New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: It's the IX Divines, you milk-drinkers

This is one of the reasons that Skyrim Redone, Perkus Maximus and ACE Combat Overhaul are so popular. The default balance is very much towards physical characters. I presume its because so much of the previous games were people complaining about magic being OP. As for archery, I figure it's the fact that you've got two different damage stats it's taking into account. Damage on the bow plus the damage on the arrow. Which means you're probably doing more damage with a bow of the same level as you are with a melee weapon. Never mind that all archery tree perks affect all bows, where melee splits into axes/maces/sword perks.

Step one: Install Deadly Dragons. It makes them much tougher, and less likely to be defeated by random bears.

Step two: Dragon Combat Overhaul. Makes the fights much longer and makes them more likely to run away and regenerate.

Step three: SkyRe. Makes everything more deadly, and makes you more likely to die. Also enhances your ability to kill things though.

Step Four: Install Achieve That. It adds more achievements that are much more creative than the vanilla ones, and gives you ingame rewards for completing them.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I just made a realization why I can't get myself to be as very excited about the game as I would like to. It's so very easy and never challenging.
    I am just level 18, got only two Dragon Shouts and only a magic bow, and even playing on a higher difficulty than normal, it's always a cakewalk. I kill dragons without a sweat, can go everywhere and do all quests. I don't understand what people say about crafting and enchanting being overpowered. Just having a bow is overpowered. I also seem to fight nothing but always the same bandits and draugrs, which can't really threaten me.

It's a very pretty world, but the gameplay seems to be actually very weak. And as far as I can tell, the two storylines are both banal. What am I actually doing in this game? Wandering the landscape and exploring always the same caves and tombs, where there is never anything actually interesting to find. I get more levels and get more rich, but it doesn't change anything. I can already defeat everything.
    Sneak Attack + Archery is OP. The game, on the whole, is not a particularly difficult game, nor is it a particularly grindy "THAT'S BULL****" style game (See Dark Souls. Man, I hate that game... and yet I love ;-;.) it's very much focused on the exploration and the questing, rather than the combat. Combat overhaul mods that make the combat much better are an option for that (I personally don't really like them; they add a lot of fake difficulty, in my opinion). But it sounds to me more like you're experiencing some Hype Backlash.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Overhaul style fake difficulty is no worse than difficulty slider fake difficulty.

Though I'm finding that SkyRe is a lot like OOO. The early levels are much harder, but once you level up a bit, the game 'levels' out some so it's not so crushingly difficult, but doesn't turn into a cakewalk either.

Even for melee, combat is: Shout, Power Attack until it recharges, Shout, repeat.

SkyRe's Stamina usage changes that. The less stamina you have, the lower your attack is. And it's not a background change. If you drain your stamina and look in your inventory, you'll see you're doing much less damage, when you're full on it.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

I thought I'd give deadly dragons a try along with deadly combat. Pretty challenging. Unfortunately they require skyUI and now I can't figure out the most basic stuff. How does one favorite a weapon? Or equip it? Or loot a chest? Or give people items? Only a third of the screen prompts seem to understand I'm using a controller. It looks great but I can't figure out how to use it.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    I thought I'd give deadly dragons a try along with deadly combat. Pretty challenging. Unfortunately they require skyUI and now I can't figure out the most basic stuff. How does one favorite a weapon? Or equip it? Or loot a chest? Or give people items? Only a third of the screen prompts seem to understand I'm using a controller. It looks great but I can't figure out how to use it.
    Thats funny, I play with a controller and everything shows the controller prompts. I'd tell you the buttons to use but I suppose that depends on what controller you are using, like to favourite something I would press Y on mine (since its 360 controller) to equip a weapon or spell, its just the trigger button (L2/R2) for the hand I want to equip to.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Thats funny, I play with a controller and everything shows the controller prompts. I'd tell you the buttons to use but I suppose that depends on what controller you are using, like to favourite something I would press Y on mine (since its 360 controller) to equip a weapon or spell, its just the trigger button (L2/R2) for the hand I want to equip to.
    Thanks. I am using Logitech controller. I'll try y for favorites. I can bring up the fav menu, but it seems to be random whether I get weapons shouts or spells.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Sky UI Away removes Sky UI but leaves the MCM intact.

No idea why it's not properly recognizing your controller. That's kind of wierd.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

I've run into a problem that is driving me nuts. Skyrim has started running like trash. I lag horribly in any battle with mages (because of the spell graphics) or when there are more than 3 enemies. Even just running around the map, the graphics are jerky.

I'm not running anything on my computer except what I need to run Skyrim.
    I've lowered my graphics settings.
    I cut back on how many mods I'm running. (Only a little. I went from 176 to 169.)
    I cleaned my save.

Does anyone have another idea ideas for how I can salvage my current playthroughs?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Does anyone have another idea ideas for how I can salvage my current playthroughs?
    Update drivers? I've had fantastic performance gains from that sometimes.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I've run into a problem that is driving me nuts. Skyrim has started running like trash. I lag horribly in any battle with mages (because of the spell graphics) or when there are more than 3 enemies. Even just running around the map, the graphics are jerky?
    Sounds like a computer problem rather than a game problem. As well as updating drivers, also worth considering: virus scan, registry cleanup, defrag drive. If your hard drive is more than about 90% full you're gonna get those kinds of issues, even if you've still got >50 gigs of space on it.

Registry cleanup is the most painless thing to try, it's free and it's fast.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm having a problem of my own, though less severe: playing Skyrim causes my browser to partly become windowed. There's a little gap of desktop showing above the window but it still says it's maximized. It's easy to undo, but irritating. Has anyone had and stopped this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I'm having a problem of my own, though less severe: playing Skyrim causes my browser to partly become windowed. There's a little gap of desktop showing above the window but it still says it's maximized. It's easy to undo, but irritating. Has anyone had and stopped this?
    Skyrim's respolution is less than your default resolution.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Skyrim's respolution is less than your default resolution.
    Thank you! Although it turned out it was actually more than my default. All better now.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Spamalot in the Playground

I found a cute little Skyrim Lockpicking animation on youtube.

One time I had a big performance drop in my play that was due to my anti-virus program updating. It apparently reset its options and so was scanning the game when it should have been in a 'game friendly' mode.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Sounds like a computer problem rather than a game problem. As well as updating drivers, also worth considering: virus scan, registry cleanup, defrag drive. If your hard drive is more than about 90% full you're gonna get those kinds of issues, even if you've still got >50 gigs of space on it.

Registry cleanup is the most painless thing to try, it's free and it's fast.
    Addendum: CCleaner is really good for this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

16. - Top - End - #766

ClericGirl

So, from the "my mindset is permanently stuck in game four" department:

The Stormcrown Interregnum was an all-out fight between every power-grubber and delusional narcissist on the continent. In the end, the fight boiled down to Titus Mede the First and Thules the Gibbering. So... I don't think a guy called "the Gibbering" could make it through the Westerosi playoffs, let alone command the residual respect he apparently did, unless he started being gibbering at some point after Nibenay was safely conquered. Like, about the time Titus Mede secured Colovia, for example.

Side note: totally see Titus Mede as a patrilineal descendant of some Hammerfell mucky-muck. If it's generically Middle Eastern, it's a Hammerfell name as far as I'm concerned.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or Thules the Gibbering is only known as such by virtue of histories being controlled by Titus Mede and his successors, who want to demonize the enemies they triumphed over.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he just had a speech impediment and was otherwise competent? Just going off the wiki page it says he wasn't liked by the people but was by the Elder Council...maybe the Council was heavily bribed? Or every OTHER contender for the throne was utterly horrible in comparison. I like 'demonized by the Mede dynasty' though.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or the Council thought they could rule more directly with him as a figurehead?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I finally have a computer capable of running Skyrim (Woo!) , and can thus finally play the game I purchased two winter sales ago. So, I have to ask, are there any mods I really ought to install? Or should I go through the first time with just the UESP? Or even vanilla in all its buggy glory?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

I went through my first Skyrim playthrough with no mods at all and found it playable, but if you want to try some mods anyway, these are all on the Steam Workshop and easy to install:

Run For Your Lives: Keeps civilian NPCs from trying to take down Dragons with their bare fists.

When Vampires Attack: Same as above, but for Dawnguard vampire attacks. (Only if you have Dawnguard installed, obviously.)

Stranger Danger – Children can be Pickpocketed and killed: Exactly what it says on the tin.

Bandolier – Bags and Pouches: No Stamina? No problem! This lets you craft extra carry space in a logical and lore-friendly way. :)

Brand-Shei Prison Fix: Fixes a shopkeeper in Riften getting arrested during a quest and NEVER GETTING OUT OF PRISON afterwards.

Be a Milk Drinker: Adds milk, tea, and various juices to the game.

Loot Fixes: Adds things like pearls in clams, leeks in barrels, goat pieces to goats—stuff you'd have expected to be there in the first place that for some reason wasn't in the base game.

Left Handed Rings: Lets your character wear a ring on BOTH hands.

These are also good, but I recommend saving them until you've played a bit:

Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips: This changes the text of the vanilla loading screens. It's very amusing, but I recommend saving this until you get tired of the vanilla screens, as the default text contains helpful information.

Reduced Distance NPC Greetings: I got really tired of the guards snarking at me every time I passed, but on your first play-through you might not have that problem. If you find you DO start having that problem, use this.

Extra Encounters – Basic: Gives you more random encounters when you're wandering around Skyrim. It's nice to have, but may be unnecessary since you haven't had time to get bored with the default encounters.

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I finally have a computer capable of running Skyrim (Woo!) , and can thus finally play the game I purchased two winter sales ago. So, I have to ask, are there any mods I really ought to install? Or should I go through the first time with just the UESP? Or even vanilla in all its buggy glory?
    Get the unnofficial patches at least :p

There are some nice graphics mods, even a few really pretty up the world without hurting performance much. Probably not a good idea to install any mods that add/change quests and such if it's the first playthrough, but a few quality of life mods are handy, like the bandoliers and the mods that make people hide from dragons/vampires.

Some armor/body/character appearance mods can be good too if you care about how your character and the NPCs around you look (I do, its a terrible addiction for me)

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    must haves:
    SKSE
    SKYUI - even though some people dislike it then just get SKYUI away but it's a basis for a lot of mods to work properly.
    Unoficial patches fix a lot of problems that used to require a dozen of mods to solve so it'S a good bet to just use those anyway.

I'd say go vanilla as much as possible for the beginning just these are quite usefull to remove the most annoying things:
    Convenient Horses - make horses well convenient, like loot without un-mounting, talk from horse back..
    Blacksmith storage chests - makes it so you can buy or get a chest near the main forges that even auto sorts the dozens of animal pelts in the chest.
    Localized Thieves guild Jobs You can install that once you get fed up with the way the thieves guild radiant quest system works I consider it a must have if you have dragonborn DLC or mods like Falskaar.
    Crimson nirnroot questmarkers it's convenient nothing more.
    Stones of Barenziah Questmarkers Otherwise you'll go insane once you have only one missing and the others are cluttering your inventory.
    More HUD does what is says. can be configured to ones liking.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

If you're playing through the thieves guild, Owning Goldenglow Estate is absolutely awesome. Automatic doors for the win.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh... honestly I never have, and I likely never WILL touch the unnofficial patches with a ten foot pole.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Fair warning, the unofficial patches made some changes to the gameplay that weren't strictly bugs. Simply things that the creator thought would work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nilehus View Post
    Fair warning, the unofficial patches made some changes to the gameplay that weren't strictly bugs. Simply things that the creator thought would work better.
    This exactly. Add to that the fact of every iteration of UKSP breaking something else and "fixing" things that weren't broken or fixing the thing that is only broken because UKSP broke it in a previous version. Version 2.0.2 and the auto-crash to desktop every time you tried to go into Labyrinthian without using the console—which you had to do if you wanted to finish the associated quest.

That said, I still use the USKP stuff, but mostly only because some mods I have I think have flagged the UKSP as mandatory or they'll cause trouble on trying to load the game.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

I eventually just gave up on updating the stupid things and stuck with versions that had bugs I could live with. Between that and SkyRe not unloading scripts properly, it was enough to make me stop playing for a while.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    This exactly. Add to that the fact of every iteration of UKSP breaking something else and "fixing" things that weren't broken or fixing the thing that is only broken because UKSP broke it in a previous version. Version 2.0.2 and the auto-crash to desktop every time you tried to go into Labyrinthian without using the console—which you had to do if you wanted to finish the associated quest.

That said, I still use the USKP stuff, but mostly only because some mods I have I think have flagged the UKSP as mandatory or they'll cause trouble on trying to load the game.
    2.0.2 was live for, like, three days before they patched that. Stop listing a bug as a major reason to not use it :P

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    If you're playing through the thieves guild, Owning Goldenglow Estate is absolutely awesome. Automatic doors for the win.
    Another house?
    Don't I already have 6 of those? Why would I need another?
    ;D

How is the helgen reborn mod. I'm thinking of downloading it.