Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Apocrypha War {Mage: The Awakening}

Welcome to The Apocrypha War.

For posterity, please repost your sheets, and then stay tuned for the introduction to this war story.

Also, pay attention to this post as we move along, I will be updating it with information.
    We don't know how many the Collectors have stolen. Thousands, hundreds of thousands. It's not important. What matters is this: Not. One. More. That's what we can do here, today. It ends with us. They want to know what we're made of? I say we show them, on our terms. Let's bring our people home.

Mass Effect: Scars.

Returning 2015.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Apocrypha War {Mage: The Awakening}

Homebrew Works in progress:

Demolitionist

I am at the mercy of WiFi for the moment, posting may be erratic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's my sheet for Robert Dunn, Sphinx, and Liar.

So, now that the groups all worked out, should we start hashing out our cabal's rules and accepted rights?
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2014-09-06 at 07:15 PM.
    I am an
    Spoiler
    Show
    INTP Myers-Briggs Personality Type
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Introverted Intuitive mind typically creates a unique vision and arrives at unique insights about things, phenomena, or people. It strives to discover the essence of things and fill in the missing pieces of a puzzle.

Because sometimes, saying that you are a 3rd level CG Elf Wizards doesn't say anything at all

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Evanesce
    ???? ????, Mystagogue Acanthus and Daksha
    Timeless Seeker and Philosoph

STATBLOCK
    Spoiler
    Show

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence 4
    Wits 1
    Resolve 2

Strength 2
    Dexterity 2
    Stamina 2

Presence 2
    Manipulation 2
    Composure 5

MENTAL
    Academics 3 (magosophy)
    Crafts
    Investigation 4
    Occult 3
    Politics 1 (Mages)
    Medicine
    Science

PHYSICAL
    Athletics
    Brawl
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny 2
    Stealth 2
    Survival
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy 3 (Motives)
    Expression
    Intimidation
    Persuasion 2
    Socialize 2
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge

MERITS
    High Speech (*)
    Gnosis Boost ()
    Gnosis Boost ()
    Mystery Initiation (**)
    Well-Travelled ()
    Languages: German, Chinese, Indian ()
    Secrets (*****)
    Status 1
    Allies (Labor unions) 2
    Contacts (government officers) 2

ARCANA
    Fate 2
    Time 2
    Life 3
    Spaces 1

GNOSIS 3
    MANA 5/12 (3/turn max)
    WISDOM 5
    VIRTUE: Charity
    VICE: Lust
    FLAW: Compromised

DERIVED TRAITS
    Willpower 7
    Defense 1
    Health 7
    Initiative 7
    Speed 9

ROTES
    On the Shoulders of Giants (physical reconfiguration; SL p.198)
    The Mage can grant themselves the Fast Reflexes ( to ), Fleet of Foot ( to ), Iron Stamina ( to ), Iron Stomach, Natural Immunity, Quick Healer, Striking Looks ( or ), Strong Back, Strong Lungs, or Toxin Resistance merits by dividing potency between merit dots, if they meet the prereqs.

Composure+Subterfuge+Life, 6 dice

the Crooked Eye (Angle Vision; GotV p.197)
    The Mage can see around immediate corners as if they had craned their head or shifted their vantage point to look.

Wits+Investigation+Spaces, 7 dice

On the Radar (Spatial Map, core p.233)
    The Mage gains a constantly updating awareness of all contiguous space, similar to a radar display on a HUD in a first person shooter game.

Intelligence+Occult+Spaces, 9 dice

ATTAINMENTS
    Increase initiative, require 1/8 oxygen, go 8x longer without food or water, 8x longer to suffer toxins, heal bashing 8x faster (1 minute per), constant 360 vision, no body hair.

XP: 25
    UNSPENT XP: 3
    ARCANE XP: 0
    UNSPENT ARCANE: 0

DESCRIPTION
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evanesce is a stately, moderately graceful figure who dresses simply but to the nines, often in flowing Indian-inspired garb, but not always. Clean-shaven, face like carved olive marble, and body of supple muscle and smooth, unblemished skin, Evanesce looks like some future Hollywood depiction of a Hindu god or goddess. Evanesce is easily comfortable in either attire, and maddeningly difficult to place.

Their hair is a richly dark brown, like maple and honey. Lustrous and straight, often kept high beneath a turban, shawl, scarf, hat, or similar, because Evanesce's eyes are a vivid, memorable amber. All three of them, the round orb in the back of their head a striking thing when not covered properly.

Evanesce prefers a stately personal atmosphere, moves with slow fluidity, and speaks with an implacable but subtly arrogant accent.

HISTORY
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evanesce, usually going by either Evan or Vanessa when dealing with sleepers, appeared on the scene in San Francisco ten years ago. Before that there are no records at all, other than obvious tells of a constructed identity and a past left in the past. Many mages fake their own death so this isn't anything noteworthy in Mage society.

Since arrival however, Evanesce has played the role of socialite and political spider. Ever the middle-man, they reaped favors and friends with well-placed magic and leveraged those favors whenever any hardships accrued. Working their way in to the unions, politics, and some government favor before settling down to lead an easy life and focus on using those resources for the good of the Mysterium, and whichever Consilium was operating at the time.

The latest cabal to host Evanesce was put together with obscure purpose, and was ripe for opportunity. Suggesting national or political entities for thematic mystery plays, using the social and economic symbolism behind history to generate Supernal resonance. And at the last, when all others had chosen, Evanesce spoke, choosing to represent Atlantis and the Mysteries.

It was an arrogant assertion, and a meta one as well; for the arrogance of assuming the role of Atlantis, the hubris of placing one above all others as most important, was the greatest political symbolism possible for Atlantis as a nation. Acting now as the Supernal currents behind fallen history will likely cause friction in the cabal, but the energetic charge to their rituals will be outstanding. A price Evanesce is, so far, willing to pay.

MUNDANE GEAR
    Spoiler
    Show
    Exceedingly Fine Wardrobe +2
    A set of pieces and full suits of well made and well-tailored outfits, gifted by friends and contacts across a career, boosting social skills when used appropriately.

Worn but sturdy lock picks +2
    A Mysterium (and guardian, and libertine) staple. Acquired after an affair with a budding cat-burglar turned sour due to Evanesce's intentional ambiguity backfiring. Evanesce is fairly sure the burglar has been taken care of and is not a threat. Fairly sure.

magical tools: TBD

Nimbus: Blooming; becoming; when representing virtue, a thousand thousand unfolding lotus petals. When representing vice, the sent of Rose hips and dandelion seeds blowing away. When paradox manifestation, the stink of rotting vegetation and wilting petals.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

So I am almost done with my sheet, but I have a previous engagement tonight. I hope this is ok Lenxtrax, I realize I've been saying this for awhile
    Artorias Avatar by Oneris !!!

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A question arises. Is it possible to leave a legacy? I can't remember and don't have access to my book at this instant.
    I am an
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Introverted Intuitive mind typically creates a unique vision and arrives at unique insights about things, phenomena, or people. It strives to discover the essence of things and fill in the missing pieces of a puzzle.

Because sometimes, saying that you are a 3rd level CG Elf Wizards doesn't say anything at all

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Garrett Schopenhauer

Oracle, you can't. It's a permanent deal unless story special stuff allows it to happen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Joseph Schaalman, aka "Loeb"

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Joseph Schaalman grew up in rural Germany, the youngest son of a poor Jewish family. Even at an early age, he showed an aptitude for learning, though the outbreak of the Great War when he was a child and the death of his older brother threatened to put an end to his academic pursuits.

As he grew older, his parents were proud that he chose to enter the Rabbinic Orders. While studying the more mystic areas of Judaism, Joseph had a revelation about the world. His Awakening merely strengthened his faith, and he redoubled his efforts to become a Rabbi. In secret, he also devoted himself to the study of magic, and applying it through the lens of his faith. He took on the Shadow Name Loeb, after the Rabbi who created the mythical Golem of Prague.

However, the persecution soon started. Joseph was forced to abandon everything he had known, and fled to America. He barely spoke English, but knew that it was better for him and his family to leave Germany than to stay behind and die.

When presented with the opportunity to fight back, he gladly took it. So many of his people have died at the hands of the Nazis, and thanks to his skill with magic, especially the Arcana of Matter and Death, Loeb can give the dead a chance to avenge themselves.

"What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth3 View Post
    "The problem is that I received a stunning vision of cosmic unity years before I Awakened. I kept getting the visions, from flashing lights or sudden noises, until they got me on the right pills. And if that was all meaningless, who's to say this is any different? As for terminology, I used to think Sleeper was insulting, before I realised what happens to people who can't sleep."
    "But you know time magic exists, that synchronicity can be studied for metaphysical value. You still choose to believe generations of people just as smart as you have all deluded themselves and that these flashes of interest hold no meaning whatsoever? And you believe us to be arrogant?"

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofSilence View Post
    A question arises. Is it possible to leave a legacy? I can't remember and don't have access to my book at this instant.
    Nope! A legacy is a soul mutation that forever alters your pattern. You're stuck with it and the closest canonical example of such is someone joining a legacy, and breaking off to form their own with identical first attainments and different second and third attainments.

Which means if it's possible it's going to be the majority of a character's personal arc. Mage is a game where everything is possible, but by the time you're strong enough to do something the question won't be worth answering anymore.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well damn. Now I need to figure out if I really want Robert to be a Sphinx. It's a really cool legacy, and I feel like it fits him pretty well, but I kind of want to make a custom one for him at the same time.
    I am an
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

It's an exception, but it's possible to leave the Tremere Liches.

You can just never join another Legacy again after that, and doesn't really apply to leaving others...

"Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofSilence View Post
    Well damn. Now I need to figure out if I really want Robert to be a Sphinx. It's a really cool legacy, and I feel like it fits him pretty well, but I kind of want to make a custom one for him at the same time.
    *shrug* play it by ear? The fun of legacies is less in Their powers and more in the drama they create; you get a master, you get social stigma and you get history that you buy into. Making your own is a different beast entirely, with a heftier cost and plays more toward frankensteinian morality and knowing better than all others and deciding to shape your soul without the ability for trial and error or any real scientific input.

It's fun, for sure! But dangerous.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

IC thread is now up.
    We don't know how many the Collectors have stolen. Thousands, hundreds of thousands. It's not important. What matters is this: Not. One. More. That's what we can do here, today. It ends with us. They want to know what we're made of? I say we show them, on our terms. Let's bring our people home.

Mass Effect: Scars.

Returning 2015.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

It's incredibly preemptive, but should we get that far, my vote for our next OOC thread absolutely goes to "The Monument Magi".
    I am an
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

Do we all know each other, or are we meeting for the first time?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The Apocrypha War {Mage: The Awakening}

We're all in SF, so anyone in the Mysterium would at least have passing knowledge each other. Those with both Status and Mystery Initiation would probably be local household names, though not always good ones. Evanesce probably has a whole lot of lewd gossip behind hir name, for example.

Och, reminds me. I'm going to tally our merits real quick-like.
    Right, three sanctum, three hallow. I am buying a dot of hallow with the last of my XP. Chaos Archon, if you are not starting with a dot in hallow let me know and I will drop the Well-Travelled merit. That should give me just enough to buy a second dot of hallow.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2014-09-07 at 03:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

OK, we'll assume that we're a newly-formed Cabal in San Francisco. Isaac was working in Pasadena, but he could have easily moved North. Any ideas for our San Francisco Sanctum? It might be fun to use a real building.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I wish I knew anything at all about San Francisco...

*runs off to consult Wikipedia.*

Also, what is Gehenna? I don't recall it being mentioned in the requiem book.
    Last edited by Corwin Icewolf; 2014-09-07 at 06:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Gehenna is actually a vampire: the masquerade reference. I approve; it drives home how alien the other monsters are.

Alternately, I'm wrong. XD

So we are a cabal formed just recently and for this mission? I can get behind that. Does that mean we should discuss cabal structure in-game? Or structure it here then hash it out there?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Gehenna is another name for the Big Below last I checked, but knowing Mage it probably is something wildly different. Btw I'm putting a dot into hallow and sanctum, I would have had my sheet done now but Myth-weavers is being a butt and erased my sheet so I have to recreate it

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Yeah I had some trouble with myth weavers too. It's a pain.

I think I'd rather let the cabal structure develop in game tbh. Partly because I'm not sure what's normally decided for it, so it seems easier to cross all the bridges as we come to them. But ultimately whatever you all think is fine.

Homebrew Works in progress:

Demolitionist

I am at the mercy of WiFi for the moment, posting may be erratic.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

I'm kind of interested in how I'm going to role play Garrett once the bombing of Nagasaki happens. Could be very interesting depending on if he has built strong ties with the rest of the group. Might actually push him off the deep end as well.

24. - Top - End - #24

Oh God.

That's going to be horrifying.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

It will certainly be interesting. Remind me, what is the year? Because Thomas' reaction to the German bombing of London shall be interesting too.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

It's 1942. I'm not sure if the story will last as long as the war.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Being a social Butterfly has it's weird focuses. I am setting up for a divination to determine which gender presentation would go over the best upon landing. I only didn't yet because I realized as much sense as it makes for the character it's sort of a silly use of dice without preamble.

28. - Top - End - #28

RedWizardGuy

Male would get the best treatment in 1942 Spain, I think.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe. It's a toss-up, since we don't know what we'll meet when we land. It could be someone who trusts and prefers men for positions of command and feels women are silly empty headed things, but it could be an old (or young, I'm not picky) lecher who would be more amenable to a turn of ankle or to seeing the states really do still have some class and can bear themselves with discretion and poise.

Like I said, it's a silly thing game-wise, but it's the first real action when getting in character. Acanthus are like that I guess?

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Does Evanesce have dark skin? It's implied by the description, but I wasn't sure. Race would probably be more important than gender in peoples' reactions, in that case. That might be a problem in Vichy France.