New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY V: Inspired by Real Physics!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    What are you talking about? They totally have an "opposites attract" vibe to them. They complement each other so well. For example, Ren hardly talks and Nora talks enough for both of them. When Nora gets too out of control Ren calms here down. Ren is the perfect straight-man for "Nora is wacky" jokes (go Team Sloth!). They fit together better and more smoothly than any other couple or potential pairing in the whole show.
    The only problem with that is, realistically, "opposites attract" doesn't actually work for very long (or at all) in most relationships. It's a go-to device for sub-par romantic comedies. They are more interesting now, as friends, than they could ever be as lovers.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    They pair well--but without the slightest apparent romantic inclination. And I agree that the relationship doesn't look like one that would or should develop in a romantic direction, at least not without a tremendous amount of work from Nora.
    The feeling that Nora would be the likely aggressor is shared. I disagree there isn't the slightest romantic inclination. Nora seemed quite a bit regretful when she said "well not together together" "not that your not...but it would be weird," and
    Spoiler: V2E6 Headphones!
    Show
    I detect similar notes when she repeats the line.

No, its from Ren's direction that I am getting a feeling of a distinct lack of attraction for the really cute busty girl that's totally into him.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-09-07 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Neither, he's a near personalitiless stoic piece of cardboard.
    Nah, he has plenty of personality. Look back at after he finishes the fight with the snake. Watch him.
    I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary though. He has trouble giving advice about girls to a friend? Well, there are many other, more sensible, reasons for why he'd have trouble giving advice for that. It's clear he and Nora know how Pyrrha feel, so helping him get with Weiss could be distressing. Additionally, since Nora basically fell into his lap, he'd have no real advice other then "find a psychopath who likes you."
    Also, Ren, like Blake, is not an extrovert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    They pair well--but without the slightest apparent romantic inclination. And I agree that the relationship doesn't look like one that would or should develop in a romantic direction, at least not without a tremendous amount of work from Nora.
    Like I said, look at the end of the snake fight scene. It could happen.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Nah, he has plenty of personality. Look back at after he finishes the fight with the snake. Watch him.
    What did Ren do at the end of the snake fight?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

I think Ren would get burned out from dating Nora.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-09-07 at 09:56 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

What did Ren do at the end of the snake fight?
    Watch it yourself.

6:39.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    "I still don't think that's what a sloth sounds like" and smiling when Nora boops his nose is not a personality trait. a lot of personality >.>
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-09-07 at 10:01 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    "I still don't think that's what a sloth sounds like" and smiling when Nora boops his nose is not a personality trait. a lot of personality >.>
    Well, I was also citing that as potential romance...

But mostly how his face changes when he sees Nora.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    They are more interesting now, as friends, than they could ever be as lovers.
    Really because they are the only characters on protagonist team who seem pretty much the same since we met them. The problem with them now, is that they know and complement each other so well there is absolutely no cause for tension between them, they fit together too well.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Guys, I'd disagree with some of the evidence for
    Spoiler: Ren doesn't girls
    Show

Remember, Ren is first and foremost an expy for Monty Oum. That is, he doesn't even have to be a character in his own right, he's a placeholder. From what we've seen so far in the plot, he isn't meant to play a role/part (i.e. Yang is the team mom, Blake drives the plot forward, Jaune is a coming of age/becoming a man story, etc). He might just be intended as a static character that's a tribute to his creator and nothing more.

Also, his method of dress isn't really evidence for his sexuality. Here's a picture of Monty:

Spoiler: Monty
    Show

As you can see, he's a fairly typical-looking Honger. Whether he is one or not isn't the point (I don't know him or much about him), but at the very least he ascribes to fashions. Those from places like Vancouver, Toronto, LA or San Fran will know what I mean, those who don't... Think Chinese dudes that like HK fashion and dress/act like Final Fantasy characters. Irregardless of whether gay/straight, they put a lot of effort into their appearance, especially hair.

