New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Hearts IC: Making Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    So you run around the corner and smack bang right into the big fat gut of Hugh Booth, plus his hangers on. He grabs you and shoves you to the floor hard.

"Oh that's it new kid," said Hugh, rolling up his sleeves, "it's time for your student orientation beating. I had a feeling you were a nerd."

Behind Hugh he could just see the vanishing flicker of that monster as its tail raced behind the raised plywood.
    Sean coughed as he found himself on the floor.

"I did have a feeling I'd forgotten something," he replied, then looked up at the guys who'd ambushed him. Three. Alright. At least some things were universal, it seemed.

He reached back over his shoulder to grab Hugh and throw him down over his head, crashing him head first down on the floor and against the wall before getting back up.

[Rolling to Lash Out Physically: 2d6+1=8 Let them deal 1 free harm if they wish]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris was, for once, speechless. It was up for debate whether she had the capacity to actually care about a human being, but be that as it may Claire was... had been hers. She'd never had something taken from her, snap, just like that. No quick avenue for payback, no plans being furthered or schemes in motion. Just pure, unadulterated loss. Her hands covered her mouth in a very practiced display of horror, but her acting did nothing to hide the glint of the single tear that escaped her left eye. Maybe Leon was too busy dusting himself off or thinking himself a bereaved mastermind, but if he looked, he'd certainly have caught Iris looking for those scant few seconds exactly the way a teenage girl should when she'd just seen her secret girlfriend hauled off into the darkness by a monster.

She didn't move, not when signaled for ("the f--k is this?") and not for anything else for a solid moment. But when she did take off she was sprinting, and not to be stopped for trifles like a fight between Sean and the bloated ugly twerps that went around shaking kids down for lunch money to make up for having tiny d---s or any other obstacle that was going to get in her way. She had to see it. She had to know.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

So Cassidy arrives on the scene first. She sees Clare there with a huge, bloody wolf bite on her shoulder down to her breast. Blood was everywhere. She was struggling for breath, paralysed in shock.

And then Iris and Leon come around the corner and see Cassidy there, standing over Clare's body, looking crazy angry.

What does everybody do?

Meanwhile, Sean had just - in a superhuman display of strength - just lifted the legendary fat-ass Hugh Booth off his feat, over his head, and tossed him down on his ass in front of him. But as he was tossing the guy, a flailing fist hit Sean in the side of the head and a sick wave of nausea passed through him. Even a glancing blow from a cursed opponent is dangerous - and a lesser person would have been knocked to their knees. Take the 1 harm.

Have you been hit by a demon before? Enough to know what it feels like?

Hugh is on the ground, stunned, in pain, but you can see once the thoughts get through the fat-clogged arteries and into his brain he's gonna come out angry and hateful. His goons are going in to lift him up. You got the initiative on this situation, though - what do you do?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

"Cass, you..."

There's a time for talking, and carefully investigating a situation to gather all the evidence. But this was not that time. Leon was already in motion by the time his brain started to process words, stabbing King Arthur's signature pen at Cassie's exposed neck.
    [tolling to lash out, of course. (2d6-1)[5]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #785

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "Cass, you..."

There's a time for talking, and carefully investigating a situation to gather all the evidence. But this was not that time. Leon was already in motion by the time his brain started to process words, stabbing King Arthur's signature pen at Cassie's exposed neck.
    [tolling to lash out, of course. [5]
    Cassidy, either that pen is going into your neck (1 harm) or you can let your supernatural instincts retaliate with unnecessarily brutal force (2 harm). Your choice!

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Meanwhile, Sean had just - in a superhuman display of strength - just lifted the legendary fat-ass Hugh Booth off his feat, over his head, and tossed him down on his ass in front of him. But as he was tossing the guy, a flailing fist hit Sean in the side of the head and a sick wave of nausea passed through him. Even a glancing blow from a cursed opponent is dangerous - and a lesser person would have been knocked to their knees. Take the 1 harm.

Have you been hit by a demon before? Enough to know what it feels like?

Hugh is on the ground, stunned, in pain, but you can see once the thoughts get through the fat-clogged arteries and into his brain he's gonna come out angry and hateful. His goons are going in to lift him up. You got the initiative on this situation, though - what do you do?
    I know what it feels like for me, even though I haven't had a lot of run ins with demons I have traded punches enough to recognise that shock of heat that sizzles my nerves and the foul taste it leaves in my mouth.

Sean's eyes snap to when his senses tune in to the presence of a demon. Now, now, that changes things. There are a few steps between them and Sean take them at running speed to gather momentum then spin a roundhouse kick to land right in Hugh's face.

What is Sean doing? Beating this guy to a pulp, is what.

[Rolling to lash out physically: 2d6+1=9 Take a string]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

So Cassidy arrives on the scene first. She sees Clare there with a huge, bloody wolf bite on her shoulder down to her breast. Blood was everywhere. She was struggling for breath, paralysed in shock.

What does everybody do?
    Crap. Sh*t. F*ck.

It's different when it's not your mess. When it's not somebody who deserves it. Cassidy cupped her hands over her mouth in shock. Sh*t. No. Not Clare. She was one of the good ones. Too good for this dump of a school. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Bloodholes were bad. She knew that much. Didn't know much else. First aid wasn't your strong suit when you healed so fast because of the stupid f*cking wolf probably laughing up a storm at her right now yeah well screw you buddy. She could do this. She could save Clare. With thinking. Smart thinking.

Exhibit nearby. "Baseball Through the Ages," George Washington pitching a fastball to Abe Lincoln or something. Stupid, right? But those clothes, though. She could tear those off. Wrap them around Clare or something, that would stop the blood. Yes. Good plan.

"Cass, you..."

[tolling to lash out, of course. [roll0]
    Cassidy, either that pen is going into your neck (1 harm) or you can let your supernatural instincts retaliate with unnecessarily brutal force (2 harm). Your choice!
    Or at least, that would have been the plan, if some idiot hadn't tried to stab her in the neck with a pen.

Before Leon could even reach her, before Cassidy could even think, her claws were out and tearing into the boy's chest. One, two, three and down he went, clothes shredded and stained.

Her mind caught up, and her face twisted in anger. "Sh*t!" she swore loudly.

[Leon gets 2 Harm, and Cassidy gets a String on Leon.]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2015-10-19 at 08:03 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

"It was you, you're the wolf" Leon spat out before he collapsed. There was a stain spreading along his shirt, and he looked pale as a sheet.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    I know what it feels like for me, even though I haven't had a lot of run ins with demons I have traded punches enough to recognise that shock of heat that sizzles my nerves and the foul taste it leaves in my mouth.

Sean's eyes snap to when his senses tune in to the presence of a demon. Now, now, that changes things. There are a few steps between them and Sean take them at running speed to gather momentum then spin a roundhouse kick to land right in Hugh's face.

What is Sean doing? Beating this guy to a pulp, is what.

[Rolling to lash out physically: 2d6+1=9 Take a string]
    Holy crap, you just wreck this poor bastard. He's down, whimpering, nose broken sending blood everywhere, maybe concussed and his friends are staring at you like 'what just happened'. He's taking a trip to hospital for sure, but for now he's just staring and pointing at you with fear in his eyes.

He's immediately spending that string to apply the condition 'Psychopath'.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Or at least, that would have been the plan, if some idiot hadn't tried to stab her in the neck with a pen.

Before Leon could even reach her, before Cassidy could even think, her claws were out and tearing into the boy's chest. One, two, three and down he went, clothes shredded and stained.

Her mind caught up, and her face twisted in anger. "Sh*t!" she swore loudly.

[Leon gets 2 Harm, and Cassidy gets a String on Leon.]
    The Wolf felt good about that. It didn't know why you'd put up with Leon's crap for so long, so to it this felt like righting the scales.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap, you just wreck this poor bastard. He's down, whimpering, nose broken sending blood everywhere, maybe concussed and his friends are staring at you like 'what just happened'. He's taking a trip to hospital for sure, but for now he's just staring and pointing at you with fear in his eyes.

He's immediately spending that string to apply the condition 'Psychopath'.
    Sean straightened his back and neck a little, still feeling the ache from having been tackled to the floor. He dusted himself off a bit, contemplating finishing this guy off completely but something in the eyes of this loser kept him from coming at him yet again.

Had he been wrong? He'd been so sure, but... it wasn't like he was some kind of expert. Hell.

The fingers on his right hand began to twitch, unsure whether to form a fist and punch or to move in apology. After a few indecisive moments Sean just turned and ran off, trying to find the girl that disappeared.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

The smartphone: first and best weapon of any teenager worth her salt. Iris wasn't the type to completely lose her cool, not in any situation, but she was also hit harder by the scene in front of her than anyone else in the room. Help. Retaliation. Help. Retaliation. Her mind flicked rapidly between her options without bringing her any nearer to an answer. She knew what she thought she saw, and she knew what she did see, which only really seemed to confirm what she thought, and she knew that Leon was babbling about wolves which made absolutely no sense while still feeling somehow more right than most mortals' blood spattered ramblings tended to be. Er, one would imagine. It had all of the right trappings, a sense of vague familiarity that brought her back to a night in the mall and a playful scrap turned bloody when a massive wolf had stormed out of nowhere and torn her chest open. Deja vu. But in any case there were no wolves here and Iris was not the type to stab wildly at people's necks with pens.

Snap. Snap-snap. She had pictures of everything in the room in an instant. Normally she'd save these as blackmail material, but normally Iris Rosenberg was in complete control of the situation, and that's not how she felt right now. Snap snap. Cassidy was running... somewhere. Iris didn't follow. She stayed kneeling at Claire's side, uselessly stroking her hair and whispering nothings that wouldn't be heard by the one who needed them. Her thumb flicked over her phone completely on its own. It hit three numbers, and started a call.

"Hello? Hello?! I need to... oh my god there's blood everywhere! Th-there's been an attack. Yes. No. Yes I saw. Two students. I don't... I don't know what... oh my god, help. The old wax museum on... yes, yes. Ok..."

12. - Top - End - #792

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Sean straightened his back and neck a little, still feeling the ache from having been tackled to the floor. He dusted himself off a bit, contemplating finishing this guy off completely but something in the eyes of this loser kept him from coming at him yet again.

Had he been wrong? He'd been so sure, but... it wasn't like he was some kind of expert. Hell.

The fingers on his right hand began to twitch, unsure whether to form a fist and punch or to move in apology. After a few indecisive moments Sean just turned and ran off, trying to find the girl that disappeared.
    Sean comes around a corner and sees Iris, and Cassidy with bloody hands standing over two bloody bodies. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    The smartphone: first and best weapon of any teenager worth her salt. Iris wasn't the type to completely lose her cool, not in any situation, but she was also hit harder by the scene in front of her than anyone else in the room. Help. Retaliation. Help. Retaliation. Her mind flicked rapidly between her options without bringing her any nearer to an answer. She knew what she thought she saw, and she knew what she did see, which only really seemed to confirm what she thought, and she knew that Leon was babbling about wolves which made absolutely no sense while still feeling somehow more right than most mortals' blood spattered ramblings tended to be. Er, one would imagine. It had all of the right trappings, a sense of vague familiarity that brought her back to a night in the mall and a playful scrap turned bloody when a massive wolf had stormed out of nowhere and torn her chest open. Deja vu. But in any case there were no wolves here and Iris was not the type to stab wildly at people's necks with pens.

Snap. Snap-snap. She had pictures of everything in the room in an instant. Normally she'd save these as blackmail material, but normally Iris Rosenberg was in complete control of the situation, and that's not how she felt right now. Snap snap. Cassidy was running... somewhere. Iris didn't follow. She stayed kneeling at Claire's side, uselessly stroking her hair and whispering nothings that wouldn't be heard by the one who needed them. Her thumb flicked over her phone completely on its own. It hit three numbers, and started a call.

"Hello? Hello?! I need to... oh my god there's blood everywhere! Th-there's been an attack. Yes. No. Yes I saw. Two students. I don't... I don't know what... oh my god, help. The old wax museum on... yes, yes. Ok..."
    "An ambulance is on its way," said the operator. "Do you have any medical training, or can you see a first aid kit? Can you describe what you're looking at in as much detail as possible please?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-11-03 at 06:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

"An ambulance is on its way," said the operator. "Do you have any medical training, or can you see a first aid kit? Can you describe what you're looking at in as much detail as possible please?"
    Leon was still conscious, just big huge bloody slashes in his stomach. And they were slashes, like huge claw marks, even though Iris had seen human Cassidy hit him with her fist. "You're gonna get her, right Iris? You're not going to just let that psycho get away with all this. Tell me you're gonna make her pay."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #794

Leon was still conscious, just big huge bloody slashes in his stomach. And they were slashes, like huge claw marks, even though Iris had seen human Cassidy hit him with her fist. "You're gonna get her, right Iris? You're not going to just let that psycho get away with all this. Tell me you're gonna make her pay."
    That's pretty directly emotionally manipulative. Want to offer to spend a String for XP?

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

That's pretty directly emotionally manipulative. Want to offer to spend a String for XP?
    Sure, consider it done.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

"It was you, you're the wolf" Leon spat out before he collapsed. There was a stain spreading along his shirt, and he looked pale as a sheet.
    The Wolf felt good about that. It didn't know why you'd put up with Leon's crap for so long, so to it this felt like righting the scales.
    No, f*ck! No! Why?! Leon had finally gotten his. He tried to jump her like a crazy person, and karma nabbed the bastard. Of course she should enjoy it. Screw that, this should be a f*cking national holiday. Spread the word! The idiot finally got what was coming to him! There's still justice in the world!

But the wolf. The f*cking wolf though. She could feel it just lapping this sh*t up. She didn't even mean to, but her eyes fell on Leon's jugular, throbbing just below the skin. So close, so fragile, it would hardly need a cut. Drag a claw across, and then...

"Shut up!" She barked at the dog on the ground and the dog in her heart. She ran for the baseball exhibit, and in two swipes she'd relieved the founding fathers of their crappy baseball uniforms. And while she was at it, she grabbed the shiny metal bat out of Abe Lincoln's hands.

All the better to beat a wolf's face in, my dear.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean comes around a corner and sees Iris, and Cassidy with bloody hands standing over two bloody bodies. What do you do?
    Sean came to as abrupt a halt as he could when faced with the scene before him. His fists were clenched hard, fresh from a won fight and swimming in adrenaline he was more than ready to launch himself in to another. He blinked as the assumptions of what had happened and was happening fell in to place but while still mid-thought-

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Shut up!" She barked at the dog on the ground and the dog in her heart. She ran for the baseball exhibit, and in two swipes she'd relieved the founding fathers of their crappy baseball uniforms. And while she was at it, she grabbed the shiny metal bat out of Abe Lincoln's hands.

All the better to beat a wolf's face in, my dear.
    He did not need a lot to take off in hunt for another fight, so Cassidy was not many steps ahead when he ran after her. When he saw her arming herself with a bat he ran even faster, pausing only to snag one for himself.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol