New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If it has stats... (Challenge to the playground)

I am seeing all kinds of different things being attempted. Up to and including cheesy stuff.

So Plan A: I Iron Heart Surge it.

Plan B: Since we are allowed to gain class levels and it takes time ( unspecificied amount ) to gain these class levels. During class building time, infinite CL build-up prior to and then casting gate to gate it another of 'this thing' from another multiverse ( or dimension or what not ) and get it to deal with this thing since it falls with the 1 standard action per caster level or whatever language of the gate spell.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

The character:

An illithid/illithid savant 5 eats the brain of 20th level archivist for spell casting as a 20th level archivist and the brain of protean for 'alter form'. It has 7 feats (5 from 13 HD, plus 2 from illithid savant).

1. ??
    3. Twin Spell
    6. Easy[Twin]
    9. Martial Study[some L1 Iron Heart]
    12. Martial Study[Iron Heart Surge]
    IS2: ??
    IS4: ??

Every day it casts foresight. It acquire Arcane Fusion by creating a divine scroll of Arcane Fusion with the (paid) contribution of Arcane Fusion from Sorcerer. It acquires Celerity in the same manner.

Upon learning of impending doom from foresight, it immediately casts Easy Twin Arcane Fusion[Celerity] from a 7th level slot as full-round action which grants 2 standard actions.
    The first standard action casts Favor of the Martyr for immunity to the drawback of celerity.
    The other standard action casts Easy Twin Arcane Fusion[Celerity] as a standard action which grants 2 standard actions.
    The first standard action is a wish to transport to the thing as a standard action.
    The other standard action casts Easy Twin Arcane Fusion[Celerity] as a standard action which grants 2 standard actions.
    As a free action, the Illithid savant mimics the thing's form, acquiring it's impending doom ability,
    The first standard action then uses the acquired ability on the creature.
    The other standard action is Iron Heart Surge to end the condition currently causing impending doom on itself.
    As a free action, use alter form to acquire a Colossus Antimagic Field (which is an Ex ability). As per the rules compendium, all incorporeal creatures (not just undead) disappear yet have a local time proceed within an antimagic field.
    Wait 5 rounds, proceed with life.

The desired effect: Creature has no actions remaining, Doom ability ends on us, Creature is hit with it's own doom ability.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Some fishing of my own.

-A random Outlander spots the creature, approaches it, gets bored, and leaves.
    -Another outlander spots the mechanical monstrosity and decides to sketch it
    -A third outlander spots it, shrugs, says, "It's the outlands," turns away, and never thinks of it again.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

An artificer takes Craft Contingent Spell, and either Leadership or some other means of gaining three assistants (I'm not sure if constructs would work; I'd have to double-check all of the relevant spells). He crafts four Contingent Spells of Delay Death, four of Share Pain, one each of Glory of the Martyr, Masochism, and Beastland Ferocity. The triggers for each of these can just be him saying a particular word. In addition, he has a nonmagical thinaun dagger, and three more contingent spells: A Shatter, triggered to go off targeting the object in his right hand if he's been dead for more than ten rounds, a Revenance, triggered to go off targeting himself if the object in his right hand is destroyed, and a Revivify, triggered to go off if he dies due to the duration of Revenance expires (these last two could be replaced by True Resurrection, but this is cheaper).

You may recognize what I'm doing here-- It's basically just the omniscificier, re-done to not be reliant on questionable things like custom items and drown healing (which forces him to be higher level, but that's OK). In addition, he has also crafted, oh, let's say a half-dozen scrolls of Wish.

Here's what I expect will happen. He grabs ahold of his dagger, triggers his omniscience spells, and jumps off a cliff. He takes infinite damage, which attracts the attention of The Entity, but also gives him full knowledge of it. 1d4+1 rounds later, if it still exists, The Entity first strips his class features (which he no longer needs, just his already-active spells, his existing items, and his skill ranks), then attempts to kill him via nigh-infinite damage, which is redundant as he's already taken infinite damage and his Delay Death is still active. The Entity then uses its just-die power, which (presumably) works, but the Soul Bind does not, as his soul is instead sucked into his dagger. Ten rounds after that, the dagger is shattered, his soul is released, and he's brought back to life via Revenance and eventually Revivify, with no level loss.

Meanwhile, once he attains his omniscience, he's going to use his scrolls of Wish to attempt to take down the creature, in whatever way seems most appropriate once he knows all about it. This can presumably be done within 1d4+1 rounds, since the wizard's Foresight advised him that the way to avoid death was to kill the thing first.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

I predict that you die 5 rounds into your crafting.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I predict that you die 5 rounds into your crafting.
    I predict the assistants get hostile and ruin any crafting, then he dies.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kazyan's Dweomerkeeper (attempt 3 & 4): same result

MetaMyconid's Domovoi: (ability loss)/(damage) before round 1. As for rolling system: 32PB is fine. Congratz on beating v1 without Miracle.

It seems I'm going too slow to keep up with you all. I wonder if there's someone with good RAW interpretation skills and free time who doesn't want to participate in the challenge but would be willing to respond to challengers.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kazyan's Dweomerkeeper (attempt 3 & 4): same result

MetaMyconid's Domovoi: (ability loss)/(damage) before round 1. As for rolling system: 32PB is fine. Congratz on beating v1 without Miracle.

It seems I'm going too slow to keep up with you all. I wonder if there's someone with good RAW interpretation skills and free time who doesn't want to participate in the challenge but would be willing to respond to challengers.
    If I had the character sheet, then I believe I can give accurate answers until the really crazy stuff shows up.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I hope someone takes over. I really would like to know how this character stays up to a Sphere of Annihilation.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Okay, sorry, instead of doing what I was doing, I get to the thing by using quickened fly, greater teleport to get to one of the gates into Sigil, move action into Sigil, quickened greater teleport (I can use MM reducers to make that a ninth-level spell) to the thing, full move directly above, infinite frees to bombard it with NI damage.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I hope someone takes over. I really would like to know how this character stays up to a Sphere of Annihilation.
    I am also enjoying watching this insanity, and scribbling notes in my "do not allow these things in a real game" file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    -snip-
    Yay, thanks! I'm really happy to know that my little thinking outside the box wasn't in vain, even if that way it'd be mutually assured destruction

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Mystia's Lich: Body destroyed while scattering phylacteries. When he comes back to life he's destroyed again before he can take actions. The phylacteries are not destroyed.
    I see, that'd be quite a sad end for the lich, eternal death and rebirth!
    But this leads me to wonder, can the creature "multitask", or would it be unable to move on in it's list, since the Lich wasn't really eliminated yet?
    It probably is able to, but my last try gave me an idea...

First, a really simple attempt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redacted this out, nevermind it, OP!

Alright, and then a really complex one, thinking with undead again:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Loredrake Spellstitched Dragonwrought Kobold Dracolich
    Sorcerer 6/Tainted Scholar 10
    (ECL totals at 20 I swear)
    Important feats: Craft Contingent Spell, Mother Cyst, Dragonwrought (ofc), Leadership, Quicken Spell
    Contingent spells: Greater Celerity (#1 - goes off whenever he's surprised), Greater Celerity (#2 - goes off whenever Foresights warns of an impeding threat), Greater Celerity (#3 - goes off when he is teleported against his will, after reaching the destination).
    Daily buffs always include Foresight and True Seeing, which last through the day (and possibly the month/year) thanks to his CL of "Yes".
    His phylactery is located in his lair - a crypt beneath an Red Dragon Cemetery (Dragon Cemeteries as Draconomicon, page 16), which he inherited from his former mentor and friend, a Great Wyrm Red Dragon.

Items in possession:
    - Handy Haversack
    - Metamagic Rod Quicken (Greater)
    - Custom item of Plane Shift, Greater
    - Mirror of Opposition with 1 charge left
    - Belt of Battle

Always standing somewhere nearby, is his Cohort, a 17th level Cleric of Nerull, still living and breathing.
    Buffs herself daily with Delay Death (Persisted via DMM), Favor of the Martyr (same), and Divine Power (as well).
    Has got Tolerancy and Diehard as feats (... yeah) and Divine Metamagic.
    Has got an Contingent Revivify up (via craft feat), because the dracolich values a living servant that can easily blend into society.
    Is Mind-Linked to the kobold dracolich.

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Lich is extremely shifty, vindictive and suspicious of everyone, including his cohort. Thus, as soon as they met, he - as he does with everyone - inflicted her with a Necrotic Cyst, to ensure she'd never disobey his orders. Being an worshipper of Nerull, she even willingly accepted his "blessing".

Since he's a known sadist, a good part of his cohort's buffs are just meant to prevent an uneventful painful death. And since he's utterly paranoid, his contingencies are just to prevent his own uneventful demise at the hands of some pesky paladin of Pelor or Marut.

Certain night, just one second past midnight, he was complaining to his cohort about how despite he wearing his best clothes that day, no pesky adventurers showed up to try to slay him, and was wondering if he should go enslave the ghostly dragon that guards the cemetery again, since he's bored - when the door to his chamber creaks open.

One of his minions then reports to him with rumors about something killing high level adventurers. The prideful dracolich kobold takes offense - something killing his prey?? He snickers and shouts out loud "Hah, unless it's mighty Nerull or Pun-Pun himself, I shall take this as a challenge and defeat whatever that thing is!"

Step by Step:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as his Foresight warns him of impending danger, his contingency is triggered (or he gets surprised, which also means a contingency going off), granting him two full round actions that round.
    He then uses a quickened Greater Arcane Infusion to cast:
    - Necrotic Domination on his fool of a cohort, then ordering him not to do anything unless told to, and always willingly fail saving throws against him.
    - Magic Jar, in order to swap bodies with his cohort.(possession takes a full round action)

He then orders his enslaved cohort to prepare to cast a Miracle spell, using the exact wording he gives him, on his command.
    Then, he readies an action to Dispel his own magic jar, in order to swap back to his own body, should something damage or attempt to damage his 'current body', and to do so after said damage or attempt takes place.
    As soon as it happens (body stays alive, since he isn't taking any damage due to buffs), he's back at his 'own body', and the cohort as well.

<I'm unsure of what happens next, so I'm working based on assumptions, sorry>

I take it that now he is going to get stripped of class abilities and be teleported to Sigil.
    I - In case this does happens, once there, another contingency goes off, and he immediately also spends all charges in his Belt of Battle. Realizing he can no longer cast spells, he panicks, quickly fetches his Mirror of Opposition from his Handy Haversack, gets it to face his foe being, and activates it.
    I.a - Should the Mirror work properly and spawn a duplicate of the being, the Lich will stick around to watch the fireworks.
    I.b - Should it fail, he then uses his custom item to get back to his lair and orders his cohort to Miracle the utter annihilation, destruction and obliteration of X being, located in Sigil, at Y coordinates.

II - If he gets killed before being able to teleport back, he then immediately goes back to his phylactery (thanks to dracolich's immunity) takes possession of a Red Dragon corpse, and via Mindlink orders his cohort to cast the Miracle described at I.b .
    II.a - If he gets killed before seeing the location of the being (i.e. while it's still next to his cohort), he immediately takes possession of an Red Dragon corpse, and via Mindlink orders his cohort to cast the Miracle described above, but worded as the utter annihilation, destruction and obliteration of "the being that has just caused the destruction of <lich's name>'s body".
    II.b - If he gets "spawn-killed" and is unable to communicate with his cohort any further, the order (given after dispelling the Magic Jar) was for the cohort to Miracle "an activated Mirror of Opposition in front of the being that caused the destruction of <lich's name>'s body, facing said being" should he get destroyed.

Aand if somehow everything fails... I, I'll need some time to think.
    Last edited by Mystia; 2014-09-11 at 05:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystia View Post
    Yay, thanks! I'm really happy to know that my little thinking outside the box wasn't in vain, even if that way it'd be mutually assured destruction

I see, that'd be quite a sad end for the lich, eternal death and rebirth!
    But this leads me to wonder, can the creature "multitask", or would it be unable to move on in it's list, since the Lich wasn't really eliminated yet?
    It probably is able to, but my last try gave me an idea...

First, a really simple attempt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cleric of Pelor 10/Divine Oracle 10
    A retired old cleric, living her golden days peacefully on a isolated monastery after a lifetime of adventuring.

Suddenly, she gets "surprised" by said being.
    However, due to the Divine Oracle capstone, she "isn't really surprised", and gets a free standard action.
    With her standard action, she Miracles for Pelor to deal with the being that triggered her capstone ability before it is able to harm her.
    I'm pretty sure that qualifies as using Miracle, which is how Erik won.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    If I had the character sheet, then I believe I can give accurate answers until the really crazy stuff shows up.
    Might be too crazy then. It seems like you're really into the guessing too. I'd ask Erik if I thought he didn't want to compete anymore (which may be the case). Either way, I will respond to everyone.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fishing Attempt 3 (please go back and see #1 and 2 btw):
    Make an Ice Assassin of Boccob. The Ice Assassin instantly realizes that killing Boccob would be pointless and impossible. Tell the Ice Assassin to kill the thing that's going to kill me, because OH MY GOD ITS RIGHT THERE KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT QUICKLY!

By the way, remember that this is Boccob the Uncaring, so if he realizes that for whatever reason he actually cares about something (namely hating my character), he would become intrigued and try to figure out why, and probably kill the thing that made it so, because anything that could influence his opinions is obviously dangerous and needs to be put down.
    Last edited by 1pwny; 2014-09-11 at 03:14 PM.
    I do stuff.

I usually log on, look at some threads, post, watch for few minutes, then leave and come back the next day. If I don't respond to your replies immediately, don't take offence.

My Homebrewer's Signature

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I'm pretty sure that qualifies as using Miracle, which is how Erik won.
    *gives it proper thought*
    ... Ouch, you're indeed right. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Sorry about that, I think I unconsciously stuck with the Miracle idea because it seems to me that the creature is invulnerable to almost anything except if it's divine/holy in some way. Either way, nevermind that then, OP (and the lich's cohort 'direct destruction miracles' too). I'm still pretty curious about the Mirror of Opposition, though!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

[Still catching up]

TheGeckoKing's Shaper of Form: For the purpose of this competition, epic magic items aren't the same as magic items, so the magic items Wish creates cap at CL 20. Also your character takes (ability loss)/(damage) the round before round 1.

Seppo87's Pun-pun: I feel like I ought to ask that Pun-Pun only use abilities that are defined in the game, but it's not like I've done that, so I won't yet. Based on the way you worded that, then, your character's ability to retroactively stop the creature fails. He takes (ability loss)/(damage) the round before getting Manipulate Form.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I think I know how this thing is killing people, I used (What I think) is the ability in a game once. It may be a combo, but I think I know what it is.

1 Question I need to know;
    1) Is it a monster with abilities, or a character with a build?

(And if I guess it correctly, do I get to see what it is?)
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Actually, I think I know how this thing is killing people, I used (What I think) is the ability in a game once. It may be a combo, but I think I know what it is.

1 Question I need to know;
    1) Is it a monster with abilities, or a character with a build?

(And if I guess it correctly, do I get to see what it is?)
    I have not seen the sheet. However I think it is a monster with abilities. See the response vs Pun Pun and the opening post's Regeneration comment.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    It goes unconscious for a while. Now what?
    Unconscious creatures are considered willing. Quickened PaO it into something (anything) that counts as a living creature, is my size or smaller, and is not immune to sleep. This is only likely to last one round, IIRC, but that's actually a good thing. It should still be unconscious, and therefore willing. Target it with Psionic Fusion. The Psionic Fusion should outlast the PaO, meaning the creature has all of its abilities back, as is also the same person I am. With all of those abilities, and the fact that we are already in Sigil, annoying the Lady of Pain enough to be flayed (and, therefore, insta-killed) is trivial. As per the text of Psionic Fusion, we separate, and are both dead.

That counts as a draw, right?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    I'd have to see the shadow dragon statblock to know for sure. It wouldn't work with the Dragon Breath/Enervating Breath combo, since the Shadow Dragon's breath weapon isn't one of those listed in the spell.
    They are from Monsters of Faerūn pg.43.
    This is their totally balanced breath weapon.
    Breath Weapon (Su): A shadow dragon’s breath weapon is a cone of billowing, smoky shadows with an energy drain effect.
    Creatures within the cone gain the number of negative levels shown on the accompanying table;
    the saving throw to remove the negative level is shown on the table as well.
    A successful Reflex save (against the same DC) reduces the number of negative levels by half (round down).
    Code:
    Age             Breath Weapon (DC)

Wyrmling:       1 (14)
    Very young:     1 (16)
    Young:          1 (18)
    Juvenile:       2 (20)
    Young adult:    2 (22)
    Adult:          3 (24)
    Mature adult:   4 (26)
    Old:            5 (29)
    Very old:       5 (32)
    Ancient:        6 (34)
    Wyrm:           7 (37)
    Great wyrm:     8 (39)

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

So we take a cheetah, slap the Paragon, mage bred and shadow templates on it. Since this cheetah falls under the very broad generalization of any carnivore (cause even unique creatures fall into the category of "any") now we use it as a basis for a lycanthrope.

Now the tycanthrope can never, by RAW, take the templated form of his animal half.

BUT, if this is an afflicted lycanthrope, after taking a bunch of damage, is FORCED to make a control shape check to not be forced into animal form. Voluntarily fail this save, and then you are this beast.

Shadow template has this little line "Dark creatures encountered away from the Plane of Shadow have the extraplanar subtype." which insinuates the on the plane of shadow, they don't, meaning the animal retains it's original and unchanged type. So that is +10 ft movement.

Quick trait is +10 feet.

Speed of thought gives +10 feet movement while psionically focused and is eligible to be taken multiple times. 2 flaws + level 1 (lets leave room for feats to make the build viable) + 30 while psionically focused.

rapid wrath is a spear that doubles speed for those who carry it. (not wield it)

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, item, grants 10 ft movement

So, base speed of a cheetah is 50 ft, + 10 ft from magebred + 10 from Shadow template + 10 quick trait x 3 from paragon (all the inherited templates and traits first) + 10 from Barbarian, + 10 from monk + 10 from Collar of Umbral metamorphosis + 30 from Speed of thought x 2 from Rapid Wrath x 10 from cheetah.

So the speed printed on the character sheet, is 6,000, and the run action brings us up to 24,000. We reach a whopping just barely under mach 4 at a run. A charge is 12,000 ft.

Now, I dont know how to get the devil type into the build, but I know it can be done. That allows the taking of Mark of Minauros feat and it's pre req, gaining a +2 bonus on attack roll at the end of the charge for every 10 feet moved as part of the charge

So on a 12,000 ft charge, that is a +2,402 to hit, and a +4,788 jump check.

Now, there are two tactics to use with this utterly silly build. Using Swooping Dragon strike to perma stun him (maybe?) with a DC 4,788 + str + D20 fort save or stun

or, Feral Death Blow maneuver, Jump check DC the Beast's (flatfooted) AC, and I have a str + D20 + 2,388 result, and if I deal damage, target is subjected to (with level 1 cancer mage + festering anger shenanigans) a fort save DC NI or instantly slain (HP instantly equal -10).
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So we take a cheetah, slap the Paragon, mage bred and shadow templates on it. Since this cheetah falls under the very broad generalization of any carnivore (cause even unique creatures fall into the category of "any") now we use it as a basis for a lycanthrope.

Now the tycanthrope can never, by RAW, take the templated form of his animal half.

You die from NI damage from an unseen source without gaining initiative.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 11:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

You die from NI damage from an unseen source without gaining initiative.
    why? How? None of that is anything but info about the rules behind the character
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

why? How? None of that is anything but info about the rules behind the character
    I was telling you the results you would get with that valid challenger.

Without any special advanced notice, you will die 5 turns after it starts on your character. Since your character has no way of knowing it is in danger, it dies on turn 5 without ever rolling initiative. The first couple of pages are full of similar cases before we figured that part out.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 11:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Time for a fishing expedition. Let's find out if this thing goes after bystanders and (if not) what kind of information gathering it uses.

Fishing attempt 1
    Buster the Spymaster: Bard 5/Spymaster 7/Ur-Priest 8
    Buster is in Deep Cover. Any Divination magic reveals nothing about Bob: such effects can only reveal information about his cover identity (Fiona the Florist, who is merely going about her daily business).

