Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [M&M3] Heroes of the Evolution [OOC]

Here's the OOC thread guys.

Make sure to post your characters in here, and pick your character speech colors.

So we're going to start at a highway intersection (with a road on the bridge that goes across over another road). Spring Break has begun, and the rain that started earlier this morning has just stopped. You can start either in the traffic, or somewhere near it.

Player Roster

herdofcows as Scott Comito aka.Swathecutter [Powers: Enhanced hand-eye coordination and reflexes]

Batepope Scott as Maxwell Castle aka. Card Sharp [Powers: Kinetic Manipulation]

Hyperbolic sine as John Greyhawk aka. the Mysterious Stranger [Powers: Teleportation]

Raunchel as Hannah Moritz [Powers: Mind Control]

Forum Explorer as Philips Johannas aka. Tazer [Powers: Electrical manipulation]
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2014-09-11 at 04:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Flumph

Default Re: [M&M3] Heroes of the Evolution [OOC]

Okay, here's my humble submission. Mechanically, he's based on Bullseye. I'm hesitant to put up fluff seeing as I'm not 100% on the circumstances that lead to everyone getting their powers, but I'm essentially thinking a struggling middle school teacher who (post the event) wakes up with incredibly enhanced hand-eye coordination and reflexes. He's essentially become a kung-fu movie protagonist, and is going to be struggling desperately with giving into the thrill of it all vs. continuing his everyday life.

Spoiler: Scott Comito, aka Swathecutter
    Show

Scott Comito (Swathecutter)

75 pp: Abilities (28) + Powers (1) + Advantages (26) + Skills (12) + Defenses (8)

Non-Zero Abilities:
    Agility 5
    Dexterity 5
    Awareness 4

Defenses
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 0, Toughness 4/0, Will 5

Powers:
    Movement
    Safe Fall/Wall-Crawling (Full Speed), Check Required (12 Acrobatics), Tiring

Advantages:
    Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Hide in Plain Sight, Improvised Weapons 5, Move-By Action, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment & Cover), Takedown 2, Throwing Mastery 5, Uncanny Dodge

Non-Zero Skills: Acrobatics +10, Close Combat (Unarmed) +5, Expertise (Child Education) +2, Insight +6, Perception +4, Ranged Combat +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +10, Vehicles +7

Complications:
    Motivation: Thrills
    Scott's life is tiring, stressful, and overall difficult. He feels his dreams of helping children are being crushed slowly by a bureaucratic and underfunded school district, parents that can't or won't help, colleagues who are just waiting out the clock, and the general fact that 13 year olds are ****s. Being Swathecutter is one massive escape outlet, and a large part of him can't WAIT to take it.

Responsibility: His job
    Teaching middle school requires a lot of planning and forethought and careful time management. It is NOT conducive to having a sudden superhero situation being thrust into your lap.
    I shall pick THIS color!

And I think Scott will be mid-traffic, thankfully contemplating the prospect of break.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    And I think Scott will be mid-traffic,
    I... I will be? I had no idea.

Maxwell Castle, otherwise known as Card Sharp. He'll use Golden Rod, since I like that color. He'll be near traffic, probably on a bike.

Also, I vote for Silver City as a name. Sounds a little generic, but I like it; it'll be easy to remember.
    Last edited by Batpope Scott; 2014-09-10 at 01:09 PM.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

John Greyhawk, aka Mysterious Stranger

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Spoiler: Picture!
    Show
    Caucasian, with dark brown hair and emerald eyes, John is tall and slim. Being an office worker employed in an important company, he usually wears relatively formal clothes: a jacket over a shirt, plain trousers and a necktie; colours most often range in the black-grey spectrum (white for the shirt), though he does sometime wear something more colurful and/or casual.
    To conceal his identity, he wears (over his normal clothes) a brownish raincoat, a likewise brownish fedora and a pair of sunglasses with orange-yellow reflective lenses.

Spoiler: Life
    Show
    John is an office worker, employed in a big multinational company, confirmed bachelor and an enthusiast of 70s to 90s movies and tv shows; he usually spends his free time watching said shows or training in (mostly defensive) mixed martial arts.
    Once acquired his powers, he will certainly start fighting crime (and general evil) because he feels it's his responsibility, as a superpowered person, to do so, and because, after all, working in an office is boring! That said, he still has to earn a living, and being fired from work is not exactly something he eagerly awaits...but crime doesn't rest, nor does it respect working hours.

Spoiler: Powers
    Show
    John has a teleportation power that he can use in either of two "modes":
    - Wormhole Jumper: by warping space-time and creating a wormhole (also known as Einstein-Rosen bridge), he can travel almost instantly between two points as if they were contiguous - for what concerns him, he just made a single step - without much effort (though longer distances take a brief toll). Since he can reset momentum when teleporting, he can use subsequent "jumps" as a sort of makeshift flight.
    - Blink: by using continuos quick succession of extremely short range teleports, he renders himself much more difficult to hit while at the same time being able to warp his melee attacks through cover, concealment and parries. This short range jumps also let him perform more easily acrobatic stunts (such as instantly standing up from a prone position).
    Furthermore, like most other teleporters John has an uncanny perception of the space surrounding him, and can clearly percieve shape and position of whatever in his surroundings has a mass, regardless of his other senses. If one were to to try to describe what his perception is like, the closest things it could be compared to are a sonar or a shark's electroreception: both close enough, though John's spatial perception is not dependent on any medium (as it's the case, for the aforementioned 'senses', of respectively sonic waves and a conductor like water), has quite the good range and is not stopped by barriers or the like, since those things do not prevent something from having a mass (and thus bending space-time, which is what is percieved).

Also, I'd vote for Silver City...John will be commuting to work on a not-so-crowded bus.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Nexus characters
    RailITP characters

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Oh dear, the 'Scott' bit could get confusing, hmm?

6. - Top - End - #6

Only when I'm not really awake, like when I first read your post.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Just reserving a post and claiming magenta. I will add everything here tomorrow from my computer.

Spoiler: Hannah Moritz
    Show

Spoiler: The child
    Show
    A little black-haired girl sits in the back of a car, she’s no older than six and is rather skinny. She wears jeans and a blue T-shirt with Elmo on it. But there is something wrong with her, she looks as though she hasn’t slept for days, and she is crying. But that isn’t everything, she is shivering in the arms of a man that obviously is her father. He is heavy-set, and looks like his daughter, also showing a lack of sleep. In front of them the family’s mother is driving.

The man whispers to the child: “Hannah, I want you to know that we love you, just as much as we love your brothers.”

She seems to grasp that something is going to happen, something that she won’t like: “Why did they say goodbye? Where are we going?”

“A safe place, where they can help you. You are ill, Hannah, and we are bringing you to doctors who can help you”

More tears flow over the girl’s cheeks: “But, I want to stay with you, and mommy, and David, and Jacob. I don’t want to go to the doctors, they’re mean.”

“There is no other way, you need help. As soon as you’re better you will come back home, I promise.”

“Please, please, turn around, I don’t want to go. There’s nothing wrong with me!”

“There is, you know that, you said so yourself just before you left. You told me about school again, that you couldn’t bear it anymore, all the voices shouting in your head, all the images, while the classroom was quiet. You need help, and only these good doctors can be of any help to you now.”

“Can’t I just stay at home? I won’t shout, I won’t hurt anyone. Really. Just let me stay, please?”, she sounds desperate while the car stops on a boat.

Her mother turns around: “Hannah, just listen to us ok? We do this for you, so please, don’t make it any harder for us. We love you, you’re my little flower, but you need help, help that you can only get at St. Dymphna’s. We’re not saying that you are bad, you’re just ill, ill in your head.”

Spoiler: The Patient
    Show
    "Yes, Nightshade, that's me. I decided to use that name, and not the one that I was given as a child by parents who never loved me. Oh yes they said that they did, but who would send their child to this place? Calling her crazy and dangerous. I never wanted to be here, doctor, with all your medications, your talking and your devices.", the girl in the straight jacket whispers.

"But Hannah, "

"No! Don't call me that, that's not who I am, that is the name of the girl that never was. I am Nightshade!", the girl shouts in agitation. Her eyes become wider, this is important to her.

"Very well, Nightshade, but we try to help you here, to let you return to society.”, the woman behind the desk says. She sounds friendly, and makes for a complete contrast with the girl. The girl sits and is held firmly by bindings and a tall nurse. She is thin, hollow-eyed and agitated. She has wild black hair and except for the jacket she wears a simple nightshirt. The woman is plumb and has greying hair. She seems calm and collected, making notes of their conversation. “It is for your own good. Why did you choose Nightshade?”

Now the girl smiles: “Because I like the flowers, and what they say about them fits with how people see me. A name should fit to the common perception of the person. And it sounds dangerous, while nice. All of the parts are deadly, even the pretty ones. The berries look sweet and tasty, but if you try them, you die. And you don’t just die, no, you first become disconnected, seeing that which isn’t there, just like they say I do.”

The doctor makes more notes while the girl speaks. “And what do you see then, Ha, ehm, Nightshade?”

“I, ehm, I see things that are real, they are, but mostly I hear them. Yes, I hear that which isn’t in the same place. I know the truth, and they, they want to keep it hidden. It remains so unclear, I feel like I can almost reach it, but then it slips away again.”, a tear falls from her eye, and the girl sniffs.

“And who are they?”

“They, they are everyone, my parents, the nurses, the doctors, the government, the teachers. Everyone.”

“And why do they want to keep it hidden?”

“Because I could know everything, all their little secrets, all their desires and plans. And their fears. They are afraid of me, and that’s why they put me here.”, she raises her voice, as she becomes more agitated, she tries to lean towards the doctor, but the restraints keeps her in her place.

“And how do they stop you then?”

“By their medications, which, which you tell them to give me. You are one of them! You! You! You!”, the girl starts to struggle, shouting.

“This is useless, Betty, please give her 500 µl of her usual mixture.”, the woman sighs.

“No! no! Don’t do this to me! Don’t think that I cannot see it! I see it all!”, the restraints bite into her flesh, and the heavy chair starts to shake. “Let me go!”

The nurse places a syringe at the girl’s arm, injecting her with a clear substance. The girl remains struggling, but her movements become less and less violent. She tries to talk, but she can’t manage it, the words don’t make any sense anymore, and soon she falls into a deep sleep.

Spoiler: The monster
    Show
    ”Seventeen thousand four hundred and ninety-six”, whispers Hannah Moritz, who hates it when people use that name. She sits in a room. At least, officially it is a room, the actual characteristics of it have more in common with a cell. There are no windows, and the only light comes from a single bulb on the high ceiling. There is no furniture or decoration, only the thick white padding on the walls and floors. This is not where she normally stays, but for some reason she was moved here several weeks ago. She suspects that it is caused by the failure of her latest scheme to gain more freedom, the girl threatened to hit her head repeatedly, and would then accuse the staff. Unfortunately they simply threw her into this room. In retrospect it might not have been the best idea she ever had. At least she is alone, but she hears things, flards of voices and other sounds. She shouts at the top of her lungs: "Shut up!" but nothing happens.

“Seventeen thousand four hundred and ninety-seven.” They tell her that those sounds aren't there, that there is something wrong with her, that she is ill. But all that is a lie. A huge, terrible lie because they hate her. There must be more to what she hears, and they try to hide it. Yes, that must be it. From the ceiling she hears a voice: "Hannah, go to the corner."

The first time she was in such a room, years and years ago, the girl decided to resist. They had put her there because a boy had taken a toy, she doesn't remember what it was anymore, but she does know that she had almost succeeded in clawing out his eyes. Anyways, she just stayed in her place, sitting in front of the door. They told her repeatedly that she had to move, but she kept refusing. Eventually they gave up and Nightshade had won. But when she was asleep they seized her and put her in a straitjacket. She learned her lesson. She has to be nice, otherwise they will never let her out again. So she stands up and does what she is told. She stops her counting, she doesn't know what she was counting, but the endless succession of numbers helps her pass the time. She however has to remember where she was, last night she fell asleep and this morning she had to start over again.

Two nurses lead their patient to a bathroom, there are no sanitary facilities in the padded room. This is her first visit of the day, and afterwards she is given a short shower. The water is cold, and Nightshade drinks from the stream as it washes over her face, she is thirsty. After the shower she is fed, her arms tied behind a chair. They are careful while doing it, the girl has tried to bite people before. She never eats much, but today she eats even less as she starts to feel unwell.

She is brought back to her room, and the shouts in her head become louder and louder. They become clearer as well, far clearer than they normally are. But there are so many, it is hard to separate them. When she is alone again she has lost her count, but she keeps hearing voices. The walls don’t stop them. She shouts: “Shut up!”, but nothing happens.

She closes her eyes, and after a while starts to recognize some of the voices. They become clearer to her. There aren’t only voices now, she also sees, as though what a dozen people see overlap in front of her eyes. She starts to feel sick. She opens her eyes, but it doesn’t help, the images don’t go away. She no longer just hears voices, she hears other sounds as well, and she starts to taste things, to feel things, even in her empty hands.

She tries to force it all to stop, but nothing helps. She focuses. She takes one vision and watches it intently, with her eyes closed. It helps, it makes the others go to the background. And there are sounds belonging to it, feelings, sensations. She forces the vision to look down. It is a struggle, as though it doesn’t want to, but in the end it moves like she wants to. Beneath her she sees the body of an orderly. She feels her body as though it is her own. Someone says: “Hey, Anne, what are you looking at?”

The struggle returns, but she is stronger now, and turns the head to the side where the voice came from. She tries to speak, but it comes out garbled, the resistance is too strong. “Mwoithing”

“Are you all right?”, the voice asks.

Anne wants to call for help, but she is suppressed. She feels what is in the hands, a bottle and she leaps at the other orderly, striking her head with the hard glass. At the last moment Anne notices what she is about to do, and wrestles for control again, but it’s too late and the bottle connects with a sickening sound.

Nightshade opens her eyes again, all the images are still there but she has lost control. She can however hear screaming through her mind, and sees what she has done. She starts to giggle.

Spoiler: Statistics
    Show
    Abilities 12PP
    Strength -2 ; Stamina -2; Agility 0; Dexterity -2; Fighting -1; Intellect 5; Awareness 3; Presence 5

Defenses
    Dodge 0; Parry -1; Toughness -2; Fortitude-2; Will 3

Skills 8PP
    Deception: 5
    Persuasion: 4
    Ranged Combat: 7

Powers 43
    Cumulative Mind control 5 ranks: 25

Area selective Subtle (2) Communication 1 rank: 8

Effortless Sensory Link Feedback Language Limited Mind Control 5 ranks: 10

Mental Blast 3 ranks: 12

Advantages 1
    Eidetic Memory
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-09-11 at 04:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well here's Tazer , and I'll update his Equipment soon.

Here's what he looks like in his altered form.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's see how Bolded Yellow looks.

Yeah still too bright and unbearable.

Let's try bolded Gold
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2014-09-10 at 02:59 PM.
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

9. - Top - End - #9

Okay guys, the IC thread is up!

I don't mean to get this thing started so quickly, but since I've been itching for some M&M 3e, and that we have a good handful of players (here and there), I figured why not get this game started!!!

Again, no rush or pressure.

You can jump into the IC thread when you're ready.
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2014-09-10 at 09:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay, so now the big origin story begins!

11. - Top - End - #11

Better get a good waft through the area, Mr. Cloud. I'm pretty sure you're either murdering or empowering dozens upon dozens of people.

Would I be right in assuming we all just got a huge whiff of some form of aerial mutagen?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Batpope Scott View Post
    Better get a good waft through the area, Mr. Cloud. I'm pretty sure you're either murdering or empowering dozens upon dozens of people.

Would I be right in assuming we all just got a huge whiff of some form of aerial mutagen?
    You would be correct, my good sir.

13. - Top - End - #13

Just as a note, Max's feet glow bright blue as he runs which is incredibly noticeable to anybody able to see anything through the cloud.

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Check to stand up as a free action:

(1d20+10)[26]

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

Do I see anything, Perception-wise, beyond the gas and (possibly) Max's feet?

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

This still a thing?

17. - Top - End - #17

I'd like to know as well, since it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sorry for the delay everybody. The printer wouldn't print, and the next thing I knew the internet was taken down to fix the problem.

I apologize to keep you waiting for a while.

But now that I'm on, we'll get to some hero time shortly.

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

Oh! Oh my. Oh dear. Well, carry on as you will!

20. - Top - End - #20

Yay! I can't wait.

On another note, I'm wondering if running back into the cloud was dumb even if it was arguably the most heroic action.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batpope Scott View Post
    Yay! I can't wait.

On another note, I'm wondering if running back into the cloud was dumb even if it was arguably the most heroic action.
    I am still in tge process of being saved, so there's nothing wrong with it.:)

22. - Top - End - #22

Flumph

Rolling initiative. Do I get a surprise action or do I have a score to beat if I want to act?

(1d20+5)[6]

Edit: . . . Well, THAT'S an auspicious start!!!
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2014-09-15 at 05:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    Rolling initiative. Do I get a surprise action or do I have a score to beat if I want to act?

[roll0]

Edit: . . . Well, THAT'S an auspicious start!!!
    Tell me about it.
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

24. - Top - End - #24

I can already tell that we're all going to have so much fun!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Routine (because of Skill Mastery) Perception check using spatial perception: 16 (Accurate, Counters All Concelament, Counters Illusions, Penetrates Concealment, Radius; -1/100ft). Does John notice the hostile mutants?

Initiative for when it will be needed - (1d20+3)[7]

Nexus characters
    RailITP characters

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    Routine (because of Skill Mastery) Perception check using spatial perception: 16 (Accurate, Counters All Concelament, Counters Illusions, Penetrates Concealment, Radius; -1/100ft). Does John notice the hostile mutants?

[roll0]
    He does.

Edit: BTW, the IC thread has been updated. Have fun everyone.
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2014-09-16 at 11:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    He does.
    How distant is the gargoyle?

Nexus characters
    RailITP characters

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do I suddenly feel like the damsel in distress here?

I will make a proper post when I'm back to my books, so I can do all the important stuff.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just so you know, unless the gargoyle is too far (or she manages to free herself on her own) John will (try to) free Hannah with a hit-and-run teleport (aka the Turnabout extra).
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2014-09-16 at 12:45 PM.

Nexus characters
    RailITP characters

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    How distant is the gargoyle?
    It is about 60 ft in the air, flying over the commotion.

How far did you say that river bank was?