New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: It's the IX Divines, you milk-drinkers

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "later on", but this is just weird. With the investment of a few perks, Illusion scales really powerfully.

Kindred Mage: illusion spell affects humanoids +10 levels higher.
    Hypnotic Gaze, Aspect of Terror, Rage: add +8 to +12 to level limits, cumulative with Kindred Mage.

So if you take your base Fury spell, buff it with those two perks, it'll affect anyone up to level 28.

Then factor in dual-casting, which amplifies the limit by a factor of 2.2, after the increases. A dual-cast Fury spell - Novice-level spell, remember - with those perks, affects anyone up to level 61. That means, if you take 'Master of the Mind', it'll affect dragon priests, dwemer centurions... in fact just about anything not individually named, and the huge majority of characters that are.

Frenzy? with the above buffs, affects up to level 79. That's only two short of the level cap.

Quaff a (dirt-cheap) potion, and you can affect absolutely ANYTHING in the game, unless it's individually scripted so as to prevent it.

And then there's Muffle and Invisibility, both of which are pretty useful and not dependent on anyone's level at all.

Edit: as to the morality of Frenzy, I would absolutely defend casting it. On the battlefield? It's just one more way of killing your enemies, I don't see how it's any less humane than burning them with fire, and it's much cheaper to your own side. And they - your own side, I mean - are the ones you, arguably at least, have some sort of moral responsibility towards.
    Yes, that works out if I'd leveled illusion first. Except I'm now almost level 80. All the opponents are capped out and very few of them are low level enough to affect with illusion without perks. And perks are so hard to come by now! Sounds way fun if I'd focused in it at first, but I sadly didn't.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I disagree for one reason. You can get locked out of the blacksmith's house. You can't get locked out of the other house.

(As for the blacksmithing supplies, just steal them. If you turn around and use them, you aren't even carrying stolen goods.)
    How do you get locked out?
    Also, not everybody plays a character that is comfortable stealing from "good" people.

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    It's all a bit circumstance-dependent, of course. Except for Frenzy. There is no way to cast Frenzy that puts you on the side of the angels.
    Soverngarde has angels?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2014-09-18 at 12:55 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'd have to agree that illusion needs to be used early and often to be fun. I'd beaten the main quest with my first character, then did the thieves' guild stuff, and was working through the mage quests, and illusion lagged way behind. Too low a skill level to get any of the good spellbooks to spawn in merchant inventory, and too weak to affect anything at the level I was playing (legendary, was character level 100+ before I started playing with magic at all.) Looking back, grinding smithing, alchemy, and speech for extra perks (and failing to invest any of them in the illusion school) before doing anything with illusion was a really bad way to go at things.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

So,

My build will be:
    Female Nord, War Hammer (because for some reason women with heavy weaponry is hot! ) focus, heavy armor, and Conjuration. Will pick up Muffle on the way as well.

Basically this is a character build I have never played before.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    The higher base Armor Rating at low levels makes it stronger, imo. At the very least, without perk investment, Heavy Armor is going to have anywhere between 20 to 40 points higher at any given time.
    With 100 skill, no perk investment and no smithing the difference between daedric and dragonscale is around 5% of damage reduction. With other armors/lower skill it can be even smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

At later points in the game you can -easily- cap Armor with everything that has a blacksmithing perk. When you are looking at late game (as early as level 20) figures, armor is irrelevant, because you are hitting the armor cap. Period.

Dismissing the fact that heavy armor is better at each tier by a not-insignificant margin is a disservice to optimization.

Early game, your choice of armor (Light, Heavy, Cloth with Alteration Spells, whatever) is important. By mid to late game, it's irrelevant.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

At later points in the game you can -easily- cap Armor with everything that has a blacksmithing perk. When you are looking at late game (as early as level 20) figures, armor is irrelevant, because you are hitting the armor cap. Period.
    The good thing about this is that you don't have to wear the hideous armors, like dragonbone or daedra, and can wear the cool looking ones like Ancient Nord or Carved Nord, or plain Plated Steel which also looks very very good.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Steel Plate is actually the lowest tier armor you can get that hits the armor cap without "exploits"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

The earliest I can start Dawnguard is lvl 10, right? I want Serana ASAP, since she is by far the best follower. (I will marry Aela, though! )

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

@ the page 1 discussion: Put me in the camp that wanted MP elder scrolls but did NOT want a bloody MMO. Give me some nice drop-in Fable/Borderlands-style multiplayer. There was so much potential here for farting around, especially if you let the host decide which mods were allowed.

I could just imagine playing through with someone with some of those survival mods that force you to eat, drink and keep warm. Foraging through the wilderness with a buddy, or being the hunter protecting a very un-wilderness-savvy mage. It would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Yeah - while a lot of people wanted multiplayer in their ES games, most of them wanted something that would allow them to have the full singleplayer experience with a friend or two, not having to deal with a bunch of idiots running around (which was expected years before ESO got announced ;) )
    Level 153 Bosmer Assassin... I am crying

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    It's the revenue thing. NWN ran through Gamespy Arcade, which means no constant revenue stream.
    I never got this argument. Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 ran the servers with no constant revenue stream either, and they even keep adding new content to the bloody things for free. Now admittedly, Blizzard has more money than most game studios ever even see, but Bethesda is a AAA developer too. Plus, both franchises struck gold on console as well as PC, and some of those PSNP or XBLG fees go towards server upkeep.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    The earliest I can start Dawnguard is lvl 10, right? I want Serana ASAP, since she is by far the best follower. (I will marry Aela, though! )
    You could try the mod: "Timing is Everything" Should be able to decrease the level requirement. Never tried it though, I usually set dawnguard to not start before 50+.

Now why aren't there any decent good looking male armors on the nexus, way too much female stuff on there... Damn Inigo needs a new suit after his upgrade.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    You could try the mod: "Timing is Everything" Should be able to decrease the level requirement. Never tried it though, I usually set dawnguard to not start before 50+.

Now why aren't there any decent good looking male armors on the nexus, way too much female stuff on there... Damn Inigo needs a new suit after his upgrade.
    I figure I only go as far as I need to get her (aka until it's time to find the Elder Scrolls) and then just do stuff for a while.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Shock:
    If you take perks into consideration, Shock's Disintegrate perk makes it an even better element because it can kill your target faster.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

It is the earliest Durak will meet you, but can't you go directly to Fort Dawnguard even at level 1?

The specialization perks for swords and axes use a weapon's base damage in their calculations, ignoring any upgrades and perks that increase their damage. As a result, the do a lot less damage than they look like they should. Warhammers and maces, on the other hand, reduce enemy armor rather than increase your damage, nicely avoiding this crippling quirk of calculation and being useful perks. If you like warhammers or maces, of course.
    I'd skip all of those - the increase in damage for all three will generally be minimal (for swords and axes for the reason you mentioned, for blunts because there are very few enemies with an armor class high enough for the difference to be noticeable).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Level 10 is when things start cropping up to pull you into Dawnguard, but there is no actual minimum level as long as you go find Fort Dawnguard yourself. It's very possible to get Serana while at level 1. I usually do so, in fact, as Serana is my preferred partner. Stealth, ranged and melee, a good voice, and a good reason for their friendship? Sign me up. There are a couple working mods to make her marriable, but I almost find it works better without them: I can easily envision both Serana and the Dragonborn wishing for a romantic relationship, with Serana's guilt and self-loathing always getting in the way.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you get locked out?
    Go to his house after dark. It's locked, and you don't have the key. If I pick the lock and go in, the blacksmith and his family try to throw me out. (Happened to me a few times. I was on the 360 at the time, so it wasn't an issue with a mod.) Since I only use the houses in Riverwood for storage, not being able to get in causes a problem.

Also, not everybody plays a character that is comfortable stealing from "good" people.
    OK, that is an issue.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Go to his house after dark. It's locked, and you don't have the key. If I pick the lock and go in, the blacksmith and his family try to throw me out. (Happened to me a few times. I was on the 360 at the time, so it wasn't an issue with a mod.) Since I only use the houses in Riverwood for storage, not being able to get in causes a problem. .
    Well I just go and sit down in the store and wait for 8 hours...

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't his house have... nothing of value in it?

EDIT: was gonna talk about level 1 dawnguard shenanigans, but then things happened.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2014-09-18 at 03:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't his house have... nothing of value in it?

EDIT: was gonna talk about level 1 dawnguard shenanigans, but then things happened.
    Oh I meant just waiting until the SMith unlocks his house.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Yes, that works out if I'd leveled illusion first. Except I'm now almost level 80. All the opponents are capped out and very few of them are low level enough to affect with illusion without perks. And perks are so hard to come by now! Sounds way fun if I'd focused in it at first, but I sadly didn't.
    You should at least have 'Muffle', I generally find two or three tomes of that by the time I'm half that level. Repeatedly casting that will level illusion pretty fast, even if there's no in-game reason to cast it.

Once your skill gets up to 60 or so, you should be able to buy Invisibility.

Another way to practise is to use Calm spells on civilians - the area-effect version, cast on a crowd, also levels illusion very quickly, and has no bad effects. (Careful with the 'Courage' spells - those can, in some cases, cause otherwise-peaceful people to turn violent.)

As for perks - I recommend cheating the mod "Trade Dragon Souls for Perks".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I think Gerd will have black hair. Except for Maven, how many Nords have black hair in Skyrim? I can't recall any.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

The only other one I know is the chatty guard from Dragon Rising. But he's usually wearing a helmet, so it's hidden.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think Gerd will have black hair. Except for Maven, how many Nords have black hair in Skyrim? I can't recall any.
    Serana does I believe.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Serana... yes, forgot about her (or rather forgot that she was a Nord, I guess).

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

There's Ingun, but she's a relative of Maven's.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

I usually do so, in fact, as Serana is my preferred partner. Stealth, ranged and melee, a good voice, and a good reason for their friendship? Sign me up.
    Wait, what? A good reason for their friendship? If you go vampire side I could see it, but if you go Dawnguard side there's pretty much no reason at all for any friendship. By the end I can sort of see it, but (outside of alignment) there's no logical reason for the Dhovakiin to not leave Serana dead in Dimhollow and take the scroll back to Isran herself. Or if you decide you don't want to murder "innocent" vampires, I've yet to see any reason why you shouldn't let Isran deal with her at Ft. Dawnguard. The trip into the soul cairn is the only part of the DG quest chain would break, and I'm sure there would be some way to incorporate that w/o Serana if Bethesda had really wanted to. (And that would also avoid being forcibly saddled for hours of the game with someone who complains about the weather regardless of what it is and insists on zombifying nearly everything)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

I personally do not believe in killing vampires who were vampire-ified against their will.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground

I personally do not believe in killing vampires who were vampire-ified against their will.
    If you're playing a good Dovakiin I can agree with that. But, its still mostly irrelevant to what I said. You don't found out about that until roughly around the point of the Soul Cairn (that's when Valerica talks about the daughters of coldharbour at least, it might be possible to get Serana to bring it up a little earlier). And, for all the "against her will" aspects of it, Serana sure doesn't mind being a vampire, as evidenced by the fact that she refuses to even discuss the possibility of a cure if you take one single dialogue misstep.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    but (outside of alignment) there's no logical reason for the Dhovakiin to not leave Serana dead in Dimhollow and take the scroll back to Isran herself. Or if you decide you don't want to murder "innocent" vampires, I've yet to see any reason why you shouldn't let Isran deal with her at Ft. Dawnguard.
    ^This. It annoys me so much every time I play the Dawnguard quest.

The trip into the soul cairn is the only part of the DG quest chain would break, and I'm sure there would be some way to incorporate that w/o Serana if Bethesda had really wanted to.
    The simplest way to get past the 'must be a relative of Valerica to enter' part would be to take blood from Serana's corpse. Or, did anyone say it has to be an immediate relative's blood? Have a sidequest wherein Isran has you hunt down a book of Valerica's family tree and find a many-times-great-grand child of a niece of hers or something. Then persuade that person to give you some of their blood via Speech check/quest.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wait, what? A good reason for their friendship? If you go vampire side I could see it, but if you go Dawnguard side there's pretty much no reason at all for any friendship. By the end I can sort of see it, but (outside of alignment) there's no logical reason for the Dhovakiin to not leave Serana dead in Dimhollow and take the scroll back to Isran herself. Or if you decide you don't want to murder "innocent" vampires, I've yet to see any reason why you shouldn't let Isran deal with her at Ft. Dawnguard. The trip into the soul cairn is the only part of the DG quest chain would break, and I'm sure there would be some way to incorporate that w/o Serana if Bethesda had really wanted to. (And that would also avoid being forcibly saddled for hours of the game with someone who complains about the weather regardless of what it is and insists on zombifying nearly everything)
    I only ever go the Dawnguard route. Vampire culture disgusts me, can't even stomach the Dark Brotherhood. Serana, however, is a different case. Your relationship with her evolves over an extended period of time and frankly is the strongest relationship in the game.

Spoiler: Dawnguard Spoilers
    Show
    When you first meet her, you're not certain what to make of her. She sure doesn't look like any vampire you've seen in the game before (even the recently fed ones are strikingly deformed). She doesn't attack you on sight, and she warns you that there are bigger dangers than her. She does nothing at all hostile against you, never threatening you at all. Even if you go straight to the Dawnguard, she doesn't leave in a huff or accuse you of treachery, she just hangs back while you discuss the situation with her superiors. If you treat her humanely, she is clearly grateful.

You take her home and flip her father the bird and that should be the end of it, right? No, when she assesses the situation she hunts you down again as the only person in the world she trusts enough to help her solve her mystery. You can't do it without her and she can't do it without you, and both of you need to see it done. You then go through a lengthy quest together where situations push her to expose far more of herself than she'd probably like. She introduces you to her mother and surprises everybody present (herself included) with the realization that you've done more for her in the short time you've been together than Valerica ever has. To her personal devastation, she admits that the one thing she wants above all - her family back - is the something she'll never get and quite possibly something she doesn't deserve.

Then you help her track down and sort out the source of the prophecy that destroyed her life and find out it's all a scam - a petty attempt at revenge by a priest whose god turned away from him when he turned (against his will) into a vampire. Then you go one step further. You end the against both Serana personally and the province of Skyrim in general - her father. You rally the Dawnguard, you storm the gates of home she'll never know as hers again, and you chase her father down to his sanctum and use the very weapon he's seeking to put him down once and for all. And what does Serana get for this? Acceptance. Acceptance from the Dawnguard itself. The very people that should hate her on principle have come to accept that she's more than a pair of fangs. And as for you? Well, she considers you her most treasured friend. She'll even abandon her vampirism for you, something she paid dearly to attain (Molag Bal doesn't get his title for nothing) whether it was her choice or not. When approached romantically (with an amulet of Mara) she at first says she's just not comfortable with shrines and religious places, but if pressed on the matter she admits she would like to but she believes she doesn't deserve that kind of happiness. And that guilt is the one thing you can't help her slay.

Compare that with the other allies you can get:
    Lydia: You're my boss, as decreed by my Jarl.
    Aela: Of course I'll marry you, you're the alpha wolf now.
    Faendal: You removed my primary rival in courting this girl I like. You may have then stolen her for yourself, of course... Eh, I'll follow you into certain death anyway.
    Cicero: The dear sweet mother says your the boss now, so of course I'll follow you.
    Erik the Slayer: You talked my father into letting me become a mercenary, so I'll let you hire me.
    Mjoll: You recovered the sword I lost, rekindling my desire for adventure, so sure, I'll do a complete 180 on my beliefs and follow you out there.

Everybody else you ally with in the game do so for one of two reasons: A) You did them a favor (usually a pretty petty one) or B) You outrank them. Very few of them have any meaningful reason at all for their connection to you, and even the ones that do don't earn it the way Serana does. The closest I can think of to people who can really have good, meaningful relationships to the Dragonborn are Idgrod Ravencrone and Balgruuf the Greater. Both of these Jarls take the deeds you do for them to heart and can put themselves at risk on one occasion or another at your request. Idgrod distracts the staff of the Thalmor Embassy for you (which is certain to bite her in the rear and she's smart enough to know that and do it anyway), while Balgruuf takes (what is probably) a complete unknown, brings you into his inner circle, and takes several risks on you well before you really prove yourself. (Which makes your potential betrayal sting all the more.)

So, yeah, I meant what I said. A good reason for their friendship. The most meaningful relationship in the game: born by accident, forged by necessity, and tempered by more give and take than is found anywhere else in the game. I won't play the game without her anymore. She's the only person in the game that seems to think of you as a person and not some blank-faced demigod, ironically just as you are the only person who can see her for more than a vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    ^This. It annoys me so much every time I play the Dawnguard quest.
    There is a reason, actually - Serana says herself that there are bigger threats in play than her, and working with her will help you fight them. You don't have to believe her, but there is absolutely a logical reason to let it play out and see where it leads, whether it's one you personally agree with or not. Even Isran (if you go talk to him before taking her home) says the chance of rooting out a hidden agenda (especially given the recent resurgence of organized vampires) is too important to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    The simplest way to get past the 'must be a relative of Valerica to enter' part would be to take blood from Serana's corpse. Or, did anyone say it has to be an immediate relative's blood? Have a sidequest wherein Isran has you hunt down a book of Valerica's family tree and find a many-times-great-grand child of a niece of hers or something. Then persuade that person to give you some of their blood via Speech check/quest.
    The Ideal Masters couldn't get through her defenses. The Ideal Masters. The only thing they could do was put up a barrier to seal her away and put an indentured dragon in charge of protecting it. Now, perhaps you could get through her defenses - you are the Dragonborn and that pretty much defines you as a massive Mary Sue - but I still think it wouldn't be a guarantee, especially after she discovers that you not only gutted a girl who did nothing to harm you but then bled her dry and carried around a vial of her blood for no reason at all.

Without Serana there is no Dawnguard quest line. You would have never found out about castle Volkihar (the Dawnguard didn't know of it*), you'd have never gotten into meet the madman in chief, you would have never learned about Valerica or her garden or the clearly non-traditional research she used to get into the Soul Cairn, you would have never gotten Valerica's Elder Scroll, and to cap it off, you would have never discovered there was a reason to do any of this in the first place - an Elder Scroll doesn't give you what you need to know, there's far too much in any one of them, you have to know what you're looking for before you turn to it.

* Which actually makes sense, if you think about it. The Vigilants of Stendarr are a reactionary force. Very few of them are proactive enough to even consider using research to look for trouble, they just go out and wander until they find something to kill, kill it, then go wandering for something else to kill. And the original Dawnguard, despite its reputation, had no interest in looking for vampires, it was only concerned with the one it was trying to secure. Isran has no intel either from the Vigilants or the fortress records that would tell him about Castle Volkihar. The only lead he has is Dimhollow, and Serana is the only source of information you find there. Killing her pretty much ends the Tyranny of the Sun prophecy before you even learn about it, at least until Harkon gets creative about things (and creativity does not come easily to that guy), but it doesn't remove Harkon from the game.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-09-20 at 08:18 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.