Fishing attempt 2
    Babs the Zhentarim Spy: Bard 5/Zhentarim Spy 5/Ur-Priest 10
    Babs is in Deep Cover. Any Scrying Spells or Mind Reading of less than Deific strength reveals nothing about Babs: such effects can only reveal information about her cover identity (Fiona the Florist, who is merely going about her daily business).

If either survives long enough, they make Bardic knowledge checks.
    Each has int 34, 5 ranks in Know history for the +2 bonus, and 5 levels in bard for a modifier of 19.

The checks for each character are on, in order:
    • Notable Local people (hoping the mystery thing qualifies)
    • Legendary Items (in hopes it or something important it has qualifies)
    • Details about the location (in hopes it reveals information we don't know about the location)

Check results (Rolls here)
    Buster's rolls

Babs' rolls
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2014-09-11 at 11:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

We've been assuming max rolls, actually, since otherwise you'd end up with continued resubmissions until you happened to roll max on everything that matters. It's why, after it was figured out, everyone gets five rounds instead of rolling 1d4+1.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

I was telling you the results you would get with that valid challenger.

Without any special advanced notice, you will die 5 turns after it starts on your character. Since your character has no way of knowing it is in danger, it dies on turn 5 without ever rolling initiative. The first couple of pages are full of similar cases before we figured that part out.
    I am banking on far superior movement speed to count for something
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am banking on far superior movement speed to count for something
    It doesn't. My first try never even reached the plane the creature was on before it died. Distance is no obstacle to the creature.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arclance View Post
    They are from Monsters of Faerūn pg.43.
    This is their totally balanced breath weapon.

Code:
    Age             Breath Weapon (DC)

Wyrmling:       1 (14)
    Very young:     1 (16)
    Young:          1 (18)
    Juvenile:       2 (20)
    Young adult:    2 (22)
    Adult:          3 (24)
    Mature adult:   4 (26)
    Old:            5 (29)
    Very old:       5 (32)
    Ancient:        6 (34)
    Wyrm:           7 (37)
    Great wyrm:     8 (39)
    The critical question, then, is can it use its breath weapon as frequently as it cares to, or is it a "once every 1d4 rounds" situation? If it is, it does me no good, because even with all the standard actions one could ever want, I'm still not taking more than one round. If it is not, and can be used whenever I have a standard action free, then the question is does it have a range in excess of 20'? If so, then it'd just be a matter of manifesting Greater Metamorphosis (or Shapechange).

As per rockdeworld's request, here is the revised form of the Jersey encounter:

Jersey manifests Foresight for the day, which warns him of incoming doom in 1d4+1 rounds. His thralls, if not already within 20', move to within 20'. Round 1 (after manifesting Foresight), Jersey manifests Affinity Field, covering himself and his thralls. If his thralls are able to act without interference this round, one manifests an augmented Synchronicity, and the Mad Minute is established. If not, Jersey manifests a quickened augmented Synchronicity, and the Mad Minute is established, but Jersey has no more swift actions this round (but still has access to the Greater Reality Benders if he really needs a swift action only spell or power). Using his standard, he manifests Fission, thrall 1 manifests Bestow Power, thrall 2 manifests an augmented Synchronicity, Fission manifests Bestow Power, etc. etc. Jersey then uses his next several standard actions (still in round 1 after Foresight) to establish the rest of the trick and any defenses he feels he might want (and can manifest as a standard action), including Greater Metamorphosis (or Shapechange, whichever is preferable) to become a Shadow Dragon (if the range on the Shadow Dragon's breath weapon is sufficient to attack the target beyond the Affinity Field). If so, he then Reality Revisions (or Wishes or Miracles) the team to the target, but keeping the target out of the Affinity Field, and breath weapons the thing to death. If the Shadow Dragon doesn't work for whatever reason, he uses Enervation (provided it can successfully hit the target, even if it is only on a natural twenty) until the thing dies.

Actually, though, given that I'm able to do arbitrarily large amounts of damage in a round, does the creature's regeneration have time to work? Or is it otherwise immune to damage (elemental, force, etc.)?

So, what happens?
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.