Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default For The Emperor! - A Let's Play of Ascendancy, WH40K Style

For the people who've never heard of it - it's not hipster-level obscure, but is in a niche genre - ASCENDANCY was a turn-based 4X Strategy game released in 1995 (with a bastardized revival for iOS, but we shall not speak of the abomination). If it had been packaged with a competent and challenging AI, it could have dethroned Master of Orion 2 as the king of the 4X genre...but, 'competent and challenging' is roughly the polar opposite of what you got. So it languishes a distant second, even with the fan-patch that ups difficulty slightly by giving the CPUs arbitrary production bonuses.

I've still got it installed, with a DOS emulator, and have decided to make another Let's Play as a vacation project since I'm bored. But, as mentioned, it's not that challenging even with the difficulty patch, so to make it more interesting to read/play, I'll also do it Nuzlocke-style with some appropriately thematic restrictions on gameplay. Thematic for what? None other than everyone's (least?)favorite over-the-top sci-fi setting, Warhammer 40,000. Specifically, I've settled on the following:

-Purge The Alien: Hostile Difficulty, Max # of opponents. Must declare war on all other races upon discovering them.
    With Antagonizer, this is almost a formality. CPUs are insanely aggressive, so this really just beats them to the punch.

-Exterminatus!: Captured planets must be abandoned immediately. Only colonized planets may be developed or used.
    The AI sucks at designing its planets too, but this will deny me forward bases when I'm pressing the offensive unless I delay to build them up from scratch.

-Xenotech Is Heresy: Xeno Archaeological Digs may not be excavated.
    A big, if random, handicap. Xeno Digs can provide incredibly advanced tech very early on and are fairly common, so this is basically required to provide any measure of genuine difficulty to the game.

-Praise The Sacred Machine: Ships may not be refitted once constructed, only repaired/re-equipped.
    Without the ability to swap old tech for new developments, my most obsolete ships will be leading my combat fleets.

-There Is Only War: No unarmed ships. Everything must have a Weaponry score of 1+.
    Mostly thematic, but will hurt early game expansion by absorbing hull space needed for colony modules.

There are no humans in this game - only one species is even technically humanoid, so it's a choice of which race has ships that look most appropriate. Unfortunately, no one here has giant interstellar battle cathedrals, so I'm going with the Minions, whose ships at least look outright mechanical instead of organic or techno-organic.
    Spoiler
    Show

I can win the game by exterminating all other races, capturing all enemy homeworlds, establishing dominance over 2/3 of the cluster, or forging alliances with everyone. The last is obviously off the table, the first is extremely hard to do without accomplishing the second or third. And sufficiently high score with a Dominance victory can grant the Emperor title, so that'll be my hoped-for goal.

Updates...probably daily, a few pictures at a time depending on how much interest this gets. Aaaand, that's all I can think of for an intro. Time for the story of one stalwart Imperial ship and its captain, flung through the Warp into an unexplored cluster of space full of ravening xenos. To fulfill his orders, he must regain contact with the Imperium of Man. And to re-establish that contact, he must first gain...

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: For The Emperor! - A Let's Play of Ascendancy, WH40K Style

I've heard interesting things about this game, and this sounds like a fun way to vicariously explore it. Looking forward to the stories of your exploits!
    ithilanor on Steam.

PC games:
    -Terraria
    -CK2
    -More Terraria
    -Imperialist Colonialist Simulator Europa Universalis 4
    -XCOM (2012)
    -also, Terraria

Backlog:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Recettear
    -Classic XCOM
    -SimCity 4
    -Q.U.B.E
    -Don't Starve
    -Hotline Miami
    -Freespace 2
    -Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
    -Stronghold: Crusader
    -The Last Express
    -Gateways
    -Theme Hospital
    -Mount & Blade: Warband

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    There are no humans in this game - only one species is even technically humanoid, so it's a choice of which race has ships that look most appropriate. Unfortunately, no one here has giant interstellar battle cathedrals, so I'm going with the Minions, whose ships at least look outright mechanical instead of organic or techno-organic.
    Also, their special ability is pretty useful, letting you save lots of space on invasion modules and generally build better than usual ships.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oooh, spacey 4X games. I can dig it.

5. - Top - End - #5

PROLOGUE

Personal Log of Luppolt Ober, Captain, commanding Emperor-class battleship Vengeance of Sol

Blessed be the Emperor, for he has delivered us unto salvation!

All of us aboard the Vengeance of Sol thought our ship doomed when the currents of the warp separated us from the fleet. For countless days we drifted, lost and out of control as our Navigator shuddered and screamed in agony. At long last, he regained his mind long enough to guide us free of the Immaterium, but shortly afterward expired. May his soul rest in peace, though I fear the rest of us will soon join him.
    ---
    None of our star charts match what is visible to our remaining sensors. We are in truly uncharted space, and though our surviving Astropaths can sense the Astronomicon's light, it is faint and they are as a group yet too weak to send a message. The ship is heavily damaged, on the verge of breaking up. Sensors report that the fourth planet of this star system is habitable by Man, and so I have set course to meet it. An Emperor-class battleship was never meant to grace a planet's surface, but its armor may serve Him one last time by delivering us to safety.

DAY 0000

We are alive, may he be praised. Vengeance of Sol will never fly again, buried belly-deep in this alien world's soil, but nearly half of the crew survived the crash. Furthermore, it appears this world was once owned by Man in distant aeons, for our impact has broken open what looks like an archaeotech vault. Not any mere vault either, but one containing an intact and undisturbed STC. The Adeptus Mechanicus experts onboard are beside themselves with delight, but my hand is firm - before the archives of this treasure trove can be delved into, we must first secure our own survival. I have ordered the STC into operation, using its production capacity and the rich natural ores of the planet to construct a Factory. This will supply us with lesser goods, and give purpose to the crew. Heresy, after all, grows from idleness.

The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How much detail are you going to cover the mechanics in? Looks like some fairly standard basic 4X mechanics, but I know there's plenty of unique stuff like the tech tree. (Trees?)
    ithilanor on Steam.

PC games:
    -Terraria
    -CK2
    -More Terraria
    -XCOM (2012)
    -also, Terraria

Backlog:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Recettear
    -Classic XCOM
    -SimCity 4
    -Q.U.B.E
    -Don't Starve
    -Hotline Miami
    -Freespace 2
    -The Last Express
    -Gateways
    -Theme Hospital

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    How much detail are you going to cover the mechanics in? Looks like some fairly standard basic 4X mechanics, but I know there's plenty of unique stuff like the tech tree. (Trees?)
    As much as requested, so if you want to know what's going on/what is being shown in screenshots, I can explain.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    As much as requested, so if you want to know what's going on/what is being shown in screenshots, I can explain.
    Would you mind going over the basics of the UI, then? I can see that you've got one building on the planet and you're building a factory, but that's it. I'm assuming the different-colored squares on the planet are spaces you can build on?
    ithilanor on Steam.

PC games:
    -Terraria
    -CK2
    -More Terraria
    -XCOM (2012)
    -also, Terraria

Backlog:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Recettear
    -Classic XCOM
    -SimCity 4
    -Q.U.B.E
    -Don't Starve
    -Hotline Miami
    -Freespace 2
    -The Last Express
    -Gateways
    -Theme Hospital

9. - Top - End - #9

Alright, Ascendancy Planet UI 101:

-The upper left BLUE zone is the planet's Research score, showing how much it is contributing to your empire-wide tech development speed. It is currently at 0 for this planet, but is boosted by tech labs and research facilities (coming later).
    -The RED zone is the planet's Industry score. A higher Industry means the planet completes its build orders faster, and is increased by factories and industrial plants.
    -The GREEN zone is the planet's Prosperity score. A high Prosperity reduces the time needed for unoccupied population to become available; this is increased by agricenters and hydroponic buildings, and unlike the other two values, will drop over time.
    -The 4th window is the Population display. Red icons indicate planetary population that is occupied running a building of some kind - one population unit is required per building. Yellow icons are unoccupied population units. Green circles are population growth space. Certain structures can add additional growth space or reduce occupied population.
    -The upper-right window is the Build display, showing the current build order and how many days it will take to complete.

The big window below is the planetary surface and orbital zone. Planets come in 5 sizes from Tiny to Enormous, and 11 different environments from Husk (100% Black squares) to Cornucopia (33% of each colored square) - we are currently looking at an Enormous Mineral world, with a high concentration of Red squares.
    -Black squares are inhabitable for most races. High-end technology can terraform them into White squares.
    -White squares can be built on freely and give no bonuses.
    -Red squares can be built on freely, and Industry-producing structures on them count for double.
    -Blue squares can be built on freely, and Research-producing structures on them count for double.
    -Green squares can be built on freely, and Prosperity-producing structures on them count for double.

The structure on planet right now is a Colony Base, created when you colonize the planet - it provides Industry 1 and Prosperity 1. Mine happens to be on a Red square, so it is generating 2 Industry and 1 Prosperity. I've chosen to build a Factory for my first structure to make development faster; unfortunately, my Prosperity of 1 means it will take 50 days to increase my population, so after 15 days of work it will sit idle for 35 days (you cannot temporarily shut off structures, only raze them).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-09-10 at 09:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I greatly look forward to this.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

This was certainly one of my favorite games of bygone years. Glad to see it still getting some love! ;)
    Currently playing as Polynesia in Civ 5 Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit Edition
    ... and also Rome in Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: The Empire Strikes Back
    ... and even the Zulu in Civ 5 Multiplayer 8: A Beyond Earth Prequel

12. - Top - End - #12

Stupid Photobucket crash. Will update twice today, here is the first.

Day 0050

The factory is complete, and many of the serf crew members now labor usefully in its halls. At first, I was mindful to declare a day of celebration and feasting to commemorate our settlement of this world in the Emperor's name, but my advisors reminded me that we have nothing to feast upon but our finite stores of salvaged supplies. We would need food eventually, and so I turned yet again to the tech-priests exploring the workings of the STC complex, and ordered them to produce from it a supply of organic nutrients in palatable form. It took some time, and a great deal of argument, to settle on a mutually recognized definition of 'palatable', but the great auto-assemblers soon churned to work on a self-contained vat complex, supplemented by a set of small farms to provide officers and command staff with fresh-grown food.

Day 0074

Now that our nutrient supply is, for the time being, secure, the tech-priests have again become agitated and eager to resume their exploration of the incalculably valuable STC. To appease them, I have granted permission to use its assemblers to construct a sacred tech-shrine, in which they can study the encrypted and timeworn data stored within the machine at their leisure. This will, hopefully, keep them out of my hair while I run this new colony, and perhaps in the process they will discover something useful.

Day 0116

It as if my words have crossed the void of space and been delivered straight to His ears. Today, the second ranking tech-priest came to me with news of a mind-boggling discovery - the STC in our possession was a master unit, capable of limited self-replication! The patterns already unlocked would enable construction of a partially automated orbital shipyard whose machine spirits could keep it self-supplied with only the need for human input on assembly tasks. Sadly, the ancient data banks did not appear to contain plans for current-era spacefaring vessels; undaunted, I commanded them to seek alternative designs, and to continue investigation of the STC's spawning capability. To possess not one mere auto-assembler, but many, would assure Mankind's dominance over this sector in the face of any threat.

Spoiler: Research
    Show

Welcome to the Research screen. The Ascendancy tech tree is linear, like you might expect - earlier discoveries will open up new discoveries, moving down to newer and better stuff. In the first picture, you can see I've just begun my first topic of study, Orbital Structures - it'll take 25 days to research, and unlock the Shipyard and Orbital Shield buildings. The second picture, you can see I have completed Orbital Structures; this has unlocked Interplanetary Exploration - another 17 days, and I'll have plans for my first starship hulls along with the first-tier generator equipment.

Research time is determined by the sum total of Research generated across your entire empire, and it runs parallel to the Industry build orders on the planets themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Day 0237

Arch-Magos Tonklin has reported to me today that the Mechanicus have now recovered enough lost technology to reconstruct an archaeotech space vessel. It will possess a drive system named after the Arch-Magos, a set of power generators, the best defensive missile launchers we can supply, and a miniaturized copy of the STC assembler, to hopefully establish our first colony.

Spoiler: Ship Construction
    Show

Welcome to the Ship Design screen. The 3d view is an image of what it looks like on the outside. In the upper left, it shows the attributes of the ship plan you've laid out - Red = Weapons, Green = Engines, Yellow = Energy. The big window shows the interior component space - the bigger the ship, the more components it can carry. In the upper right are the different submenus for Weapons, Engines, Scanners, Power Generators, Special Items, and Shields, moving left to right around the Ship Size tab. The window on the right shows all the researched parts of that category.

Here, you can see I've equipped the Small-class ship with one Engine, two Power Generators, one Colonizer module, and one set of Fourier Missiles. Since I currently have the Weapons submenu open, it is displaying all of the 1 Weapons I have researched at this time.

Day 0273

Today, our first home-built vessel was completed, and there is now a new light in our night sky. It is with heavy heart that I send the newly built Emperor's Grace on her maiden voyage, plotted to the next nearest planet to our sun. When we first arrived, it was opposite the sun from us and thus unscannable, but it may prove a fruitful second home for Man around this star.

Spoiler: System Display View
    Show

Welcome to the System Viewer, where you manage ship activity inside a system. The three icons in the upper right are, in order, Pass Turn, Copy Last Order, and Continue Last Order. Below those are the two tabs that switch between showing items you own in system (left) and items you don't own (right). Here, you can see I own the large red planet Freblinsee V, and one Small vessel named Emperors Grace. The vertical window below that is the display of said items, where you can select them and view/give orders to them. When a ship or planet is selected, this menu changes to one where you can select and target weapons or special items. The buttons in the lower right move the camera.

I've ordered my ship to move towards the rainbow planet immediately next to Freblinsee V. When it arrives, it will deploy the Colony module I installed (one use only) to establish a second base on the planet. (Planet V happens to be Cornucopia class, so it's a fantastic first colony and will be very valuable.)

Day 0274

Truly does He smile upon us! The inner planet of the system, which we have decided to christen Freblinsee in honor of the Lord Admiral in command of our missing fleet, can be described as nothing but a bounty of riches. Vast forests and herds of docile xenos beasts roam its surface, atop what sensors report to be massive untapped veins of minerals and rare trace elements suitable for the sacred unguents of the Mechanicus. The auto-assembler has already set to work terraforming the immediate area around our landing site for habitation, while the Emperor's Grace moves outsystem to investigate a strange gravitational anomaly.

Day 0278

What He giveth with one hand, He taketh away. All are in mourning for the crew of the Emperor's Grace, lost with all hands during close survey of the odd anomaly near the edge of the system. They were able to collect a great deal of data before the accident, however - the tech-priests believe the anomaly and its twin to be an intense gravitational disturbance, some form of resonant link between our star and its closest neighbor. With the information won by such noble sacrifice, the Arch-Magos insists they can devise a sacred adaptation of the trusted Gellar Field that will shield a ship from gravity stress and allow even closer study.

Spoiler: Star Lanes
    Show

Star Lanes connect star systems, effectively wormholes with travel time. They can only be accessed if the ship is equipped with a Star Lane Drive, otherwise they bounce off. In game, I deliberately scuttled the Emperor's Grace - since it has run out of colony modules, was occupying one of my limited spaceship allowance slots, and my rules forbid a refit to install a Star Lane Drive when I research the tech. But for narrative purposes it was lost in space. Either way, my next ship will be capable of interstellar travel.

Coming Next Update - Intersystem Travel and The Galaxy Display Screen.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Its a pretty fun read thus far, Looking forward to more.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

15. - Top - End - #15

Overdue by one, so you get an ULTRA DOUBLE MEGA BONUS LENGTH UPDATE today. With Colonies! and DiplomacyViolence! and EXPLOSIOOOOOOOOOOONS!!!!!!!1
    This update sponsored by Torgue Corporation.

Day 0392

Our colony's second ship, Emperor's Blessing, commissioned today with its experimental 'Star Lane Drive' fully operational. The tech-priests insist that it will be sufficient to protect the ship from gravitational turbulence, indeed allowing the vessel to catch hold of the gravity stream and 'ride' it to another star at warp-like speed. As we have no Navigators amongst the colonists, true Warp travel is beyond our capability; this may be our only option.

Spoiler: Galaxy View
    Show

This is the Main View screen, from which everything else is accessed. The main window displays the star cluster map; undiscovered stars are the colored dots. A discovered system can be looked at in detail, going to the System View screen, by clicking on it; systems are connected by Star Lanes and Red Links (extra-long, very slow lanes) as shown by blue or red lines respectively.

The upper right shows the game clock, with 'next day' and 'next important event' buttons. Below that, Planets and Ships bring you to the submenus that display current status of all your owned planets or ships respectively. Research opens the research interface. Special Ability would be where you either activate your racial special power, or check its remaining cooldown time - the Minions have a passive racial power that is always in effect. Finally, the Species button would bring us to that interface for diplomatic contact with aliens we have met, along with further access to known intelligence data.

As usual, the lower right contains controls for rotating and zooming the map display, plus various show/hide toggles for races, planets, lanes and/or ships.

Day 0402

The Emperor's Blessing has reported back safely via astropath from the far end of the 'star lane'. There is a marginally habitable world there as well; swampy and wet, but breathable and with resources an auto-assembler can use to supply colonists. The christened Sophia system, after Saint Sophia the Courageous, contains a second star lane that the Blessing will further explore.

Day 0414

Our third colony, in the Algol system, has been planted - along with the ship's astropath - to monitor and study yet another unusual and potentially dangerous phenomenon. It resembles the gravity lanes apparently so common in this sector of space, but is far more turbulent and powerful; enduring such stress would greatly tax and slow the Emperor's Blessing, and we cannot yet afford to have those experienced crewmen and brave colonists put at risk. Rather, the Blessing will return to Freblinsee for resupply before venturing to explore a different line of stars.

Day 0463

Emperor preserve us, for in this unforgiving sector of space we are not alone. Upon emerging from the other end of the star lane, the Emperor's Blessing detected life and activity on the largest planet, and shortly thereafter was hailed by the inhabitants.

May His light guide me, for I had never seen such a hideous entity. In my days as a Navy man, I have fought the foul illusions of Eldar pirates, and driven back the relentless savagery of Ork freebooters. I have seen the unnatural geometries of Tau cruisers, and heard whispered stories of invincible battleships crewed by thinking xenos machines. But all of these enemies, to their least, bore at least a twisted parody of Man's divine form. The beings so calmly greeting us were more like fur-covered forest Grox, possessed of a massive cyclopean eye.

They could not be tolerated to live, and the captain of the Emperor's Blessing obeyed protocol promptly by claiming the system for the Imperium and ordered these "Snovemdomas" to abandon the system immediately. Their reply was prompt, and only partly translatable, but the Xenologis servitors approximated it to the Low Gothic taunt 'Bring it on'. Unsettling, to say the least.

The Emperor's Blessing has set a garrison in system to watch these new foes, and proceeded onward. Scanners detect hostile ships, likely Snovemdoma warships, traveling away from the system in another 'Red Lane' - to thus find the heart of the cancer at our doorstep, we must venture elsewhere.

Spoiler: Diplomacy View
    Show

And we have met our first co-occupant of the game, the Snovemdomas. Heavy-gravity one-eyed wooly mammoths, basically. Their racial special is a passive 100% maximum health increase to all ships, making them very tough to beat in ship-to-ship combat

If we weren't compelled by xenophobia to exterminate them, this screen (accessed from the Species display) would be where diplomacy is conducted.

When talking to a neutral alien species, you can A) declare war on them; B) offer them an alliance; C) attempt to trade knowledge of star lanes, star systems, and/or research with them. The odds of a trade go up if you are allied. When at war, you can only attempt to sue for peace.

Day 0474

More colonies of the xeno scum, barely more advanced than our own, lay beyond our first site of contact. Clearly, these natives must be grossly inferior in mind and body, to have only recently begun reaching for the stars that they do not deserve. Emperor's Blessing did a close flyby of the planet on its way to the opposite star lane, but its missiles were not properly primed for accurate surface bombardment. It is unlikely more than a few thousand natives were killed in the barrage.

Freblinsee IV's shipyards have finally come online, and immediately been put to work. Our Emperor-class colony cruisers may carry weapons, but they are not dedicated warships, and so the Imperial Fury has been commissioned to take the fight to our foe.

day 0476

]

Another day of mourning - the foul hand of the Alien has spilled Man's most holy blood. Only hours past, a warship of the Snovemdoma descended upon our garrison in the Paragon system, systematically obliterating our base there and exterminating every human being in residence to the last. They will be remembered forever, and avenged mightily.

Spoiler: Intelligence Report
    Show

We currently have a larger fleet, but the Snovemdoma have 3 more colonies, and a slightly higher tech base (probably armed with Quantum Singularity Generators, a 3rd-tier weapon). The Imperial Fury only has 2nd-tier Fourier missiles, but I have a ship under construction with 4th-tier guns.

Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-09-16 at 09:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Day 538

The xenos raiders struck again today - but this time, we were ready for them. Having detected the telltale disturbances of an approaching vessel through the star lanes, Emperor's Blessing and Emperor's Gift were waiting when it emerged, as Imperial Fury rushed to join their formation.

Crews readied for battle, but it was evident our stalwart resistance had broken the will of the craven attackers. Rather than stand and fight, they attempted to break past our line of battle, on a course for the Crimea system and our yet-defenseless colony there.

Imperial Fury positioned itself on an intercept course, salvoing missiles into the Snovemdoma ship as it desperately tried to evade.

For three days, our fleet pursued them into the outer reaches of the system, until finally bringing them to battle, destroying them without so much as a single casualty. Truly we are blessed.

Day 568

Again, the alien sent ships to defend its accursed worlds, as the newly commissioned Imperial Vengeance bore down implacably upon them. Imperial Fury, Emperor's Gift, and Emperor's Blessing again stood in their way and blew the alien craft to hell far from its destination.

Thus unopposed, our warships moved into orbit over the planet and cleansed it to the last of its infestation. Our colonists descended to a pure world, with only melted and charred ruins to identify the former inhabitants. Defensive shielding has been deemed the top priority of the STC assembly device - never again shall a world of Man fall to alien onslaught.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Day 0572
    Nothing now stands between the fleets of Man and the core worlds of the vile Snovemdoma. Imperial Fury, Imperial Hammer, and Imperial Vengeance lead our formation, with Emperor's Blessing and Emperor's Gift in support, as we sail in Holy Crusade against the xenos.

Day 0577
    Our warfleet encountered a fortified Snovemdoma star system this day, a pair of worlds protected by strange energy shields. As Imperial Vengeance closed to perform Exterminatus, it was unexpectedly taken under fire by previously undetected orbital missile launchers. The salvo dealt severe damage, but not cripplingly so, and before the alien weapons could re-arm, our return fire had blown them into debris.

Thus alerted, Imperial Fury approached the second alien colony with extensive targeting data on the alien defensive system. It was determined that the Imperial-class cruiser's base armament, a complex weapon that shatters the molecular bonds holding targets together, slightly outranged the orbital missile platforms, and long-range bombardment succeeded in disabling the unlaunched projectiles. Within the day, the casualties taken aboard Imperial Vengeance were avenged a hundred times over, and the system was ours. Emperor's Blessing and Imperial Hammer were detached for system defense.

Day 0607
    After jumps through several uninhabited star systems, the fleet came to an apparent dead end; the system they entered possessed only a single star lane anomaly leading back towards their origin. The self-contained nature of the anomaly spread may be why this phenomena has never been seen in Imperial space proper, rather being localized to this sector only.

Day 0622

On this day, battle was joined in His name, as the Snovemdoma made an attempt to retake their former territory. Two ships emerged into Pulveran; one as the ships identified previously, another of a leaner design that bristled with unmistakable weapon ports riding in escort. The escort engaged Imperial Hammer in a duel, molecular separator beams against more strange xeno weaponry that turned chunks of hull into gaping holes much like certain arcane tools of the Eldar.

Emperor's Blessing split to engage the transport, but this time the latter rushed at full speed through our gunsights. We scored solid hits, but it continued on, deploying a wave of infiltration pods onto the smaller planet's surface and continuing towards the opposite star lane.

The enemy's intentions were clear - they meant to sow chaos in our rear, planting poisonous seeds in the Emperor's garden and draining resources needed to root out their guerilla colonists. With no other option, Emperor's Blessing pursued while Imperial Hammer continued engagement against the enemy warship.

Spoiler: AI Tactics
    Show

Here, you see one of the AI's annoying habits. They will bum-rush your systems with ships carrying Colony modules, and plant settlements on the biggest unoccupied planet in the system before moving on. This takes control of the system away from you (which limits the size of your fleet) and makes you spend time and ship components Invading the planet all over again.

Day 0625

After days of skirmishing, Imperial Hammer was able to strike a killing blow on the Snovemdoma warship. The Navy vessel was on the verge of catastrophic failure itself, and the captain has been commended for her heroism.

Back in Freblinsee, the Mechanicus priests have been busy working to unlock and decrypt stored patterns in our Master STC flagged as beneficial to industry and construction. To make the best use of their efforts, the Fleet has withdrawn home for refit and repair, while our freshest crews continue the Crusade.

Spoiler: Repairs and Refits
    Show

Once a ship is constructed, it requires a separate technology- the Orbital Docks, learned by the cat's-cradle-looking research node visible above - to modify its design. This includes replacing one-use items that have been expended, such as Colony Modules and Invasion Craft.

Day 0665

Imperial Justice exited an unexplored star lane, to find a star system infested with filthy xenos. The orbital space above two cold worlds were filled with industry and half-built warships. It is to my regret that I was not there to observe in person, but the captain of Imperial Justice reported great satisfaction at the sight of an undefended 'target-rich environment'.

Day 0776

The red link in the Paragon system, without warning, disgorged an unrecognized alien vessel, one that could not be further from the lumbering Snovemdoma though no less hideous for it. These almost ephemeral aquatic creatures named themselves Chronomyst, and expressed excitement at meeting strange beings.

This could not be tolerated, to imply blessed Man was in any way equivalent to their unsightly shapes, and we ordered them to return back to whence they came without delay or face the Emperor's wrath. Unsurprisingly, they instead chose to offer battle, and were destroyed in short order.

Their strength is unknown, and far away, yet we shall not falter in our quest to drive them from the stars in their own turn.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

*Update delayed due to travel*

In the meantime...is anyone out there still following? Comments encourage me to keep updates going.

The structure of the game doesn't really offer many opportunities for audience interaction/participation beyond the game setup (where I set everything to maximum complexity/difficulty anyways). Any ways I might be able to make this a bit more interesting for readers?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Still following. The narrative is fairly interesting, but there's not much happening at the moment; perhaps add some notes about your planning and setup for later in the game?
    ithilanor on Steam.

PC games:
    -Terraria
    -CK2
    -More Terraria
    -XCOM (2012)
    -also, Terraria

Backlog:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Recettear
    -Classic XCOM
    -SimCity 4
    -Q.U.B.E
    -Don't Starve
    -Hotline Miami
    -Freespace 2
    -The Last Express
    -Gateways
    -Theme Hospital

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BardGuy

You encouraged me to pick up a copy of the game, which I'm now playing via DOSBox. Quite an interesting game. Expansion before getting Docks is a royal PITA, but then it becomes significantly easier to ferry colony pods to various planets.Trying to apply MoO2 tactics and zerging colonies seems to function adequately.

I don't generally see any reason to not colonize a planet, even if it isn't spectacular, simply because it is relatively cheap to reload colony modules, and a colony never costs the greater empire anything.

I can see how your handicaps are making the game more difficult, particularly not using the docks to refit colony ships. I look forward to seeing more xeno heretics slaughtered in the Emperor's name.

FOR THE EMPRAH!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler: Orbital Docks
    Show
    I have been allowing myself to resupply ships, I'm just not redesigning them - once it's commissioned, the only thing I can do is replace expended components and repair hull damage - I can't, say, swap out the Fourier Missiles in my first-generation ships for the Plasmatrons I'm about to tech up to. The bigger handicap is the need to abandon captured infrastructure, forcing me to send empty ships all the way back to my core systems if I want to restock colonizers or invasion pods. But yeah, orbital docks are one of the most crucial technologies in the entire tree for that reason.

It really is a fun game; like I'd said in the intro, I think it could have fought MoO2 for 'best 4x of its era' if it hadn't been saddled with such an anemic AI suite.

Spoiler: Future Plans
    Show

Sure. I'll test this out with a new segment at the end of the update, with info on my progress and plans.

Day 0830

Our fleet is massed in the Paragon, and it is time that we take the fight to the alien at last. Half of our forces, freshly repaired at the Freblinsee orbital yards and blessed by the Mechanicus's most potent holy unguents, will venture forth into the unstable 'red link'.

Simultaneously, a separate pair of scouts will dare to brave the second unexplored link on our flank, and look to secure a second beachhead that will protect Freblinsee fro

Meanwhile, the remainder shall guard against alien intrusion from the opposite direction. The Chronomyst and Snovemdoma will not rest in their evil, thus our crews must be vigilant.

Spoiler: Red Links
    Show

Red Links are like star lanes, except they are much longer and slower. My assault fleet will be in transit for almost 90 in-game days, so I have to leave defenders behind in case an enemy ship enters the lane before I reach the other end. In this case, they did, which made it very good that mobile assets were in place.

Day 0860

Word of great import has come from the tech-priests' shrine, where they continue to decipher the wonders of the STC archives. Our ships will soon sail forth driven by a complex atomic-based generator, at least half again as potent as the crude plasma reactors we currently rely on. To even greater benefit, the priests believe this technology can be retro-fitted into our factory complexes and greatly increase output from the serf laborers. I have ordered this 'Hyperpower' modification as a top priority on all our settled worlds.

Spoiler: Hyperpower Plant
    Show

The Hyperpower plant is a specialty structure with a 1/planet effect limit (multiple just waste space), but it multiplies the effects of every Industry-producing structure on the planet by approximately 40%. The higher your base Industry rating, the bigger boost the Plant puts out. It's one of the best surface structures you can build, and is correspondingly time-consuming (but worth it).

Day 0905

Emperor's Gift and its escort Imperial Shield reached the end of their exploratory journey from Algol, and discovered a planet whose oceans teemed with foul Chronomyst. We could not touch them with bombardment missiles without wrecking the entire planet, but the STCs onboard Emperor's Gift yielded unusually timely fruit in the form of a potent water-soluble toxin that the Biologis experts soon adapted to Chronomyst samples. It will be some time before the plague eliminates all of them, but their ownership of the world is forever broken, and the fleet moves on

Day 0910

The Emperor truly does deliver a surprise at times. The main thrust of our crusade fleet has located the far end of Paragon's red link. Not only did it contain a fledgling colony of the Snovemdoma, but readings from its sole star lane indicated a connection to the same system reachable from the Algol starpath. What we believed to be a vulnerable flank has proved instead a defensive chokepoint, and soon our victorious detachments will be unified.

Day 0920

Thus do the enemies of Man fall, in dust and defeat. Imperial Shield and Emperor's Gift emerged into Tonsberg, last redoubt of the Snovemdoma scourge.

The planet was shielded and defended by missile batteries - it took several days for our ships to reduce the orbital defenses, during which both holy vessels were damaged by enemy fire. Yet no xenos barrier can hold against our wrath forever, and before the week was out our captains were free to rain cleansing fire on the unprotected surface.

Analysis of the wreckage indicated that most structures were ramshackle, hastily constructed and crude even by alien standards. Combined with the lackluster target selection for the extermination missiles, it is safe to conclude that the Snovemdoma race is no more. Perhaps isolated survivors exist on some forsaken ball of ice deep in the void, but never again shall they challenge the Imperium's dominance.

Spoiler: State of The Galaxy
    Show

Finding both red links forking together again was an unexpected benefit, since it lets me advance along one axis for now. Eventually I'll find a genuine split and need to divide my forces, but for now I can leapfrog fleets over each other to capture territory without leaving an open back line and the resultant colony seeds the AI tries to plant.

Here's an intelligence report. The Chronomyst and I look to be very closely matched right now - technical parity, I have slightly more planets against their larger fleet. I've got the defensive advantage of being able to concentrate my smaller fleet, plus I suspect a large portion of what's displayed here is hulls under construction; with only two high-function shipyards to use, almost all of my displayed fleet is in the field. On the other hand, my industrial core is behind a red link, which will make delivering reinforcements to the front much harder. I'm not far away from Red Lane Hyperdrive technology, though - that will be invaluable for a steady advance.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

BardGuy

Every cinder is a prayer most devout to the Emperor. Purge and cleanse the xeno filth from the galaxy, in the Emperor's name!

Those Chronomist things are pretty darn fast through those warp conduits. They can travel the red lines as fast as we can travel the regular ones, with a corresponding speed increase along the regular lanes. This makes their sick tactic of spreading their seed across cleansed systems even more of a threat to be guarded against, since they can easily out-maneuver any of our ships currently. Fortunately, astro-geometry seems to favor us for the moment, limiting their ability to capitalize on this annoying quirk, but we must remain ever vigilant against xeno incursions.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Day 0949
    Advance units from the fleet encountered yet another unfamiliar ship design while clearing wreckage from a failed attempt by the Chronomyst to retake their most recently lost colony world. When the footage was shown to me, it was quite fortunate I had not yet partaken of a meal for the day.

Of the beasts we have met amongst the stars here, at least the Snovemdoma and Chronomyst had the bare decency to be alien in both body and mind. Yet these creatures, which the xenologists have assigned the name 'Oculons' in light of the difficulties with translating a language composed entirely of gestures and frequent blinking, cannot even grant such a courtesy. Eldar or Tau bear mockeries of Man's form, but this is a perversion.

To His praise, the vanguard commander had not hesitated to open fire immediately - undeserved of even the warning to stand clear and retreat were these monstrosities. Their scout was destroyed in a quick, pitched battle - pathetically unarmed like so many of the other xenos vessels yet encountered.

Spoiler: Oculons
    Show

Not a particularly dangerous race, they just look really, really weird. Their racial power is one of the mediocre-to-okay ones, having the passive ability of seeing the entire galaxy's star lane network mapped out from Day 0000; star systems must still be explored, but they automatically know how every system is connected to every other (and can see transits through them, so a careful eye can also pick out every other person's home system when they launch a ship for the first time).

Day 0957

Today, sober news came from the Pindentry system. Emperor's Gift and Emperor's Hammer had emerged from the star lane to find themselves unexpectedly close to the occupied Chronomyst world. Both vessels maneuvered towards safety, but the cowardly invertebrates focused their fire on the weaker and lesser-armed Emperor's Gift, destroying it with all hands.

The loss of its colony pods was a crippling blow to our expansion efforts along that star chain, and to be the ones responsible for obliterating a full crew of navy spacers and innocent civilians earned the Chronomyst of Pindentry a special privilege. From the bowels of the STC, the tech-priests had most recently devised a most fearsome sort of explosive, one harnessing the lost art of atomics into a bomb that would wipe a planet clean of xenos filth without threatening natural resources human settlers might need. Pindentry would be our testing ground for this 'phase bomb' - no quick death in holy fire for this world of alien murderers.

Spoiler: Phase Bombs
    Show

I am testing something here, as it happens. The Phase Bomb is a one-use Special item, the first offensive Special I've loaded onto a ship. It can only target planets, destroying surface buildings directly. In regular game play, this can be used by non-Minion races to try and snipe (randomly) Surface Shields that would otherwise soak up Invasion Modules. Here, I'm going to be Phase Bombing select planets back to the metaphorical stone age to cripple them without actually capturing the system. This will delay the 'control 2/3 of the galaxy' trigger condition for victory I am aiming for, and let me earn a higher eventual score.

Also, you'll note the Exterminator-pattern ship is technically illegal, since it carries no ship-to-ship weaponry (no Red stat). This was a design error, but I'm retconning my own house rules to allow offensive Specials like Phase Bombs or Smart Bombs to count as guns.

Day 0978

Very curious reports came today from the frontier, in the newly captured Quercus system where our forces are regrouping to make another push across the gulf of a red link. A single Chronomyst warship appeared, and was swiftly destroyed with minimal damage to our own fleet.

Post-battle analysis of enemy communications, however, indicated great confusion on the part of the xenos; they had apparently been part of a much larger flotilla intended to emerge in strength. Instead, this lightly armed cruiser appeared alone. The Mechanicus priests have begun development of a much more powerful drive system after great study, one better suited to the extensive turbulence of red-lane connections. Hopefully, this 'hyperdrive' installed into new, special war hulls will speed our conquest of foreign stars in His name.

Spoiler: Ugh
    Show

Well crap.

Take a look at the galaxy view above, from Day 0978, and at the unexplored Red Link visible in the foreground. What is there? Nothing. What was there on Day 0977? Four separate Oculon ships in transit. This means that I am, or will be, pitted against the Ungooma. These obnoxious little buggers have the ability to forcibly kick back any non-Ungooma ships from races they've met to thebeginning of the lane they are in. This works once every 90 days, and the AI loves to use it on cooldown. It's mildly irritating and delaying for star lanes, it's brutal for Red Links that take upwards of 80-90 days for natural travel. Meeting Ungooma as your first neighbor is like being shot in the kneecap before a marathon, since it makes Red Links effectively impassable before you research Red Link Hyperdrives. Luckily for me, that is very soon, but it'll still make pressing the assault much harder when I finally discover them.

Day 1000

A milestone, of one thousand Terran days since Vengeance of Sol first settled upon this benighted world never to rise again. Across our settled worlds, a day of celebration and prayer was declared in honor of how long the Emperor has shepherded us through danger and alien threats. May He see us succeed through another thousand, and yet ten more thousands beyond.

Day 1025

Rediscovered alloys from yet more hidden files within the Master STC have unlocked, along with the new hyperdrive devices. With our most potent weaponry, a new Divine-class battlecruiser line has begun construction, designed for independent command much as the Lunar-class cruiser originally set out to be. No longer will colony vessels travel with an assault ship escort, both roles now reside in one mighty hull.

The Tech-Priests, pleased with this success, have retired to mediate before investigating what marvels of archaeotech will be revealed to them next.

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION!!!
    Spoiler: Research Options
    Show

This is one of the few genuinely non-linear branching tech tree opportunities I get. I'll get them all eventually, since they'll be needed to progress down the tree, but the order I develop them in will affect my progress.

Door Number 1: Plasmatics

Plasmatrons are a new weapon. They're not any stronger than the current Molecular Disassociators my ships carry, but they function at double the range, making them the longest-range weapons in the game by base stats.

Door Number 2: Planetary Replenishment

Habitats are a high-functioning surface building that boosts Prosperity (Green) on a planet by 2, and also boosts maximum population by +3. Since every planet will otherwise run out of population before it runs out of space, and the only other way to boost population is constructing Outposts on a 1-1 basis (which do nothing else) or the higher-tech Metroplex, it's very valuable for maximizing tile use.

Terraforming is a surface 'building' that that converts uninhabitable Black tiles into inhabitable White tiles. It's also crucial for eventually fully-colonizing any planet other than Eden or Cornucopia class.

Door Number 3: Large Scale Construction

The Metroplex is effectively an arcology-like structure, that simultaneously combines the benefits of a Laboratory (+1 Research), Factory (+1 Industry), Agriplot (+1 Prosperity), and 2 Outposts (+2 Max Population) into a single tile. Once Metroplexes are available, a planet can build nothing else until the entire surface is in use without need to construct anything else.

Enormous-Class hulls are the grand-daddy of ship sizes. A medium-grade ship has 10 component slots, the newly developed Large hull has 15 slots, and Enormous-class vessels can carry a whopping 25 components.

Spoiler: State of the Galaxy
    Show

I lucked out again with a linear star path - the branch at Buntrosol petered out after a few systems, though it yielded another Enormous Cornucopia world in the process. This can't last forever, though, with another Red Link in front of me.

I've taken primacy from the Chronomyst, as seen above. My fleet is slightly larger, I have significantly more colonies, and am tied in research quality. The Oculons are in third place with a smaller fleet than the Chronomyst, and parity in colonies/tech.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-09-30 at 08:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Something's funky with your pictures; seems like a lot of them are in the wrong spots, not matching the associated text.
    ithilanor on Steam.

PC games:
    -Terraria
    -CK2
    -More Terraria
    -XCOM (2012)
    -also, Terraria

Backlog:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Recettear
    -Classic XCOM
    -SimCity 4
    -Q.U.B.E
    -Don't Starve
    -Hotline Miami
    -Freespace 2
    -The Last Express
    -Gateways
    -Theme Hospital

25. - Top - End - #25

Which ones look out of place? I vary between narrative text-picture and picture-narrative text in a few places, but everything looks like where it should be.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Large-scale construction seems the most appropriate to me. The Imperium does love their cartoonishly oversized war machines.
    A 20th level rogue can steal the shirt off a man's back. An epic rogue can steal a man's socks without touching his shoes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BardGuy

either large scale construction or the blasty. Because burning xenos is a worthy and noble goal.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Plasmatron if you keep running into planetary defenses, large scale construction otherwise. Habitats dont really give off the whole "Hive World" vibe as much as Metroplexes do.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Metroplexes always felt like cheating back when I played, with all of those benefits in one barrel. No need to ever build anything else!

Plasmatics.
    Currently playing as Polynesia in Civ 5 Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit Edition
    ... and also Rome in Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: The Empire Strikes Back
    ... and even the Zulu in Civ 5 Multiplayer 8: A Beyond Earth Prequel

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Large Scale Structures seem like the best immediate thematic fit for the Imperium of Man - if you can bear living without Habitats and Terraforming for that long, because I know all too well how obnoxious lacking them can be.

I've played Ascendancy countless times for countless hours, and I fully agree with your assessment, even with MoO2 being pretty much my most favourite game ever - had Ascendancy had a proper AI, it very well might have beaten MoO2, in spite of preceding it significantly. In terms of music, I feel like it still remains nigh unmatched even to this day (I'd often go into the diplomacy screen with an alien race or another, just to hear its respective theme music play...).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll