1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Question about editing posts w/ dice rolls.

Hello all, new PbP player here with a quick question:

Is it possible to edit a post with a completed dice roll without changing the roll results?

For example, could I make a post with a Reflex save roll, then re-enter the post to put reaction text after it?

I was thinking doing so would be easier than posting in two separate threads but don't want to accidentally change the original results, as I have absolutely no intention of trying, or seeming to try, to manipulate the rolls that I make.

I appreciate any answers to this question!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Question about editing posts w/ dice rolls.

Yes, you can submit a post with a roll and then edit the post without effecting the roll. Just be very careful not to alter the roll code at all.

What you can't do without messing up the roll is edit the roll code at all or use Preview Post with posts containing roll code.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

Forum Rules

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

As long as you don't touch the dice roll itself and don't try to add in more rolls, it should work. Some DMs don't like it, but they'll usually tell you if they have specific dice rolling rules before the game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altan Waywalker View Post
    Hello all, new PbP player here with a quick question:

Is it possible to edit a post with a completed dice roll without changing the roll results?

For example, could I make a post with a Reflex save roll, then re-enter the post to put reaction text after it?

I was thinking doing so would be easier than posting in two separate threads but don't want to accidentally change the original results, as I have absolutely no intention of trying, or seeming to try, to manipulate the rolls that I make.

I appreciate any answers to this question!
    Yes. If you make a roll in a post, it generates it, saves the numbers with the post, and replaces the "roll" tag with [rollX] where X is the number of the roll (0, 1, 2, etc). If you don't touch the marker the roll won't change. If you remove markers it will display an error below the post to notify that you rolled more than is shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew
    Spoiler: Pokemon
    Show
    Friend Code: 1805-2284-9978
    Friend Safari: Mightyena, Crawdaunt, Absol
    I have Aerodactyl, Chansey, Drilbur, Eevee, Elekid, Frillish, Heracross, Honedge, Horsea, Kabuto, Larvesta, Magnemite, Mareep, Phantump, Porygon, Roselia, Rotom, Shellder, Shuppet, Squirtle, Starly, Tynamo, Venipede, Whismur.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Incidentally, I believe the actual roll is saved even if you take the roll0 tags out. You can then re-edit them to have the rolls back in. You can create copies of a single roll by editing, for example by having three different rolls and then changing them all to be roll1. However, anyone who quotes you can immediately see you've done that, so no cheating!

Also, if you quote someone who has rolls in their post and then put rolls in your own post, it will change the rolls in the quote to be the same rolls as the ones in your own post.

If you really want to make sure nothing goes wrong and no-one's cheating, you can use the dice roller forum. I think that with the new forum update, it now is possible to roll in the first post.

That's pretty much all the funky stuff you can do. Enjoy!
    Avatar by Pessimismrocks. My homebrew.
    Ariel lends its wisdom:
    If machineguns aren't working, you need more machineguns.
    If I wanted you to use gendered pronouns for me, I'd have a gender marker. Amkii, Kayros, Legio and The Hunter shouldn't be referred to as male either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Many thanks for all the quick responses! This definitely helps me out

7. - Top - End - #7
    Loving the Smell of Bat Guano in the Morning Administrator

NecromancerGuy

Yes, as everyone has mentioned, you can edit a post with dice rolls. This is why we have the dice roller forum but still allow dice rolls in other game threads. Posts in the dice roller forum are uneditable in order to prevent cheating. It's up to you and your DM if you want to use that or post directly in the thread itself.

Another way to use the dice roller forum is to roll there first, then make your post based on the results in the game's in character thread.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Another way to use the dice roller forum is to roll there first, then make your post based on the results in the game's in character thread.
    This is what we do in the game I run. I have a separate thread for dice rolls, and the players roll there before writing up their post. This way, they can incorporate the roll's result into the post that describes their actions. As DM, I also roll in that same thread (albeit spoilered), so the players also know that I'm not fudging rolls or changing things on the fly. (I hope that they don't need to know that, but just in case, it's there.)
    Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus: Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD MEDALS
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius