The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Goblin rogue help!

I had an idea for a sneaky goblin rogue who used two daggers at once. He would be more based around throwing them than mixing it up in close combat. I need some help though, as I not sure what order to take his feats. I was thinking some levels of fighter might help with the feat deficiency. By the way, I'm aware this character will be suboptimal. If I wanted cheese I wouldn't use a goblin. These are the feats I would like to get-

Weapon Finesse
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Rapid Shot
    Quick Draw
    Point Blank Shot

Any other suggestions? What order should I take these in? What order should I take my levels of Fighter and Rogue in?
    Looking for d20 Modern, D&D, Mutants and Masterminds, Spirit of the Century, heck, I'll take anything, in the general vicinity of Warren, MI. Send PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Goblin rogue help!

I would take a look at the Master Thrower and Invisible Blade PrCs from the CompWar as well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldrew View Post
    I had an idea for a sneaky goblin rogue who used two daggers at once. He would be more based around throwing them than mixing it up in close combat. I need some help though, as I not sure what order to take his feats. I was thinking some levels of fighter might help with the feat deficiency. By the way, I'm aware this character will be suboptimal. If I wanted cheese I wouldn't use a goblin. These are the feats I would like to get-

Weapon Finesse
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Rapid Shot
    Quick Draw
    Point Blank Shot

Any other suggestions? What order should I take these in? What order should I take my levels of Fighter and Rogue in?
    Take the first level in Rogue, no question about it. It'll get you 24 more skill points than Fighter1. Then, I'd suggest four levels in fighter, to get you your feats, then Rogue from there on out (unless you PrC into something else). I'd suggest this feat progression:
    Rog1: Two Weapon Fighting
    Rog1/Ftr1: Weapon Finesse (fighter bonus)
    Rog1/Ftr2: Quick Draw (fighter bonus), Point Blank Shot
    Rog1/Ftr3: x
    Rog1/Ftr4: Rapid Shot (fighter bonus)

EDIT: I'd also seriously recommend Precise Shot - even to the point of putting it where Rapid Shot currently is, and holding off on Rapid Shot until 6th level. Your party tank will thank you for it.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-03-09 at 02:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Take the first level in Rogue, no question about it. It'll get you 24 more skill points than Fighter1. Then, I'd suggest four levels in fighter, to get you your feats, then Rogue from there on out (unless you PrC into something else). I'd suggest this feat progression:

EDIT: I'd also seriously recommend Precise Shot - even to the point of putting it where Rapid Shot currently is, and holding off on Rapid Shot until 6th level. Your party tank will thank you for it.
    I've played this character, it was a halfling full on rogue, about a billion times until just recently, and quick draw is your best friend in the world. No it doesn't help you hit them, but it doubles the speed at which you can take actions. If you do go into master thrower then talk to you DM about switching the Quick Draw you get in that one's first level to something else. Honestly a thrower can't be done at all without quick draw. If you don't take it early then you make two attacks first round then one attack at every one after it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    That's a very good route, there.

You might consider going Rogue 1/Fighter 2/Ranger 2, though. You'll get Rapid Shot as a bonus feat if you take the archery combat style, and since you're investing in weapon finesse you'll want to take advantage of your Dexterity with light armor so the restriction shouldn't hurt you. Plus you'll get an improved Fort and Reflex save, Track, and Favored Enemy instead of the dead third level of fighter; your only loss is the smaller hit die (which on average will cause you one HP per level for the two levels).

If you go on all rogue (or PrC) from then on, you won't have any multiclass XP penalty since rogue is favored for goblins, but it might hurt if you decide later to continue in ranger or fighter.

EDIT: Just realized, your base Will save will be one lower if go the ranger route, too. That makes it a tiny bit more questionable.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-03-09 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

but ranger will also give you more skill points than the 2 levels of fighter, i'd go for that myself.
    other possible option would be 2 levels of psy-warr for the feats and access to psionic feats too!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so we're looking at a Goblin Rogue with five Feats? That's twelve levels... you should almost certainly switch into Fighter or maybe Ranger at some point.

Goblin (Rogue 3, Fighter 3)
    Rogue 1: BAB 0, Point Blank Shot, Sneak Attack (1D6),
    Rogue 2: BAB 1, Evasion,
    Rogue 3: BAB 2, Rapid Shot, Sneak Attack (2D6),
    Fighter 1: BAB 3: Two Weapon Fighting,
    Fighter 2: BAB 4: Weapon Finesse,
    Fighter 3: BAB 5: Quick Draw,

That's how I would do it.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #8

: fighter level 3 is dumb level.
    Remember, Fighter 3 doesn't give you a bonus feat. A dip in Barbarian is better, what with the larger hit die and increased base speed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not to mention barb rage.

Town Character Nukular, now retired as my avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas 'Moose' RockNukular
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil
    Donovan the Mutant Mindflayer
    Big Paul and Lucas's mother Joanna

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

You could try the Ranger route, too.

Rang 1: Track, Weapon Finesse
    Rang 2: Two Weapon Fighting
    Rang 3: Endurance, Quick Draw
    Rang 4: --
    Rang 6: Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot
    Rang 7: --
    Rang 8: --
    Rang 9: Rapid Shot

Add in the right Favored Enemies and you could be quite effective.