New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Path of War now out! What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Regarding variety in ranged combat:

I believe that this can be fixed without the application of a new Discipline. I don't have the PDF or book just yet, but what about a feat/archetype/PrC/trait/enchantment/etc that specifically overrides the weapon limitations, allowing a ranged combatant to utilize disciplines otherwise limited to Melee at, say, half of their first range increment? The furthest I can think of that this will get to is about 150-ish feet.

This is just a rough idea, I can see it being more limited than that once I give the entire thing a more thorough read, but you get the drift.
    Too many maneuvers have too many specific systems that would make a feat such as this highly difficult to make appropriate. A handwave yes you can Iron Tortoise or Primal Fury with a bow, or Thrashing Dragon with a crossbow? Just kind of weird and hard to balance. Keep the disciplines where they are, they're designed in such a way to as to be a comprehensive martial art. You can't use Kung Fu with a machine gun, but you could design a martial art around using a gun (see Equilibrium). See?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    So, in PoW2, there'll be three classes: harbinger, zealot, and mystic, and 6-9 new disciplines. I've lost what notes I had on harbinger, but here's some disciplines:

Spoiler
    Show
    Discipline Classes Weapons Skill Tradition
    Eternal Guardian Zealot hammers, heavy blades, polearms Intimidate
    Sleeping Goddess Zealot flails, heavy blades, monk, spears Autohypnosis
    Mithral Current Warder*, Warlord* light blades, heavy blades, polearms Perform (Dance)
    Piercing Lance Warder*, Warlord* polearms, spears Ride
    Eternal Flux
    Riven Hourglass

So I guess if you like polearms, you're in luck.
    Cursed Razor is available to Harbinger, through a Tradition, and to an upcoming Warder archetype. Its discipline weapons are heavy blades, light blades, and spears. Its associated skill is Spellcraft.

Shattered Mirror is available to Harbinger, to the upcoming Mystic class, and may be available through Tradition and/or archetypes, though that is not yet actually confirmed. Its discipline weapons are heavy blades, light blades, and close. Its associated skill is Craft (Glassmaking, Painting, Sculpture, or Sketching).

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

One thing I'm pleasantly surprised about is system versatility.

Now, on the surface, the classes in PoW are much more well defined than the classes in ToB. This is a good thing because... hey, actual class features. But it also looked like it might be a bad thing where a class is designed around a certain niche and therefore every member of that class is basically the same idea. Especially for the Warder and Warlord because of their more limited pool of options.

But today I put together two warders and they're basically unrecognizable as the same class.

Though on that note, dervish defender has... a lot of AC at low levels, maybe too much.

4. - Top - End - #184

As far as the elemental thing; honestly, I can't please anybody on that one
    I understand the bind there. I really do think a sidebar would be helpful. For me personally I can change anything I want for a player, but a lot of DMs like having something in the book that says they can do something.

End of the day, more content will exist if more financial incentive is given.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    You can't use Kung Fu with a machine gun, but you could design a martial art around using a gun (see Equilibrium).
    I put a $20 in my CD drive. Did you get it?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the book, and honestly the only houserules I'm considering are making a few more maneuvers ranged friendly and combining deadly agility and double weapon finesse (or something, not sure what I'm doing there).

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Does Deadly Agility work when throwing weapons?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

No. I had the same doubt not long ago.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

A 2-level bard dip for Versatile Performance could be interesting for a few builds.
    Versatile Performance (Ex): At 2nd level, a bard can choose one type of Perform skill. He can use his bonus in that skill in place of his bonus in associated skills. When substituting in this way, the bard uses his total Perform skill bonus, including class skill bonus, in place of its associated skill's bonus, whether or not he has ranks in that skill or if it is a class skill. At 6th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the bard can select an additional type of Perform to substitute.

The types of Perform and their associated skills are: Act (Bluff, Disguise), Comedy (Bluff, Intimidate), Dance (Acrobatics, Fly), Keyboard Instruments (Diplomacy, Intimidate), Oratory (Diplomacy, Sense Motive), Percussion (Handle Animal, Intimidate), Sing (Bluff, Sense Motive), String (Bluff, Diplomacy), and Wind (Diplomacy, Handle Animal).
    A Court Bard 2/Bannerman X for instance, using Perform (oratory) or Perform (sing) for his Scarlet Throne maneuvers. It's not that useful right now since few of those combinations involve maneuvers with a lot of skill checks. With PoW2 though, you could be a warlord with Broken Blade, Thrashing Dragon and Mithral Current all running on Perform (dance) checks or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    So yeah - I certainly have a feat that allows for cold damage Solar Wind, same as I'm changing the limitation to Mage Hunter casting to allow for the other mental stats through Martial Training. But that's not what the majority of groups will do. The majority of groups, without a cue to say it's okay in the source material will say "well ****" and never think about the option, leaving Solar Wind more susceptible than any other discipline to immunity and heavy resistance.

That's why I still think a feat would be a good idea. Not one to wholesale change the discipline's element; that's simply patching a band-aid over the problem. A feat that was designed to give the option above and beyond what they already had when they prepare maneuvers by letting them choose to deal cold damage on ones they choose to do cold damage on and fire damage on the others - and isn't giving options the point of feats?
    Thematically, I'm not too fond of a "change the element" feat compared to just letting players choose an alternate version of the discipline. But I do like the idea of a psionic feat that alters your Solar Wind maneuvers to match your active energy type.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-09-13 at 07:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Thematically, I'm not too fond of a "change the element" feat compared to just letting players choose an alternate version of the discipline. But I do like the idea of a psionic feat that alters your Solar Wind maneuvers to match your active energy type.
    That sounds like an excellent idea. It doesn't even need to be Solar Wind specific. Hell, it doesn't even need to be a feat - just add a sidebar saying that if you're psionic, the energy damage matches your active energy type (but a feat would work, I believe).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Might also work as part of a Marksman archetype. Then there's racial stuff, like a maenad version of Solar Wind that deals sonic damage (fire attacks do not work well at sea).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-09-13 at 07:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Making Solar Wind tied into active energy type would be the kind of flexibility that would mean no solar wind user was ever not psionic, honestly. Maybe behind a set of damnably hard prerequisites or as an archetype though, yeah.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Making Solar Wind tied into active energy type would be the kind of flexibility that would mean no solar wind user was ever not psionic, honestly. Maybe behind a set of damnably hard prerequisites or as an archetype though, yeah.
    Stalker of the Four Winds?
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2014-09-13 at 09:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    [...] but you could design a martial art around using a gun (see Equilibrium). See?

-X
    Now we need a discipline all about gun-fu. Since pistols already have such a short range increment (20 ft.), this screams for some kind of melee gun & punch discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

At one point Chris said that they were considering a feat in PoW2 that allowed for Broken Blade to be used with Improvised Weapons to allow for a more gun-fu ish short range combat style.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

At one point Chris said that they were considering a feat in PoW2 that allowed for Broken Blade to be used with Improvised Weapons to allow for a more gun-fu ish short range combat style.
    Pistol whip may or may not be an improvised weapon depending on your class...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Now we need a discipline all about gun-fu. Since pistols already have such a short range increment (20 ft.), this screams for some kind of melee gun & punch discipline.
    Playing a Hawkguard Warder right now that uses Golden Lion strikes and boosts, some broken blade and iron tortoise for shield bashing (took buckler bash), and a few Solar Wind boosts (+30' range increment ftw). The close strikes are mostly for status effects (Shard of Iron Strike), which works really nicely. Not a combat beast in melee, though I'm working on a character rebuild and may pick up finesse and deadly agility next level to make buckler bashing more effective (str was my dump stat...). I can post a character build if people are interested, but seriously a Hawkguard is a damned good Gun-Fu class.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    Pistol whip may or may not be an improvised weapon depending on your class...
    Most, if not all, classes that get melee attacks through their guns don't actually define guns specifically as melee weapons. Gunslinger's Pistol-Whip lets them make an attack with the butt of their gun as a standard action, and Grammaton Cryptic's Gun Kata is worded weirdly and may or may not actually count as a weapon for maneuvers.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Tyr View Post
    Playing a Hawkguard Warder right now that uses Golden Lion strikes and boosts, some broken blade and iron tortoise for shield bashing (took buckler bash), and a few Solar Wind boosts (+30' range increment ftw). The close strikes are mostly for status effects (Shard of Iron Strike), which works really nicely. Not a combat beast in melee, though I'm working on a character rebuild and may pick up finesse and deadly agility next level to make buckler bashing more effective (str was my dump stat...). I can post a character build if people are interested, but seriously a Hawkguard is a damned good Gun-Fu class.
    I would definitely be interested in seeing this character build.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's something I'd like to see a bit of discussion on: what maneuvers can be used in conjunction with touch spells? I know Bladecaster has Bladecaster's Strike - I'm more asking about casting and holding a touch spell one round then initiating a maneuver off that charge on the next. I know you're counted as armed while holding a charge, but in many (most? all?) cases a melee attack is specifically not a melee touch attack, which would leave only maneuvers that say any attack as available for this thought process.

19. - Top - End - #199

and Grammaton Cryptic's Gun Kata is worded weirdly and may or may not actually count as a weapon for maneuvers.
    RAI they're supposed to essentially function as light maces. RAW gets icky because they're neither light and probably improvised

20. - Top - End - #200
    Banned

Most, if not all, classes that get melee attacks through their guns don't actually define guns specifically as melee weapons. Gunslinger's Pistol-Whip lets them make an attack with the butt of their gun as a standard action, and Grammaton Cryptic's Gun Kata is worded weirdly and may or may not actually count as a weapon for maneuvers.
    Yes - and limiting it to improvised weapons, the two classes that are most connected to hitting things in melee with a gun wouldn't be able to make use of the discipline.
    If the point is gun-fu, 'hitting things with a gun in melee' should be a discipline weapon. Improvised weapons are a lot broader than that, which ends up with a Jackie Chan vibe. Not a bad thing per se - but not gun-fu.
    Last edited by Shinken; 2014-09-14 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Does a dervish defender's two weapon fighting bonus feat require the character to meet the prerequisites?
    If it doesn't require a high dex... How well do you think a high strength duel wielder build would work?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Does a dervish defender's two weapon fighting bonus feat require the character to meet the prerequisites?
    If it doesn't require a high dex... How well do you think a high strength duel wielder build would work?
    Aside from never getting more than one off-hand attack, and having lower AC, initiative, ref saves, and Acrobatics skill than Dex-based one, it shouldn't be too bad.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

23. - Top - End - #203

As has been mentioned it doesn't.

There is a psionic feat though which adds dex to damage when throwing. Appropriately the name is deadly throw (IIRC). You need to maintain psionic focus though making it necessary to have the psionic subtype.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Trying to decide...
    Two weapon fighting, or... Something else for a steelfist commando?
    I do have permission from my gm to switch out a discipline for silver crane, if that aids things any.
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-09-14 at 11:31 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Trying to decide...
    Two weapon fighting, or... Something else for a steelfist commando?
    I do have permission from my gm to switch out a discipline for silver crane, if that aids things any.
    Depends on what you want. Two-handing is good, obviously (temple sword is basically a longsword that's also a monk weapon), and sword'n'board works okay, though since you don't have shield proficiency, you'll need a MW light shield (so as to have no ACP) and can't get Imp. Shield Bash. Ranged with longbow is also a solid option, since Silver Crane, Steel Serpent, and Golden Lion all have maneuvers that can be used ranged (in addition to Solar Wind, obviously).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

I hadn't thought of trying a bow with it... Could definitely be fun ^_^ (and as a plus, I'll be threatening nearby spaces due to the unarmed strikes)
    Should I invest in strength for compound bows, or rely on deadly aim/maneuvers for damage?
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn't thought of trying a bow with it... Could definitely be fun ^_^ (and as a plus, I'll be threatening nearby spaces due to the unarmed strikes)
    Should I invest in strength for compound bows, or rely on deadly aim/maneuvers for damage?
    Depends on what your stats and pointbuy look like, but martial adepts are unlikely to have spare points for what's probably not even tertiary stat.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

20 point buy, with human as the race.

something like this look decent? Should I move the str points back to wis?;
    12 str
    14+2 dex
    14 con
    10 int
    8 wis
    16 cha

edit: though I was going for silver crane for some of the melee only moves...
    Is two weapon fighting worth considering for a steelfist commando? And would a two handed build work with their unarmed strike?(never been sure how unarmed strike would interact with things like power attack and... whatever else a two handed fighter uses)
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-09-15 at 12:35 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

It's not too bad. You could also dump Strength and grab Weapon Finesse, if you have feats to spare.

[Edit]: Steelfist Commando is excellent for TWF, and I'm quite sure PoW intends unarmed strikes be two-weapon-fightable, but by default they aren't (since you only have one "unarmed strike").
    Last edited by Greenish; 2014-09-15 at 12:40 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, you can use two weapon fighting with unarmed strikes. A creature's whole body is usable for them, so they can always be used as an offhand attack.
    I may try two weapon fighting... How far down the chain should I go? Will I actually be using enough full attacks to see any use from the later feats?

As for the two handed style thing with unarmed attacks... Does it work?
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-09-15 at 12:54 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)