New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Can an Apostle of Peace use a pen and other questions

As an apostle of peace how do I get around simple tasks like writing a
    note, since I can't own a pen, or how do I do things that require tools,
    Can he even go to the bathroom since he can't own anything?
    I think that if the actual ownership is never transferred from the owner, then the apostle should in theory be able to carry things for others, or use them.
    hell, can apostle of peace use items he made from junk? Junk was worthless so self-made stuff not made to last, or made for one use wouldn't violate VoP I hope?

How do I summon a creature that has items and/or class levels I know there was a mention about it in wizards & sorcerers handbook, but it required you to leave the plane to give the item in person.

If I play a human, can I be permanently turned into a living
    construct with a spell and get construct feats or modifications?
    savage species has rituals and prcs for that sort of thing I think, but I don't know about constructs.

Can warforged with adamanine body get vow of poverty then have their body enchanted, what if the enchantment was temporary instead of permanent, or can
    warforged with VoP body be infused?

As an apostle of peace, can I gain temporary enchantments to my staff or clothes? Can he recieve artificer's infusions?
    a +1 magical enchantment would only last a couple of rounds and cost nothing so it should work I think.

Can an apostle of peace make use of magical tatoos since the 100gp component might be begged off from someone else? Can they make use of items conjured by magic?
    Heck, can they pay 20xp for it? Since they can substitute xp for gold in a 5:1 basis.

Can a prestige class make use of spell research rules?

Do warforged receive monks AC bonus? They do not in fact wear armor?

EDIT: What is the extent some polymorph spells can change someone? Can they alter appearance, or age categories?

What is the extent an apostle of peace can hurt someone? Can they polymorph someone to a frog, or use spells to put others in intedimesional prisons forever? Mind control someone? A lot of things don't do damage or ability damage, they are just infinitely more unpleasant than death, but they aren't forbidden in the rules. Can I teach words of creation to evil people in the hope that they'll say them? Can I trick them into it? Technically I didn't touch them if they die after speaking those words.

Are there any creatures that turn into items or are basically items? Can they be used by apostles of peace? They don't own them those creatures own themselves so why not?

Please and thank you.
    Last edited by WRoosterdf; 2014-09-09 at 07:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can an Apostle of Peace use toilet paper and other questions

These are just how I would rule it as a DM, others might disagree.

As an apostle of peace how do I get around simple tasks like writing a
    note, since I can't own a pen, or how do I do things that require tools,
    Can he even go to the bathroom since he can't own anything?
    For writing stuff, he could borrow a pen and write on a piece of discarded, worthless paper. Or he could ask someone else to do it. Or use a bit of wood charred on one end as a pen.

Toilet paper wasn't invented in the middle ages, people used leaves. I'd say that an apostle of peace can use as many leaves as he wants. ^^

I think that if the actual ownership is never transferred from the owner, then the apostle should in theory be able to carry things for others, or use them.
    He can carry them as in "hold them for others without using them." But using any kind of item except a potion, scroll or similiar spell activation items is expressly forbidden by the Vow of Poverty.

hell, can apostle of peace use items he made from junk? Junk was worthless so self-made stuff not made to last, or made for one use wouldn't violate VoP I hope?
    It's not on the list of allowed items, but I think that allowing someone to use such items as improvised weapons or tools would be acceptable for most people. Going by strictly rules as written, the Apostle isn't even allowed to own the "worthless" junk.

How do I summon a creature that has items and/or class levels I know there was a mention about it in wizards & sorcerers handbook, but it required you to leave the plane to give the item in person.
    If you want to do something like that, you'd need call planar ally (or it's variants), or the spell gate. Summon Monster can't do that, the monsters appear with no gear except the one in their base entry.

If I play a human, can I be permanently turned into a living
    construct with a spell and get construct feats or modifications?
    savage species has rituals and prcs for that sort of thing I think, but I don't know about constructs.
    Don't know about that. I'd homebrew a ritual if no other opportunity presented itself, but only if you really wanted to.

Can warforged with adamanine body get vow of poverty then have their body enchanted, what if the enchantment was temporary instead of permanent, or can
    warforged with VoP body be infused?
    Enchanting no. I wouldn't even allow adamantine body for VoP. Temporary is possible, of course (in the same sense as "magiv vestment" is temporary). Do you mean the artificer infusions? If so, handle them like spells.

As an apostle of peace, can I gain temporary enchantments to my staff or clothes? Can he recieve artificer's infusions?
    a +1 magical enchantment would only last a couple of rounds and cost nothing so it should work I think.
    Yes, that is completely allowed. You are allowed to benefit from spells other peoples cast on you.

Can an apostle of peace make use of magical tatoos since the 100gp component might be begged off from someone else? Can they make use of items conjured by magic?
    Heck, can they pay 20xp for it? Since they can substitute xp for gold in a 5:1 basis.
    No, tatoos aren't possible, because they would be magical items, and VoP forbids using these.
    Conjured items are a tricky question. I would allow them to be used as long as the items are not permanent, but only exist for the duration of the spell. Alternatively, the Apostle would have to create them just for their use and then discard them right after the use.

Can a prestige class make use of spell research rules?
    In general, yes, but spell research costs money. Very much, actually. So the Apostle is out of luck (again).

The warforged skin doesn't count as armor for monk features unless the racial feature expressly states it (like adamantine body does.

What is the extent some polymorph spells can change someone? Can they alter appearance, or age categories?
    That depends very much on the polymorph spell in question. The higher ones can change anything to about anything else, like a pebble into a talking, walking, breathing (very confused...) human. They all at least alter appearance in some fashion, though.

What is the extent an apostle of peace can hurt someone? Can they polymorph someone to a frog, or use spells to put others in intedimesional prisons forever? Mind control someone? A lot of things don't do damage or ability damage, they are just infinitely more unpleasant than death, but they aren't forbidden in the rules.
    Those spells are all fair game, just as long as you don't violate your alignment restriction. So, you have to do it to achieve good, yadda yadda yadda. Those spells are even quite strong for you, since you get a bonus from the vow of non-violence on them. The Apostle of Peace spell list doesn't include many spells that benefit from that, though.

What you can also do is take the feat "mercyfull spell" and throw around mercyfull fireballs that do nonlethal damage and get +4 on their DC.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Can an Apostle of Peace use a pen and other questions

AoPs have an exception to the magic item restrictions in that they can use magic items that protect them. Simply get something that can both write and protect you, like Marvelous Pigments.

(Yes, VoP is silly, though inconveniences that other characters take for granted are the point of a vow in many cases.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)