Ren... is Remnant's Honger. He might be gay, he might be straight (after seeing arguments here, Ren being gay actually makes a lot of sense to me), but his appearance probably isn't good evidence of his orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Ren
    Show
    I really hope Ren isn't gay, if only just for this reason. It feels too cheap. There are a lot of reasons why Ren and Nora might not work, beyond that one reason, and I think just about any of them make their characterizations stronger for it. Ren may see Nora as the only person he values from his past and doesn't want to risk it, Ren may believe that Nora's antics are funny as a friend but would be problematic in a girlfriend, Ren might be afraid that if things don't go well he'd not only lose his oldest and best friend, but also draw the ire of someone strong enough and psychotic enough launch Yang into the stratosphere in a food fight. Or, heck, Ren might simply think that he's there to learn to fight monsters and that this is important, and that he doesn't want any romantic attachment, just friends and comrades he can count on - not yet in any case. Saying that the only reason he isn't already dating her is because "he doesn't girls" demeans everyone. People sometimes have reasons for what they do that aren't related to their preferred mating pool.

Besides that, I don't like the idea of shoe-horning a quality onto a cast member to fill some artificial quota, especially when your designated token character is already playing at stereotypes. Characters should be sacred - you don't twist them to suit your agenda, they should be what they are. That said, if it's actually part of the character and not some slap-on modifier to fill some arbitrary requirement, I don't have much problem with it.

Personally, I'm here for the story and combat, not teen dating drama. I never liked that stuff when I was a teen.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-09-08 at 11:22 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

If anyone is gay in RWBY it is Cardin

Why else does he want to hit Jaune with his mace, and he wants Jaune to be his personal "slave," and when he dukes it out with Pyrrha he is full of emotional rage (he knows Pyrrha likes Jaune and he is jealous) and he is completely flaming when he swings his mace around.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a gay man myself please do not take this seriously, it is only a little silly humor at shipping and how lots of people try to ship everyone.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #223
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think that anybody formally introduced in the first season is gay. I don't think that they gave any thought to writing season 1. I do think that Emerald is probably gay for Cinder with the way they're writing her.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Ren and Nora have been best friends with each other since they were little kids together so things like people confusing them as a couple, or being half naked in the same room together is just something they've become so used to that it's as natural to them as drinking a glass of water.

I know a guy like this. He's been best friends with 'Kelly' (not her real name) since he was like 3 or 4 years old. They've grown up together. Neither of them blink an eye when the other walks into the bathroom while the other is in the shower, or crawls into bed with them... It's just regular behaviour for them.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S2:C5&6 sorta not really but better safe than sorry.
    Show
    Okay, I don't know if anyone's said anything about this before, but I can't be the only one to have noticed that all three dorm rooms that we've seen have the same painting in them. In Season 1: The Badge and the Burden you see Weiss putting it up/adjusting it (you don't actually see her put it up). Then, it's there in Team Evil's room at the end of Volume 2: Extracurricular. Then it's there when Jaune and Ren are having their talk in their room in Season 2: Burning the Candle.

I imagine it's just lazy animating, but it wasn't there in Team JNPR's room in Season 1: Forever Fall, and it seems like a weird mistake to add in after you've previously not made it.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Spoiler: S2:C5&6 sorta not really but better safe than sorry.
    Show
    Okay, I don't know if anyone's said anything about this before, but I can't be the only one to have noticed that all three dorm rooms that we've seen have the same painting in them. In Season 1: The Badge and the Burden you see Weiss putting it up/adjusting it (you don't actually see her put it up). Then, it's there in Team Evil's room at the end of Volume 2: Extracurricular. Then it's there when Jaune and Ren are having their talk in their room in Season 2: Burning the Candle.

I imagine it's just lazy animating, but it wasn't there in Team JNPR's room in Season 1: Forever Fall, and it seems like a weird mistake to add in after you've previously not made it.
    Spoiler: Picture on the walls
    Show
    Weiss liked it so much she bought enough copies for every dorm in Beacon.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Spoiler: Picture on the walls
    Show
    Weiss liked it so much she bought enough copies for every dorm in Beacon.
    Spoiler: Heh
    Show
    I like that one. I can really see it.

Weiss: "Professor Ozpin, this place is sorely lacking in culture. So, to do my part, I bought a couple hundred copies of my favorite painting. I think putting one in each of the dorm rooms would really improve things."

Ozpin: "Well, I certainly do approve of the team spirit you've been displaying as of late. I'll allow it."

Glynda (after Weiss leaves): "So now we're letting our students be amateur interior decorators in their off hours?"

Ozpin: "Certainly. Do you know how much professional interior decorators charge these days?" *Sips beverage casually*
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: RWBY V: Inspired by Real Physics!

