so maybe the real issue was one of expectations.

15. - Top - End - #1515

I dunno--I wasn't part of it. Whatever issues arose from lack of setting background will persist. Far as I can tell, a RWBY FFRP should expect to be as front-loaded with work as making up a fantasy story from scratch, so maybe the real issue was one of expectations.
    It was more that we needed info on dust and aura and things like that instead of geography. We know a lot about dust, sorta, and aura is kinda fleshed out as basically just lifeforce while semblance is based on your core personality traits.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Banned

It was more that we needed info on dust and aura and things like that instead of geography. We know a lot about dust, sorta, and aura is kinda fleshed out as basically just lifeforce while semblance is based on your core personality traits.
    I consider that to be part of the setting background, so I think we agree on that.

17. - Top - End - #1517

I consider that to be part of the setting background, so I think we agree on that.
    I was just describing the issues, is all.
    Wasn't sure if you were including geography stuffs too.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how much you know in terms of being able to role play (of course if you want to make up the rules then whatever). Its one thing for me to say these powers are "defined" but all I see the story gave them is a skeletal explanation and some examples:

Dust can really, kinda, do anything. Glynda uses dust to reassemble stuff (exactly "one charge," by word of Monty). We see an example of people using it to fly in WOR, but aside from Weiss, Glynda and Cinder (who are "mages" in Monty's description, though this is apparently not an in-world term) most just use them as bullets, but mostly just for explosive/elemental blasts. We don't know exactly what the bullet form as opposed to the "archaic" form of using "raw" dust can do, but Blake is apparently combining pellet (or is it palette) form with her semblance to give her shadow clones elemental properties (did it have to be individually prepared for her by Weiss?). Its implied that the portal we saw was created with dust.

Aura I think is the one property that is really well defined. It is limited, some people have more than other (Jaune has a lot of it), it must be unlocked to use. Using aura heals injury and protects like a force field. It is like a bubble surround people and can be projected out like a forcefield (as by Lie Ren or Cinder), or allow people to sense nearby danger (perhaps also movement or presences). It can activate dust. Beyond that, there is no evidence it enhances strength or other abilities generally, but some here postulate that's how our heroines get to be so awesome. I postulate awesome is a completely different power source. In all seriousness, martial arts or other source of cool break the laws of physics easily in RWBY world, for humans and their little dogs too. Even so...its not clear Aura works when someone is knocked unconscious or can be activated post hit to avoid injury and death. The problem with using Aura for RP is that it is completely arbitrary what you assign to drain it and by how much, and it may recharge awfully quickly too, like a second wind, but it may not last so long.

Semblance the big one, everyone's unique ability. It is a unique expression of ones aura. We only know six peoples' semblances' (Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang, Pyrrha, and Son), again we don't know the extent of these, or even what Weiss needs her semblance for that she couldn't just do with dust alone (and what role those snowflakes really play since she usually combines the two). It is implied Pyrrha's power can be countered by someone who is prepared to compensate, and it is clear Yang's strength kinetic vampire power is either limited or must be consciously activated (since Yang was knocked out by Neo one way or the othe, either Neo snuck that punch in or Yang was exhausted).
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-11-05 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I think the FFRP failed for other reasons. It was (IMHO) way too focused on teaming everyone up and herding them around. RWBY's four-person teams don't work so well in a game where players constantly come and go. The in-game groups had to be redone over and over, to compensate for newcomers and absentees. 'RP bottlenecks' like the exam forest were troublesome as well. They took agency away from the players, and forced them all to walk the same path as one another; Often in overly specific ways, that had to be arranged in advance. To me, the RP's problem wasn't that it was unlike the show; But rather, that it was too much like the show.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2014-11-06 at 04:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1520

Looking back now, I kinda agree. I think maybe a system where we changed things to work around that would do quite well. Maybe more of a "We are all classmates and we basically join together to form teams like picking partners for a school project" kinda system would work.

Or just a small rp with <10 people.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Colossus in the Playground

I wouldn't do it myself because I've got other plans, but a rules based table top game would probably work better then FFRP style thing.

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Banned

If you're gonna constrain players by putting them into an organization, skip the 'academy' part of 'military academy' and put them straight into the League of Extraordinary Hunters. Just because Monty feels the need to play high schooler doesn't mean y'all need to as well.

Better yet, send them to Kirkwall Ash Valley, a town-slash-military-outpost on the outskirts of civilization, where they can choose to be the sheriff Huntsmen/Huntresses, or the cowboy rough-and-ready civilians, or the bandit White Fang, or whatever else they can think of.

23. - Top - End - #1523
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok, I'm going to be gone for a while. I....tried to make this work as well, but it's not going to plan. Keep discussing RWBY, ok? If I recover then I'll be straight back, and I'll try and pop in on occasion to see any new OotS comics, but until then, farewell.

Mrc. out.

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Banned

Aw. Get well soon.

25. - Top - End - #1525
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

26. - Top - End - #1526