I never got a look at Mrc title when Rawhide temporarily changed it. What was it?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

I never got a look at Mrc title when Rawhide temporarily changed it. What was it?
    "Blake in the Playground"
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I prefer the first opening, really. It's more epic.
    I liked the opening much more at first, however the second has grown on me. I'm not sure what you mean by "more epic," the second opening shows the various factions strutting out preparing for war, features video of A+B team dive bombing, and is set to a score suggesting the end of something is neigh.

If anything, I think this would be much more appropriate for season 3, but then I think a lot of the foreshadowing suggesting the imminent demise of peace and childhood and cute kitties is premature unless:

Spoiler: S2V7 Speculation: Cinder is Coming!
    Show
    We get some substantial action in this direction.

OK.

Well, Lazodiac had a half-finished rewrite of RWBY, the way she would do it, on her LW thread.
    I have a few ideas of my own that I may write up if anybody's interested.
    Can anyone link to the half-finished rewrite of RWBY? I'd like to see it.

Also, Durkoala, why hold back? If you would rewrite RWBY all the way back to the premise of the show how would you go about it?

Its unlikely in the extreme we would go so far as to do a fan remake. For one, animating, even if something like Poser takes away a lot of the work, is a nightmare, illustrators with extra time on their hands are not easy to find (but I think there's a thread about how much work this is). So we might as well spill all our ideas here as that's as far as it's likely to ever go.

21. - Top - End - #231

Also, Durkoala, why hold back? If you would rewrite RWBY all the way back to the premise of the show how would you go about it?

Its unlikely in the extreme we would go so far as to do a fan remake. For one, animating, even if something like Poser takes away a lot of the work, is a nightmare, illustrators with extra time on their hands are not easy to find (but I think there's a thread about how much work this is). So we might as well spill all our ideas here as that's as far as it's likely to ever go.
    I don't have the links on hand, but I'm currently (occasionally) working on it and stuff, to actually post it and stuff.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I liked the opening much more at first, however the second has grown on me. I'm not sure what you mean by "more epic," the second opening shows the various factions strutting out preparing for war, features video of A+B team dive bombing, and is set to a score suggesting the end of something is neigh.
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Show
    Where is that freaking Like Button?!
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: Heh
    Show
    I like that one. I can really see it.

Weiss: "Professor Ozpin, this place is sorely lacking in culture. So, to do my part, I bought a couple hundred copies of my favorite painting. I think putting one in each of the dorm rooms would really improve things."

Ozpin: "Well, I certainly do approve of the team spirit you've been displaying as of late. I'll allow it."

Glynda (after Weiss leaves): "So now we're letting our students be amateur interior decorators in their off hours?"

Ozpin: "Certainly. Do you know how much professional interior decorators charge these days?" *Sips beverage casually*
    Headcanon accepted.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

25. - Top - End - #235

Here's the start of the rewrite.

Well, since you're asking...
    Like LaZodiac (and others), what I think really needs changing is the apparent threat level. Firstly, I would give some kind of effect that lets us know when Aura is running low or taking a blow dangerously close to getting through. This will let us know when the Huntresses are in real trouble.
    Secondly, establish that loss and death are things that happen. This doesn't have to be shown on screen: some conversation about a team or friends falling (maybe mention some Grimm species involved, to give some detail and worldbuilding) from the older cast, or a lesson (Because we are in a school) on how to penetrate Aura ('do not think that you are invincible') will suffice.
    Thirdly, make the Grimm more of an obvious threat. Have them dodge attacks, show a little (not too much -- they are animals) cunning, land damaging hits in their early encounters, fight on while missing limbs and covered in wounds. This will be easier if point 1 is in effect and we can see that our heroes aren't shrugging off the attacks.

I would also work on worldbuilding. We need to know about Hunters, Grimm, Beacon, Aura, semblance, Dust and Faunus in the first few episodes, as these are the important bits of season 1. Huntresses, Grimm and Beacon's introductions are fine as they are. If Ruby takes a hit or two from Cinder or Torchwick, Glynda could mention it during her telling-off.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Glynda: Miss Rose, are you aware of your Aura?
    Ruby: (perking up, eager to explain her skills to this Huntress) Yes, miss. My Unc-
    Glynda: You are aware that it is our greatest means of protection?
    Ruby: (confused and a little cowed) Yes, Miss, It's the lig-
    Glynda: (raising her voice slightly) You are aware that it is the light of our souls, projected outwards to deflect harm?
    Ruby: (starting to get a bit upset) Yes, I know all this!
    Glynda: Do you know that being able to wield a twelve-kilogram combat scythe, defeat eight grown men without a scratch and survive a blast of fire-dust with only a little singeing are Aura feats not usually seen from casual warriors? I know experienced professionals who would have trouble doing all that in the space of five minutes! You even had enough Aura left to heal your grazes and burns with no trouble!
    Ruby: Umm, thanks?
    Glynda: (she faces Ruby for the first time) So tell me, Miss Rose, how it is that such a knowledgeble fifteen year old thinks it would be a good idea to chase an unknown enemy off into the night, alone,how she is caught off-guard by the enemy turning and fighting back, how she is unprepared for the fact that her enemy has some allies waiting in ambush, and how does she fall for an unimaginative trick and only survive because an experienced Huntress was nearby? Well, Miss Rose?
    (Ruby is crushed, and can't find anything to say. Glynda continues with her lecture.)

Dust could be introduced in a similar way. The scene with Weiss would have Weiss talking down to Ruby in a similar way to Goodwitch, but meaner. This would also make Ruby's want for Weiss's approval have a deeper meaning: Ruby sees the similarities and feels that if she befriends Weiss she'll be fighting Goodwitch's disapproval of her.

Semblance is a hard one. Perhaps it could come up in Jaune and Ruby's little weapons chat:
    'You know, Ruby, weapons aren't everything'
    'You're right! What's your semblence?
    'My what? ...Well this crescent symbol is from my great-grandfather, I've got my own version but it's under my armour so it's a bit hard to see.'
    No, not your emblem, your semblence! Mine's a general speed-type: I can move really fast and stop almost instantly. It was a bit hard to learn to control, but 184 hours practice had me jumping about like a kung-fu flea! What can you do?'
    'Well, ummm... I... I'm... still working on it?'
    'Oh. Oh, I'm sorry, I developed mine so fast, I forget that other people haven't got theirs. I, I'm sorry, seventeen is really old to not have a semblance... I mean, don't worry! I'm sure you'll get it eventually! Um, um, do you know where we're going?

This took longer to type than I expected. I'm going to have to cut it off here. Tomorrow I'll get around to what I would do with some of the episodes we've seen so far, and maybe some of my ideas to redesign the series from the ground up.

Yes. Just yes.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Here's the start of the rewrite.

Well, since you're asking...
    Like LaZodiac (and others), what I think really needs changing is the apparent threat level. Firstly, I would give some kind of effect that lets us know when Aura is running low or taking a blow dangerously close to getting through. This will let us know when the Huntresses are in real trouble.
    Secondly, establish that loss and death are things that happen. This doesn't have to be shown on screen: some conversation about a team or friends falling (maybe mention some Grimm species involved, to give some detail and worldbuilding) from the older cast, or a lesson (Because we are in a school) on how to penetrate Aura ('do not think that you are invincible') will suffice.
    Thirdly, make the Grimm more of an obvious threat. Have them dodge attacks, show a little (not too much -- they are animals) cunning, land damaging hits in their early encounters, fight on while missing limbs and covered in wounds. This will be easier if point 1 is in effect and we can see that our heroes aren't shrugging off the attacks.

I would also work on worldbuilding. We need to know about Hunters, Grimm, Beacon, Aura, semblance, Dust and Faunus in the first few episodes, as these are the important bits of season 1. Huntresses, Grimm and Beacon's introductions are fine as they are. If Ruby takes a hit or two from Cinder or Torchwick, Glynda could mention it during her telling-off.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Glynda: Miss Rose, are you aware of your Aura?
    Ruby: (perking up, eager to explain her skills to this Huntress) Yes, miss. My Unc-
    Glynda: You are aware that it is our greatest means of protection?
    Ruby: (confused and a little cowed) Yes, Miss, It's the lig-
    Glynda: (raising her voice slightly) You are aware that it is the light of our souls, projected outwards to deflect harm?
    Ruby: (starting to get a bit upset) Yes, I know all this!
    Glynda: Do you know that being able to wield a twelve-kilogram combat scythe, defeat eight grown men without a scratch and survive a blast of fire-dust with only a little singeing are Aura feats not usually seen from casual warriors? I know experienced professionals who would have trouble doing all that in the space of five minutes! You even had enough Aura left to heal your grazes and burns with no trouble!
    Ruby: Umm, thanks?
    Glynda: (she faces Ruby for the first time) So tell me, Miss Rose, how it is that such a knowledgeble fifteen year old thinks it would be a good idea to chase an unknown enemy off into the night, alone,how she is caught off-guard by the enemy turning and fighting back, how she is unprepared for the fact that her enemy has some allies waiting in ambush, and how does she fall for an unimaginative trick and only survive because an experienced Huntress was nearby? Well, Miss Rose?
    (Ruby is crushed, and can't find anything to say. Glynda continues with her lecture.)

Dust could be introduced in a similar way. The scene with Weiss would have Weiss talking down to Ruby in a similar way to Goodwitch, but meaner. This would also make Ruby's want for Weiss's approval have a deeper meaning: Ruby sees the similarities and feels that if she befriends Weiss she'll be fighting Goodwitch's disapproval of her.

Semblance is a hard one. Perhaps it could come up in Jaune and Ruby's little weapons chat:
    'My what? ...Well this crescent symbol is from my great-grandfather, I've got my own version but it's under my armour so it's a bit hard to see.'
    No, not your emblem, your semblence! Mine's a general speed-type: I can move really fast and stop almost instantly. It was a bit hard to learn to control, but 184 hours practice had me jumping about like a kung-fu flea! What can you do?'
    'Oh. Oh, I'm sorry, I developed mine so fast, I forget that other people haven't got theirs. I, I'm sorry, seventeen is really old to not have a semblance... I mean, don't worry! I'm sure you'll get it eventually! Um, um, do you know where we're going?

This took longer to type than I expected. I'm going to have to cut it off here. Tomorrow I'll get around to what I would do with some of the episodes we've seen so far, and maybe some of my ideas to redesign the series from the ground up.
    While the examples you've used are not quite perfect and would need to be edited, particularly the semblance one, these are overall quite good ideas and would improve the show considerably. I would, for example, drop the mention of the scythe in the Ruby lecture, it's better appearing where it does in the conversation with Ozpin.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

27. - Top - End - #237

While the examples you've used are not quite perfect and would need to be edited, particularly the semblance one, these are overall quite good ideas and would improve the show considerably. I would, for example, drop the mention of the scythe in the Ruby lecture, it's better appearing where it does in the conversation with Ozpin.
    I was just making scenes up on the spot. I'm flattered that I'm being given something like real critism.
    The scythe bit was to try and get across the idea that Aura can boost strength, but it does clash with Ozpin's bit a little.
    Now, I really need to get some sleep and not keep reading through the first LW thread.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

The only real reason I'm not dedicating far more time then is needed into a RWBY rewrite is because I have my own story to work on.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: RWBY V: Inspired by Real Physics!

Show
    That has got to be the most hilarious grammar mistake I ever made

Extraordinarily detailed analysis of Durkoala's rewrite to be incoming. Btw, Mrc don't you have some pretty extensive ideas your holding out on us?
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-09-10 at 11:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

I think really needs changing is the apparent threat level. Firstly, I would give some kind of effect that lets us know when Aura is running low or taking a blow dangerously close to getting through. This will let us know when the Huntresses are in real trouble.

Wow. This addresses a lot of what people say is wrong with minimal changes. I, for one, like the idea of Weiss explaining how dust works early on. However, I generally don't think there's much wrong with how the series presents things in the beginning.

Ruby got her bacon saved by Glynda, I feel that was enough of an implication she needed the saving. not sure we need Aura introduced earlier than it is, basically because Jaune is the first time we really see a character take any damage.

The assumption you have is it also increases character strength but this isn't canon. I also, don't think Ruby needs a an ulterior motive to get Weiss to like her, nor would she have ever addressed it (just as she didn't start acting smarter after interrupting Weiss's attack, she just acted even more impulsively in charging the deathstalker).

Firstly, I would give some kind of effect that lets us know when Aura is running low or taking a blow dangerously close to getting through. This will let us know when the Huntresses are in real trouble.
    Hmm if only there was some way to show Aura running dangerously low...
    Spoiler: all spoilers for size
    Show
    And to imply at the time, no, preferably to have someone outright tell us that the hero is now in danger because of that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    And, to heighten the drama, perhaps....sooon afterwards, show a situation in which a Grimm comes close to delivering a deathblow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe even require a Deus ex Machina to swoop in at the last second to save the hero:
    Spoiler
    Show

No I understand you, you would have all this much earlier and involving the heroine! Its hard to argue with writing out Jaune but I wouldn't but so much geeky exposition up front. Even slipped organically the audience might start hearing things the way Ruby did during Weiss's dust lecture.

Non-sequitur Fan video of Weiss being awesome:
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-09-11 at 09:18 AM.